[SNEAK PEEK] Feedback — Tournaments (Standings, Draft)

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread for feedback on event features NOT related to actual gameplay, such as the way standings are displayed and what occurs during drafting.

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Use the designated bug thread AND report them so they can be fixed.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Home, Help, Settings and Miscellany (including login and install)
Finding or Starting a Game/Event
Game Play (Duels & Multiplayer)
Tournaments (Standings, Draft)
Collection, Deckbuilding and Viewing Cards
Store
Trading
Chatting, Clans and Buddies
Bugs

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I wish the replay results weren't shown so blatantly.
Preferred not to know who won which game...like V3.

"We wlll kill them all."

In the Game Details (Tournament Lobby), you can sort the player list by Rank, Points, and tiebreakers, but not by Name.  It would be nice if it was sortable by name so that I could quickly find a player in the list.
Also, it would be great if there was a quick way to see how many matches are still left each round to finish.  I also can't find a way to replay games from a tournament that is still being played.  I like being able to do this in V3 so that I can scout other people's decks (especially my upcoming opponent).

I feel that since both versions are running simultaneously, this gives an advantage to players that stick to the V3 client. 
A couple of questions about the tournament interface:

1. Is there no way to see replays of other matches during a draft/sealed event?
2. Is there no way to save your deck in the sealed/draft deck builder?  For sealed events, it is very convenient to be able to store off the card pool and build different configurations. 
The anwser is no to both of your question and I would also like the ability to save draft/sealed decks.
Sometimes I like to load my limited deck in the deck editor so that I can check out sideboarding options during my match. We really need to be able to same limited decks during deck construction.
I have a large number of pauper decks and when trying to select a deck to choose from when being challenged it was impossible to do so because they are ordered in a weird fashion (maybe by date?) so I just couldn't find the deck I was looking for. In V3, you can at least order them alphabetically. 

For people with large collections I would recommend adding a real time text filter (you start to type and as you type it shows the decks with names that match what you're typing). Allowing the use of folders or custom labels (similar to what google does for email) could also help.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
I do meta analysis (of sorts) from the daily Scheduled Events. For almost all of this, I use the Event ID to sort, and get to, specific events.

In the v4 client, Event IDs are not shown in the Lobby, but have to be dug out of the Details screen. This means I have to guess which event is the one I'm looking for based on start time, then check details. It takes me three minutes to find something that used to take me three seconds. 

Please show Event IDs in the Lobby, as well as in Details.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I just did a draft. Here are my comments:

The client crashed when i submitted my sideboard in the finals. I had to restart and used the old client to save time and hassle. For the first two rounds the new client was fine.

I like the build your deck during draft feature.

I like the clock, and the event and game number being displayed, although I'd prefer larger text.

Sorting by mana cost during drafting only worked intermittantly.

Not all players at the table had their Avatars displayed.

Why does deckbuilding come up with the deck cards displayed as small size and my sideboard displayed as large size? 

The Chat text box was large and inconveniently sited. Why does it have two sections?

The Chat and Log button had no apparent function.

Why can I no longer edit my sideboarded deck? If this is planned, I am at a disadvantage vs players on the old client.

I found the OK button in the lower left inconveniently sited since a slip of the wrist brought up Windows 7 menu items.

Why aren't tiebreakers shown as default? There is a large white space available. 

Sorting by mana cost during drafting only worked intermittantly.

If you sort by something else then sort by mana cost it wukk be sorted corectly. If you click sort by an already selected sort method it will not resort the cards that's why you have to choose another first.
Had a very lucky draft right now, getting four mythics, but when I moved Avacyn, Angel of Hope from Sideboard to Main Deck for building the deck, she and a few other cards just DISAPPEARED CryWhat the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

And no, didn't help to reset filters. So I've wasted money on a draft I can't play (time ran out just now) and lose cards. Great, I'm back to v3 as of now.

nvm 
Just finished first two rounds of a sealed queue in the new client.  Overall worked pretty smoothly, but one missing and obviously needed feature is to be able to tell what the prize structure for each event is before joining.  (not that it is available after joining either)  In v3, you can of course click the event name and it launches a web link with the details.  The new client doesnt have that, nor does it appear to show the prize structure anywhere in the event details (unless i am missing something).
Just finished first two rounds of a sealed queue in the new client.  Overall worked pretty smoothly, but one missing and obviously needed feature is to be able to tell what the prize structure for each event is before joining.  (not that it is available after joining either)  In v3, you can of course click the event name and it launches a web link with the details.  The new client doesnt have that, nor does it appear to show the prize structure anywhere in the event details (unless i am missing something).

I couldn't find the prizes info either, maybe the design team forgot to link it. I also think that info could be shown inside the client instead of an external link to the site, would make things simpler.

Draft:

No audible alarm during drafting of cards when time left in a pick reaches 5sec.  This exists in V3.

It would be nice to be able to set an action timer warning in the new client.  Example, client is waiting on you to take an action (something as simple as selecting [OK] at end of opponent's turn), but you've been distracted by the latest Bieber video on YouTube and time is just ticking away.  Fortunately, you've set the action timer warning to audibly beep-beep-beep after 30sec of inactivity drawing you back into the game.

This timer warning would also be great for when your opponent has temporarily disconnected or is otherwise ignoring the current game and you don't want to stare mindlessly at the game screen waiting for him/her to return.

That's my 2 nickels for now.

Criticism:

The pervasive absence of any memory or settable defaults for window size, window partitioning, sort options, initial card sizes, etc. inflicts death by a thousand paper-cuts. The amount of micromanagement of fussy details required in the new client is terribly frustrating and even physically painful after a while. Auto-sizing cards to fit within the visible area as v3 does would mitigate this somewhat.

The maximum available card size appears smaller than in v3 (it's difficult to do A/B comparisons since you can't login to both clients simultaneously). With my setup, I can generally read the full text of all cards in v3. And when I can't, hovering over cards with the card window open suffices. In the new client, I have to individually and tediously zoom every unfamilar card.

Please do throrough testing with a display in portrait mode. Some window partition scrolling issues are especially prevalant and bothersome when your draft or deck building window (or play window, for that matter) is taller than it is wide.

The seemingly arbitrary limitations on the size of the main deck and sideboard partitions during deck building is frustrating (similar problem with the Main and Sideboard deck building partitions in Collection).

It would be nice to be able to have a "freeform" sort option that allowed for arbitrary placement of cards during deck building rather than always forcing cards into stacks. v3 allows this to some degree by permitting multiple stacks in the same column.

I'll second the call for restoration of saving decks during deck building.

The text on the "Add Basic Land" button during deck building is truncated to "Add Basic La".

Praise:

Live counts of cards in each pile when sorted by CMC is great.

Being able to divide drafted cards into creatures and other is great.

Being able to move windows to separate displays is great.

bubba0077's participation and coordination in these threads is great.

The Good

Had some decent drafts with the new client all week.

The Bad

...Until today. New client started crashing repeatedly. Usually just after a new booster opened.

The Weird

After some of these crashes, the new client ended up exhibiting some very odd behavior. I thought I'd share this gem from the end of pack three of a recent AVR draft using the new client:

When deck building, is there any way to see who has submitted their deck? Is there a chat window for the event? That's where this info used to appear.
Did another draft with the new client. Here are some more comments. 

I do think the new client looks better and has the potential to be a significant improvement. Right now, I would not transfer from V3 or recommend it to others.

I echo Seth Milliken's comments about death by a thousand paper cuts. In particular, visibility of card text. My eyesight is not the best (I am legally considered handicapped) and I really need to be able to set the font to a reasonable size. How do I universally alter the text size.

I find I am drafting and playing slowly due to the many clicks required. 

When I am sideboarding, I can right click and sort my main deck, but not my sideboard.
 It is not at all obvious how docking is supposed to work. What is the blue rectangle thing that comes up? If I hadn't read elsewhere in these forums that docking exists then I would certainly not have figured it out. I wish that WOTC would stop this fetish with reinventing the wheel and comply with standard windows functionality. 

When asking if you want to mull, I would find it more intuitive if the Keep Hand button was on the LHS and the Mulligan button on the RHS.

The constant changing of card size and the appearing and disappearing of the red zone is unpleasantly reminiscent of seasickness. Please, how do I turn this off?

Why does the Red Zone appear when the opponent plays his first land and early creatures. If we must have this unwanted functionality, please could we keep it to the attack phase.

Ordering blockers only functioned intermittently.
 How do I see what is happening in the draft when waiting between rounds? (Other match scores etc)
Hi, just one thing for me about tournaments. I kind of dislike the fact that you cant see easily how many people are playing anymore, this is alot more important than a clock that has no real meaning whatsoever.

It should also be possible to create your own 8 man tournament in whatever format you like. You could announce a prize payout for all other tournaments to fix it. For drafts you could just say they have to buy the packs if they are not sold anymore, for constructed i dont even see any reason to not do it. If you think that no tournaments would start at that point i have to disagree, i think it would be no problem then if a tournament doesnt fire fast enough people probably will either start organizing themselfs or just dont do the tournament. It would be even better if it would be possible to do lets say a 16 man tournament with a different price support, this way people who want that could get it. I am not saying dalies should be kicked out, i just think that different formats and maybe a little bit bigger tournament should be able, thisway people would get what they want, which would also increase your money. If you look at pauper e.G. theres no 8 man paupers right now, why is that. This not only hurts the people already playing pauper because they can not realy play it, it also hurts the community as a hole, because its alot harder to play pauper in a tournament then it should be.
Something that could be added to the draft screen when you are waiting for another player to pick a card is a highlight border on the avatars indicating wich player you are waiting for. Sometimes you don't know if the connection failed when it takes a little bit longer until it is your turn to pick.

It would be nice to be able to have a "freeform" sort option that allowed for arbitrary placement of cards during deck building rather than always forcing cards into stacks. v3 allows this to some degree by permitting multiple stacks in the same column.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

You can do this by moving cards into the main deck one by one. When a white background appears behind the card in the deck window, it will stick there and start a pile. You can leave empty space between the piles. I haven't tried starting two piles one above the other, or moving cards after a sort.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I'm not sure whether this goes here, but it seemed like the best fit.

Where can I see my rating in the new client? I've been checking that after every match for a few years now, so I actually closed v4 and opened v3 after my first-round match just for this. If it's not posible ATM, will it be added later, or is it gone by a design decision?

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Here's my feedback on tournament issues:

Pros:
1) Being able to see the other players at the table, what pick they're on, etc. is cool.  Keep this feature.
2) The match begins notification in the bottom of the screen is nice.
3) The round timer that shows how much time has elapsed in the current round is also nice.

Cons:
1) Dropping from a queue is presumably possible, but certainly wasn't obvious.  In the old client, there's a pretty obvious "Drop" button.  I couldn't figure out how to drop in the three or four minutes before my queue fired off.
2) No watching replays.  I don't care too much about the replays, but sometimes it gives me something to do while I'm waiting for the next round to start.  Even if WotC decides on a "no replays during tournaments" policy for gameplay reasons, it would be nice to be able to watch the matches after the tournament is over.  I like to see what the winner's deck looked like.
3) Clicking on a tournament no longer links to prize payout/tourney info.
4) No in-tournament chat room.  Again, sometimes it's something to do when you're between rounds.
5) Can't see which matches are still in progress.  This is a big one, since it lets me know if I can leave the computer for ten minutes or whatever or not.  If eight other matches are still on game 1, then I probably can.  If there's just one more match and it's game 3, then probably not.
5) Can't see which matches are still in progress.  This is a big one, since it lets me know if I can leave the computer for ten minutes or whatever or not.  If eight other matches are still on game 1, then I probably can.  If there's just one more match and it's game 3, then probably not.

You can. It took me a while to realize that the + symbol beside the player name expand if you click it. It shows in wich game they are and also the duration.
1) Dropping from a queue is presumably possible, but certainly wasn't obvious.  In the old client, there's a pretty obvious "Drop" button.  I couldn't figure out how to drop in the three or four minutes before my queue fired off.

Just exit the queue with the little "x" button in the top right.
I would like to be able to watch replays of limited queues again. Also, I liked not knowing who won the game in the old system. 
There seems to be no replays, it doesn't show which games are finished and which are still playing, the game doesn't seem to close after the match is over is seems to just sit there open in the corner of the screen until the round is over, and you cannot see who has/has not submitted a deck during deckbuilding.  All of these are giant steps backwards. 
Did a draft on the beta client yesterday, here's my feedback:

- Building your deck on the fly while is awesome.
- If I have already sorted my deck on converted mana cost, clicking on “sort by converted mana cost” doesn’t work (it doesn’t rearrange my piles in the correct cmc order).
- When the draft is done, all of a sudden the deckbuildinging screen is very small and my sideboard is gigantic. 
- In draft/sealed during deckbuilding I can’t see who submitted their deck already.
- Actually I can’t even see if I submitted already. The only way to tell is the submit button in the right corner of the screen, but if you change a couple of cards after submitting this highlights again (as it should) and you can’t know for sure whether you submitted your deck.
- Where does it save my draft decks? I can’t find them in my windows folders or in the deck editor in the program.
- It might be handy to still have a feature to hide cards. For instance you could hide cards in your sideboard you definitely don't want to play, showing only the relevant sideboard cards. Of couse you should be able to unhide them should you wish to do so.

First - When I join a tournament and am waiting for it to start the window is too big and can't be resized. I usually go read the internet and would like ot make the windwo really small and just see how many people have joined.

Also the tourney disappears from the list so in cases like to day where I was wavering between ISD and AVR I couldn't just glance at them and see status of both if I had joined one. I had to look at two windows.

As to the tournament interface:
1 - can't see who has submitted when deckbuilding. I have no idea if ther are 7 people still deckbuilding or just one. annoying.

2 - You can't check standings during a game? or see what is going on with the other matches? I want to.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
You can't check standings during a game? or see what is going on with the other matches? I want to.

Click Game Details to see standings and how other people are/were playing. To see more details just click the plus sign next to a players name to see how s/he did/is doing (but you have to do this for each player to see how many are still playing which is a little annoying).