Living Death scenario

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I cast Living Death.  One of the creatures I put onto the battlefield is The Mimeoplasm; one of my opponents gets a Phantasmal Image.  I have the intention of making The Mimeoplasm an Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, but then my opponent wants to make his Image Ulamog as well.  I'm curious as to what exactly happens here:  Will the Image be restricted to the cards that are currently on the battlefield, making Ulamog a non-clone-able option, or can my opponent wait to see what I turn The Mimeoplasm into and then make his Image that, or will it enter the battlefield as a regular old 0/0 The Mimeoplasm and legend-ruling both of them before mine turns into Ulamog, or is there some sort of other crazy thing that happens that we haven't thought of?

Rules Advisor

They won't be able to copy anything with the image.  For the image to be able to copy a creature, that creature must exist on the battlefield at the time the image is entering the battlefield, at that time all creatures will be entering so the image would enter as a 0/0 phantasmal image.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Weird.  I didn't think you were right (no offense to you), but I checked Gatherer and it said the same thing.  Thanks.

Rules Advisor

How is Ulamog even in a graveyard?
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
because he triggers from there
Progenitus doesn't go to the graveyard, but the Eldrazi do
proud member of the 2011 community team

Unless they are casting Living Death as an instant..... 

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
let's say Yixlid Jailer then ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Alright.....!

Unless they are casting Living Death as an instant..... 

It doesn't matter.  Ulamog's trigger can't go on the stack until the living death has completly resolved.  The mimoplasm on the other hand has a replacement effects that changes how it enters the battlefield.  The ulamog would be exiled by the mimoplasm before the trigger to shuffle ulamog would even be put on the stack. 

All of this happens of course because ulamog would have to be on the battlefield when living death was cast for it to be in the graveyard.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Doesn't Living Death temporarily exile all creature on the battlefield, then returns creatures in grave to the battlefield, then puts exiled creatures into the grave?

So at what point is Ulamog going from the grave to the battlefield?  Presuming that he was on the battlefield when Living Death was cast.
Doesn't Living Death temporarily exile all creature on the battlefield, then returns creatures in grave to the battlefield, then puts exiled creatures into the grave?

So at what point is Ulamog going from the grave to the battlefield?

In the situation described in the opening post, Ulamog must have been on the battlefield before Living Death resolved. It was sacrificed, so it was in the graveyard as Living Death put The Mimeoplasm onto the battlefield from exile.

So at what point is Ulamog going from the grave to the battlefield?  Presuming that he was on the battlefield when Living Death was cast.

No it temporarily exiles the creature cards in the graveyard, it then sacrifices the creatures on the battlefield, putting them all in the graveyard, before putting the cards exiled with living deat onto the battlefield.  Since at that point the ulamog is in the graveyard the mimoplasm can copy it as it enters the battlefield.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

No it temporarily exiles the creature cards in the graveyard, it then sacrifices the creatures on the battlefield, putting them all in the graveyard, before putting the cards exiled with living deat onto the battlefield.  Since at that point the ulamog is in the graveyard the mimoplasm can copy it as it enters the battlefield.

Oh yeah, I got that backwards.  I shouldn't post before coffee.

That's exactly what happened:  Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre was on the battlefield when Living Death was cast and resolved.  It was placed in the graveyard and triggering its ability, but the ability doesn't go on the stack until Living Death is finished resolving.  Since it was in the graveyard at the time, it is a viable option to be The Mimeoplasm-ed.  After Living Death is done, Ulamog's trigger goes on the stack.  Its controller will still shuffle their graveyard away, but not Ulamog since it is exiled.

Rules Advisor

That's exactly what happened:  Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre was on the battlefield when Living Death was cast and resolved.  It was placed in the graveyard and triggering its ability, but the ability doesn't go on the stack until Living Death is finished resolving.  Since it was in the graveyard at the time, it is a viable option to be The Mimeoplasm-ed.  After Living Death is done, Ulamog's trigger goes on the stack.  Its controller will still shuffle their graveyard away, but not Ulamog since it is exiled.

NVM.  Didn't read Mimeoplasm correctly.

Why is Ulamog exiled?  If it was on the battlefield when Living Death was cast, then it is in the GY waiting for the spell to resolve so its ability can go on the stack.  Once LD finishes, Ulamog's ability can resolve and it will still be in the GY waiting to be shuffled into the library.  LD has you exile the GY and then has you sac your creatures.  if it were the other way around, it would not be in the GY to be targetted by Mimeoplasm.

1. Ulamog on the battlefield, Mimeoplasm in the graveyard.

2. Graveyard exiled, including Mimeoplasm.

3. Creatures sacrificed, Ulamog goes to grave. Abilty triggers.

4. Exiled cards enter the battlefield. Mimeoplasm exiles Ulamog as part of its replacement effect.

5. Triggered ability goes on the stack, but Ulamog is exiled, not in the graveyard.

Rules Nut Advisor

Why is Ulamog exiled?  If it was on the battlefield when Living Death was cast, then it is in the GY waiting for the spell to resolve so its ability can go on the stack.  Once LD finishes, Ulamog's ability can resolve and it will still be in the GY waiting to be shuffled into the library.  LD has you exile the GY and then has you sac your creatures.  if it were the other way around, it would not be in the GY to be targetted by Mimeoplasm.

1. Ulamog on the battlefield, Mimeoplasm in the graveyard.

2. Graveyard exiled, including Mimeoplasm.

3. Creatures sacrificed, Ulamog goes to grave. Abilty triggers.

4. Exiled cards enter the battlefield. Mimeoplasm exiles Ulamog as part of its replacement effect.

5. Triggered ability goes on the stack, but Ulamog is exiled, not in the graveyard.

Man you are fast.  I tried to edit that before anyone saw it
Sign In to post comments