Tainted Æther + Overburden Blue Black Control (Challenge)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently learned about Tainted Aether and I instantly fell in love with the card. It just screams shenanigans. I was thinking of pairing it up with Overburden and run some Copy Enchantments. Clutch of the Undercity could tutor Tainted Aether, the real star of the deck. It seems like it would be difficult to deal with and I could stall into a win condition.

I would also run some Counterspells and other counters. There is a counter that I can't recall the name of, I'm sure someone could help me though, it's essentially Negate but it costs bu and deals 2 damage also.

Removal like Innocent BloodInfestGeth's Verdict and Barter In Blood would be important until the enchantments hit the field. As would bounce spells like Vapor Snag. I could also see some shenanigans with cards like Hunted Horror.

I just can't think of a win condition, Consume Spirit won't work because this wouldn't be mono black. There's Exsanguinate but that wouldn't be an option outside of multiplayer, besides I'm sure there is other stuff. Maybe Leechridden Swamp? How would a deck like this win? Is this possible to build on a this on a budget (~$50)? Please help me out guys.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Your victory condition really doesn't matter, because your opponents won't be able to defend themselves without mana.. Also, you won't have to destroy creatures, because you'll run many cards that bounce creatures and force opponents to replay theme again and again, for example Mark Of Eviction.. Cards that force your opponents to pay mana would be very strong here, so you should use Mana Leak to counter things.. You have to run cards that create synergy with Overburden + Tainted Aether, that's why most cards that you suggested don't belong into the deck.. Forget about Countersquall because two points of early damage won't matter here, forget about Copy Enchantment because it requires more targets to work properly.. You should include cards that can find Overburden + Tainted Aether in the first place, not cards that can sometimes copy them and that are sometimes useless..
Your victory condition really doesn't matter, because your opponents won't be able to defend themselves without mana.. Also, you won't have to destroy creatures, because you'll run many cards that bounce creatures and force opponents to replay theme again and again, for example Mark Of Eviction.. Cards that force your opponents to pay mana would be very strong here, so you should use Mana Leak to counter things.. You have to run cards that create synergy with Overburden + Tainted Aether, that's why most cards that you suggested don't belong into the deck.. Forget about Countersquall because two points of early damage won't matter here, forget about Copy Enchantment because it requires more targets to work properly.. You should include cards that can find Overburden + Tainted Aether in the first place, not cards that can sometimes copy them and that are sometimes useless..

That is very helpful advice. I like Mark Of Eviction, so I should run cards like that and Unsummon and stuff? What are some cards that could tutor the essential enchantments that aren't very expensive money wise? Perhaps other transmutate cards like Clutch of the Undercity

I feel that I would want some removal in the beginning of the game before I  pay Overburden or Tainted Aether seems like it would only be delaying the inevitable. I would like a few hard counters because a lot of people in my play circles run cards like Naturalize and DisenchantCome to think of it, Muddle the Mixture would tutor Overburden and later in the game prevent enchantment destruction.

Also you say my win condition "really doesn't matter" but I have to have something. I mean, with a couple Tainted Aether and Overburden on the field, I can't play creatures either. So what would you use as a victory condition?
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
You're still free to play cards that can transform into creatures but don't enter play as creatures, for example Guardian Idol + Gargoyle Castle.. They would also get around Pendrell Mists + Aether Barrier that could be part of the deck and could be searched for with transmute cards.. You'll need a lot more cards that force opponents to replay creatures again and again, they can also "remove" creatures for a few turns and there's not enough room for cards that can destroy creatures anyway.. By the way, if you have few counters, then you won't have one in hand when you need one and you'll have one in hand when you don't need one, so forget about them and simply focus on your strategy.. If you don't listen to my advice, then please run cards that partly support your strategy, for example cards like Barrin's Spite that destroy creatures but also bounce creatures.. Also, search for cards that force opponents to pay mana, because they're pretty effective when opponents have to waste lots of mana to replay creatures again and again.. But right now, you'll have to find cards like Sunken Hope that bounce creatures more than once, because Unsummon + Boomerang are too weak here.. Also, search for cards from the "Prophecy" block that focused on taxation cards like Withdraw + Rhystic Tutor, both of them would be strong here!
You're still free to play cards that can transform into creatures but don't enter play as creatures, for example Guardian Idol + Gargoyle Castle.

Not sure if Gargoyle Castle works, as you're still putting the creature token into play under your control so it would trigger Tainted Aether and Overburden- it doesn't transform. Transforming creatures is still viable, though.
Not sure how much access you have to really old cards (I left MtG several years ago and am slowly picking it back up), but maybe the "Veiled" creatures from Urza's Saga could be useful, like Veil of Birds, Veiled Sentry or Veiled Crocodile.

Also, have you considered  milling of some variety as your win condition? But I suppose you won't need one if you have creatures and your opponent doesn't have any way to get rid of them...
Alright, I guess I understand why continuing to bounce stuff is crucial, I just worry about not having enough time to set up the enchantments. So yeah, I certainly will need bounce, but I will play counters, particuarly to deal with enchantment destruction and planeswalkers which I know I will deal with. However I will run less revmoal than I was intially considering.

The Veiled series from Urza's Saga is a great recommendation.  

I don't want to play many creatures but  Hunted Phantasm seems obvious. 
Just in case you weren't aware, Hunted Phantasm won't work with Overburden to force your opponent to bounce lands back to their hands. It's still good with Tainted Aether, but I don't think I'd go for the Hunted Phantasm option - there's too much anti-synergy with it in this sort of deck. Your best bet is non-creatures that can transform temporarily into creature, or some other completely non-creature based win-condition.

And yes, repeatable creature-bounce is excellent in this sort of deck. Crystal Shard could be good, as it's reasonable to expect that your opponent will be struggling for mana. Mark of Eviction is as good a 1-drop as you'll find for this deck - use four. Rhystic Study could be good too.
Yeah, Rhystic Study would be really cool. So can someone help me build a rough skelton of a deck with some of these cards? Particuarly how many of each card I could have.

4 Overburden (obviously)
Tainted Aether (obviously)
4 Clutch of the Undercity
Muddle the Mixture
Aether Barrier 
2 Rhystic Study
? Innocent Blood
? Mana Leak
? Withdraw
Mark Of Eviction 
Guardian Idol

9 Island
9 Swamp
4 Drowned Catacomb
Creatureless decks have the advantage of not caring about board-wipes. Vile consumption is a great option to tax creatures. phyrexian totem was something I used in my Pox deck, I think it would work great in your deck as well.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Yeah, I should have suggested lands that become creatures because they ~do~ work compared with Gargoyle Castle and they're lands that don't force you to waste precious deck space.. Crystal Shard was the best card idea for this deck, you're missing enough cards that can bounce creatures, probably because you're playing things like Innocent Blood that don't belong into this deck.. You have too many cards that depend on your opponent wasting mana to replay creatures, remember that nothing works here as long as you can't bounce multiple creatures every turn!
So zero removal? Could you post a rough draft of what this deck would look like?
Noetic Scales bounces creatures, but doesn't quite fit the deck if you don't have any discard.  Their hand size is likely to be large due to you bouncing stuff back to it, so it's sort of anti-synergy with this deck unless you added a discard element.

Warped Devotion could be that discard element and would work with all of your other bounce that's going on.   
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Could Dread Statuary be good for this deck?
You have only few cards that can destroy creatures anyway, how do you manage to draw the 4 x Innocent Blood exactly when you need them? It's better for decks to be strong at one thing instead of being mediocre at many things, and bounce spells can remove opposing creatures for a few turns.. But maybe you could run cards like Propaganda that force opponents to deplete their mana or that punish them when they can't? You should probably remove Guardian Idol + Innocent Blood and include Crystal Shard + Barrin's Spite + Propaganda..