Ice optimization

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone, I just though to make an Ice themed character, not talking just the frost / wintertouched combo but more along the lines of an actual character who focuses on ice.  Such as an Ice wizard / mage for example.  I know there are many powers and such that could fill that description, feats, so I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to make a build focused on it ?

If not, then what feats, race, class, powers would you all recommend ?  I'm dabbling right now with a deva evocation mage.  Would Genasi be the more optimized race for something like this ?  I can't think of any race that has straight support for an Ice build, and no where near the kind that tieflings give to pyromancers for example...

Anyway any help is appreciated. 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Well since you're a wizard, mc with swordmage would get ya Malec-Keth Janissary. You get 1d4 elemental damage of your choice on all your attacks. Best way to get cold powers without having to get a frost implement. Since you're a wizard you can still get enlarge spell feat to boost your bursts and blasts. Even arcane admixture a favorite spell with thunder for a bigger bang with resounding thunder. Have you looked at Arcane Fire feat? It grant 5 vuln cold if you hit the target with an arcane fire spell. Well pick plenty of fire spells, use Malec-Keth for cold and enjoy arcane fire.
Classes ice themed
Wizard
Water Sha'ir
Frozen land Barbarian
Water Elementalist
Fey Pact Hexblade I think would theme the best

Races ice themed
Shade (??)
Genasi
Goliath
Cold Breath Dragonborn I think would work best

Sounds fun! Let us know where you go with this. 
My character for LA3 fit this. It was a Cleric|Warden with form of winter's herald and solkara's grasp from the primordial adept theme.

The U6 from that theme is perfect for what you're trying to do... 3 giant icicles spring out of the ground. 
the thing is, I'd rather not take fire powers in order to get the cold aspect i'm looking for.  the 1d4 elemental could be interesting.  I'll think about that.

@da_duke

So far I think a wizard is what caught my eye the most, though I'm looking into the fey pact hexblade.

For races, the dragon born might have cold minor, enabling a nova, it does not however have INT so my main stat would get no support from the race.  I'll have to look into it though because the gains could outweigh that loss.

Thanks a lot for your posts ! 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

Eladrin Winterkin Heritage Swordmage|X  (Fey or Elemental Pact works well, as does Artificer, Wizard, or Shaman)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Dragonborn dragonsoul sorc. MC or hybrid martial, Honorable Blade PP, use a superior dagger impliment/weapon, or AIP up heavy/light blades. You get to add frost to any damage type and keywords you get, whilst still preserving those effects. It lets you loot EVERYTHING good from sorc (flame-spiral anyone?), keep the keywords, and add cold to it as well. Basically you can benefit from two kinds of optimization at once (say, fire and frost). Reflavor to taste.
you can build a pretty straightforward ice sorcerer with decent powers and the really good blizzard mage PP, i'd go with dragonborn dragon mage with frost breath, you can even get rod as implements and use the rod that makes all your damage the type of your breath
anyone have a suggestion on how to reliably give cold vulnerability in heroic ?  I know that Arcane Fire has been suggested as a means to do this but is there anything else ?

Also feats that I've found to be of interest:

Wintertouched, lasting Frost, arcane fire, burning blizzard (to be replaced by Icy heart in paragon since i don't think they stack), enlarge spell, destructive wizardry, dual implement spellcaster.

If I decide that this is more of a fun build I could add a number of feats that are more RP and utility related like Frozen Soul for example.

A note should be said that if I do decide to go with a fire/cold build a tiefling is probably a good idea right ?  The feat support I would imagine to be quite powerful.  Though Genasi is always an option among others.

As for class there's a surprising amount of synergy nowadays with this concept.  I'm currently building various versions and builds to see what interests me the most.

Keep it coming guys and gals and thanks again ! 

Uh Lasting frost is one target per turn now. Not bad but sorta last feat to take.
Uh Lasting frost is one target per turn now. Not bad but sorta last feat to take.

How about this, maybe?
It's a PC I played for a long, long time. It's a Defender that has a TON of Control, and very decent damage (2d4+39). It's a mix of Defender/Controller/Striker. It works well as such, but it's not a true defender, frankly. That said, it's VERY fun to play in a game where you don't have to make OVER 9000! level PCs.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Cantrip, level 18
Shadar-kai, Swordmage, Sword of Assault
Build: Assault Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis Option: Aegis of Assault
Spellscarred
The Five Wraiths (Acrobatics class skill)
Theme: Ironwrought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 20, DEX 13, INT 24, WIS 9, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 15, DEX 10, INT 17, WIS 8, CHA 13

AC: 33 Fort: 30 Ref: 33 Will: 28
HP: 137 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 34

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Arcana +21, Athletics +15, Endurance +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +16, Insight +8, Intimidate +13, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +16, Stealth +12, Streetwise +11, Thievery +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ironwrought Attack: Inevitable Strike
Shadar-kai Racial Power: Shadow Jaunt
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Assault
Swordmage Attack 1: Frost Backlash
Swordmage Attack 1: Frostwind Blade
Swordmage Attack 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage Utility 2: Mythal Recovery
Swordmage Utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Swordmage Attack 7: Echoes of Sword Magic
Swordmage Attack 9: Lightning Strider
Endurance Utility 10: Enter the Crucible
Sword of Assault Attack 11: Spell Strike
Sword of Assault Utility 12: Aegis Reserve
Swordmage Attack 13: Seed of Fire
Swordmage Attack 15: Reaper's Challenge
Swordmage Utility 16: Borrowed Confidence
Swordmage Attack 17: Ice Cage

FEATS
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: White Lotus Riposte
Level 10: Dread of Sakkors
Level 11: Shadowed Aegis
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Deadly Immobilization
Level 12: Spiked Chain Training
Level 14: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 16: Double Aegis
Level 18: Icy Heart

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Rushing Cleats x1
Cloak of Translocation +3 x1
Gloves of Ice (paragon tier) x1
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier)
Baldric of Assault x1
Frost Spiked chain +4
Circlet of Arkhosia (paragon tier) x1
Feytouched Snakeskin Armor +4 x1
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Salve of Power
Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade
Ruby Scabbard
Shadowfell Blade Spiked chain +4 x1
====== End ======
Glacius
Glacius, level 8
Warforged, Warden
Build: Earth Warden
Guardian Might Option: Earthstrength
Experimental Prototype (+2 to Endurance)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 20, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 26 Fort: 22 Ref: 18 Will: 19
HP: 86 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +15, Nature +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +5, Perception +7, Religion +4, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1

POWERS
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Warden Attack 1: Weight of Earth
Warden Attack 1: Roots of Stone
Warden Attack 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Warden Attack 1: Form of Mountain's Thunder
Warden Utility 2: Erupting Font
Warden Attack 3: Earthgrasp Strike
Warden Utility 6: Treacherous Ice
Warden Attack 7: Mountain Hammer

FEATS
Level 1: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 2: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 4: Vicious Advantage
Level 6: Crippling Crush
Level 8: Sudden Roots

ITEMS
Frost Warhammer +2 x1
Wintersnap Hide Armor +2 x1
Amulet of Physical Resolve +2 x1
Vanguard's Shield Heavy Shield x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Parry Gauntlets x1
====== End ======

The build takes the core idea of Form of Winter's Herald, and builds an entire concept around it.  Follow up with the Icewrought Sentinel paragon path.  Refluff all the powers to cold-themed stuff, after all they're doing cold damage due to the weapon.

Mechanically, the build is all about building difficult terrain around you, so things can't shift, and then keeping them slowed/prone, so they can't get away.  It's a zone-defense style play that can be quite fun.  As a side benefit, you also basiclaly never die.

Dwarf is pretty much superior in all regards for earthstrength wardens, but I was trying to build on the theme for the Warforged, and play it as an experimental Iceforged, using elemental power sources instead of a traditional Warforged.

Fun build, good mechanics, interesting fluff.  I like it a lot, and it's one of my favorite builds-on-a-theme.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Another option, this is an Artificer that applies Vuln. 5 Cold on his attacks, and then makes his allies do Cold Damage (on top of the usual Artificer stuff):

[spoiler]
Nordom, level 17
Warforged, Artificer, Spell Commander
Spellscarred
Experimental Prototype (Endurance class skill)
Theme: Primordial Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 22, DEX 11, INT 22, WIS 14, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 30 Fort: 30 Ref: 30 Will: 28
HP: 114 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +19, Endurance +21, History +19, Nature +15, Perception +15, Thievery +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Athletics +9, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, Insight +10, Intimidate +9, Religion +14, Stealth +8, Streetwise +7

POWERS
Primordial Adept Attack: Solkara's Wave
Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve
Artificer Feature: Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture
Artificer Feature: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Prey
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Artificer Attack 1: Magic Weapon
Artificer Attack 1: Thundering Armor
Artificer Attack 1: Punishing Eye
Artificer Utility 2: Swift Mender
Artificer Attack 3: Shocking Feedback
Nature Utility 6: Natural Terrain Understanding
Artificer Attack 7: Icy Weapons
Artificer Attack 9: Healer's Momentum
Artificer Utility 10: Slick Concoction
Spell Commander Attack 11: Spell Tracer
Spell Commander Utility 12: Alter Spell Power
Artificer Attack 15: Animate Arbalester
Artificer Utility 16: Sigil of Admixture
Artificer Attack 17: Addling Pattern

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)
Level 2: Crossbow Caster => Improved Defenses
Level 4: Eldritch Fusillade Expertise
Level 6: Spirit Talker
Level 8: Spirit of Hestavar
Level 10: Arcane Familiar
Level 11: Enhanced Resistive Formula
Level 12: Steady Shooter
Level 14: Icy Heart
Level 16: Lasting Frost

ITEMS
Frost Superior crossbow +4 x1
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier)
Gloves of Ice (paragon tier) x1
Bracers of Archery (paragon tier) x1
Elemental Ward Cloak +3 x1
Helm of Able Defense x1
Shared Valor Inix Leather Armor +3 x1
Belt of Sacrifice (paragon tier) x1
Boots of Levitation x1
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Delver's Light
====== End ======[spoiler]
wow thanks a lot for the builds !  I'm going to have to look them over and compare what appeals to me the most but I really appreciate it. ^_^  Some pretty powerful examples of what's possible.

Most wizard cold attacks are vs. Fortitude.  If you opted to play wizard you should definitely consider the 'Bitter Frost' feat for improved accuracy.  Stone Blood, Thunderwave or Beast Switch are great vs. Fort At-Will's that can be cold admixtured as well.  (Beast Switch also increases in utility in conjunction with War Wizard of Cormyr PP to become an MBA...).
CantripN: Sigil of Admixture isn't a legal power, it was completely removed from the article 1 day after it was published, but the people who handle the compendium and builder used the original article (which is why the d5 Smokepowder Detonation, e17 Siphon Fate, and Hammer of Gond feat are also incorrect)

If you want to get it started in Heroic, I've found the following options will make a good character regardless of how they're combined and allow for Cold Vuln to be a regular thing.

Themes:
Sarifal Feywarden's Feature gives you 2 rounds of a scaling Vuln Aura 2, it only works for your attack though. +1 Fort and the fact you can get Blur as your u10 make this one of the strongest 'non-attack' themes.
Primordial Adepts Attack Feature is a decent Blast that adds Push+Slow as well as Vuln Cold, it's an implement attack but you get Rod Prof anyway (and there are Rods that count as Maces). The Optional u2 is a sustainable aura 2 that causes Slowed, Vuln Cold, and -2 to hit on any enemy starting in it.

So for Classes:
Artificer: e1 Ice Shard Traps is an obvious setup power, since you can hit the same creature twice or 2 different ones (Forced Movement required). Ice Archon's Armor also creates vuln, but it's a d15. Icebound Sigil, Icy Weapons, and Punishing Eye (if you have a Frost Weapon) enable your allies to deal Cold damage, and Ethereal Chill and Halo of Thorns (again, Frost Weapon) can add on to a Defender's Catch-22
Shaman: e3 Rimefire Spirit applies vuln to multiple targets. Twin Panthers is a double-attack to potentially use for your own Vuln nova. Enabling and movement powers combine well with the Artificers ally buffs. Biggest downside is that you're basically better off using Magic Weapon or Spirit Infusion than trying to cause Vulnerability, barring Daily use.
Swordmage: d5 Energy Theft or Elemental Foible put vuln on a single target, not amazingly useful, but Swordmages have a decent number of static damage instances that can rack up any Vuln bonus, as well as a double attack from e1 Lightning Clash.
Warden: Warden have several multi-attacks and plenty of arbitrary damage effects as well.

Sorcerer is the odd one out since it's not going to hybrid with any of the above particularly well (maybe swordmage or warden because of the innate MBA), but they have a u2 sustainable daily wall that causes vuln on anyone passing through it, and plenty of forced movement powers to cause that to happen.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
thank you very much for all that information Zathris, I really appreciate it.  

I'm looking at a warden with primordial adept..  some kind of hybrid, it's going to take some tinkering.  Anyway I have a lot of stuff to go over, I know that the builds posted have some solid stuff.

what do you guys think of a little bit of shift in options.  I've noticed that the Rimetongue Caller PP gives all your conjurations and summons a cold damage aura.  And supports conjurations and summons.

The theme Primordial Adept gives an encounter cold power at level 1 that does some cold damage, push, slow AND vulnerable 5 cold.  During leveling it gives an ok daily utility at level 2 for a personal aura for more cold vulnerability.  Problem with that aura though is that it affects all creatures in it, it does however have a sustain minor.  Then at level 10 gives a power bonus to cold damage.  You also get primordial as a language which is a requirement of Rimetongue caller.

I got a crazy idea from that about a cold damage based wall of fur build.  All creatures having a cold damage aura, cold vulnerability, and cold based powers.  I'm not sure how to put it all together into a coherent build.  The feats that I listed earlier would probably still work in a solid way, maybe a hybrid wizard build ?  You would need wizard in some form for Rimetongue Caller anyway...

Suggestions welcome even if it's to tell me it's too crazy haha

Hybrid Druid/Wizard, maybe? Or Druid MC Wizard? Or just Wizard?
I have considered those, I also considered shaman for the spirit but it doesn't count as a summon or conjuration does it ?

As for druid I'm looking at it right now.  Int / Wis build is pretty sweet, I could go Deva for the stat support and racial initiative feat..  Unless Hamadryad ?  Not sure there yet.  Druid does offer some interesting stuff though.  If I do go hybrid Wizard|Druid would tome of binding then be good to grab with the hybrid talent feat ? The follow up improved tome of binding and all the support for summons and conjurations would then be open.  Power support for cold powers and summons / conjurations is available on both sides as well.

Tinkering in the builder. 

I have considered those, I also considered shaman for the spirit but it doesn't count as a summon or conjuration does it ?

As for druid I'm looking at it right now.  Int / Wis build is pretty sweet, I could go Deva for the stat support and racial initiative feat..  Unless Hamadryad ?  Not sure there yet.  Druid does offer some interesting stuff though.  If I do go hybrid Wizard|Druid would tome of binding then be good to grab with the hybrid talent feat ? The follow up improved tome of binding and all the support for summons and conjurations would then be open.  Power support for cold powers and summons / conjurations is available on both sides as well.

Tinkering in the builder. 

Shaman spirits are conjurations.  Read the shaman spirit FAQ in the Rules Q&A.
hm i guess the keyword just wasn't there where I looked.  tome expertise would give CA around my conjurations / summons, so that would give the spirit a CA aura 1 of sorts then. 

Sign In to post comments