Mono Red - Vampire

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello i just started playing again played about 8 years ago so not 100% sure on what i am doing, but i am looking to get into competative play so if anyone could look at my deck and let me know if this is a competative deck or not would be great.

1 Koth of the Hammer
3 Heirs of Stromkirk
1 Falkenrath Marauders
22 Mountain
1 Harvest Pyre
2 Falkenrath Exterminator
1 Curse of Stalked Prey
1 Curse of Bloodletting
2 Reverberate
2 Mask of Avacyn
1 Wrack with Madness
2 Markov Blademaster
2 Rakish Heir
3 Devil's Play
1 Increasing Vengeance
2 Rush of Blood
2 Swiftfoot Boots
3 Stromkirk Noble
4 Nearheath Stalker
2 Fireball
2 Havengul Vampire

Sorry i don't know how to make the card pop up when you hover over it. if someoen would explain to me how to do that i would be more then happy to change it 

Hello i just started playing again played about 8 years ago so not 100% sure on what i am doing, but i am looking to get into competative play so if anyone could look at my deck and let me know if this is a competative deck or not would be great.

Sorry i don't know how to make the card pop up when you hover over it. if someoen would explain to me how to do that i would be more then happy to change it 

[c]Fireball[/c] = Fireball
Also, for the formatting you had, you can use the deck tags at the beginning and end of the deck, that'll just do the whole deck (what I did in your quote) = [deck] "list of cards here" [/deck]

As for the deck itself, that looks like a mighty fine deck to pay in the just for fun room.  However, I likely wouldn't want to take it to any kind of tournament.

To see some examples of winning tourny decks, you can check the decks of the week archives: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Archive.a...

At the moment, mono-red decks aren't doing well.  It doesn't like like there has been a mono-red deck do well at a tournament for a while.  At the very least, I certainly don't think that deck would do well in a tournament.

If you wanted to try and make a competitive mono-red deck, I'd scrap almost the whole thing and re-do it.  I would concentrate on red's aggressive nature.

Stromkirk Noble is easily the best card in the deck, I'd keep 4 of those.
Then, I'd add 4-8 more 1-drop creatures, things like Reckless Waif or Vexing Devil perhaps. 
That kind of deck should likely top off at about 4 mana, so you could have something like Koth or Hellrider on the top end (maybe Falkenrath Aristocrat if you spashed for black[/c]
Then, I'd fill the deck with lots of burn spells, Pillar of Flame, Galvanic Blast, and Brimstone Volley, even Gutshot might be good enough because of the high amount of Delver of Secrets decks.

The first deck from this Innistrad block constructed tournament is a good place to start: www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlin...

However, this is only innistrad block, your inclusion of Fireball and Swiftfoot boots signals you were wanting to play standard.
This would give you more options for cards to put in the deck, however it might be that the standard decks are just too good at beating mono-red for it to ever win.

Now, this may all change when M13 is released, and it will certainly change when Return to Ravnica is released this fall (rotating out Scars of Mirrodin block and M12).

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Agreed on most of that.  Nobles, vexing devils, Koth are good, though Koth might be more of a sideboard card vs Control. 

If you must have red try mostly burn with a few bigger creatures to turn out after the smoke settles eg. maybe flameblast dragon etc.  Goblins has also been doing ok but will rotate out.  Might be worth waiting before buying singles. 

I know it's virtually changing a lot of your deck, but if you have the cards, I have seen a fair monored deck that had went something like:

good luck with it!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)