Zur the enchanter

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi im planning on making  edh deck with zur the enchanter as my commander, but im wondering why i havent been able to find any decks or threads were people are talking about this guy as commander as in my opinion zur is a great commander as you in your first attack easely can pick up a protection enchantment and afterwards can let zur grow with 1 enhantment per turn unless you are using zur ability to pick up great enchantments such as phyrexian areana.

So if anybody have any reason why zur is not as good as i think it is ( i cant really see any thrue weakness, but this could explain why i havent been able to find any deck discussions about this great commander) i would love to hear the reason.

Otherwise i would like to know if anybody have any suggestions for which enchantments and other zur fitting cards i should add to my deck (i have allreade found several but it is always nice to get some inspiration)

Kind regards and let me know your opinion
Hi im planning on making  edh deck with zur the enchanter as my commander, but im wondering why i havent been able to find any decks or threads were people are talking about this guy as commander as in my opinion zur is a great commander as you in your first attack easely can pick up a protection enchantment and afterwards can let zur grow with 1 enhantment per turn unless you are using zur ability to pick up great enchantments such as phyrexian areana.

So if anybody have any reason why zur is not as good as i think it is ( i cant really see any thrue weakness, but this could explain why i havent been able to find any deck discussions about this great commander) i would love to hear the reason.

Otherwise i would like to know if anybody have any suggestions for which enchantments and other zur fitting cards i should add to my deck (i have allreade found several but it is always nice to get some inspiration)

Kind regards and let me know your opinion

Zur is much hated.  He's linear, and with the right build, degenerate.  In my experience, most playgroups just don't like playing against a powerful Zur deck.  If you really wanna play Zur, do a google search for "edh + zur.deck" and you'll get plenty of deck lists.  Just... please don't play Necropotence.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Exactly. he's definitely powerful, and definitely boring.

3DH4LIF3

One of my friends has a [C=Zur the Enchanter]Zur[/C] deck. He's only allowed to play it in tournaments, not in our saturday night casual magic get together. 
Yes, he's that powerful, controlish and boring (for others)
I don't know what's exactly in a "typical" Zur deck, but here are some of the cards I remember from my friend's deck
[C]Necropotence[/C]
[C]Prison Term[/C]
[C]Propaganda[/C]
[C]Solitary Confinement[/C]
[C]Greater Auramancy[/C]
[C]Steel of the Godhead[/C]

Basically, if you don't stop it quickly, [C=Zur the Enchanter]Zur[/C] is unblockable, can't be targeted, you have to pay a ton of mana to attack, all damage you deal is prevented. PLus, Zur's ability doesn't target, so he can even [C=Arrest]mess up[/C] commanders with hexproof (like [C=Uril, the Miststalker]Uril[/C]) 
And you're playing against a freaking ultra-control deck full of removal, counterspells, etc...
If you want a deck based on putting Auras on your commander, Bruna, Light of Alabaster and the aforementioned Uril, the Miststalker are reasonable choices that don't get quite so degenerate.

Otherwise, well, prepare to have every kill spell aimed at you the second you cast your commander.
Zur is awesome... and very degenerative. I would love to have a Zur deck for 1v1 and when I want to be "that guy", but the good ones are rather expensive. In my experience Uril can get you hated too. Bruna is a good choice though if your meta wouldn't be cool or don't want to heavily invest in Zur.

Thanks to all of you I have been looking through some Zur decks (I found some thanks to nextsurething) and i now realize that though zur is not mentioned a lot on this site he seems to be quite powerfull and hated, proably due to the massive amount of counter spells everybody seems to apply for backing up his guy. However im assembling a saturday night deck and we do have some quite restrictive houserules when it comes to countering (no counters with less than 4 converted mana cost) so i do not expect to use zur as a complete game controller (tough to control the game without counters)  but rather as a card to fix me up with cool enchantements and to do something while im waiting for my mana supply to be sufficient so i can start playing some of all my cool spells (tend to be expensive in mana cost).
The  Bruna, Light of Alabaster as suggested by eyeballfrog will likely also be included in my deck.

I have pasted my deck below (at present overloaded with about 10 cards) so If anybody have any suggestion for what to remove/include (and why,please)  you are most welcome to let me know at present i think i proably have too many enchantemnts for zur but im not sure. Please notice that the main purpose of this deck is to have fun and be able to make cool stuff like playing army of the damned or combine glory ,  reya dawnbringer and sheoldred, wispering one in a resurective/protected combo. Zur is basically there to keep me alive until I do the fun stuff. However the term have fun still means that I would like to win 2/3 ;) in my 1/1 games with my buddies.

Creatures

academy rector
 kiku night's flower
 devoted caretaker
 mother of runes
 rayne, academy chancellor
 keiga, the tide star
 sen triplets
 roil elemental
 ethersworn adjudicator
 angel of despair
 visara the dreadful
 glory   will help me protect my biggies
 reya dawnbringer
 sheoldred, whispering one exited to combine this with reya and glory
 artisan of kozilek i think in going to remove this one but at present it is in the list

Bruna, Light of Alabaster I don’t know if this one should be included but it might

sovereigns of lost alara

Enchantments

daybreak coronet
 pentarch ward
 flickering ward
 spirit loop
 necropotence it wasn’t really the plan but since everybody is all that crazy about this one I will try to include it and see if it does the trick when you are not counter based
 phyrexian arena
 oversold cemetery perfect to return with my rather few big creature
 empyreal armor
 stell of the godhead

animate dead  

dance of the dead

reperations

Larger enchantements
 followed footsteps again with the biggies/ my angel this will just be so fun  
 necromancer’s covenant
 future sight
 control magic
 confiscate
 carry away
 nettlevine blight fun card J
 endless ranks of the dead im thinking of includikng this one as it would be so funny with my  necromancer’s covenant or  army of the damned

Artifact
 proteus staff   nice to trade one of my own zombies to one of my biggies / to remove oponents commander
  isochron scepter combined with silence this is funny and can be usefull with several card drawing instants too
 scroll rack I’ve got it
 sol ring
 journeyer’s kite   everybody seems to like this

protective eq’s

lightning greaves can I attach an enchantment to zur if he is wearing these fancy boots?
 swiftfoot boots
 mask of avacyn
 champion’s helm  
 sword of fire and ice I have it

Sorcery
 unburial rites
 army of the damned
 reanimate  
 replenish
 vindicate
 wrath of god
 austere command
 cataclysm good with zur
 hallowed burial
 identity crisis
 demonic tutor
 buried alive find  glory ,   reya dawnbringer,  sheoldred, whispering one  and wait for some resurection
 miraculous recovery perfect with cataclysm / to get both reya dawnbringer,  sheoldred, whispering one into the game at once
 mortify
 unmake
 spin into myth
 swords to plowshares
 vampiric tutor
 brainstorm – goes with isochron scepter or alone
 impulse – goes with isochron scepter or alone
 silence – goes with isochron scepter or alone
 entomb – goes with isochron scepter or alone
 shelter – goes with isochron scepter or alone
 peek – goes with isochron scepter or alone
selected lands

thawing glaciers
 hall of the bandit lord easyier toprotect zur if ha can pick up a protective enchantment as soon as he hits the table
 tolaria west can find  thawing glaciers or  hall of the bandit lord
 reliquary tower

You can still make a pretty brutal and hate-worthy zur deck without counterspells. Consider a scenario where you untap with zur in play and cast armageddon. Or ravages of war. Or cataclysm, catastrophe, sunder, nether void, winter orb, hokori, dust drinker, etc... You have a general who does a lot of work without needing any mana - he can answer all kinds of permanents, get the format's most powerful draw engine, and protect himself - and you can put things like empyrial armor on him to give opponents very little time to recover.
Maybe play some free counters? Force foil pact?

3DH4LIF3

Sorry i dont know what you mean, (im not that experienced in mtg slang )

Sorry i dont know what you mean, (im not that experienced in mtg slang )

Oh...

Force of Will
Foil
Pact of Negation

Counters that you can cast even though you have no mana available.

And yes you can attach stuff to Zur even if he has shroud

3DH4LIF3

A player in our group used to have a Zur deck.  Diplomatic Immunity was always his first search.

Also, everyone hated playing against it, due to it making him near invulnerable.  He had plenty of defensive enchantments he could search out, and an enchantment sweeper isn't common fare in any of our decks.  It always came down to someone who couldn't get through his defenses and him just pecking his opponents to death with Zur.

He also took that deck apart a couple weeks ago.  He said he didn't have any fun with it either.  He always either lost quickly (because everyone hated Zur and ganged up on him) which meant he had to sit out while the rest of us finished an EDH game which usually meant being bored for the next hour or two, or he managed to get his defenses up quickly enough and the game was long and drawn out as everyone else played more or less as if he didn't exist while he pecked away at us.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Sounds like zur isn't really immune to diplomacy.

3DH4LIF3

Har har

And yes you can attach stuff to Zur even if he has shroud

Thanks for the answer just out of quriosity (and to explain it to my oponents to come) why can i attach an enchantment to zur if he cannot be the target of spells and abilitys ( do anchantemnts not counts as a spell?). Just to be sure i assume this thing is valid for dimplomatic immunity too?

one more question if i attack with zur, attach vanishing, can i them make him vanish before combat damage are dealt? or at least before he dies if my opponent have to large creatures in play? or will i have to fetch some unblockable enchantments /protection enchantments to prevent him from being killed?

once again thanks

Auras only target when you cast them.  Zur's ability doesn't cast them; it justs puts them onto the battlefield.  When an Aura is put onto the battlefield, you choose a legal permanent or player it could attach to as it enters, and it enters the battlefield attached to that permanent or player.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Here's a link to my old Zur deck that I ran for quite awhile. It may be able to give you some more insight on where you would like to take your build.
Thanks to all of you guys i hopw i will be able to build a "saturdaynight suitable not anoying the crap out of my opponent yet still winning most of the time" zur deck

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Here's a link to my old Zur deck that I ran for quite awhile. It may be able to give you some more insight on where you would like to take your build.

I have already looking into your deck alot actually and i have noticed that you do not (like most others) include any protection enchantments in your enchantment pile so im wondering why? if you have to attack with zur to get some goddies shouldnt you want some protection for whatever is blocking or do you use vanishing as i descriebe in comment nb 8 ( if this is possible i dont really know) or how do you make sure you can attack with zur without him getting cilled by big creatures or creatures with deathtouch.

Thanks again

Well for protection enchantments I did have Immunity and Vanishing and then Auramancy was additional protection for both of those also so that was never a huge issue for me if you also consider how much counter back up I ran on the side. Eighteen counters is definitely quite a bit and Stroke and Deprive got cut early on once I picked up my Pact and Drain for the deck plus all of the artifact acceleration that was in the deck as well was allowing me to have Zur out as early as turn 2 and consistently on turns three and four no problem.

Of course the deck has long since been retired for me, but I definitely have alot of love for Zur and always have an itch to build him again =P
Pact is terrible.  with all the mana shorts, drain mana, power drain, and mana sink based effects i see rolling around , the moment they find out you run pact they will pop one to make you kill yourself.
Well for protection enchantments I did have Immunity and Vanishing and then Auramancy was additional protection for both of those also so that was never a huge issue for me if you also consider how much counter back up I ran on the side. Eighteen counters is definitely quite a bit and Stroke and Deprive got cut early on once I picked up my Pact and Drain for the deck plus all of the artifact acceleration that was in the deck as well was allowing me to have Zur out as early as turn 2 and consistently on turns three and four no problem.

Of course the deck has long since been retired for me, but I definitely have alot of love for Zur and always have an itch to build him again =P

Thanks but what im thinking of is how you protected him when you attacked? counters are not much worth if your opponent already have a 5/5 beast with death touch? that is where my basic idea of protection enchantments comes in, either that or if possible i would like to use vanishing after my attack so zur is not killed by whatever is blocking, but im not sure i can both attack, attach vanishing, and phaseout zur before he is killed. Do anybody know if that is possible?
[C]solitary confinement[/c] plus necropotence to ensure your hand stays full allows you to ignore a lot of things. Plus, you can always just empyrial armor + steel of the godhead and kill the guy with the beast.
Pact is not terrible. Sure mana short is cute in response to the delayed trigger... but so is playing Nix to stop the pact in the first place. Nothing else you mentioned is capable of preventing a player from paying the delayed cost.

3DH4LIF3

Also zur flies so you dont need to worry about attacking into a death touch beast usually. And if zur is attacking your winning. There are numerous Pacifism cards you can get to prevent blocking... or like tremor said, pump sure and win before the beast kills. Empyrial armor, battle mastery, steel of the godhead...

3DH4LIF3

thanks a lot you guys and sorry to repeat my question butdo you know if I can  attach vanishing to zur with v and make him phase out before damage are dealt?

thanks it have been realy nice to get all of your advices a really good activity to keep me from doing my daily work
Pact is a great counter. With zur he fetches the enchantment you need and not worry about casting. So use pact to counter and be safe to pay the ability next turn is ok.
Yes you can phase sure out in response to stuff or before damage is dealt. Example... you swing, get vanishing. Phase zur out so he doesn't get deathtouched before damage, then cast wrath of God during your second main phase.

3DH4LIF3

Once again thanks and btw thanks for your deck compendium i have been looking into it a lot it is really god a a card inspirator. im looking forward for my zur deck to kick in hopefully it can be combined so it is not that borring but just gives me a nice card/ life gain advantage so i can stay alive to cast my (hopefully ) new favorite spells like identity crisisarmy of the damned zombie infestation and sen triplets and if it is too boring i can always use sen triplets as commander instead buth this card is way more vulnable i think
Sen triplets is a more interesting card on its face than zur. She seems like she would result in varied games, but she is hard to protect and only does stuff if you have celestial dawn or mycosynth lattice out.

Zur is boring because he pushes you towards playing games out in specific ways and has some definite "right" ways to be built. BUT! I think he has the potential for playing more interestingly if you pick the right enchantments. So good luck with that.

I'm glad the decklist compendium was helpful. That was my goal... to help inspire fun in deck building and play.

3DH4LIF3

Combining cards like Propaganda, Norn's Annex and Ghostly Prison with Rune of Protection or Circle of Protection is pretty effective.  The former prevent hordes of creatures from attacking you, while the latter lets you prevent the biggest creatures from hurting you.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
she is hard to protect and only does stuff if you have celestial dawn or mycosynth lattice out.

I don't agree with this. She's 3/5th's of the colors, and at a multiplayer table, there's bound to be plenty of overlap. Guy over there playing momir vig, simic visionary? Cool, you can use his blue spells. Guy over there playing Kaalia? You can use his white and black spells. And you can use everyone's artifacts and eldrazi. And lands! Even if everyone is monored, you can still yoink mountains and gain a colorless land. Not exciting, but that's still card advantage.
True... but when I played her it was too obvious of what players you would gain advantage for having shared colors, which resulted in their hate and specfic crafting of their hands. I mean... its not likely you'll ever get to play the vindicate in the BW players hand. They just target the triplets as soon as they draw it. And everything else is too inconsistent... If the mana production rules ever change she might be better. But the other esper commanders are just better.

3DH4LIF3