Invasion block draft!

369 posts / 0 new
Last post
As I stated in my Onslaught block draft the next request I had was for Invasion block...

Invasion
Planeshift
Apocalypse

Pack 1:

Crystal Spray
Fires of Yavimaya
Aura Shards
Searing Rays
Ravenous Rats
Agonizing Demise
Opt
Explosive Growth
Zap
Shackles
Whip Silk
Rampant Elephant
Savage Offensive
Dream Thrush
Quirion Trailblazer 
Welcome back Invasion Block!  I'll say that Agonizing Demise is a good start in any draft. 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Welcome back Invasion Block!  I'll say that Agonizing Demise is a good start in any draft. 

yep

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Yes! My favorite block!

And I've had very little chance to draft it. =o(
Thanks for starting this.
Crystal Spray: Probably does some pretty neat things in the format, and it cycles at worst. I don't think this is the kind of card you want to first pick though.
Fires of Yavimaya: It isn't awful like Fervor, but it commits you to two colors right away and I don't think it is first pickable either.
Aura Shards: Not really sure about this. I'd have to look at the block to determine how effective it would be.
Searing Rays: Reach when it is just reach generally isn't that good.
Ravenous Rats: I've never liked this card.
Agonizing Demise: Amazing!
Opt: Card is alright, much better than random filler if you reliably get blue.
Explosive Growth: It's an alright buff spell.
Zap: I love this card, value!
Shackles: Alright removal, but since they have to tap first it has the problem of most blue removal. Though this lets you switch what it is on which is very useful.
Whip Silk: I generally don't like spells that just give a creature a mediocre ability like reach or vigilance.
Rampant Elephant: Lots of mana for its body. Can't deal with tappers. Can't deal with anything with more than three toughness. I don't like it really.
Savage Offensive: Seems like an alright combat trick. First strike by itself isn't stellar, same with +1/+1, but together they are pretty good. It isn't something worth taking first.
Dream Thrush: An evasive body that fixes your mana. This is very good. The fixing mana is incredibly relevant in this format.
Quirion Trailblazer: It's a weak body and a weak effect for the cost in general Magic. But I think in the format it is a very good ability.

Demise is the pick.

Shackles: Alright removal, but since they have to tap first it has the problem of most blue removal. Though this lets you switch what it is on which is very useful.

One note on Shackles for this block.  It was pretty good in white/blue/x decks when it was straight Invasion.  However, it got much worse with Planeshift and all the gating creatures.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
demise.
Easy 1st pick is easy Demise.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Yep, Agonizing Demise. I've had some unexpected come-from-behind victories with that thing, played right.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
I'm going to pick Benalish Heralds, mostly on a gut feeling that we'll need all of the card advantage that we can get.

I'd be happy with Tribal Flames as well.

Drafting Invasion is weird! Cool

Also: why so many sucky rares!
Probe

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

tribal flames.

I'm going to pick Benalish Heralds, mostly on a gut feeling that we'll need all of the card advantage that we can get.

I'd be happy with Tribal Flames as well.

Drafting Invasion is weird! Cool

Also: why so many sucky rares!

If you want card advantage then the easy choice is Probe.

Green is very strong in this pack, with both Jade Leech and Kavu Climber. Probe is amazing. Cursed Flesh is probably going to be pretty good most of the time. Faerie Squadron is probably fine. Tribal Flames is good. Restrain is a combat trick that cycles, which is nice. Benalish Heralds seems like a good engine, it can both cause stalls and get you out of them.

I'd say Probe is the strongest card we could take. Tribal Flames could be considered "safer" I guess. But since our black card is good without red I think we take the Probe.
I always felt  B/G was a better overall combination with Apoc than R/U for anything other than the rare slot, so I'm partial to Jade Leech.

191752181 wrote:
Tribal Flames -- you can't really go wrong with it.  Since Invasion pushes you to as many colors as possible, it should at least deal 3 (Assuming we're r/b/g), and possibly as much as 5 late game.

As for the leech... Imperiosaur was never  something to write home about, though it did make an impact.  An Imperiosaur that taxes our other green spells (and means we want to have a decent green component, not to mention green has the best land fixing) is not great

I'll grant, Invasion was a different time, a time when Spiritmonger was terrifyingly powerful as creatures went (It probably wouldn't see much if any play today, competing against the likes of the Titans, Wurmcoil Engine, Thrun, and Sigarda).  And I'll grant that a lot of people liked the leeches (or at least some leeches.  Nobody likes Alabaster Leech)... but I'm not one of them

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

probe seems awesome.
Metathran Zombie

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Harrow. the backbone of basically every deck in Invasion limited is green fixing.

Harrow easily.
I'll go for Harrow too. The increasing number of colors is making me nervous, meaning that it's been a long time since I've played Invasion seriously.

I have had Harrow countered before. That was pretty sadface.
We should stay Grixis

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

We should stay Grixis

We aren't currently Grixis. I don't conisder Agonizing Demise to be a red spell.

And why do you want to be Grixis? 
slayer seems tempting, but harrow is good.
I just realized that Slayer had flying. I still think the choice is probably Harrow, it gets you everything you need.
Sure, Harrow. I like green/blue and green/black in Apocalypse.
Harrow.  Right now, we could drop red or blue.  I'd recommend blue.  Probe isn't great enough to lock us into blue, and aganozing demise's kicker isn't enough to make us consider sticking with red.

Of the two, we get more support for , since allied colors are in packs 1 and 2, while retaining a single enemy pair (b/g, probably the strongest) in pack 3.  is not as solid early, but Ana could pay big time if we open the volver.

Personally, I'd try to angle towards ...

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D

Harrow.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

Harrow, and R/G/B was exactly why I didn't want to draft Probe second pick.

191752181 wrote:

Is there something wrong with ?

Is there something wrong with ?

I wouldn't say wrong, per say, but I always felt (opinion) r/b was stronger than u/b in the first two packs and you also gain access to r/g in the first two packs, while you only have one pack of g/u.  

191752181 wrote:
Decree.  Calling Kavu, Wizards or Cleric is pretty good in this block, it kills the pro-acolytes, and at worst it kills Masters and Dragons equally.

191752181 wrote:
Decree's expensive but it's ballerific.

Decree is -- at worst -- a Terminate that bypasses shroud plus looking at your opponent's hand.  More often, it should kill two or more creatures, though I can see many circumstances where you'll take out quality over quantity (by calling "Dragon" or "Volver")

decree is fine. i like the look of the crab though.
I don't get how Tsabo's Decree made it this far, but I'll take it!
Decree.
Decree over nothing.

It has to be Decree. B/G has the mana to cast it under pressure, and it can flip games. If we weren't looking to be in green, time should be spent considering the other options, but nothing else is more than decent.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]