Fighter or Berserker?

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been playing a Fighter in a three people group, as the main melee/defender (an Avenger being the second melee), and i have to admit i have failed horribly at building my character. I will not get into details on how much fail, but lets just say i get beat up more often than the Avenger is.

Thus, i decided to rebuild my character. I have come up with a Fighter build, and i would like opinions on if it is going ok. I have also considered going Berserker (Arid Desert because thematically i would like my character to wear cloth), but i do not know if he is equal, superior or inferior to a fighter in terms of defending while damaging.

Fighter:
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 6 Longtooth Shifter, Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Two-handed Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
 Str 19, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 14 Will: 19
HP: 56 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS Intimidate +7, Endurance +10, Athletics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +4, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +3, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +3, Stealth +4, Streetwise +2, Thievery +4

FEATS Level 1: Improved Initiative
Level 2: Superior Will
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 6: Heavy Armor Agility

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Footwork Lure
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter daily 1: Lasting Threat
Fighter utility 2: Battle Fury Stance
Fighter encounter 3: Dance of Steel
Fighter daily 5: Nimble Bladestorm
Fighter utility 6: Ignore Weakness

ITEMS Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Magic Drakescale Armor +2, Shielding Blade Fullblade +1

Any comment, idea, suggestion and advice is welcome. The only things set is my race and a heavy blade waepon. Also i would like to stick with one of these two classes, deviation is not that welcome.

Thanks.
'I get beat up more often than the Avenger is'

That's failing on a defender? Since when?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I do not mean the focus, but the fact that the avenger has a better Armor Class than me.
Depending on who you talk to, Fighter is either the best class in 4e, or just one of the best classes in 4e.  It has solid powers and more support than anything else.

Berserker can be perfectly serviceable, but if you're talking optimization, Fighter is going to win out.

You're going to want Expertise before any of those feats you took.
Not trying to be rude, but... why a fullblade?  Spend that feat slot on a bastard sword, lose a bit of damage for the ability to carry a shield (will help out your terrible reflex as well).  You'll lose 1 average damage on a swing, and high crit, which overall is very little damage.  Your d5... I'd need a pretty big reason to not take rain of steel.
More of a personal whim, i dislike shields in general.

Also i used rain of steel on my current character, i have to admit that either i misjudged when to use it or it is not as good as it seems (probably misjudged its usage though).
Berserker is a Striker that happens to have a pair of Defender features for some reason. Anyway, your AC is low because of your fullblade. If you're set on it (i.e., you don't want to swap for either a one-hander or a polearm), you should consider upgrading to plate.

Bastard Swords aren't worth the feat, though, so don't bother with one if you decide to go one-handed and pick up a shield. 
Shields offer a ton of defensive potential, and great feat/power support for a fighter.  While you can do good damage as a fighter, don't get fooled into thinking that's your priority.  Your job is to defend, and shields help you stick around longer in the fight.

If you're dead set against a shield, you might consider hybrid Cleric | Fighter.  There are a lot of strength based weapon powers from the cleric list, and you'll get access to Battle Cleric's Lore to patch your AC and scale proficiency, and a heal you can use on yourself if needed.  Both classes have copious amounts of feat and power support.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
The Avenger asked if he could multiclass into cleric and get Battle Cleric's Lore instead of Hearler's lore. If that passes, should i just get that feat too to get a +2 shield bonus? A greatspear is not out of the question though.
You really don't need all that Wis. As a fighter, your primary stat is STR, and wis and dex kind of rank as double-secondaries unless you're going very build-specific. Your wis will help you if you spend a lot of feats on it, but right now it's mostly just giving you bonuses to combat superiority. As good as combat superiority is, you need some dex to give you a decent init (admittedly addressable with battle-wise, but also) and you need it to boost your pathetic reflex. Fighter is one of the few classes in 4e who'se not done a huge disservice by having some spread out scores. 

I'de suggest something more like this for your level 1 scores, and then dropping your boost into wis and STR.

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

This will let you qualify for both the superior defense feats in will (Superior Will, which is absolutely awesome), and Superior Reflexes (which is also pretty nice) later in your career. The dex gives you a decent bonus to AC as well, meaning that it might become more worthwhile to downgrade to hide if you decided to go a more dex-y build (say, taking a race that goes STR/DEX.)  

You also will qualify for a lot of really good martial feats with 16 dex.  

The Avenger asked if he could multiclass into cleric and get Battle Cleric's Lore instead of Hearler's lore. If that passes, should i just get that feat too to get a +2 shield bonus? A greatspear is not out of the question though.

Yeah, most DMs let you swap the features out, even though Character Builder doesn't let you. Issue there is that you're still left with a piss-poor reflex. because battle-cleric's only works on AC.  
And? Ignore Zhara's words here - WIS *IS* your secondary. This is because Will is the most powerful NAD defense, it opens up access to Superior Will, and it has feats such as Marked Scourge and Slashing Storm to make you harder to ignore. All DEX gets you is a weapon mastery feat, and you don't really need the mastery.

Anyway, if you want more AC, BCL is good, but the real killer is not it - it's Bloodiron Armor. Get it and then go to work. The +2 to AC is a lifesaver, and will keep your armor class decent throughout your career.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
A warforged fighter  can use a 2 hander & attach a shield if your really set on using one.
A warforged fighter  can use a 2 hander & attach a shield if your really set on using one.

No they can't. You can't wield anything with a shield hand. An attached heavy shield hand can hold things as if it was a light shield, but the light shield is unchanged if attached.
Have you considered going sword and board if AC is your primary concern?  A bastard sword is still pretty respectable.  You also have very low DEX so the shield's Reflex bonus would help that out.  

If you don't like that option, then Plate armor proficiency is another option for even more AC.  It would require rearranging your starting stats, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Plate can come in the Bloodiron enchantment for even more AC as well.

How many creatures are you running into that are pummeling your Will save?  Is there a need to take Superior Will so early in the game, particularly with a decent Will save from Wisdom secondary?  As a side note, do you need to start with 18 WIS?  Longtooths are funneled into the +2 WIS, so you could start at 18STR, 16CON, 14WIS for solid starting HP (without background) and Healing Surges, a decent WIS score, and your starter STR.  The higher CON score also lets you pick up the plate proficiency mentioned earlier.  You'll pick up 15WIS at your level 4 bump so you'll still qualify for Superior Will and such.  The Paragon and Epic level feat support for Wisdom mod damage helps damage output, but it's a difference of 2 damage on each of the previously mentioned feats.

I think your power selection could be better.  I'd look at the following instead:
D1: Driving Attack or Villian's Menace
U2: Glowering Threat - You mention having low AC, so Battle Fury Stance seems counter-productive)
E3: Sweeping Blow - Having a Burst 1 as an Encounter is much better than as a Daily (Nimble Bladestorm, your D5)
D5: Bedeviling Assault - Love this thing with strikers around.  Rain of Steel is also great!
U6:  Fine.
And? Ignore Zhara's words here - WIS *IS* your secondary. This is because Will is the most powerful NAD defense, it opens up access to Superior Will, and it has feats such as Marked Scourge and Slashing Storm to make you harder to ignore. All DEX gets you is a weapon mastery feat, and you don't really need the mastery.

Anyway, if you want more AC, BCL is good, but the real killer is not it - it's Bloodiron Armor. Get it and then go to work. The +2 to AC is a lifesaver, and will keep your armor class decent throughout your career.

And if you'de bothered to look at the statscore I built for him, it intentionally made sure he qualified for superior will. He also qualifies for superior reflexes, which he's going to need to compete if he's not going to wear a shield of any variety. Wis, as good as it is, when stacked up as high as he's got it, is hurting his defenses too much to justify. Without having some kind of direct defensive feature benefiting from wis (say an AC bonus), he's going to need to split his scores up more. 

Having 17 dex gves you a LOT more than a weapon mastery feat. For example, you can pick up  Defensive advantage, which is a stacking +2 AC bonus on CA, which he's likely to have if he's got another melee. (Admittedly, he's got an avenger, but I have no idea what censure it is, so I've no idea if it will be with the group.) He can get Scale spec, which will also be necessary for patching up his weak AC. Most imporantly, he can get Heavy Blade oportunity, which will let him use an at-will on op attacks and still get the benefit from his Combat Challenge that you're so eager to buff.
I don't care about combat challenge (which is combat superiority, rather). The important part is not getting hit by stuns and dominates, particularly the latter. That is worth far, far more than HBO, mastery, and defensive advantage, as one's mostly useless, one is handy but not particularly on-role, and one loses value as you level, because less attacks target AC each tier.
I don't care about combat challenge (which is combat superiority, rather). The important part is not getting hit by stuns and dominates, particularly the latter. That is worth far, far more than HBO, mastery, and defensive advantage, as one's mostly useless, one is handy but not particularly on-role, and one loses value as you level, because less attacks target AC each tier.

He's playing a home game, there's no telling what defenses get attacked less or more at high teir. I also disagree that scale spec is a feat that gets worse as you level. Sure +1 to ac isn't much, but when you're short on defensive stats to begin with because you've got a giant sword, you need every point you can game out of the system. He's also only losing out on 1 point of will with the stat score I gave him, as he's probably going to continue leveling it afterwards. There is no reason to have wisdom 20 at level 8 on a fighter. Split-primary-scoring with an offstat that doesn't give you some sort of super-pertinent class feature is just a bad plan all around.

The build you're suggesting also leaves him with a gaping hole in the reflex department, as he won't get 15 reflex until epic without dropping points into it. It means that every Todd, Chuck, and Jane with a dress and a staff will hit him with ease. 

"fewer attacks target AC each tier."
For a D5, depending on how your cooperation with the Avenger is, look into Bedeviling Assault.

Why, by the way, would the Avenger want MC Cleric for BCL, can someone explain that to me?
For a D5, depending on how your cooperation with the Avenger is, look into Bedeviling Assault.

Why, by the way, would the Avenger want MC Cleric for BCL, can someone explain that to me?

Remember, BCL gives you a +2 shield bonus to AC regardless of whether you actually put on scale or not. Since Avengers don't usually get shield bonuses to AC, that's +2 AC for a feat, which is a pretty darn good option given that it stacks with UA.
Have you thought about going for Polearm stuff along with a great spear or glaive. Easy enough to qualify going the Longtooth shifter route. Being a fighter your as much a controller as a defender.
Stats wise go with: 16+2(18)/13/14/8/14+2(16)/10  bump STR/WIS at all chances and take Hafted defense along with Plate Prof. if you would like.
FEATS: (Use the Glaive as weapon)
1. Expertise of flavor( I like Polearm)
2. Hafted Defense
4. Armor Prof. Plate or Mobile challenge. You could also look for something to up your threat level here.
6. Improved defenses(Save superior will until eary paragon) 
8. Forceful Opportunist
10. Blade Opportunist
You will qualify for all your polearm/HBO in paragon.
Powers wise i might look at Driving Attack or Villians Menace @Lvl 1 and Bedeviling assault or Rain of steel @Lvl 5.
These are just some ideas.
First, stick with Fighter, not Berserker. If you want a 2hander, then it's ok, there are plenty of options to build a good defender.
If your DM allows the MC Claric trick to grab BCL, definitely do it. Not only it will net you a +2 to AC, which is worth a feat use, but it also gives you access to Tactical Warpriest, a solid PP for a Defender that lets you double dip into punishment (since CC is an Immediate, and the TW feature is an OA, with all its attached bonuses). And as soon as you'll hit 19, you can potentially be triple-hitting the BBEG, by using Strike of the Watchful Guard. Picture a Solo faced with 3 different attacks each time it ignores your mark :P

Consider Pinning Challenge, immobilizing your enemy in-between you and the Avenger will be quite useful. I went with a Shifter build up to 16, with MC Cleric and Tactical Warpriest, so you can take a look at it.
I actually did start with a higher Dex than Wis, but keep bumping Wis at all chances. I didn't originally plan for Mastery, rather, I was aiming for Scale Armor Spec, which is +1AC and no speed penalty. With that being 15Dex at Paragon and losing a +1 modifier to Wisdom, I went a point further so you can reach 17Dex at Epic and still keep a solid Wis score for Will and such.
I think we can live with 26Wis instead of 28 at max level, can't we.

Show

level 16
Longtooth Shifter, Fighter, Tactical Warpriest
Build: Great Weapon Fighter
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 11, Wis 20, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 32 Fort: 32 Reflex: 26 Will: 29
HP: 127 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 31

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +12, Endurance +16, Athletics +21, Heal +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +13, History +8, Insight +17, Nature +13, Perception +17, Religion +8, Stealth +11, Streetwise +7, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 2: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Wary Fighter
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Divine Healer
Level 11: Pinning Challenge
Level 12: Superior Will
Level 14: Marked Scourge
Level 16: Armor Specialization (Scale)

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace
Fighter utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 3: Parry and Riposte
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Bedeviling Assault
Fighter utility 10: Clearheaded
Fighter encounter 13: Bash and Pummel (replaces Hack and Hew)
Fighter daily 15: Unyielding Avalanche (replaces Rain of Steel)
Fighter utility 16: Tyrian Battle Stance

ITEMS
Master's Blade Fullblade +3, Bloodiron Wyvernscale Armor +3, Periapt of Cascading Health +3, Strikebacks (heroic tier), Boots of Eagerness (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (paragon tier), Helm of Battle (heroic tier)

Note that the builder doesn't let me swap out Healer's Lore for BCL, so you would have a further +2 to AC, and another +2 on top of that when you hit thanks to Bloodiron. That means 36AC at 16, not too shabby ;p
I have to admit i am confused as to what to do. I took note on the power selection, will change that.

As for the armor/Dex/Wis thing, if i am not mistaken, at my level a hide user with 16 dex would get 10+3(lvl)+3(Dex)+3(hide)+2(ench)=21 AC. A scale user (with drakescale) would have 10+8(drakescale)+3(lvl)+2(ench)=23.

Yes, reflex will be awfully low and i will not qualify for Heavy Blade Opportunist  or Superior Reflexes until epic, but Reflex can be patched up with Lightning Reflexes and later retrained to Superior Reflexes.

I was thinking of Son of Mercy as my PP, i cant say that i really like divine characters, will look into Tactical Warpriest though. I also took note of the 18/15/16 at Str/Dex/Wis. 

Show
level 6 Longtooth Shifter, Fighter

FINAL ABILITY
SCORES Str 19, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 17 Will: 18
HP: 56 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS Intimidate +7, Endurance +10, Athletics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +5, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, History +3, Insight +6, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +3, Stealth +5, Streetwise +2, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 2: Improved Initiative Level
4: Superior Reflexes Level
6: Superior Will

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Footwork Lure
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel

ITEMS Magic Drakescale Armor +2, Shielding Blade Fullblade +1, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier)

Patched nads, 17 dex at epic, qualifing for most feats i will probably need, a decent wisdom score to use Marked Scourge and Slashing Storm as well as Son of Mercy. We get a +1 per tier to attack rolls, so expertise only gives the riders. May be worth it but will consider taking it later.
How does this seem to you? 
You don't need all those defense boosters under level 10 imo.
Also, don't take Superior Reflexes, take Improved Defenses, which will also boost your Fortitude, a better defense overall than Reflexes. Stuff that aims for Ref is usually just damage so it's the safer NAD to have low.
I'd take Weapon Focus tbh, extra damage isn't bad, considering you have to punish enemies. I'd say: Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Mobile Challenge, Improved Defenses. But that's just me.
I'm with Arel on this one. I'de hold off on both superior feats until paragon, unless you just don't have any other good feats to take. 

Additionally, your hide/ scale computation is a bit off (elven chain shirt, and a couple other things), but the hide idea is usually something you only do if you're going hard dex secondary. You would want to go scale with this build, but you will have difficulty keeping your AC up later on due to the bad scaling equasion. 

I'de really suggest grabbing blood-iron armor if you're going scale, and also MCing cleric for the shield bonus. Later on, you're going to be able to spend some feats to add your shield bonus to your will and fort, if things still hit you in those defenses (which they will).

At level 1-6, for feats, my suggestions are:

1) Fullblade Prof
2) Two-hand expertise
4) MC Cleric
6) Free feat*

*If you want to take Imp init, retrain it to Battlewise at level 8, when your wis gets to +4. that way when you hit level 14, it goes to +5. You also might consider Fluttering Leaf Style if you have a flanking buddy. If you can't come up with anything, Mobile challenge and weapon focus are always options.
If you are playing a true defender as a fighter, you really want a shield.  With the power and feat support they have, I can't argue for anything else.
Changed my feats to those Arel suggested. As for the feat i do not know if the DM will let it roll, if that is the case i will surely take it. Some more info on Elven Chainmail are welcome. What other things are off in my calculations? Assuming level 6 of course.

The problem with expertise feats is that with the houserule our DM introduced they only offer the rider effects. Also sorry, i am dead set on not using a shield. Would the shield feats that boost nads (their discription is "shield bonus applies to will/fort) apply with Battle Cleric's Lore?

For feats, Improved Initiative, Sturdy Shifter, Warry Fighter (though i think it will be handy later on), MC monk for Flurry and Perception (if cleric shield bonus is not available), Longtooth Fury, Impending Doom Style, Resilient Focus are the feats that catch my eye for heroic. Any suggestions or ideas there?
Basically, if you were going to run hide armor, you'de need reflex another point higher, putting you at 22 (the goal would be to have 17 reflex in paragon.) Add that to Elven Chain Shirt, which gives you another +1 AC, and you're at 23. 

Again, with the build you've got right now, just take Scale.

Yes, Wary Shield etc. works with Battle Cleric's lore. 

Also, your dm is really set on making you guys miss then, as the expertise feats do exist for a reason (unless he's rolled the +1 per teir into your characters for free, in which case he's not a jerk.)
Nope, it is free, though it does not stack with the experise feats.
Also sorry, i am dead set on not using a shield.

Then accept the fact you're going to get hit more if the DM doesn't "house rule" BCL.

It really is as simple as that. The Avenger can get very good defenses also, so take that in to account for your perception.
Read this:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24861409/Harder_than_a_Rock:_The_Fighters_Handbook

Redesign your character, bearing in mind what your role is. Also bear in mind 4e heavily encourages refluffing.

Repost character and then ask for advice.
Well, if the multiclass on Battle Cleric's Lore passes i can have the same AC as with a heavy shield. If not i am 2 points of AC behind.

@alcestis, the truth is i did not have a defender in mind when i joined the group, but fighter seemed the best way to go. Of course i was wrong, but since i like the class even if it does not match exactly my needs i want to roll with that and be effective. I have read most of the handbook, but even in desinging a more "traditional" fighter i do not want to go weapon_1 and board. 

Then accept the fact you're going to get hit more if the DM doesn't "house rule" BCL.

It really is as simple as that. The Avenger can get very good defenses also, so take that in to account for your perception.

It's not "ecactly" a houe rule. Technically, clerics are allowed to swap healer's lore for BCL. When you MC cleric, you become a cleric, and gain Healer's Lore. When you get a retrain (the same elvel you get the feat), you can use your retrain to get BCL. Either way, Character builder won't let you do it, but it's pretty legal in terms of RAW (though it smells strongly of dairy, so you need to ask your DM.) 

Also, I agree with Alcestis that you should read the Handbook, it's a very nice tool. That being said, You don't need to redesign the character, play what you want. You just need to make the mental aknowledgement that it's going to be harder to optimise. Ask your DM about BCL, as that will be the biggest help you're going to be able to give yourself. 

Berserker can be perfectly serviceable, but if you're talking optimization, Fighter is going to win out.

'nuff said.

It's not "ecactly" a houe rule. Technically, clerics are allowed to swap healer's lore for BCL. When you MC cleric, you become a cleric, and gain Healer's Lore. When you get a retrain (the same elvel you get the feat), you can use your retrain to get BCL. Either way, Character builder won't let you do it, but it's pretty legal in terms of RAW (though it smells strongly of dairy, so you need to ask your DM.) 

Also, I agree with Alcestis that you should read the Handbook, it's a very nice tool. That being said, You don't need to redesign the character, play what you want. You just need to make the mental aknowledgement that it's going to be harder to optimise. Ask your DM about BCL, as that will be the biggest help you're going to be able to give yourself. 

While i'm sure this debate as been done to death elsewhere and i'd hate to derail a thread, going nowhere mind you, i would like to voice my disagreement with swapping BCL for Healer's lore being RAW legal from a multiclass. You are not a Cleric or any other class when you MC into said class, you only qualify as for the feats an PP's of that class. Hybriding changes this and maybe paragon MCing but not just taking a MC feat.
Show

Multiclass feats allow you to dabble in the class features and powers of another class. You might be a fighter who dips his toe into wizardry, or a warlock who wants a smattering of rogue abilities. Each class has a class-specific multiclass feat that gives you access to features from that class.

Class-Specific Feats

There are two restrictions on your choice of a class-specific multiclass feat. First, you can’t take a multiclass feat for your own class. Second, once you take a multiclass feat, you can’t take a class-specific feat for a different class. You can dabble in a second class but not a third.

A character who has taken a class-specific multiclass feat counts as a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for taking other feats and qualifying for paragon paths. For example, a character who takes Initiate of the Faith counts as a cleric for the purpose of selecting feats that have cleric as a prerequisite. These feats can qualify you for other feats; for example, a warlock who takes Sneak of Shadows can use the rogue’s Sneak Attack class feature, which means that he meets the prerequisite for the Backstabber feat.

Nowhere in the description of multiclass feats does it allow for the swapping of class features.

Read this:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24861409/Harder_than_a_Rock:_The_Fighters_Handbook

Redesign your character, bearing in mind what your role is. Also bear in mind 4e heavily encourages refluffing.

Repost character and then ask for advice.

+1 to this.

What exactly are you trying too accomplish with this character and what did you want to play if not a defender. The first rule of D&D is ,Play what the hell you want to play. If your not having fun with your character then thats gonna drag the rest of the group down.
Well, if the multiclass on Battle Cleric's Lore passes i can have the same AC as with a heavy shield. If not i am 2 points of AC behind. 

Even if BCL passes, the Avenger will have to too, and you'll still be behind. You also won't get the Reflex boost, or feat boosts to other defenses, if you choose. You also won't get the shield goodies. That's the choice you make. You're sacrificing defense and defending for offense.

If you want a Striker with good defenses, a Barbarian|Cleric hybrid would be one way to go (not sure if the third party member is a leader) or a Slayer, I suppose. I'm not really fond of the Berserker but it's a viable class.
Don't worry about going down the 2hand route. Shield Fighters are more intuitive to build and have, to some extent, obvious options, especially for those affected by the MMO "tank" mentality.
But you can be a PERFECTLY FINE Fighter while using a 2hand weapon. Even when compared to CharOP standards.

Edit: technically the swap is RAW legal. BCL doesn't require being a Cleric, only that you have Healer's Lore. As long as you can grab Healer's Lore, you can swap it for BCL. Which does NOT means you can just MC Cleric. You need to take Divine Healer (15Wis required), because Divine Healer gives you Healer's Lore. If you MC via Initiate of the Faith, you gain nothing.
Don't worry about going down the 2hand route. Shield Fighters are more intuitive to build and have, to some extent, obvious options, especially for those affected by the MMO "tank" mentality.
But you can be a PERFECTLY FINE Fighter while using a 2hand weapon. Even when compared to CharOP standards.

He can be fine, but his main concern as posted was that he felt his defenses were lagging. Sword and board mitigates his main concern.
Lately, I see only one reason to build a two handed weapon talent fighter, it's for polearm builds. Otherwise, if you don't want a shield or off-hand weapon, and/or want to do more damage, may as well just play a Slayer.

So if I was wanting to play a longtooth shifter two handed weapon talent fighter, I'd pick up Greatspear, Deft Hurler (use with Hungry Spear), Hafted Defense, Superior Will. I'd pick up Polearm Momentum around the time I find Rushing Cleats (probably level 8). End of heroic tier, I'd pick up weapon focus. For starting array, I like 16/13/14/8/14/10. The 13's and 14's can move around according to taste, but Int should be the dump stat, Cha helps Intimidate.
Two-handed weapon fighters are much more sticky than shield users come Paragon. Anyone who doesn't look at Pinning Challenge and realizes that it has more lockdown than three shield feats combined is an idjit.