Underrated Cards

157 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been thinking on some cards that I always overlook when building, or when picking up new cards, but always think, "I should play that."

Crib Swap is one of those cards.

Anyone else have cards like this.     

3DH4LIF3

Pongify.  I know people play it, but I don't.  And I play a lot of blue.  I just never think to pick it up when I pick up new cards.  Cryptic Annelid is another.  Weird flavor on that card too.  An annelid is type of worm, but the creature type is the all-purpose "beast".  One card I don't see played a lot is Trade Routes, and that card is awesome.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I use Cryptic Annelid in about 65-75% of the decks I make that run Blue. It is a solid gold filter on a body that can chump block or be returned and reused later. Good call on that though; nobody else seems to run it in the large group I play with.

One card I use in every deck I make for Commander, other than Command Tower, is Amulet of Vigor. So many effects cause your stuff to come into play tapped, from those caused by opponents to your own things like guild lands, Titan-fetched lands, and the occasional zombie crew. I don't like that, and put a stop to it whenever I can. The Amulet solves many problems before they become problems. And it can be found cheaply by Tezzeret or with a simple Trinket Mage, among other things. It is not often a target after the first few turns, though early on it might bite the dust when another player plays a CitP effect on a creature and has to nuke an artifact....

So many underrated cards in all the colors, but my vote is surely the Amulet, and it should be in every deck that can possibly spare a spot.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Tawnos's Coffin is busted in this format.

City of Shadows in anything that steals creatures is amazing.

Dance of Many = sweet! general kill. I also copy Primeval Titan's and Consecrated Sphinx's etc.

The Love Boat in mono green is awesome.

Ashes to Ashes is well worth the 5 life at times.           

<----- Loser.

I think Quest for Renewal is underrated in at least Captain Sisay decks, as I never see it mentioned in decklists.  It's particularly nice in other green decks as well, since you can just attack with a bunch of creatures and then untap for blockers during your opponent's turn.
[C]Arcane denial[/c]
I think Quest for Renewal is underrated in at least Captain Sisay decks, as I never see it mentioned in decklists.  It's particularly nice in other green decks as well, since you can just attack with a bunch of creatures and then untap for blockers during your opponent's turn.

My brother uses this in his Rith deck, alongside Beastmaster Ascension and a bunch of tokens and mana dorks.  Once it gets online it can be brutal.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Arcane denial goes into every blue deck I make. Itcertainly is underrated by everyone I meet... until I hard counter for

3DH4LIF3

Arcane denial goes into every blue deck I make. Itcertainly is underrated by everyone I meet... until I hard counter for

You read my mind.  Not only do I have a bunch from when Alliances was new, but it's an easily splashable hard counter with a diplomatic upside.  Like you, it goes into every blue deck I make as well.  Some people scoff at it when I play it, but I love it.  It's nice to find others that appreciate it like I do.

Hmmm...underrated cards.  Crawlspace and Echoing Truth have stopped many a token horde from stomping me out of existence.  Is Balefire Dragon considered a red staple, yet?  He's a superstar.  What else?  Oh yeah, Inheritance!  Another almost-forgotten card from Alliances, I started using it when I was out of ideas and other cards were being used in other decks.  It's proven itself, though.  Peacekeeper is another one I've used to stall while I build my board position.  I'm sure I have others, but I don't see a lot of people playing Diabolic Intent, and my Lord of Tresserhorn deck loves it.

Finally, just about anything with split second. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Finally, just about anything with split second. 

I'm not so sure I'd say those are underrated.  By rookies, maybe...but then again, we were all rookies once, and we didn't see the combos the way we do now.  And even then, the rookies only underrate it until they get the answer to, "...What do you MEAN, 'I can't counter that?!?'"

Mystic Snake is another one I'd put on the table.  I imagine it's 'considered' a staple...but I see it in SO few decks, even those that are counter heavy!  I had to give kudos to one of my opponents in one of my games:
Opponent A:  "I cast Exsanguinate for 34 life, killing everyone."
Opponent B:  "I cast Mystic Snake."
A:  "What does that do?"
B:  "Counters target spell."
A:  "WTF?!?"
Rest of table:  LMAO
Book of Rass can be pretty sweet in the right builds. Soul Conduit anyone?

<----- Loser.

Phyrexian Ingester is one card that came to mind. Exiling creatures in blue is awesome and it makes for a great beatstick as well. Psychic Surgery has become one of my favorite janky secret techs. Give the finger to people who use a bunch of tutors and lets me REALLY be that guy after using Bribery or Acquire because I get to use some of their good stuff AND then exile a card to boot. I feel like Shadowmoor/Lorwyn block as a whole is underrated. The Spirit Avatars are all awesome and playable. Baleful Strix is also a great card in U/B. Cheap, draws cards, and trades with Titans or other big dumb stuff like a champ. People are starting to catch on, but Deadeye Navigator is really good. Pair him up with Solemn Simulacrum to tutor up ALL your basic lands or pair him with Venser, Shaper Savant to counter all the spells.... forever. Mindcrank always puts in work when I can get it to resolve. Even without having combos around it, people take so much damage and mill a bunch so it's worth it for 2 mana. The medallions are great in monocolored decks. Jet, Pearl, Ruby, etc. Miraculous Recovery is so good. Not only do you get a creature back, but you make it bigger too! Stranglehold stops a number of shenanigans, but I don't know if it counts as underrated or not. Coldsteel Heart and Vessel of Endless Rest are decent and underutilized mana artifacts. Angel of Jubilation also stops a number of shenanigans. The triple white cost can be a bit of a turn-off though.
[C]Sylvok Replica[/C] and [C]Moriok Replica[/C] in my [C]Glissa, the Traitor[/C] deck. Especially the Moriok when I happen to have [C]Fangren Marauder[/C], another underrated card out. All commons, and all cards I would never consider running under most circumstances, but they are all-stars whenever Glissa is on the table.
Book of rass is a good one. Decks without blue or black might get some mileage. I play it in my karn deck.

3DH4LIF3

So many underrated cards in all the colors, but my vote is surely the Amulet of Vigor, and it should be in every deck that can possibly spare a spot.

Seconded.  I only run it in my Kresh deck at the moment, but when it's out, it definitely carries its weight.  Added benefit to occassionally pissing someone off who expects to lock the board down with Kismet or Frozen Aether.

People are starting to catch on, but Deadeye Navigator is really good. Pair him up with Solemn Simulacrum to tutor up ALL your basic lands or pair him with Venser, Shaper Savant to counter all the spells.... forever.

I thought of this the minute I saw [C]Deadeye Navigator[/C], pair it up with [C]Great Whale[/C] or [C]Palinchron[/C] for infinite mana, and that's just an example. Abusing ETB effects for just 2 mana is really broken. I got one for less than a dollar... there's a totally underrated card.

People are starting to catch on, but Deadeye Navigator is really good. Pair him up with Solemn Simulacrum to tutor up ALL your basic lands or pair him with Venser, Shaper Savant to counter all the spells.... forever.

I thought of this the minute I saw [C]Deadeye Navigator[/C], pair it up with [C]Great Whale[/C] or [C]Palinchron[/C] for infinite mana, and that's just an example. Abusing ETB effects for just 2 mana is really broken. I got one for less than a dollar... there's a totally underrated card.

Its new. It should catch on in a bit. I know I didn't read it right the first time, I thought it was a tap ability.

3DH4LIF3

Arena of the Ancients, Humility and Hall of Gemstone are the three immediate ones that I can think of off the top of my head that are definitely not played nearly as much as they should be.
Humility is a jerk card >=[ Reallt good in a control/hugs deck.
That's the beauty of it though. Also, another one that I really like alot is Mana Web.It can really help out alot and it's very gratifying when playing against blue. Yes, they can respond to the ability when it triggers by tapping their lands to produce whatever mana they want, but then leaves them tapped down on your turns. It was especially nice in Karn for the time that I played him.
Serra Ascendant, Divinity of Pride

Both getting beefed up as they hit the field.

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

Safe haven is very underated
Serra Ascendant, Divinity of Pride

Both getting beefed up as they hit the field.

Those two are definitely good, but I don't know if they fall into the "underrated" category.  I know I use them and have faced many decks that do as well.  There's always talk of the Ascendant being banned.  I know it's popular to neuter it with house rules that stipulate something like 50 or 60 life.

Safe haven is very underated

Agreed!  Also Synod Sanctum.  I like to use both in my Merieke Ri Berit deck to constantly steal with Merieke.

Lure of Prey not many people use and can be fun in the right deck

with counters can look into Afiya Grove 
War Barge  No.  I'm not kidding.  Pair with Capsize or Venser, the Sojourner and you have a repeatable board wiper. 

I also don't see anyone use Planar Portal which I think is absurdly good in EDH.
Planar portal is almost staple in my decks; usually limited to those that have a lot of manafacts.

Hah, warbarge is funny.

On the topic of crib swap, a friend of mine abuses it with horde of notions

I don't recall seeing this one mentioned in here, but Shapesharer is an underrated card.
Planar portal is a tutor for 12. Not exactly an All Start.

War barge has bulit in rattle-snake. If someone tries to shatter it, just take their stuff with it.  
Black Market. Cause seriously, even if you're not running Shirei you should be killing stuff in black.
Planar portal is great for decks that create loads of mana but don't have access to standard efficient tutors. It sorta depends on the meta speed.

3DH4LIF3

As time goes by, I find myself including more anti-commander auras in my decks. Whenever possible I throw 2-3 [C]Arrest[/C] or [C]Lignify[/C]-like effects. In my experience it's better to have someone else's commander just sitting there doing nothing than destroying it (and see it cast again)
As time goes by, I find myself including more anti-commander auras in my decks. Whenever possible I throw 2-3 [C]Arrest[/C] or [C]Lignify[/C]-like effects. In my experience it's better to have someone else's commander just sitting there doing nothing than destroying it (and see it cast again)

Good call.  I prefer tucking when I'm in the appropriate colors, but I think I may take your advice, at least when I'm running blue.  

sleep is SO good. So is nevermaker.

You know what card I'ver never ever seen in EDH and a card I've never played with or against? defense of the heart. That card seems a bit rediculous 
sleep is SO good. So is nevermaker.

You know what card I'ver never ever seen in EDH and a card I've never played with or against? defense of the heart. That card seems a bit rediculous 

I've played against Defense of the Heart, and yes it is ridiculous, especially after he got it back with Argivian Find and recast it in the same turn.

any eldrazi card, seriously I have no idea why someone wouldn't include atleast 1 eldrazi in their deck, they're beyond broken
Speaking of Eldrazi, is it legal to Spawnsire of Ulamog and then call in an army that violates the singleton rule in commander?  Or even like...the 4x rule in deckbuilding.

If so...I'd add Spawnsire of Ulamog to underrated cards.
As far as I know, it is legal. Same thing happens with [C=Living Wish]wishes[/C] 

Good call.  I prefer tucking when I'm in the appropriate colors, but I think I may take your advice, at least when I'm running blue.  

Funny, I tend to think answers to commanders are OVER-rated. You don't need to completely shut down your opponents gameplans, one by one, in order to win, you just need to make sure your own gameplan is working better or faster. And you definitely shouldn't be going out of your way to run otherwise sub-par answers. In my mind, counterspell is far better than hinder, swords to plowshares is far better than condemn, and spin into myth  (which some people claim is a staple???) is unplayable.

Besides...if you MUST deny someone access to their general, you can do it with good cards, like treachery
I disagree. Being able to hinder some commanders is invaluable.
I disagree. Being able to hinder some commanders is invaluable.

Double disagree.  My friend runs a Scion deck that can often steam roll 3-4 other players by the 7th or 8th turn.  Being able to tuck that bastage is a must if we want the game to last a while.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
On spawnsire... The official rules for commander say that all wish effects either dont work or pull from the optional 10 card sideboard- which does follow the singleton and color identity rules

3DH4LIF3

On tuck... I run hinder and spell crumple after I run out of two mana hard counters. I run condemn in decks when I need to pick up more swords or paths (I like crib swap better than condemn too). And I run spin into myth in my mono blue just cuz.

3DH4LIF3