Casting creature with enchant before instant?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's my first main phase, I cast a 2/2 and also want to cast an enchantment that gives the 2/2 +2/+2. Does my opponent have time to interrupt the enchantment with a Pillar of Flame or something similar, even if I declare that I am casting both the creature and enchantment at once?
It's my first main phase, I cast a 2/2 and also want to cast an enchantment that gives the 2/2 +2/+2. Does my opponent have time to interrupt the enchantment with a Pillar of Flame or something similar, even if I declare that I am casting both the creature and enchantment at once?

He can't with Pillar of Flame because of its sorcery speed. But he absolutly could respond to the casting the enchantent on your creature with a Shock which would kill the creature before the enchantment resolved.  Both the creature and the enchantment would go to the graveyard.
Unless the creature and enchantment have flash you won't be able to do that.  Also it depends on the kind of enchantment you are talking about, I assume you mean an aura, and for an aura the creature would need to exist on the battlefield before you cast it.  Either way they won't be able to cast pillar of flame in response because pillar of flame is a sorcery.  Now if it was something like shock they would be able to respond to the enchantment being cast and destroy the creature before the enchantment can resolve.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

You cannot cast a two spells "at once," ever.  That's why the stack exists in the first place -- to make sense of how to resolve things.  You can cast one spell, and then respond to it with another one, but that's not "at once," that is one spell, then another spell.  And even then, you can't cast a creature spell, and then respond with an Aura to enchant that creature right away for two reasons: 1) You can't target a creature spell that hasn't entered the battlefield as a creature yet, and 2) Aura enchantments can't be cast unless the stack is empty during your main phase (or the Aura has flash via something like Leyline of Anticipation or Vedalken Orrery.

Anyway, after you resolve your 2/2 creature spell, it will enter the battlefield, and as the active player you have priority to cast your Aura enchantment.

However, your opponent can simply respond to your Aura with Pillar of Flame, which will resolve first and destroy your Grizzly Bears (or whatever 2/2 you happen to have Tongue Out).

Edit - D'oh!  Beaten to the punch, and I neglected to check that Pillar of Flame is a sorcery.  For shame!

Anyway, as mentioned above, Pillar of Flame can't be cast by your opponent in this scenario, since it's a sorcery.  However, Shock/Lightning Bolt/any other suitable instant spell would obviously do fine.
Thanks guys, and sorry, should've used shock as an example
Nitpick
He can't with Pillar of Flame because of its sorcery speed.

Be aware that using the words «sorcery SPEED» has a serious disadvantage:
it propagates a very common misconception about Magic.

Magic is NOT a game of speed-play and reflexes: it a thinkers' game, like chess.
The actions of one player do not have to be hasty:
there's a thing called PRIORITY that goes back and forth between players.   
When a player HAS Priority, he's allowed to take his time (whitin reasonable limits) and think about his play. No rush.
When a player HAS Priority, the OTHER player(s) have nothing but the right to remain silent:
they can perform NO game action.
And players always get a grip at Priority after someone else does anything. So, no sweat.
Wait for your time, and then take your time.

The term you should have used is «sorcery TIMING».  
( and «instant timing» ) 

You might believe this is trivial distinction: think again!
Check what Bascotie said in his initial question:  
«...even if I declare that I am casting both the creature and enchantment at once»
Obviously, that player still carry some misconceptions about the way this game should be played.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Sign In to post comments