Learning girlfriend magic

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello All.

I just started Playing again, and All of the sudden my girlfriend asked mé if i wanted to try and teach her. I was happy that now we might get something fun to dó together. So i smashed up her favorite color (green) with creatures she thought looked cool, and we played a open handed game (she actually won)

Now, the next Day we Walk by a hobby store and she wanted to bud a Deck. They only had 1 green intro pack (green blue) from avacyn restored set, the one with soulbound creatures. 

My question now is: should i teach her the game with this deck or is it too hard to play? Should i sit together with her and rip. The intro pack apart and use whatever cards she likes with some from ny collection? The advantage of letting her play the intro Deck i Think, is that she Will get exposed to a lot of stuff, and get the feeling she Owns a deck.

Anywhoo, really need somé help on How i Can teach it to her and make sure she has fun too.

Thanks 
This forum is for the game Magic: The Gathering, not Girlfriend Magic. I don't know where you go to learn that, in fact, I've never heard of it.
Hello All.

I just started Playing again, and All of the sudden my girlfriend asked mé if i wanted to try and teach her. I was happy that now we might get something fun to dó together. So i smashed up her favorite color (green) with creatures she thought looked cool, and we played a open handed game (she actually won)

Now, the next Day we Walk by a hobby store and she wanted to bud a Deck. They only had 1 green intro pack (green blue) from avacyn restored set, the one with soulbound creatures. 

My question now is: should i teach her the game with this deck or is it too hard to play? Should i sit together with her and rip. The intro pack apart and use whatever cards she likes with some from ny collection? The advantage of letting her play the intro Deck i Think, is that she Will get exposed to a lot of stuff, and get the feeling she Owns a deck.

Anywhoo, really need somé help on How i Can teach it to her and make sure she has fun too.

Thanks 

Well Its Like This Freind Do You Let Your Girl Sleep With The 9mm Or The Sawed Off Shautty...... If I Was You I Create Somthening Compeditive For Her, After All When They Win They Want To Do It Again...So If You Take Her To Friday Night And She Runs In To Delver And Gueist Of Saint Traft And Gets Stomped Hard She Might Not like it Or What Next Grave Crawler Messager Blood Artist... So I guess It Really Depends On how Much You Want To Get Her In I guess You Could Always Do EDH...?
This forum is for the game Magic: The Gathering, not Girlfriend Magic. I don't know where you go to learn that, in fact, I've never heard of it.

And i thought the community was nice. Im simply asking how to introduce a brand new player to the game and genre
Well I made decks specifically for teaching new players so I've been using those. Intro packs are a decent enough starting point, but they're pretty crappy. Event decks are stronger but can be more complex. Duel decks are also pretty good for teaching once they get a better feel for the game since they're tailor made for being played against each other. Deck builders toolkit's would also be a good investment, they come with a lot of cards and can be invaluable for teaching deck building.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I'll try to actually be helpfull Seerex.

I think it helps new players if they have their own Deck, they become more invested in the game so getting your GF an Intro Pack was pretty good.
I would have her play a game or two with that first, there may be some new Keywords she hasn't seen yet but once she's comfortable playing with the Intro Deck you can move on to Deckbuilding.

If the Intro Deck comes with a Booster (the newest ones have two in!), open that together and see if there's anything to change up the Intro Deck. Then you can let her loose on the rest of your collection!!

I might be teaching my fiancee's brother to play this week. I've prepared in advance by buying two M13 Intro Packs. We'll play a few games before opening the Boosters and if he enjoys it and wants to play more, that'd be pretty cool.
I'll try to actually be helpfull Seerex.

I think it helps new players if they have their own Deck, they become more invested in the game so getting your GF an Intro Pack was pretty good.
I would have her play a game or two with that first, there may be some new Keywords she hasn't seen yet but once she's comfortable playing with the Intro Deck you can move on to Deckbuilding.

If the Intro Deck comes with a Booster (the newest ones have two in!), open that together and see if there's anything to change up the Intro Deck. Then you can let her loose on the rest of your collection!!

I might be teaching my fiancee's brother to play this week. I've prepared in advance by buying two M13 Intro Packs. We'll play a few games before opening the Boosters and if he enjoys it and wants to play more, that'd be pretty cool.

Thanks mate, that helped a lot. We are playing tonight so im hoping she will enjoy it. Good thing she got an intro pack by herself

On a side note - what is the M13 actually? I get that innistrad, dark ascension and avacyn restored are 1 set, and i guess when you play tournaments ypu can pnly use the newest set, right? So whats is M13 and how does it all tie together. Pretty new myself

Thanksagain chap 
M13 is a core set.
Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored are three seperate sets that compose a block.

Core sets are simple for beginners. They come out in the Summer.
Blocks are more complex and often intertwined both mechanically and flavorfully. Their sets are released during the other three seasons.

The Standard format, which is what gets played the most at Friday Night Magic events, consists of the block before the last to come out as well as any sets that followed it. Innistrad / Dark Ascension / Avacyn Restored was the last block, the block before that was Scars of Mirrodin / Mirrodin Beseiged / New Phyrexia. Because Scars block was the block before the last you can play everything from Scars block, M12, everything from Innistrad block, and M13 in Standard as long as the card itself is not specifically banned. When Return to Ravnica comes out (the first set of the block after M13) then you will no longer be able to play things from Scars block or M12 in Standard, because Innistrad will be the block before the last.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money of single cards right away you can still enjoy playing competitive Magic and collecting cards by drafting if you want. You can read about booster drafting here. Most card shops hold booster drafts. It is a good way to open packs, but also have a chance to play the game.
Thanks a lot chap. Cant wait to get more involved i got some old cards as well but when just playing casually at home it shouldnt matter. Thanks again
I advice the green intro pack from M13, Wild Rush:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

It's more 'normal' green than Avacyn's Restrored soulbond deck.

As long as you're playing casual, intro decks are good enough. As others have said, once you want to play in tournaments you should look at event decks, but until then, go nuts =p

Also, read this: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...
It has a lot of advice on what to do/say and not to do/say when teaching the game. 

I think it's code speak for sex.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

The Soulbound is one of the more confusing, and a powerful mechanic form the Avacyn Restored set. Understanding how it works and mastering it is a good routine to learn, as it helps lead into learning how the stack works.

The Wolfir Silverheart is one of the more powerful creatures in the game, and came in the pack she picked out. While tweaking the deck to FNM level competition might be a bit of a reach, as a casual deck, it's pretty good, and it's worth building into and around.

As others have said, possession and ownership is important to feel invested in the game. If she has an interest, and wants to play and learn the game, than by all means, talk to the people, find the casual players, and get involved in some games. When she's ready to start doing tournaments, the information will be here for what you should look for, and how you should do it.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I advice the green intro pack from M13, Wild Rush:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

It's more 'normal' green than Avacyn's Restrored soulbond deck.

As long as you're playing casual, intro decks are good enough. As others have said, once you want to play in tournaments you should look at event decks, but until then, go nuts =p

Also, read this: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...
It has a lot of advice on what to do/say and not to do/say when teaching the game. 

I agree that the M13 green Intro Pack "Wild Rush" might be a fun one to play, and it comes with two boosters.

LOL Maybe if he said "teaching girlfriend Magic", that might make more sense.

Intro packs can teach the rules, but the cardlists tend to also teach bad habits. The Avacyn Restored deck has no card draw, despite being in the two best colors for it! There's less removal, but an Arachnus Web or Claustrophobia would be nice. And you usually do something like:

4: Things you want now! I typically include 4 of cheap removal or card advantage, and evasive weenies.
3: Things slightly more expensive.
2: Not used much, but I can split the difference between Go for the Throat and Doom Blade, or two functional reprints in an environment heavy with Eradicate-style effects.
1: Tutor targets. Bombs that are so expensive, you only want one of them. Also, cards that are only conditionally useful.
Sideboard: Cards that hurt deck archetypes that beat your deck.

Intro packs make a lot of one-ofs and a few two-ofs. Tut-tut, bad form.

I think it's code speak for sex.

You can't tap a girl on the first date.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

You can't tap a girl on the first date.

When I want to tap her (which happens often cause I love Serra Angel) I whip out my Icy Manipulator
4: Things you want now! I typically include 4 of cheap removal or card advantage, and evasive weenies.
3: Things slightly more expensive.
2: Not used much, but I can split the difference between Go for the Throat and Doom Blade, or two functional reprints in an environment heavy with Eradicate-style effects.
1: Tutor targets. Bombs that are so expensive, you only want one of them. Also, cards that are only conditionally useful.
Sideboard: Cards that hurt deck archetypes that beat your deck.

Intro packs make a lot of one-ofs and a few two-ofs. Tut-tut, bad form.

I enjoy casual decks with loads of singletons (and little tutoring). I'm sure it also contributes to the popularity of Commander. There's nothing inherently 'bad' about this.
Hello All.

Thanks 

Well Its Like This Freind Do You Let Your Girl Sleep With The 9mm Or The Sawed Off Shautty...... If I Was You I Create Somthening Compeditive For Her, After All When They Win They Want To Do It Again...So If You Take Her To Friday Night And She Runs In To Delver And Gueist Of Saint Traft And Gets Stomped Hard She Might Not like it Or What Next Grave Crawler Messager Blood Artist... So I guess It Really Depends On how Much You Want To Get Her In I guess You Could Always Do EDH...?

Normally I'm not the one to do this, but to my dismay, no one else has yet. Seriously, dude, don't capitalize every word in your sentence, it's actually more annoying than using caps lock. It'll be easier on your fingers and our eyes if you would just capitalize properly. If you never learned how to do that, even writing in all lower-case would be acceptable.
That's the kind of gf Id liked to have people usually think mtg is a kids game and I think that you should brim her to your locol game store on Friday and let her play a few hands with your deck