[SNEAK PEEK] Feedback — Home, Help, Settings and Miscellany

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread for feedback on the Home tab, in-client help, available settings, the installation and login process, and anything else that doesn't fit in another of the categories.

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Use the designated bug thread AND report them so they can be fixed.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Home, Help, Settings and Miscellany (including login and install)
Finding or Starting a Game/Event
Game Play (Duels & Multiplayer)
Tournaments (Standings, Draft)
Collection, Deckbuilding and Viewing Cards
Store
Trading
Chatting, Clans and Buddies
Bugs

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Why am I not allowed to bind Space and Enter to any action? Especially Space - it would be the best fit for Ok in duels.
Please make it so that Magic Online remembers the position of windows. It's obnoxious how at the beginning of every game I have to maximise the play window that pops up, then bring up the chat window and dock it.
Please make it so that Magic Online remembers the position of windows.

I would like that also.
I'm not sure if this should be in the gameplay  thread intead but here it goes.

Does the Beta client have any sounds?
I changed all my sound settings to 100 but I got no sound at all in two test Momir matches.
I'm surprised by how anoying having a silent computer game is.

I changed all my sound settings to 100 but I got no sound at all in two test Momir matches.

The beta does have sounds, but they are new. I'm hoping that we'll eithre be able to get the old ones back or replace them somehow. The current sounds are terrible and I rely on the old ones to tell me what's going on more than you would think.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Here is fine, it's more of a settings thing.

My sounds seem to be working. Anyone else having this problem?

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

I always turn the sound off. I couldn't use mtgo and be in the same room as my family any other way.
Any installation help available for this sneak peek?  Thanks!

After the 115MB download completes I receive the following:

"Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor. [OK] [Details]"

Selecting [Details] provides the following:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.269
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
dfshim.dll : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : mtgoclientdepot.onlinegaming.wizards.com...
Server : Apache
Application url : mtgoclientdepot.onlinegaming.wizards.com...
Server : Apache

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : MTGO.application, Version=3.4.67.227, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1ad988e60282d0d8, processorArchitecture=msil
Application Identity : MTGO.exe, Version=3.4.67.227, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1ad988e60282d0d8, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of mtgoclientdepot.onlinegaming.wizards.com... resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [16/07/2012 6:21:27 PM] : Activation of mtgoclientdepot.onlinegaming.wizards.com... has started.
* [16/07/2012 6:21:27 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
* [16/07/2012 6:21:27 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
* [16/07/2012 6:21:27 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
* [16/07/2012 6:21:36 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
* [16/07/2012 6:21:36 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
* [16/07/2012 6:23:06 PM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.
* [16/07/2012 6:23:06 PM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [16/07/2012 6:23:06 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
- The application binding data format is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B2)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IEnumSTORE_ASSEMBLY.Next(UInt32 celt, STORE_ASSEMBLY[] rgelt)
at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreAssemblyEnumeration.MoveNext()
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CollectCrossGroupApplications(Uri codebaseUri, DefinitionIdentity deploymentIdentity, Boolean& identityGroupFound, Boolean& locationGroupFound, String& identityGroupProductName)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

Are you using Windows 8? The Windows 8 beta isn't supported yet.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

Are you using Windows 8? The Windows 8 beta isn't supported yet.

No, Windows 7 64-bit.
Works for me on same Windows. Try runing it with Administrator priviliges.
Tried Admin privilege - no go.  UAC on the computer is disabled as well.  I have the current MTGO client running in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode - attempted running Setup.exe in same compatibility mode and received the same failure message and details screen as in original post.  All Windows updates installed.

Windows Firewall is disabled.  No anti-virus on this computer - wife has her own laptop now.  

Not sure what else I can try.  Is there another install method available?

Thanks again. 

Hey. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I didn't find any feedback thread where this fitted in.

What is the reasoning behind removing the player raitings? I think it was a really nice feature. Personally I think it is fun to see how I'm doing, set goals for myself, and compete a little with my friends. I don't see how raitings hurt anyone, as you are the only one who can see your own. I fail to see how this is anything but a step backwards by removing a function that people enjoy, please explane.

I have a problem similar to Blackstone's.

After the 115MB download, I get an error saying:
"The application/program was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click Ok to close the application/program."

I'm also running Windows 7 64-bit. Tried running the setup as admin, without antivirus on etc., nothing works.

By the way, Blackstone, how did you get all that information from the error, mine just says there's an error and then I can do nothing but press "OK"?          
Does anyone know what the miracle bluff box does if you check it?

It is at the bottom left corner in the settings window where you can set up your In-Duel Stops.

"The application/program was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click Ok to close the application/program."

I'm also running Windows 7 64-bit. Tried running the setup as admin, without antivirus on etc., nothing works.

By the way, Blackstone, how did you get all that information from the error, mine just says there's an error and then I can do nothing but press "OK"?          

Hey Symphy.  The information I copied was available via a [Detail] button in the error message.  Guessing there is no [Detail] button in your error...  Still trying to figure it out, too.  Managed to get MTGO sneak peak client installed on wife's Win7 64-bit laptop.  Seems from my brief Google searches the error may be a Visual Basic thing?  

It is at the bottom left corner in the settings window where you can set up your In-Duel Stops.

Setting bluff on will put a stop after your first draw of each turn, as if you had a miracle reveal trigger to play.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

Hi jacobsldr.  Just a guess, but I suspect it generates a pause on your draw step in a game to simulate a possible Miracle card having been drawn.  Without the pause, an opponent could easily guess when you've drawn a miracle card and put it in your hand - due to the pause in the game when you take action to resolve the miracle card.  <2 cents>
Hey bubba007, will my technical difficulty be forwarded beyond this forum or is it likely to die a slow death here if I (along with possible help of the player base) cannot figure it out?  Just curious to process behind the scenes...

Thanks! 
Hey bubba007, will my technical difficulty be forwarded beyond this forum or is it likely to die a slow death here if I (along with possible help of the player base) cannot figure it out?  Just curious to process behind the scenes...

Thanks! 

You should submit it just to be sure. It will probably be seen here, but not in the same context as an actual bug report.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

I have the exact same issue.

Running Windows Vista 64 bit. Tried running as admin, without antivirus on etc as well.
So is this the thread to discuss general aesthetics?

Overall, I very much like the look.  
The installer does not give you any option of where to install the program to, and there is no desktop shortcut made, so I can't look at the file path there. Where exactly does V4 install? I can't find it anywhere, and the only way for me to start it up is to run the setup again. You should really be able to set the installation path on setup, there's no reason for that kind of basic install feature to be missing in this day and age.
It's installed in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Magic Online\ (for Win 7)

For the shortcut go to Start-Programs-Wizards of the Coast-Magic Online
I hope this is the correct place for this, I installed the new client and it was very quick. Its seems to run fine, it is just incredibly slow. I viewed my collection which took 3 minutes to load. I switched the filter to standard and this took about a minute. If I scroll from the top of my collection to the bottom, it takes a minute to refresh the card pictures. I have tried to load a deck but after a few minutes I gave up.

I love the new look etc. Is there a setting I am missing?

PS: I am running a PC with a Q6600 Quad core with 4 GB Ram and a Nvidia 7900GS video card, the old client has no problems on this system.
The installer does not give you any option of where to install the program to, and there is no desktop shortcut made, so I can't look at the file path there. Where exactly does V4 install? I can't find it anywhere, and the only way for me to start it up is to run the setup again. You should really be able to set the installation path on setup, there's no reason for that kind of basic install feature to be missing in this day and age.

The installer should've made a shortcut in your Wizards of the Coast program group in your start menu. It is the "Magic the Gathering Online" not in the "Magic Online III" subfolder. I usually just pin it to my taskbar once it is open so I don't have to go find it there again later.

If anyone is really interested in where the program is actually installed, the new client uses Microsoft's ClickOnce technology, which puts the program data in %AppData%\Local\Apps\2.0\. There are several directories there containing MTGO data.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
The difference from the live version is that card pics are not store localy and have to be downloaded on the fly. When you let your collection load the next time you open should be significantly faster.
It's installed in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Magic Online\ (for Win 7)

For the shortcut go to Start-Programs-Wizards of the Coast-Magic Online

Only the art is installed in %AppData%\Local\Magic Online. The rest is in the directory I give above.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I have reloaded the client a couple of times to see if it caches the images something but it remains so slow. I put 2 GB more ram in for a total of 6GB. I am running Win7 64bit.

After a couple of tries I think that there is something wrong as the client apart from being slow crashes as well. If I try and load a decklist it always crashes. Other times just browsing the collection crashes the client.

I will keep trying to see what the problem is, I am about to re-install.

Hey Symphy.  The information I copied was available via a [Detail] button in the error message.  Guessing there is no [Detail] button in your error...  Still trying to figure it out, too.  Managed to get MTGO sneak peak client installed on wife's Win7 64-bit laptop.  Seems from my brief Google searches the error may be a Visual Basic thing?  

As far as I could find, the 0xc000007b error is related to a problem with a 32/64-bit mismatch of some sort. No idea how to do anything about it though :/ 
I have re-installed and its is still as slow as all hell (a full minute to switch to the collection screen). I have not managed to open the client switch to the collection view and open a deck without it crashing. I thought it may just be slow so I gave it 15 mins and it was still not responding.

Like I said it looks great but I cannot get it running...
Regarding the installation issue, using Process Monitor, I found that this file is missing:

wotc..data_*_0003.0004_none_*.manifest

Should be located at C:\Users\-User-\AppData\Local\Apps.0\YCHZYCEC.JJ8\POHQ6Q5N.86J\manifests\wotc..data_*_0003.0004_none_*.manifest

Edit
: found another one: mtgo_*_0003.0004_none_*.manifest

I don't really know if these mean anything, but their names are related to the game, and as such I'm just posting the information here, in hopes that someone who knows more about such technical things can make something of it.

Edit2: More stuff that might or might not be helpful:
i.imgur.com/HTLPp.png
A Process Monitor(ing) of MTGO.exe when I try to run it after the supposedly finished installation.

Also, as for filing proper bug reports on this, the bug report system doesn't have a way of reporting installation issue bugs.

The new client is incredibly slow and very difficult to navigate.  It looks pretty and has potential, but you may want to have a tutorial to teach people who have been used to the old format how to use the new.  Still haven't been able to play a game nor have I been able to complete the survey online.  This is no where near ready to go live.
hello everyone. I correctly installed the new client on my notebook, but I'm not able to install it on another computer. When I try to launch the setup, it seems as if the download window crashes. After few seconds pops up an internet explorer window (white blank!!!). I have downloaded the setup file with chrome. I hadn't the Beta installed on my computer so don't know what to do about it
I have install problems also, win 7 64bit too. I had no issues with the beta on this.

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (DeploymentUriDifferent)
It says it can't start because it has already started at another location. Running as admin, pc restart doesn't help.

Edit: I solved this by deleting the entire beta directory in C:\Users\usernme\AppData\Local\

Mine was in some "{F6749F98-E7ED-" like folder named 2.0. Now it works
Some thoughts:

1. Why  bother generating new windows if you can't independently minimize them? Minimizing the game client window takes all the chat windows with it.  FAIL.

2. Why does the Sideboard screen take up 80% of the screen space when you're only looking at 15 cards, but the maindeck get a small slither at the bottom, which you have to drag up in order to ACTUALLY perform sideboarding? FAIL.

3. "/command" does not work. FAIL.

This is such a great use of the UI design. I'm glad the MTGO team spent a ton of money and time developing this software to spec. /sarcasm.

I wasn't sure which of the multitude of Beta client threads this belonged in, so I'm lumping them into "Misc" since they relate to the UI. 
Card art and playmats are not locally customizable. Please provide some method of allowing custom playmats, and alternate art.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Here is fine, it's more of a settings thing.

My sounds seem to be working. Anyone else having this problem?

Follow up:
Just to compare I played a game in the old client and I'm specifically missing the following sounds
(wav name from Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Magic online III\Sounds\InGame\2.5)

Where,          wav  file
Begin turn,   "upkeep.wav"
Play land,     "islands.wav", etc
Dec. attack,  "combat.wav"
Main phase, "main.wav, main2.wav"
Tap land,      "tap.wav"
Effects,         "trig_eft.wav"

and probably all the others from the same folder, too lazy to check them all.

I don't know where the Beta client places its sounds so I can't really tell if this is
   - A feature : WOTC decided to remove gameplay sounds Frown
   - A Bug: In my PC for some reason the sounds aren't playing
   - A Known issue : the sounds are missing but will be back "soon" Wink

Some thoughts:

1. Why  bother generating new windows if you can't independently minimize them? Minimizing the game client window takes all the chat windows with it.  FAIL.

2. Why does the Sideboard screen take up 80% of the screen space when you're only looking at 15 cards, but the maindeck get a small slither at the bottom, which you have to drag up in order to ACTUALLY perform sideboarding? FAIL.

3. "/command" does not work. FAIL.

This is such a great use of the UI design. I'm glad the MTGO team spent a ton of money and time developing this software to spec. /sarcasm.

I wasn't sure which of the multitude of Beta client threads this belonged in, so I'm lumping them into "Misc" since they relate to the UI. 

(1) goes in chat, (2) goes in deckbuilding and (3) belongs in miscellany. As for (1), the individual chat windows do minimize by themselves. I don't know why the main window takes everything else with it, as it hasn't always. I too hope it changes back.

Card art and playmats are not locally customizable. Please provide some method of allowing custom playmats, and alternate art.

Did you get my message? I think someone found them.

Follow up:
Just to compare I played a game in the old client and I'm specifically missing the following sounds
(wav name from Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Magic online III\Sounds\InGame.5)

I saw a couple other people also report no sounds yesterday, so it may be a rare but definite bug. If you want to check, the sounds should be in %AppData%\..\Local\Apps\2.0\[alphanumeric]\[alphanumeric]\mtgo.exe_[alphanumeric]\Audio.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Suggest you consider more help for new players with the new client.  The game is quite overwhelming at first and it looks like there is even less support now in some ways.  Could take the form of any of these:

1.  Full tutorial build into the client.  Could teach the basics and lead into a sample game, matched with another new player.  But should also cover other parts of the client beyond 'how to play'.

2.  Pop-up help-tips like many online games have; with option to turn off when desired.  Certain popups would appear when certain actions were taken.

3.  Big 'New Player' button/link on home screen, or on the menu bar; links to either a web-based tutorial/FAQ's, or even the new player community forum which has some pretty good links and guides.  

(For that matter, the client should probably have a link to these community boards in general, to encourage people learning they exist.  I dont know that the existing link to the MTGO group is as useful)

I can't count the times I've heard of new players struggling with planeswalker cards, deck building, what is an event, what are the various formats, how do the classified adds/tix/trading work, or even just 'wow...this is so much - where the hell do i start'.  I'm not actually sure if any useful links come along with the new account signup (there was nothing last time i started a new account), but the new client looks even harder to figure out where to begin than the old, with the 'new player' button gone and the 'just starting out' "room" rather hidden in the play options.

Sign In to post comments