Parad's Ponderings, Page IX: Speed Spark

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Parad's Ponderings, Page IX:

Speed Spark
Instant
Add to your mana pool. If that mana is spent on a creature spell, it gains haste.
Gork was always the last one through the gates, but today he went blistering to the front of the horde, leaving footprints of fire in his wake. Today, he'd make Ib Halfheart proud.

I've always wanted there to be a card that gave one creature free haste. I think it'd do wonders for EDH, if not other formats. Do you guys think this card would break the game wide open, or is a card a high enough price for one hastey monster?

<< First < Previous | Next > Current >>

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Doesn't work with Kiln Fiend. ;(
Someone on mtgsalvation suggested:

Speed Spark
Instant
Add to your mana pool. If that mana is spent to play a creature spell, that creature has haste.

A cool variation on rituals that I never thought of before! Turn 1 Warren Instigator –> 2 Siege-Gang Commanders ftw.

It's sad to think that to gain is overpowered, but it apparently is. The first design is better balanced according to current R&D.
Rush I a smart guy with a nice beard, so he is probably right 80% of the time.
Rush I a smart guy with a nice beard, so he is probably right 80% of the time.

90% on my whiskerier days.
It's sad to think that to gain is overpowered, but it apparently is. The first design is better balanced according to current R&D.

not that sad, really. think of it like this: the power of all rituals in a format is directly related to the cost of the cheapest ritual in the format, because the power of rituals is getting you things in earlier turns. seething song gets you two extra mana. that's fine on turn 3. but since there's pyretic ritual, you can get that two mana turn 2. and if you have the second Speed Spark, you can get it turn 1. and if you have simian spirit guide you can do it in their upkeep before you've even taken a turn. each step of that not only is strong by itself, it makes the seething song stronger. so if you want to make big, cool rituals, one-mana rituals are a no-no.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sorry to bring back a two-month dead topic, but I've been thinking about this:

Speed Spark
Instant
Add to your mana pool. If that mana is spent to play a creature spell, that creature has haste.

Is that still overpowered? It still accomplishes my dream of attacking with a Phyrexian Soulgorger on Turn 2. Who plays Pyretic Ritual anyway?

That seems fine to me.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.