Does an artificer card count as an artifact?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a discussion I'm having with some friends. They seem to think that artificer is classed as an artifact.
The problem comes up with cards saying something like "destroy target artifact" and whether or not this can destroy an artificer.
Similarly if a card with "Get +1/+1 for each artifact you control" counts artificer.

Could someone please give us a final ruling for this.
Just a discussion I'm having with some friends. They seem to think that artificer is classed as an artifact.
The problem comes up with cards saying something like "destroy target artifact" and whether or not this can destroy an artificer.
Similarly if a card with "Get +1/+1 for each artifact you control" counts artificer.

Could someone please give us a final ruling for this.

If it does not say "Artifact" on the type line, then it is not an artifact.

merely supporting artifacts doesn't make the card itself an artifact, you need to check if it actually says "artifact"
so Riddlesmith is not an artifact, Master Transmuter however is

when in doubt check the Oracle wording for "Artifact" in the typeline

and Walking Atlas is a print error ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
So, a changeling is also not an artifact? As artifact is a card type not a creature type?

Many thanks. Hopefully that will finally settle this discussion.
Correct.  Creatures with changeling are all creature types at all times, and as you said, artifact is a card type and not a creature type.
So, a changeling is also not an artifact? As artifact is a card type not a creature type?

Correct.

The changelings are not artifacts, but they are artificers.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments