The DotP 2013 PSN League

221 posts / 0 new
Last post
Following the footsteps of our 1st tournament earlier this year, I want to organize a new, improved version. I read the other thread (created by jblanteigne) and, while the idea was good, the thread was a little messy. My goal here is to organize a league for PSN players, so we can decide what's better for us. Although I'll support anyone trying to do the same thing in other platforms. So, I'll start with some of my ideas:

1) Soratami's tournament was great. But, I know that the guys who were eliminated in the first round couldn't have fun like the others. That's why I want to do a League here. Here's my plan:

- Let's say we have X participants. They will be divided in 2 groups (A and B). Than, everyone plays against everyone inside their groups.

- Each match will consist of 3 games. Each victory will give the winner 1 point. So, if Jon Finkel plays against Kai Budde and gets a 3x0, Finkel gets 3 points and Kai gets none (sorry, Juggernaut fans). But, if Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa gets a 2x1 against Luis Scott-Vargas, Paulo gets 2 points and LSV still gets 1. Pretty straightforward. And I'm pretty sure I would get the last place in this tournament

- After all the matches are done, we look at the groups and see who are the 2 top players of each group. They will advance to the semifinals. The 1st in group A plays against the 2nd in group B. The 2 winners will face each other in the epic conclusion. The winners takes it all. Which is nothing, saddly

2) Soratami's idea of random decks that will be swaped after each round was great. I suggest we keep it.

3) And how about the expansion? Well, that depends a lot on its release date. Let's think about future problems in the future.

That's all I have now. Any comments are appreciated. Let's gather again, PSN players!

EDIT:

First, I'll add here the ID of everyone:

felbatista (confirmed)
thedevilwuster (confirmed)
N00BGamerIsN00b (confirmed)
Nikolaos_
ilikethispart (out)
antkour (confirmed)
JerseyPapa (confirmed)
ANdreG1001 (confirmed)
fma_011 (confirmed)
Black_Acre
Ormsie
slognard (confirmed)
EndarSeth (out)
Totenlicht (confirmed)
DJ-Katy (confirmed)
Gegliosch (confirmed)
Kashona (confirmed)
blabla7553 (confirmed)
EagleNiteWillow1 (confirmed)
scoobadude (confirmed)
Doctorugs420 (confirmed)
LiangHuBBB (confirmed)
OKChristian (confirmed)
Pterosaur (confirmed)

Waiting for a spot
JonnBlader
haawii
bj8534
BULLMAN64

If I forgot your ID or wrote it wrong, just shout and I'll edit this post. In fact, I'm asking here for everyone to confirm you're in, also agreeing with the rules. Talking about them, our feedback was good and I'm confident that random decks are the best option. The only change I'll be making here is about the deck swaps. As suggested by Dieknochenblume (Totenlicht), the loser of the match will choose the decks. I think this will add another layer of a healthy surprise factor in our league.

So far, 20 guys in the league. I really hope we can have an even number in the end. This will make everything easier :D

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I wasn't checking these boards at the time that the last tournament was organized, but it seemed like a lot of fun. I'm in.
I'd be in, although I think it'd be really cool if we could also do some 2HG tournaments as well.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
I wasn't checking these boards at the time that the last tournament was organized, but it seemed like a lot of fun. I'm in.

Hear is the original thread that explains the rules and the matches.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

@felbatista
Great idea. As I've posted before, I work... alot and it would be rude to think I could host this. If you are willing, that is great. Count me in.
I think a good idea might be to have a Core Release tourny sans Soratami in which the winner gets a bye in the Expansion Tournament.. the two top ranked players go on to byes in the 2HG Tournament of the Complete Universe......

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I'm up for it!
I'd be in, although I think it'd be really cool if we could also do some 2HG tournaments as well.

As long as Dream Puppets and Ajani's deck are banned then sure I would be up for 2HG, as for the league sign me up.
Great idea felbatista! count me in of course!

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

I play on PSN as Nikolaos_  I've only unlocked half the decks so far though.

If not random decks then it should be deck and card locks for a match, with both players agreeing what decks they're running before they begin to avoid stacked match-ups. 
Bump for more people to see.

My PSN is ilikethispart by the way. 
I'd be interested. PSN antkour
I completly don't get the idea of random decks. The idea of switching decks isn't that bad but why not allow players to choose decks which they like? Do you want game of luck or game of skill?
I think you need more skill to win with what you're given than what you choose.

Except if your opponents get the deck they like and you get decks you hate, you're at an immediate disadvantage. I don't like the random deck idea either.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
I think the random deck idea is fine the way it is. All the decks are balanced pretty similar anyways and you always have the option of replacing your worst deck with a more favorable one. I didn't make it too far last tournament so I need some redemption. I'm in again. My PSN name is the same as this one. 
I's also in! I miss the first one and I'd like to be part of the fun. I also support the 2HG tournament idea!!

PSN Id: ANdreG1001  
I'm glad you guys are interested in the league.

The random the deck was a really good idea in the first tournament. It created a more diverse tournament. I think it would be at its best here, since we don't have crap decks now. But, if the players don't like the idea, it can be dropped easily. That's the function of this thread: see who's up for it and discuss the rules.

So, I think it's a good time to ask: random decks or not? Remember that with random decks, you'll receive 4 decks, but will only play with 3. So, you'll be able to drop the one you don't like in the first rounds.

Another question: How about the league structure? Do you like it or not? Do you have some suggestions about it?

Feel free to add me in the PSN. The ID is: felbatista 

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I'd be in for this.  I like the league idea better than a single tournament bracket.

As to the deck selection, why not do it the opposite way?  Instead of giving people 4 at random and they pick one, have the players submit 4 they want to use and make three random pairings per matchup (leaving one chosen deck unused during each matchup).

I mean, I despise the Chandra deck, and mostly despise the Liliana one.  (though I'm figuring out better builds with it now.)  so I'd be grumpy if they're both in my list.  But I might say that I want Jace, Garruk, Yeva, and Nefarox as my four and be happy playing whatever 3 you assign to my games each round.
I'd be in for this.  I like the league idea better than a single tournament bracket.

As to the deck selection, why not do it the opposite way?  Instead of giving people 4 at random and they pick one, have the players submit 4 they want to use and make three random pairings per matchup (leaving one chosen deck unused during each matchup).

I think that's much more luck-based than the original concept. Say you like to play Jace and chooses it. In the first round, you have to play with it against someone using Goblins. Sure, this can happens with any format that involves random selection of decks, but at least in the original idea you can choose to not play with Jace until your opponent already had played with Goblins. 

I think the random deck idea is pretty interesting. With 10 decks total and being assigned four there is a good chance that we'd get at least one top tier deck with the option to not play the lowest tier deck. I think most of the decks are balanced well enough against each other that it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I play all of the decks anyway, so it makes no difference to me what I'm assigned.
I play all of the decks anyway, so it makes no difference to me what I'm assigned.

Don't get me wrong, I do try to play all the decks.  I'm just not sure I'd enjoy playing some of them in a competitive environment. 
Count me in. PSN account is fma_011.
Random decks is the most interesting mode in my opinion.
Pretty busy atm and didn't have time to unlock all decks yet, but it should be done in the next days.
I'm in. PSN name: Black_Acre. I don't care if it is random decks or not. I'll just hope I don't get Chandra or Jace! 
I enjoyed the first PSN tournament we had for Magic 2012 so I would be interested in a league.

Possible suggestion is that if it was a 10 round league then everyone would play each deck once creating an even playing field.

PSN ID: Ormsie

I play my best, you play your best --> best player wins
I play random, you play random --> random player wins

I think argument that there is no crap decks anymore is AGAINST random decks, because there is still huge likelihood that every deck would be involved and we finally get the same diverse tournament except everyone would play his favourite decks not random ones.

Everyone who wants play random decks would be still able to randomize it itself.
I would be interested if it is not random deck.  I haven't fully unlocked all decks yet and some matchups are pretty lopsided and leaving so much up to randomness doesn't sound fun.
I'm down for any format really.  PSN ID is slognard (imagine that)
Random decks sounds good. But either way works for me really.
Is this still gonna happen?
Is this still gonna happen?

We are waiting for more people.

-----------

I still like the random idea but anthing if fine for me.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

I'm in!

PSN: same as here

I dont like the idea of random decks, though. 

I play my best, you play your best --> best player wins
I play random, you play random --> random player wins

I think argument that there is no crap decks anymore is AGAINST random decks, because there is still huge likelihood that every deck would be involved and we finally get the same diverse tournament except everyone would play his favourite decks not random ones.

Everyone who wants play random decks would be still able to randomize it itself.

Just because every deck is strong doesn't mean every matchup is balanced. I don't wanna see a mediocre player win the tournament because a dog can pilot a Goblin deck to victory. If you can't play every deck, maybe you don't deserve to win a tournament, what's wrong with that?
Sure everyone can play every deck, but some don't want to. What's wrong with playing decks you like? Goblin deck is far from autowin and in any case proper build matters. There still would be switching decks rule.

You would prefer playing unbalanced matchup with deck that you choosed yourself or deck that you are forced to play with?

I'd prefer to play a bad matchup knowing my opponent didn't choose the frickin noobdeck himself.
I must say that I prefer the random choices with the winner playing a losing deck. Even though I was out in the first round of the last round, it was great. I was made to use SOS and I always heard that it was weak so I had never really used it, let alone trimmed it.
Brought me a great deck. Loved using it after that, and I had it strong.
Anyway I feel with the limited amounts of decks we have to choose from, I feel everyone who will be in the tourny will have a good relationship with all of them and that will make random decks strong.
Sure, I could play my favorite deck over and over again and win.... But where is the true skill in that?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I'm in PSN: Totenlicht

I'm up for the random decks, it's ok.  
Bump

Show

Count me in PSN: DJ-Katy.

I don't mind if the decks are random or not but I'd prefer not, purely because I haven't unlocked half of them yet. It's not a big deal though.

I'd like to play, if you keep the decks random.

PSN: Gegliosch 
Count me as well ;) i'm all for random decks, it's far more intresting .
PSN: Kashona
If you're up for some pre-tournament playtesting hit me up at
ID: thedevilwuster

Show

How do we pick random decks at all and when will the tournament be?