The Art We Want: A Happy Art Thread.

As the title says, what art do you want to see. Post examples, but use sblocks, please.

Feel free to talk about why you want art like the examples you post, but lets not have an art critisism thread.

I figure we can have a few categories to discuss, to liven things up, but please keep posts on topic, and remember the code of conduct. :P

I'll start.

Egalitarianism in Art
sexy without looking useless? sweet.

That's all from me, for now.

Let's see 'em, folks.

Let's give them examples of what to shoot for.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Here's Some More [sblock]

free fantasy art wallpaper no14437

Free Fantasy Dragon Wallpaper

And a final one:

community.wizards.com/dndnext/go/thread/...

This previous thread covers a similar topic. In it are a couple of my posts with examples of art I would like to see.

Like a lot of D&D fans, I like a most of Larry Elmore's stuff - and Todd Lockwood's.

I do support the notion that female characters can have functional looking equipment and not be drawn explicitly for sex-appeal. As well as that of demi-humans of different skin colors.

In general, I usually find single character portraits with limited background appealing, thought the grand full-pagers depciting a larger scene can sometimes be pretty cool. I also enjoyed the rough sketch style / exploded view pictures that were at the chapter beginning in the 3.5 core books. I dig the cartography style of Mike Schley. And I seem to have a preference for Western European style (that "traditional" medieval fantasy look); for example, I can recognize the quality of the Pathfinder cleric picture but the pseudo-Egyptian / Middle-Eastern look isn't my thing. Oh, and I've never liked the gigantic sword look... or really anything close to Anime.
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
I don't think I want anything to do with a DnD that doesn't occassionally depict some characters like the PF cleric. Even trying to look at DnD from a psuedo medieval europe mindset, that mindset demands (to me) the occasional eastern, middle eastern and/or african character.

Just some thoughts, though. Not looking to start a fight. :P

Question: Is the Elmore thing mostly nostalgia? (I ask because I've never understood the appeal of most of his art.)

Plague: fantastic set of images. Some of those will def be added to my collection.

also, if Astrid's Parlor taught me anything, it's that multiple art threads produce some overlap, but also a lot more new images than a single thread would.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I don't think I want anything to do with a DnD that doesn't occassionally depict some characters like the PF cleric. Even trying to look at DnD from a psuedo medieval europe mindset, that mindset demands (to me) the occasional eastern, middle eastern and/or african character.

Question: Is the Elmore thing mostly nostalgia? (I ask because I've never understood the appeal of most of his art.)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the eastern aesthetic shouldn' be included - it most definitely should be - but as a personal preference, I'm not a fan of the look.

As far as the Elmore thing, part of it is nostalgia, but some of his work is just really appealing to me. Not all of it, mind you. I'm not a big fan of his dragons. And he's definitely guilty of the women in ridiculous "sexy" armor. But what I would say is my all time favorite piece of D&D art is an Elmore painting:
What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That rubbing the poor itch of your opinion Make yourselves scabs?
Plaguescarred, what's the origin of the picture of ruined London? Even though it's a geographical mish-mash, it's fascinating and awesome.

(I can identify (from left to right) the Elizabeth Tower of the Houses of Parliament, the great hall of the Natural History Museum, Canary Wharf, and Tower Bridge. I'm not sure what the portico is that can be seen behind the left-hand side of the NHM.)

Obviously (given the standing water and the beached ship) the Underground is intended to be flooded, but wouldn't a post-apocalyptic Tube network make a great dungeon?

Good art should inspire many lines of thought.

Z.
Plaguescarred, what's the origin of the picture of ruined London? Even though it's a geographical mish-mash, it's fascinating and awesome.

You're welcome. I found it HERE

You're welcome. I found it HERE

Thank you! There's another one on the same site, showing the Thames as an almost dry canyon. Same geographical problems (like straightening the river), same awesome post-apocalyptic gloom and desolation.

On Elmore: for me, it's not just nostalgia. I find his work really evocative of a world that is not strictly medieval, but very clearly high fantasy. With the exception of the (not ubiquitous) problematic outfits for women, I find his work believable and appealing.

As for my suggestions:

Z.
Seriously good art you don't seem to picked a wide variety of styles as examples.
Ah, Elmore, bless him!  Don't know how to add an SBlock but does anyone remember Elmore's picture from 2e Players Guide of a group of adventures, all battered and scratched, posing for a painting, with the dragon they had killed and the treasure hoard they had collected.  Thye looked so proud and the dragon was about THREE FEET LONG and the treasure was one small chest about the size of a helmet!  I always loved that picture! 4e did epic but that 2e picture just spoke to me!

Hope this sblock thing works. First time for everything, I suppose!

Darn it! Got the scaling wrong!!!
Argh. How the memory plays tricks! I had forgotten how much he liked to stick beards on EVERYONE!
Oh my gosh, Doc, you included AMANO? <3

Here's some stuff I like:

multiple ethnicies

stuff from Eva Widermann (warning: long gallery ahead)

sandara's art

stuff I like in general

Argh. How the memory plays tricks! I had forgotten how much he liked to stick beards on EVERYONE!

nothing wrong with beards per se, they can look really awesome and enhance a character's personality if done right. However, I don't wish to see a Wilhelminian-esque beard on every second character and the 70's - 80's style just doesn't work for me ;)
As long as they go with a distinctly different approach than they did with the last two editions I'll be ok with it. Not because I don't like the art from the last two editions, I'd just like to see a different style for a change.
D&D Next - Basic and Expert Editions

I firmly believe that there should be two editions of the game; the core rules released as a "Basic" set and a more complicated expanded rules edition released as an "Expert" set. These two editions would provide separate entry points to the game; one for new players or players that want a more classic D&D game and another entry point for experienced gamers that want more options and all the other things they have come to expect from previous editions.

Also, they must release several rules modules covering the main elements of the game (i.e., classes, races, combat, magic, monsters, etc.) upon launch to further expand the game for those that still need more complexity in a particular element of the game.

Here's a mockup of the Basic Set I created.

(CLICK HERE TO VIEW LARGER IMAGE)

Basic Set

This boxed set contains a simple, "bare bones" edition of the game; the core rules. It's for those that want a rules-light edition of the game that is extremely modifiable or for new players that get intimidated easily by too many rules and/or options. The Basic Set contains everything needed to play with all the "classic" D&D races (i.e., Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling) and classes (i.e., Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard) all the way up to maximum level (i.e., 20th Level).

The Basic boxed set contains:

Quick Start Rules
A "choose your own way" adventure intended as an intro to RPGs and basic D&D terms.

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)
Features rules for playing the classic D&D races and classes all the way up to 20th level.

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)
Includes the basic rules for dungeon masters.

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)
Includes all the classic iconic monsters from D&D. 

Introductory Adventure
(Keep on the Borderlands)
An introductory adventure for beginning players and DMs.

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

A set of hardbound rules that contains the core rules plus expanded races and classes, more spells and a large selection of optional rules modules — that is, pretty much everything that experienced players have come to expect. Each expert edition manual may be purchased separately, or in a boxed set. The Expert set includes:

Expert PHB (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus 10 playable races, 10 character classes, expanded selection of spells and rules modules for players.)
Expert DMG (Hardcover, 250 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus expanded rules modules for DMs.)
Expert MM (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes an expanded list of monsters and creatures to challenge characters)

Expansions

These expansion rules modules can be used with both the Basic and Expert sets. Each expansion covers one specific aspect of the game, such as character creation, combat, spells, monsters, etc.) 

Hall of Heroes (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes a vast selection of playable character races and classes, new and old all in one book)
Combat and Tactics (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes dozens of new and old optional rules for combat all in one book)
Creature Compendium (Hardcover, 350 pages.$35 Includes hundreds of monsters, new and old all in one book)
The Grimoire (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes hundreds of new and old spells all in one book)

A Million Hit Points of Light: Shedding Light on Damage

A Million Hit Points of Light: Shedding Light on Damage and Hit Points

In my personal campaigns, I use the following system for damage and dying. It's a slight modification of the long-standing principles etsablished by the D&D game, only with a new definition of what 0 or less hit points means. I've been using it for years because it works really well. However, I've made some adjustments to take advantage of the D&D Next rules. I've decided to present the first part in a Q&A format for better clarity. So let's begin...

What are hit points?
The premise is very simple, but often misunderstood; hit points are an abstraction that represent the character's ability to avoid serious damage, not necessarily their ability to take serious damage. This is a very important distinction. They represent a combination of skillful maneuvering, toughness, stamina and luck. Some targets have more hit points because they are physically tougher and are harder to injure...others have more because they are experienced combatants and have learned how to turn near fatal blows into mere scratches by skillful maneuvering...and then others are just plain lucky. Once a character runs out of hit points they become vulnerable to serious life-threatening injuries.

So what exactly does it mean to "hit" with a successful attack roll, then?
It means that through your own skill and ability you may have wounded your target if the target lacks the hit points to avoid the full brunt of the attack. That's an important thing to keep in mind; a successful "hit" does not necessarily mean you physically damaged your target. It just means that your attack was well placed and forced the target to exert themselves in such a way as to leave them vulnerable to further attacks. For example, instead of severing the target's arm, the attack merely grazes them leaving a minor cut.

But the attack did 25 points of damage! Why did it only "graze" the target?
Because the target has more than 25 hit points. Your attack forced them to exert a lot of energy to avoid the attack, but because of their combat skill, toughness, stamina and luck, they managed to avoid being seriously injured. However, because of this attack, they may not have the reserves to avoid your next attack. Perhaps you knocked them off balance or the attack left them so fatigued they lack the stamina to evade another attack. It's the DM's call on how they want to narrate the exact reason the blow didn't kill or wound the target.

Yeah, but what about "touch" attacks that rely on physical contact?
Making physical contact with a target is a lot different than striking them, so these types of attacks are the exception. If a touch attack succeeds, the attacker manages to make contact with their target.

If hit points and weapon damage don't always represent actual damage to the target, then what does it represent?
Think of the damage from an attack as more like a "threat level" rather than actual physical damage that transfers directly to the target's body. That is, the more damage an attack does, the harder it is to avoid serious injury. For example, an attack that causes 14 points of damage is more likely to wound the target than 3 points of damage (depending on how many hit points the target has left). The higher the damage, the greater the chance is that the target will become seriously injured. So, an attack that does 34 points of damage could be thought of as a "threat level of 34." If the target doesn't have the hit points to negate that threat, they become seriously injured.

Ok, but shouldn't armor reduce the amount of damage delivered from an attack?
It does reduce damage; by making it harder for an attack to cause serious injury. A successful hit against an armored target suggests that the attack may have circumvented the target's armor by striking in a vulnerable area.

What about poison and other types of non-combat damage?
Hit point loss from non-physical forms of damage represents the character spitting the poison out just in time before it takes full strength or perhaps the poison just wasn't strong enough to affect them drastically, but still weakens them. Again, it's the DMs call on how to narrate the reasons why the character avoids serious harm from the damage.

If hit points don't don't represent actual damage then how does that make sense with spells like Cure Serious Wounds and other forms of healing like healer kits with bandages?
Hit points do represent some physical damage, just not serious physical damage. Healing magic and other forms of healing still affect these minor wounds just as well as more serious wounds. For example, bandaging up minor cuts and abrasions helps the character rejuvenate and relieve the pain and/or fatigue of hit point loss. The key thing to remember is that it's an abstraction that allows the DM freedom to interpret and narrate it as they see fit.

What if my attack reduces the target to 0 or less hit points?
If a player is reduced to 0 or less hit points they are wounded. If a monster or NPC is reduce to 0 or less hit points they are killed.

Why are monsters killed immediately and not players?
Because unless the monsters are crucial to the story, it makes combat resolution much faster. It is assumed that players immediately execute a coup de grace on wounded monsters as a finishing move.

What if a character is wounded by poison or other types of non-physical damage?
If a character becomes wounded from non-combat damage they still receive the effects of being wounded, regardless if they show any physical signs of injury (i.e., internal injuries are still considered injuries).

Ok. I get it...but what happens once a character is wounded?
See below.

Damage and Dying

Once a character is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they start taking real damage. In other words, their reserves have run out and they can no longer avoid taking serious damage.

1. Characters are fully operational as long as they have 1 hit point or more. They may have minor cuts, bruises, and superficial wounds, but they are are not impaired significantly. 
  2. Once they reach 0 or less hit points, they become Wounded (see below).That is, they have sustained a wound that impairs their ability to perform actions.
  3. If they reach a negative amount of hit points equal or greater than their Constitution score, they are Incapacitated. This means they are in critical condition and could possibly die.
  4. Characters will die if their hit points reach a negative amount greater than their Constitution score, plus their current level.

Unharmed: 1 hp or more
Wounded: 0 hp or less
Incapacitated: -(Constitution) to -(Constitution+Level)
Dead: Less than -(Constitution +Level)

Wounded
When the character reaches 0 or less hit points they become wounded. Wounded characters receive disadvantage on all attacks and saving throws until they heal back up to 1 hit point or more. This allows for a transitory stage between healthy and dying, without having to mess around with impairment rules while the character still has hit points left.

Incapacitated
Characters begin dying when they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution score. At which point, they must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw on each of their following turns (the disadvantage from being wounded does not apply for these saving throws).

If successful, the character remains dying, but their condition does not worsen.

If the saving throw fails, another DC 10 Constitution saving throw must be made. If that one fails, the character succumbs to their wounds and dies. If successful, the character stabilizes and is no longer dying.

Finally, if a dying character receives first aid or healing at any point, they immediately stabilize.

Dead
Characters will die if they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution, plus their current level. Thus, if an 8th level character with a Constitution score of 12 is down to 4 hit points then takes 24 points of damage (reducing their hit points to -20) the attack kills them outright.

As long as they go with a distinctly different approach than they did with the last two editions I'll be ok with it. Not because I don't like the art from the last two editions, I'd just like to see a different style for a change.

ASCII art and photographs of live models! ... *shudder*
ASCII art and photographs of live models! ... *shudder*

I think you might be on to something...maybe with some lolcats thrown in as well.

I firmly believe that there should be two editions of the game; the core rules released as a "Basic" set and a more complicated expanded rules edition released as an "Expert" set. These two editions would provide separate entry points to the game; one for new players or players that want a more classic D&D game and another entry point for experienced gamers that want more options and all the other things they have come to expect from previous editions.

Also, they must release several rules modules covering the main elements of the game (i.e., classes, races, combat, magic, monsters, etc.) upon launch to further expand the game for those that still need more complexity in a particular element of the game.

Basic Set

This boxed set contains a simple, "bare bones" edition of the game; the core rules. It's for those that want a rules-light edition of the game that is extremely modifiable or for new players that get intimidated easily by too many rules and/or options. The Basic Set contains everything needed to play with all the "classic" D&D races (i.e., Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling) and classes (i.e., Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard) all the way up to maximum level (i.e., 20th Level).

Quick Start Rules
A "choose your own way" adventure intended as an intro to RPGs and basic D&D terms.

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)
Features rules for playing the classic D&D races and classes all the way up to 20th level.

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

A set of hardbound rules that contains the core rules plus expanded races and classes, more spells and a large selection of optional rules modules — that is, pretty much everything that experienced players have come to expect. Each expert edition manual may be purchased separately, or in a boxed set. The Expert set includes:

Expert PHB (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus 10 playable races, 10 character classes, expanded selection of spells and rules modules for players.)
Expert DMG (Hardcover, 250 pages. $35 Includes core rules plus expanded rules modules for DMs.)
Expert MM (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes an expanded list of monsters and creatures to challenge characters)

Expansions

These expansion rules modules can be used with both the Basic and Expert sets. Each expansion covers one specific aspect of the game, such as character creation, combat, spells, monsters, etc.) 

Hall of Heroes (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes a vast selection of playable character races and classes, new and old all in one book)
Combat and Tactics (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes dozens of new and old optional rules for combat all in one book)
Creature Compendium (Hardcover, 350 pages.$35 Includes hundreds of monsters, new and old all in one book)
The Grimoire (Hardcover, 225 pages. $35 Includes hundreds of new and old spells all in one book)

In my personal campaigns, I use the following system for damage and dying. It's a slight modification of the long-standing principles etsablished by the D&D game, only with a new definition of what 0 or less hit points means. I've been using it for years because it works really well. However, I've made some adjustments to take advantage of the D&D Next rules. I've decided to present the first part in a Q&A format for better clarity. So let's begin...

What are hit points?
The premise is very simple, but often misunderstood; hit points are an abstraction that represent the character's ability to avoid serious damage, not necessarily their ability to take serious damage. This is a very important distinction. They represent a combination of skillful maneuvering, toughness, stamina and luck. Some targets have more hit points because they are physically tougher and are harder to injure...others have more because they are experienced combatants and have learned how to turn near fatal blows into mere scratches by skillful maneuvering...and then others are just plain lucky. Once a character runs out of hit points they become vulnerable to serious life-threatening injuries.

It means that through your own skill and ability you may have wounded your target if the target lacks the hit points to avoid the full brunt of the attack. That's an important thing to keep in mind; a successful "hit" does not necessarily mean you physically damaged your target. It just means that your attack was well placed and forced the target to exert themselves in such a way as to leave them vulnerable to further attacks. For example, instead of severing the target's arm, the attack merely grazes them leaving a minor cut.

Because the target has more than 25 hit points. Your attack forced them to exert a lot of energy to avoid the attack, but because of their combat skill, toughness, stamina and luck, they managed to avoid being seriously injured. However, because of this attack, they may not have the reserves to avoid your next attack. Perhaps you knocked them off balance or the attack left them so fatigued they lack the stamina to evade another attack. It's the DM's call on how they want to narrate the exact reason the blow didn't kill or wound the target.

Making physical contact with a target is a lot different than striking them, so these types of attacks are the exception. If a touch attack succeeds, the attacker manages to make contact with their target.

If hit points and weapon damage don't always represent actual damage to the target, then what does it represent?
Think of the damage from an attack as more like a "threat level" rather than actual physical damage that transfers directly to the target's body. That is, the more damage an attack does, the harder it is to avoid serious injury. For example, an attack that causes 14 points of damage is more likely to wound the target than 3 points of damage (depending on how many hit points the target has left). The higher the damage, the greater the chance is that the target will become seriously injured. So, an attack that does 34 points of damage could be thought of as a "threat level of 34." If the target doesn't have the hit points to negate that threat, they become seriously injured.

It does reduce damage; by making it harder for an attack to cause serious injury. A successful hit against an armored target suggests that the attack may have circumvented the target's armor by striking in a vulnerable area.

Hit point loss from non-physical forms of damage represents the character spitting the poison out just in time before it takes full strength or perhaps the poison just wasn't strong enough to affect them drastically, but still weakens them. Again, it's the DMs call on how to narrate the reasons why the character avoids serious harm from the damage.

If hit points don't don't represent actual damage then how does that make sense with spells like Cure Serious Wounds and other forms of healing like healer kits with bandages?
Hit points do represent some physical damage, just not serious physical damage. Healing magic and other forms of healing still affect these minor wounds just as well as more serious wounds. For example, bandaging up minor cuts and abrasions helps the character rejuvenate and relieve the pain and/or fatigue of hit point loss. The key thing to remember is that it's an abstraction that allows the DM freedom to interpret and narrate it as they see fit.

If a player is reduced to 0 or less hit points they are wounded. If a monster or NPC is reduce to 0 or less hit points they are killed.

Because unless the monsters are crucial to the story, it makes combat resolution much faster. It is assumed that players immediately execute a coup de grace on wounded monsters as a finishing move.

If a character becomes wounded from non-combat damage they still receive the effects of being wounded, regardless if they show any physical signs of injury (i.e., internal injuries are still considered injuries).

See below.

Damage and Dying

Once a character is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they start taking real damage. In other words, their reserves have run out and they can no longer avoid taking serious damage.

1. Characters are fully operational as long as they have 1 hit point or more. They may have minor cuts, bruises, and superficial wounds, but they are are not impaired significantly. 
  2. Once they reach 0 or less hit points, they become Wounded (see below).That is, they have sustained a wound that impairs their ability to perform actions.
  3. If they reach a negative amount of hit points equal or greater than their Constitution score, they are Incapacitated. This means they are in critical condition and could possibly die.
  4. Characters will die if their hit points reach a negative amount greater than their Constitution score, plus their current level.

Wounded
When the character reaches 0 or less hit points they become wounded. Wounded characters receive disadvantage on all attacks and saving throws until they heal back up to 1 hit point or more. This allows for a transitory stage between healthy and dying, without having to mess around with impairment rules while the character still has hit points left.

Incapacitated
Characters begin dying when they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution score. At which point, they must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw on each of their following turns (the disadvantage from being wounded does not apply for these saving throws).

If successful, the character remains dying, but their condition does not worsen.

If the saving throw fails, another DC 10 Constitution saving throw must be made. If that one fails, the character succumbs to their wounds and dies. If successful, the character stabilizes and is no longer dying.

Finally, if a dying character receives first aid or healing at any point, they immediately stabilize.

Dead
Characters will die if they reach a negative amount of hit points equal to their Constitution, plus their current level. Thus, if an 8th level character with a Constitution score of 12 is down to 4 hit points then takes 24 points of damage (reducing their hit points to -20) the attack kills them outright.

Also, I'd like to see the focus stay on humans, with equal and diverse amounts of non-human sprinkled in between. In 4e, every other page was either a tiefling or dragonborn. Even though the art was good, it was offputting to me.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

I'd like to see some good, realistic looking weapons and armor. The 3.5 weapons, in general, looked pretty good to me. The armor was a little lacking / goofy looking. But the 4e equipment looked cartoonish (in my opinion) and frankly the Pathfinder versions weren't that much better.

I know it's a fantasy game, but some things I like with a little realism - particularly the art.
Also, I'd like to see the focus stay on humans, with equal and diverse amounts of non-human sprinkled in between. In 4e, every other page was either a tiefling or dragonborn. Even though the art was good, it was offputting to me.

Why not the typical D&D humanoids?  (The big 4, iconic monsters, etc...)  And no, Dragonborn, Eladrin, and (newere art depiction at least) Tieflings never screamed iconic to me.  They felt like obscure references (whether from other settings or obscure books) shoehorned in...  And yes, I hate them.  Maybe if we rebrand them as half-dragon, grey elf, and (retro art/fluff) tiefling then I'll just move on...  Now, why not incorporate more global culture influence into D&D art like what Pathfinder has done?  Humans, elves, gnomes, blah blah blah, from different parts of the worlds of fantasy!

Show
IMAGE(http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/124/2/e/Arabian_Mage_by_skullbabyland.jpg)
IMAGE(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r959I00kE7I/TNBL47RjhJI/AAAAAAAAAgI/9B1fJLNbdOk/s1600/Celtic-warrior.jpg)
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/trancejeremy/BBSPhotos/RC-MU.jpg)
IMAGE(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m65k5bo8ex1qf2cguo2_400.jpg)
Okay, the last one's from Doctor Who...  What can I say?  I'm a big fan!

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
But the 4e equipment looked cartoonish (in my opinion) and frankly the Pathfinder versions weren't that much better.

I know it's a fantasy game, but some things I like with a little realism - particularly the art.

I agree wholeheartedly. The art in 4e, while talented, was definitely trying to cater to the WoW crowd, with it's dramamtic, stylized (yet cartoonish) artwork.  

I'd also like to see a low-fantasy style used for a change.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

No, not for me.  I liked alot of his stuff back then, & I still like it....  I'm sure if I saw it for the first time tomorrow that I'd like it. 
That's enough for me.

(I ask because I've never understood the appeal of most of his art.)

That's because your over-thinking it.  It's art.  You look at it & answer a very basic question; "Do I like this?"
Y/N/other, any answer you come up with is the right one.

No, not for me.  I liked alot of his stuff back then, & I still like it....  I'm sure if I saw it for the first time tomorrow that I'd like it. 
That's enough for me.

(I ask because I've never understood the appeal of most of his art.)

That's because your over-thinking it.  It's art.  You look at it & answer a very basic question; "Do I like this?"
Y/N/other, any answer you come up with is the right one.

lol There's nothing wrong with increasing your understanding of art and it's qualities, and better understanding why certain things are appealing or not appealing.

On a technical level, I think Elmore is overrated. He's got a few really good pieces, but most of the rest is...just decent.

In other words, a more talented artist could paint in the same style, and produce better works, IMO.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the eastern aesthetic shouldn' be included - it most definitely should be - but as a personal preference, I'm not a fan of the look.

As far as the Elmore thing, part of it is nostalgia, but some of his work is just really appealing to me. Not all of it, mind you. I'm not a big fan of his dragons. And he's definitely guilty of the women in ridiculous "sexy" armor. But what I would say is my all time favorite piece of D&D art is an Elmore painting:

That is one of his better works, I'll admit. and I do always picture dragonlance in his art style.

Ah, Elmore, bless him!  Don't know how to add an SBlock but does anyone remember Elmore's picture from 2e Players Guide of a group of adventures, all battered and scratched, posing for a painting, with the dragon they had killed and the treasure hoard they had collected.  Thye looked so proud and the dragon was about THREE FEET LONG and the treasure was one small chest about the size of a helmet!  I always loved that picture! 4e did epic but that 2e picture just spoke to me!

lol just goes to show how subjective these things are , I guess. I always thought that pic was...well, stupid. NO offense to you or anyone else who liked it, I just never liked that pic, from pretty much any perspective.

I think 5e art is going to have to be very ecclectic to make a majority of us at least fairly happy.

Oh my gosh, Doc, you included AMANO? <3

Here's some stuff I like:

multiple ethnicies

stuff from Eva Widermann (warning: long gallery ahead)

sandara's art

stuff I like in general

Amano is a legend. And it's a fantasy art style that I think is extremely appealing, and entirely absent from DnD. I wants more! :P

Honestly, if it's mostly humans, I'm not interested. I don't want to see 50+ % humans. At most, 30%, and a good mix of other races.

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
I do think I agree with the "typical humanoids" focus request though. I'm just not a big fan of the dragonborn, goliaths, warforged, etc. They can look cool, and I enjoy seeing them, just in small doses. But I favor a lower-fantasy setting most of the time.

Another of my alltime favorite pictures - and it's a crime against humanity it was removed from the 3rd release to the 3.5 release:
When I think dragon, this is what always comes to mind. Followed shortly by the animated Hobbit version of Smaug. Speaking of such - I also enjoyed the way dwarves were depicted in that movie. They weren't the heavily armored tanks of recent years, nor were they outlandishly caricatured.
What art I want, I want art that follows the appaearnce guidelines of each species.

Meaning I dont want to see a dark skinned elf thats not a drow just becuase someone wants to have one if it doesnt fit the description( Lets not go there, we all know that the wild elves and sun elves have varrying skin tones rather than the moon elves and what not, but only the drow are pitch black/ dark violet/etc).

but what I don't want is to see any of the 4e phbs artwork returning for 5e phbs..        some of it was nice.... but some was rather unispiring

so I guess I want inspiring art 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I'm just not a big fan of the dragonborn, goliaths, warforged, etc. They can look cool, and I enjoy seeing them, just in small doses. But I favor a lower-fantasy setting most of the time.

Totally. It makes it hard to immerse yourself in the game and connect on a human level when the human element is removed. 

Low-Fantasy FTW. I'd like to see artwork inspired by the works of Robert E. Howard, J.R.R. Tolkien, and G.R.R. Martin.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

Speaking of Larry Elmore, I'd love to see a faithful homage to his classic D&D red box cover painting...only more modernized (but staying within the low-fantasy theme of the original with the barbarian-ish warrior). 

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

Speaking of Larry Elmore, I'd love to see a faithful homage to his classic D&D red box cover painting...only more modernized (but staying within the low-fantasy theme of the original with the barbarian-ish warrior). 

The did do this for the 4E Red Box... not quite the same, but in the same realm.

I like it when the art is a scene from a day in the adventurer's life.  I don't like it so much when the art is just an action pose.

Also, I hope there are a variety of styles.  I'm no so much on an edition having a uniform art style, regardless of whether I like or dislike that style.
The did do this for the 4E Red Box... not quite the same, but in the same realm.

Ah...yeah. Never saw the interior covers just the exterior box with the original Elmore.

Still, love that painting. By far one of my favorite Elmore pieces.

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

Yep, Elmore's art has always been exactly how I've depicted DnD.  Gritty with characters just getting it done, and not an 8 foot sword to be seen.  As far as I'm concerned he could exclusively illustrate all the 5th ED books.

party kills dragon

Yep, Elmore's art has always been exactly how I've depicted DnD.  Gritty with characters just getting it done, and not an 8 foot sword to be seen.  As far as I'm concerned he could exclusively illustrate all the 5th ED books.

Now, that's the kind of D&D I like!  Quick, gritty, and no silly and too cartoony stuff (Now, going back to "retro" is not bad.  This art is beautiful and embodies adventure!  I wouldn't mind the realistic style coming back...  just, not the "cool retro hair styles" with it.  No '80s hair in my team

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I wouldn't mind the realistic style coming back...  just, not the "cool retro hair styles" with it.  No '80s hair in my team

100% Agreed.

It's called Low Fantasy art; It's the hallmark of a lot of old-school D&D artists, when things were based on semi-realistic and historic things, as opposed to off-the-wall silly stuff like dudes walking around in gigantic armor, wielding 30-foot swords and jumping over canyons while they cast lightning bolts at everything that moves.

The focus of Low Fantasy is more on the gritty side of fantasy. That is, it tends to be more believable...and less forgiving of whimsy.

I'd like to see it return, to be honest. 

Basic Set

Quick Start Rules

Player's Handbook
(Softcover, 125 pages)

Dungeon Master's Guide

(Softcover, 125 pages)

Monster Manual
(Softcover, 100 pages)

Introductory Adventure

Also includes: 

Character Sheets
Reference Sheets
Set of Dice

Expert Set

Expansions

What are hit points?

See below.

Damage and Dying

Wounded

Incapacitated

Dead

I do think I agree with the "typical humanoids" focus request though. I'm just not a big fan of the dragonborn, goliaths, warforged, etc. They can look cool, and I enjoy seeing them, just in small doses. But I favor a lower-fantasy setting most of the time.

[note:that dragon pic is epic, and should totally be re-used. That, and that one pic of the gnome hexblade hanging on by the fomorian or cyclops' eyelid and about to stab his magical sword into the thing's eyeball. Gotta love images that give a visceral sense of the scale of these enemies, and the absurd heroism of the adventurers that fight them.]

I can totally respect this POV, but I really don't want it to be the only POV represented in the core books.

For low fantasy, I'd love Jon Hodgeson to be the go to guy.

examples

(this one I'd like more if it had a real background, but otherwise it's great)

this one especially. love this one.

But I also want

Anyway, low fantasy images definately have a place, but I want a range from that to "dungeon punk". I just don't really dig Elmore specifically. :P I suppose I'd be ok with his art being in the books, but I'd rather someone like Hodgson covering the low fantasy, or him and a couple other people, for a mix of styles.

What art I want, I want art that follows the appaearnce guidelines of each species.

Meaning I dont want to see a dark skinned elf thats not a drow just becuase someone wants to have one if it doesnt fit the description( Lets not go there, we all know that the wild elves and sun elves have varrying skin tones rather than the moon elves and what not, but only the drow are pitch black/ dark violet/etc).

Wait, are you saying that you are or are not ok with elves like this:

ie, elves that have skin tone and possibly facial features reminiscent of non white RL ethnicities?

I'm guessing that you mean that the above is cool, but only drow should have the coal black/dark purple skin that they're known for, is that right?

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
does it fit the description for the wild elf ,sun elf wood elf, high elf moon elf, star elf, dusk elf , lythari and avariel and an etc elf???

wild elf I think...

yeah I'm fine with it.

should it be the default elf?? to me, no.

come to think of it, I wonder what people  would think if they made the phb with no art..... or used racial group shots.

say use a male sun elf, a female moon elf, a male wood elf, afemale wild elf, a female star elf, a male dusk elf, a male high elf, a female dark elf( non drow). leave the drow to tehir own with a male and female drow. and pile the lythari and the avariel in with the half elves.

this would be ofcourse if the dusk elves return for 5e....

yeah I think the racial group shots would do better.....   .
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Another thing I'd like to see more of is scenes, as opposed to portraits. I want both, but I definately want to see more scenes than has been common in wotc products.

some of my favorite scenes

also, tapestry-esque stuff would be awesome. Just sayin.

a lot of times, some kind of scene is a much better way of showcasing a character type than a portrait.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
does it fit the description for the wild elf ,sun elf wood elf, high elf moon elf, star elf, dusk elf , lythari and avariel and an etc elf???

wild elf I think...

yeah I'm fine with it.

should it be the default elf?? to me, no.

come to think of it, I wonder what people  would think if they made the phb with no art..... or used racial group shots.

say use a male sun elf, a female moon elf, a male wood elf, afemale wild elf, a female star elf, a male dusk elf, a male high elf, a female dark elf( non drow). leave the drow to tehir own with a male and female drow. and pile the lythari and the avariel in with the half elves.

this would be ofcourse if the dusk elves return for 5e....

yeah I think the racial group shots would do better.....   .

I'd much rather have pictures of characters, or even 4e style racial images, than lineups. Lineups are boring and uninspiring.

And frankly, I don't care about the history of it so much. There's no reason to not show a variety of skin tone and facial features in most humaniod races.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Yes, more scenes!  I love backgrounds, I love atmosphere, I love ambience!  It helps create the mood, create the world!  More scenes, please!  Also, I'm really hyped up on caffiene right now, thus why I sound so excited!

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
ah true the line up crime scene style were not the best in the world, but you'd have to admit they were better at showing each elf type than just writing

Eladrin also called moon elves, star elves, sun elves and have varety of x color for skin tone, eye color and hair color. 

which is just about the problem in the matter when per say all they show is the moon elf and or star elf( which get mistaken for moon elves)

how about a scenery art with a variety of different elves, etc in them for each ??

Sign In to post comments