gatecrash: set 2 in return to ravnica block

205 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.channelfireball.com/news/winter-set-...

"The set to follow Return to Ravnica will be Gatecrash, as announced at the Magic Panel at San Diego Comic Conby Mark Rosewater.

Unlike Ravnica block, Gatecrash will also be a large set — both sets will contain 5 of the original 10 guilds. Return to Ravnica will include: Azorius, Rakdos, Selesnya, Golgari, and Izzet. While Gatecrash will contain: Simic, Dimir, Boros, Orzhov, and Gruul.

Both Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash will be drafted separately as standalone sets — until the release of the third set, “Sinker” (which contains all 10 guilds), when all 3 will be drafted together akin to a standard-sized block.

Also of note: At the prerelease for both sets, each player will choose a guild. One of the six packs in the sealed pool will be a special “guild booster”, and contain a guild-specific prerelease promo card — which, for the first time, you can now play with in the prerelease itself!"

I hope the new Jace is good I'm so sick of Memory Adept.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I hope the new Jace is good I'm so sick of Memory Adept.

Memory Adept is probably the most underrated walker right now.

But please, no more Jaces.  We want Niv-Mizzet Walker! 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
That last paragraph, it sounds really, really epic. I'm so hyped for RtR and now.... uhhh, GC for Gatecrash? I am wanting aggro for this block, so I will have to see which "guild" I'll pick
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
This all sounds very cool and I am legitimately excited. The idea of separately developing two limited formats and then smooshing them together sounds really fun.
This is really cool. They still find ways to make me excited!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
But please, no more Jaces.  We want Niv-Mizzet Walker! 

MaRo confirmed Jace is in Return to Ravnica, and that Niv-Mizzet is a Legendary creature (also in RtR).

Sorry.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Words can't describe how ready I am for this set.

Edit: First post
Confirmed: The guilds are back with a vengeance.

Gatecrash is a weird name for a set.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
so the third set is small or also big?
proud member of the 2011 community team
So...5 corresponding shock-lands in the 2 sets? Tongue Out

(would be cool if the guild-specific promo was the land, but I doubt it... just wishful thinking)
So...5 corresponding shock-lands in the 2 sets? Tongue Out

seems quite likely now that it is confirmed that the guilds still exist

Also, when the guy asked about reprints of modern staples, the responder mentioned something about hints that some were going to be reprinted soon.  All evidence points to shocklands.
Jace is boring, can lili or bolas kill him already? Then just have someone give teferi a spark again.
It makes sense because you can't fairly divide three packs evenly among RTR and gatecrash (best set name EVER btw) so some guilds would be over-represented if you tried to draft the first two sets together without 'Sinker'. It has the nice side bonus of meaning that there will be roughly the same amount of cards from each set available on the secondary market which should help stabilize the price ...of shocklands (especially the Simic one - you wouldn't want that to be in the last set both times!) Now I just have to decide whether I want to go to the prerelease as a tree hugging hippie or as a sadomasochist... or maybe even a mad scientist (my impulse for learning is a bit too much impulse and not enough learning!)
Jace is boring, can lili or bolas kill him already? Then just have someone give teferi a spark again.

I second that. Let's lure Jace to Dominaria so Teferi can steal his spark.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

I second that. Let's lure Jace to Dominaria so Teferi can steal his spark.

There's some strong evidence that jace will be U/R in this set so perhaps he'll be more interesting
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
so the third set is small or also big?

Sinker will be a small set. However, it will feature cards from all ten guilds.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Red jace is even worse because it breaks his character imo.
I am going to be so dissapointed if this set isn't Ogre Gatecrasher themed.
Not sure how I feel about this setup, but at least it makes more sense than Large-Small-Large.
Red jace is even worse because it breaks his character imo.

Is it inherently more odd than Ajani or Gideon? Granted I don't know the storyline reasons behind the shift yet, but surely there are some scenarios where this isn't out of the realm of verisimilitude.
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Niv-Mizzet wanted a new pet and choose Jace
good enough reason?
Niv-Mizzet wanted a new pet and choose Jace
good enough reason?

Not really, niv mizzet should just eat jace.

Ajani is very emotional, and red ajani was before pure white ajani so it makes sense.

I know nothing about gideon but I don't really like him. He seems emotional as well, so red.

Red is not just the color of rage and fire, it's the color of all emotions.
It's worth noting that we don't know for sure that Jace is going to be dual colour, I honestly doubt it'll happen given that Jace is considered to be the most iconic of the planswalkers and is so Blue it's painful. Yes he's hanging out with Niv-Mizzet but I'm not sure that's enough to make him turn Red. I've been wrong in the past though...
Again, I'm not a storyline guru but I imagine Jace is fairly respected among Izzet, even if just because he's better than Tez as far as Izzet and maybe Rav is concerned.

Plus, red is also a color of more than raw emotion. It could very easily symbolize Jace approaching issues on Rav or Zen in a more creative manner, or relying more on his gut, which would make some sense given the guilt about some past behaviors he's carrying around.

Or he could just be mono U, but I don't think they'd print Jace again without a some sort of shift.  
Show
I ship Niv-Mizzet/Jace.  OTP SO KAWAII

This is pretty cool.  I'm pretty sure Ravnica is getting invaded.  Possibly by the Eldrazi.  My guess:

Return to Ravnica: Hey guys this is the aftermath of the first Ravnica block.  Ravnica is pretty chill but has its internal conflicts.
Gatecrash: OH CUSS ELDRAZI
Third set: Resolution
I ship Niv-Mizzet/Jace.  OTP SO KAWAII

This is pretty cool.  I'm pretty sure Ravnica is getting invaded.  Possibly by the Eldrazi.  My guess:

Return to Ravnica: Hey guys this is the aftermath of the first Ravnica block.  Ravnica is pretty chill but has its internal conflicts.
Gatecrash: OH CUSS ELDRAZI
Third set: Resolution

That's when we learn that nephilim were actually eldrazi spawn that gained colored mana over 1000s of years on ravnica. Because retcons.
Jace nor Gideon have any reason to shift colors

Jace is not red. He is not impulsive, emotional (well a little cowardly, but thats not a makjor part of his character), brash, or hating of intelect. He is a mind mage. If he were to go to another color it wouldn't be red.

Gideon was on a crusade against chaos. unless he's doing a complete personality 180 for Chandra (which considering he gave that chase up to stop the Eldrazi seems unlikely) he is also no going to be red.

Giideon is militaristic, so he may disagree with the red side of boros he understands how they work.  Jace probably respects the Izzet minds.

To be fair I could be wrong because I have been in the past, and i wouldn't have placed them with those guilds.

However unless it has officially been stated that we are getting 10 walkers this block I'm not believing a walker for each guild. That
s just way too many walkers when we already have 10 in standard up this set's release. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
However unless it has officially been stated that we are getting 10 walkers this block I'm not believing a walker for each guild. Thats just way too many walkers when we already have 10 in standard up this set's release. 

It's been confirmed that there are 2 walkers in RTR (Jace is one of them) and 2 walkers in Gatecrash (Gideon is one of them), there'll probably be 1 in 'Sinker' too since they like to have 1 in each set.

On the basis of 5 walkers the colours could really go any which way, if they're wanting to introduce Kiora as a card then 5 enemy coloured walkers isn't outside the realm of possibility but I deem it unlikely, monocoloured Walkers seem more likely so they act as a counterpoint to the dual colour mythic Legendary.

But again, I'm guessing blind here. 
Jace nor Gideon have any reason to shift colors

Jace is not red. He is not impulsive, emotional (well a little cowardly, but thats not a makjor part of his character), brash, or hating of intelect. He is a mind mage. If he were to go to another color it wouldn't be red.

Gideon was on a crusade against chaos. unless he's doing a complete personality 180 for Chandra (which considering he gave that chase up to stop the Eldrazi seems unlikely) he is also no going to be red.

Giideon is militaristic, so he may disagree with the red side of boros he understands how they work.  Jace probably respects the Izzet minds.

To be fair I could be wrong because I have been in the past, and i wouldn't have placed them with those guilds.

However unless it has officially been stated that we are getting 10 walkers this block I'm not believing a walker for each guild. That
s just way too many walkers when we already have 10 in standard up this set's release. 

I agree with this, but it was more or less the same argument for aorin not being white and not being vampire tribal. Look how that turned out.

However unless it has officially been stated that we are getting 10 walkers this block I'm not believing a walker for each guild. Thats just way too many walkers when we already have 10 in standard up this set's release. 

It's been confirmed that there are 2 walkers in RTR (Jace is one of them) and 2 walkers in Gatecrash (Gideon is one of them), there'll probably be 1 in 'Sinker' too since they like to have 1 in each set.

On the basis of 5 walkers the colours could really go any which way, if they're wanting to introduce Kiora as a card then 5 enemy coloured walkers isn't outside the realm of possibility but I deem it unlikely, monocoloured Walkers seem more likely so they act as a counterpoint to the dual colour mythic Legendary.

But again, I'm guessing blind here. 

Don't forget about that thief guy, Dack Faden? He might be there.

If anything, I'd say that Jace would become Blue/White. There's a scene in Agents of Artifice where he uses White magic to heal himself, and if I recall correctly, he likes the feeling of wielding White magic. Plus, since he's apparently running an organization now, the White side makes far more sense than him going Red would.

As for Gideon... yeah. Red is kind of entirely contrary to everything he stands for. Of course, at the end of Chandra's novel, I believe he was starting to rethink his philosophy. He saw that a Red philosophy could accomplish great, heroic things. So maybe he's much less opposed to it now than he was before. Nonetheless, it does feel weird that, of all the possible secondary colors, he'd choose the one most opposed to his views.

Nonetheless, I don't foresee them doing all monocolored Planeswalkers; at least some of them will be two-colored. And since the panel outright said Gideon is going to be affiliated with the Boros, he's likely going to be Red/White. I'm a bit disappointed, though, since that's a color pair for which we already have a planeswalker.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

I agree with this, but it was more or less the same argument for aorin not being white and not being vampire tribal. Look how that turned out.

Don't forget about that thief guy, Dack Faden? He might be there.

Well Sorin wasn't very vampire tribal. He made vampires. Koth of the hammer isn't elemental tribabl because he makes an elemental (out of a land). However the white was said to be to show his sense of duty to Innistrad, i.e. only when white when dealing with his world. It's kind of weak but it's there. And they needed to not do another mono black walker that block.

Dack Faden  has been confirmed to be left out of the game so that IDW can have more creative control and make better stories without having to have the Magic people constantly checkign continuity and such. Sifa Grint will likely go the same way.

@Chronego: Jace has used black mana as well IIRC. I actuall ythink UB is more likely for him if he were to ever go multicolor, as he tends to be secrative and manipulative.

@Gideon: Just being with the boros doesn't make him automatically red. He has a militaristic background, they are probably just the organization he understands best. He can still be monowhite. 
You are Red/Blue!
There's some strong evidence that jace will be U/R in this set so perhaps he'll be more interesting

Really?  What evidence is that?  A promo pic of him and Niv? If that's all you got, you're leaping to conclusions.  It's about as sound as Elspeth 2.0 having green in her cost because there is geren in her artwork...

And if there is this "strong" evindence, please share it with the rest of us.  Maybe from the books (which I haven't read any, but from my understanding, the books aren't exactly the best source of fact, since Wizards seems to change the story whenever they see fit).

I'm not say he won't be U/R (although I highly doubt it), but I don't think claims should be made of "strong evidence" when there is none.
Or he could just be mono U, but I don't think they'd print Jace again without a some sort of shift.

This, while not evidence either, is at least a very logical assumption.

I certainly don't have any confirmation on these theoretical dual colored walkers but here is my rationale on the matter:

First off, RtR has some big shoes to fill and with all the hype WotC surely knows they'd build, I bet they thought that guild colored walkers, especially of established colors, would be a big hit. This seems even more likely to me, because of the pritning or reprinting of these mono colored walkers recently, especially Jace. I feel this is supported further by Gatecrash's tagline "Fight for your Guild." What better way to 'one up' the original Rav by replacing some guild champions with guild walkers? It also sets up some interesting PW rivalries to contrast the walkers teaming up like has been built up to confront some of the major threats be they Bolas, Eldrazi, or even Phyrexian. 

Now to Jace and Gideon specifically. I think Gideon being R/W in the upcoming block makes a lot of sense. To start with the obvious: he's wearing the boros signet and is pictured with the guildmaster. Furthermore, Gideon is looking for allies to fight with. War is often depicted as very R/W in MtG, and I would argue that a quintessential soldier is a very R/W being, and many boros cards are soldiers. This also happens to be Gideon's creature type. 

The (what I feel) fairly strong logic of new Gideon's colors leads me to believe Jace changing colors to be more likely as well. The two pictures are rather congruent and that looks an awful lot like an Izzet signet on Jace's attire. Although this is a little more abstract, I also feel that Jace isn't particularly happy being the cold fish that he is. I think it's pretty evident that he feels some regret over past choices, specifically standing by Tez's cruel ways for too long. What better way to prevent that than embracing a bit more of the color that most focuses on trusting your own gut and taking action?
Show
Jace is either UR I think so or WU I do not think so.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

since Jace joined Izzet he either went UR or stayed U
WU is not an option
since Jace joined Izzet he either went UR or stayed U
WU is not an option

We don't have confirmation that Jace joined the Izzets. Just a picture of him and Niv-Mizzet standing together. And since those are the most marketable two people in the set, that's not surprising.
Gideon is shown with the Boros leader and he is confirmed to join that guild (not yet confirmed if as WR or W)

so by that logic Jace would join Izzet
both RTR and Gatecrash have 2 planeswalker each, with Jace and Gideon being confirmed, so there are still 2 slots open for Ral Zarek and Kiora Atua

(I'm guessing the third set has also 1 planeswalker, so that would leave one more slot)
I think some of you are making the assumption that once a planeswalker joins a guild, that planeswalker's personality becomes the colors of that guild.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
I think some of you are making the assumption that once a planeswalker joins a guild, that planeswalker's personality becomes the colors of that guild.