[[Contest]] - Quest for the Answers to Life's Persistent Questions

263 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey kids. I want to make an ongoing contest. I like role-play. So here I am combining the two.

First step: create your character. I want you to create a Non-Legendary Creature. Something creative, and not OP. Any race.

The only other limits are the classes:
Wizard
Artificer
Shaman
Cleric
Spellshaper
Druid
Minion
Monger

You may pick an additional class. So you can be a Fish Shaman Assassin if you want. As long as part of your type-line has one of the classes listed above.

You may write a back-story if you wish. The plot-line of my story doesn't go deep into your past, so if you all have different pasts it doesn't matter much. At this time, I will not reveal anything about the story other than everything I have already told you. If you have a question about a made-up class or a class you think I forgot then please ask. I picked classes that interacted with other spells mostly. Your color does not matter. Just know that at this point your character is basically a neutral person, serving no man. I hope this sounds fun. This first contest is based around creativity and balance.

It is worth 20 points.

Tekkahedron
Show

Fenix.
Show

Morgothra
Show

Sebanovich
Show

ConfusedAsUsual
Show

Altimis
Show

an_endless_epedemic
Show

Magic Johnson
Sleeping
Guildmage14
ChaosLight
Daytime Lantern
Aviv_Ds_Knight
Metalevolence
vlord
Earthdawn
Hairless Thoctar
sabrolangtoken
catowner
Margerald

Anybody who wishes to join in late is totally able to. There will be a small point deduction for any late entries: -1-X, where X is the number of contests held since the entry contest. So if you enter right after the contest closes you'll get -1. If you enter 3 contests later you'll get -4.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Okay.

Seagrinder
Creature - Fish Shaman Assassin R
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature. Put X 1/1 blue and black Fish creature tokens onto the battlefield under your control, where X is the exiled creature's power.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, exile all Fish you control.
1/2 

He assassinates them with his magical shaman powers and turns them into fish that fight for him. When he dies the magic that made the fish stay alive goes away and they die too.

Bein' a fish shaman assassin aint easy. 
I like magic almost as much as i like basketball and surviving aids.
Webwaker Shama
creature - elf spider shaman
 , : tap or untap target land
1/1

this dude's like a drider from DnD except that instead of killing people for lolth, he animates his own webs and uses them to control the landscape. he was created by esper mages who traveled to naya shortly after the wars after the conflux calmed down. he's one of the many guardians of their laboratories in the deepest jungles.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Pain is a sensation. Sensations are to be enjoyed. I am in ecstasy.
Earthmover | | Creature — Human Druid | Uncommon | 1/1
: Target land loses all its abilities and becomes a 5/1 elemental creature until end of turn, it is still a land.

Yes, you can target your opponent's land.
: Target land loses all its abilities and becomes a 5/1 elemental creature until end of turn, it is still a land.

wow. we accidentally made pretty much the same thing. kind of.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Pain is a sensation. Sensations are to be enjoyed. I am in ecstasy.
Nekoru Firepriest
Creature - Cat Dragon Cleric
Flying, Lifelink
T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player. If a creature is dealt damage this way, regenerate it.
1/1

Firepriests are part of the religion of the nekoru. They use clever displays of fire and smoke to place those participating into a trance so they may talk to the gods and receive healing.

From mtgs wiki: Nekoru, or Cat-Dragons, are cat-like beings with reptilian wings from Jamuraa. It unknown whether they where actually descendants from the Elder Dragons, although their non-reptilian bodies seem to suggest otherwise. The nekoru Wasitora played an important role in the second Legends Cycle. The race was revisited in Time Spiral — when Teferi's host is transported to Madara near Talon Gates thanks to the call of Nicol Bolas, the partymeets the nekoruprince Yurei-teki. The name "Nekoru" comes from the Japanese word "Neko", for "cat", and "ru" (or "ryu"), for "dragon". Literally translated it means "cat-dragon".
Awww... I was literally going to do a Dragon Cleric, but Chaos posted before me... rats!

Ethereal Illusionist--
Creature - Illusion Spellshaper (R)

:T:, Discard a card: Pay the discarded cards mana cost. If you do, you may copy that spell and you may cast the copy without paying it's mana cost.

2 / 2

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Hotblooded Alterist :urm::urm:
Creature - Noggle Wizard (U)
: Target creature becomes a 1/4 until end of turn.
: Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.
1/1
"I'm in the business of turning one thing into something else, why should I care if you like the result?"

Follower of the Plague 
Creature - Rat Cleric
: Put a plague counter on Follower of the Plague.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gets one poison counter if the number of cards in his or her hand is less than the number of plague counters on Follower of the Plague.
1/1
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Akamori Honor-Blade -
Creature - Cat Samurai Shaman
Bushido 1
As long as ~ power is 3 or greater, it gains first strike and trample.
Within the Akamori range lived a tribe of cat people who trained in the ways of the samurai and studied in the art of shamanism.
2/2

Edit: Screw it, I want a Shamanic Samurai Cat
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Astral Cartographer
Creature-Human Wizard

When Astral Cartographer enters the battlefield, you may search you library for a land and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

2/1
To chart the stars is a lofty goal, and one he intends on achieving.
Inquisitive Spiritwalker :W::U:
Creature - Fox Shaman

Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature ~ haunts dies, you may return ~ to the battlefield. If you do, draw a card.

2/2

By tethering their souls to those still living, the spirit shamans of Ar can search even the Realms of Death for ancient secrets and arcane knowledge. 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Landscape Shaper

Creature-Human Druid
Tap: Untap target land. It becomes a copy of another target land until end of turn.
1/1
No barbarians? No rouges? No knights?

Mogg Architect |
Creature - Goblin Artificer

When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a non-creature artifact card. If you do, cast it without paying its mana cost. Shuffle your library. At the end of the turn, sacrifice it.

You asked for a bridge. You didn't ask for a sturdy bridge...

2/2
Mogg Architect |

When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a non-creature artifact card. If you do, cast it without paying its mana cost. Shuffle your library. At the end of the turn, sacrifice it.

2/2

What was a cute card became an amazing god-tier card when I read the flavor text.
Over the past few years, Servant of the Fire has wandered throughout the land. Learning the skills of Pyromancy. At the moment he is however weak and can only shape mana of other people into spells to do his bidding.

Servant of the Fire
|
Creature - Human Spellshaper
: Target spell loses all other effects and gains 'This card deals 3 damage to target creature or player'.
1/1
"Ask yourself this, who wouldn't want to set the world on fire? I'm just helping them out a bit."

Cheers, vlord.

You can be a Barbarian Shaman. Or a Rogue Monger. Or a Wizard Knight. You just have to be at least one class from the list.

Anyway, I'm glad people started submitting entries. This creature will be your character for the entire contest - the reason your creature isn't Legendary is simple, it hasn't yet become so. Feel free to edit you entries until the contest is closed. Thanks for joining in you guys.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I'll probably edit mine when I think of a cool idendity for cat dragons. You know, besides them being cats with wings.
ROUGH DRAFT!

Dauntless Prajurit

Creature -- Human Warrior Spellshaper

First strike

, : Discard a card. ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player. If the discarded spell was multicolored, untap ~.

2/3

Void Seeker
Creature - Rogue Wizard
At the beginnig of your upkeep, target player puts X cards from the top of his library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of -1/-1 counters on the battlefield.
, : Put a -1/-1 counter on a creature you control and a creature you don't control.
"Spreading physical and mental fatigue at the same time, Void Seekers do not scrupulize."
1/2

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Should do both. But I guess tapping players is against the rules.

Deal one damage to target creature or player. If a creature was dealt damage this way, tap it.

Deal one damage to target creature or player. If a creature was dealt damage this way, tap it.

Tap target creautre or player. ~ deals 1 damage to it.

Tap target creautre or player. ~ deals 1 damage to it.

[After five turns of tapping]
FOR GOODNESS SAKES WILL YOU STOP TAPPING ME! *Ragequit*
But... the card?

I love that design BTW. I wonder if we'll ever see it in Magic, either as a Un mechanic, or an actually developed mechanic.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Players are like old school artifacts, if they are tapped their abilities don't activate.

Stay tuned for Grades and Chapter II - coming soon - and by soon I mean tomorrow or monday.

139359831 wrote:
Released Reflection | :UM::UM::UM: | UC
Creature - Human Reflection Artificer
:UM:: Target Artifact you control becomes a 2/2 colorless Construct artifact creature token with haste until the end step.
I am your reflection, your other half. I mirror what you say and think. I am now the person, and you are now the reflection.
2/3

He was a reflection of an ametuar dark magician. The magician accidently let the reflection trap the himself. The reflection chose to become an artificer, but he still has the chance to become a magician.

P.S.: I know I was a few hours late, but can you make an exception please?
My Philosophies
1: Magic is awesome. 2: Haters gunna hate. And when they do, use your shotgun. 3: One Direction is quite possibly the most amazing thing ever. 4: I like boys. Got a problem? Then you're an idiot. 5: I'm better than you. 6: I am a vampire. 7: PONIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! [i](No, I'm not a brony. I like Actual ponies. The ones that are young horses?
First thing you should know, I'm a permanent newb. Jace has amazing hair! I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
My People Tallies
MagicPablo666: 1 ChaosLight: 1
Grades! Next Chapter in a few minutes!

MagicJohnson
Show

Okay.

Seagrinder
Creature - Fish Shaman Assassin R
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature. Put X 1/1 blue and black Fish creature tokens onto the battlefield under your control, where X is the exiled creature's power.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, exile all Fish you control.
1/2

He assassinates them with his magical shaman powers and turns them into fish that fight for him. When he dies the magic that made the fish stay alive goes away and they die too.

Bein' a fish shaman assassin aint easy.

Ha ha, nice job choosing the example to base your character card around. I look forward to the adventures of this fish. I initially saw his first effect as fairly White. Oblivion Ring and all, but there is some precedence for this in Black, Faceless Butcher says that it is okay. Again, his second effect seemed Green or White, i.e. Aura Mutation, but there was some Black Precedent for it. And I think the last effect fits nicely. He costs Five, for a wee little body, but at his worst he is still a UB exile spell. At his best he can be a lot more. I don’t particularly agree with your color-shifts, even with the above examples, but I do like the card. It should be fun.
13/20

saprolangtoken
Show

Webwaker Shama
creature - elf spider shaman
 , : tap or untap target land
1/1

this dude's like a drider from DnD except that instead of killing people for lolth, he animates his own webs and uses them to control the landscape. he was created by esper mages who traveled to naya shortly after the wars after the conflux calmed down. he's one of the many guardians of their laboratories in the deepest jungles.

I like this elf-spider. I’m not sure why an elf-spider would be blue, though if it were a mutant or something I could see it, but the effect is blueish. I would maybe have gone (), but that’s okay. Not a big deal. And I like the little flavor explanation. I enjoy the idea of animated webs. The effect is pretty good, too. Not super over-powered, and useless against some decks, but surely a card that could be used in Legacy or something. Also, I like the art that I imagine it having. Oh, but he is going to have to leave the jungle laboratories – fate calls.
14/20

Sleeping
Show

I like this one quite a bit. I think it a Rare, but that won’t effect the grade at all. With any pinger this is just loco. And, in a pinch, it provides a powerful blocker, and if the board is empty, or you have mana-flood, it could be a pretty good attacker. Not, broken per say, though I imagine there are ways to make it so. Reminds me of Liquimetal Coating March of the Machines combos. I look forward to seeing what else it can do.
16/20

ChaosLight
Show

Nekoru Firepriest
Creature - Cat Dragon Cleric
Flying, Lifelink
T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player. If a creature is dealt damage this way, regenerate it.
1/1

Firepriests are part of the religion of the nekoru. They use clever displays of fire and smoke to place those participating into a trance so they may talk to the gods and receive healing.

From mtgs wiki: Nekoru, or Cat-Dragons, are cat-like beings with reptilian wings from Jamuraa. It unknown whether they where actually descendants from the Elder Dragons, although their non-reptilian bodies seem to suggest otherwise. The nekoru Wasitora played an important role in the second Legends Cycle. The race was revisited in Time Spiral — when Teferi's host is transported to Madara near Talon Gates thanks to the call of Nicol Bolas, the partymeets the nekoruprince Yurei-teki. The name "Nekoru" comes from the Japanese word "Neko", for "cat", and "ru" (or "ryu"), for "dragon". Literally translated it means "cat-dragon".

Wonderful card. I think it might be too cheap, though. I think the logic was that it isn’t removal for your enemies creatures, like Vulshok Sorcerer and friends. I can see and respect that. The mechanics of it are simply lovely, though. A lot of flavor shines through – via dealing damage to heal a creature. I’m excited to see it in action. Also fun and interesting creature types, and thanks for the Wiki info. I would not have known that.
18/20

Altimis
Show

Awww... I was literally going to do a Dragon Cleric, but Chaos posted before me... rats!

Ethereal Illusionist--

:T:, Discard a card: Pay the discarded cards mana cost. If you do, you may copy that spell and you may cast the copy without paying it's mana cost.

2 / 2

Another creative submission, Altimis. I’m wondering if the wording is 100 percent correct here. Nevermind though. Could be really good with things that you want in your graveyard. That works, right? Or even just things that like discard. I was a little wary of putting Spellshaper on the list, because Spellshapers have a somewhat limited range, but this is really good.
18/20

Daytime Lantern
Show

Hotblooded Alterist :urm::urm:
Creature - Noggle Wizard (U)
: Target creature becomes a 1/4 until end of turn.
: Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.
1/1
"I'm in the business of turning one thing into something else, why should I care if you like the result?"

Noggles! Seems almost like a Weird, though. Funky strange abilities. I’m going to say that this is OP, but it is still fun-looking. I think turning your opponents Win condition into a little 1/4 is too good, for two mana. Also destroying firebreathing creatures, and poor Doran along with most walls. Very usable card. Sorry, the grade isn’t higher – but I do look forward to seeing what sort of stuff this guy can do.
13/20

Sebanovich
Show

Follower of the Plague 
Creature - Rat Cleric
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gets one poison counter if the number of cards in his or her hand is less to the number of plague counter on Follower of the Plague.
1/1

This is great, Seb. A rat that just gets sicker and sicker until he eventually starts sickening his enemies. Of course, it would appear that he is unaffected by his own disease – just a carrier. Definitely a card that will affect the way your opponent plays his or her deck. And with Proliferate this could be a power-house.
19/20

ConfusedAsUsual
Show

Akamori Honor-Blade -
Creature - Cat Samurai Shaman
Bushido 1
As long as ~ power is 3 or greater, it gains first strike and trample.
Within the Akamori range lived a tribe of cat people who trained in the ways of the samurai and studied in the art of shamanism.
2/2

Edit: Screw it, I want a Shamanic Samurai Cat

Samurai Shaman, eh? I think I remember your original submission. If I recall correctly it was pretty overpowered. This is better. It’s sort of like The Hulk. In order for it to gain true strength it has to enter into true combat. Part of this card just reads Unblockable. The other part reads, “opponents cannot attack you with creatures with toughness 3 or less, unless they want them to die.” This is good. I like an effective attacker who is also an effective blocker, especially when they don’t have vigilance, so you actually have to think about whether or not to use it and how.
16/20

Guildmage14
Show

Astral Cartographer
Creature-Human Wizard

When Astral Cartographer enters the battlefield, you may search you library for a land and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

2/1
To chart the stars is a lofty goal, and one he intends on achieving.

Nice card. A little bit of a stretch color-wise. Blue-fetch an’ all. And the fact that it isn’t a basic land is kinda crazy, too. I guess it is a Blue Sylvan Scrying on legs. You should probably have to reveal your land. Since this is pretty much strictly better than SS, I’m going to go with OP. Also I see no reason for it to be a 2/1 – but that’s nitpickery. Overall, I do really like the flavor, because it is super palpable, but the card is too strong and color-weird for my liking.
12/20

Morgothra
Show

Inquisitive Spiritwalker :W::U:
Creature - Fox Shaman

Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature ~ haunts dies, you may return ~ to the battlefield. If you do, draw a card.

2/2

By tethering their souls to those still living, the spirit shamans of Ar can search even the Realms of Death for ancient secrets and arcane knowledge.

I like the WU haunt. I see how it would take a while to activate, providing only a little bit of CA, but it is super difficult to get rid of, and without Black in the identity its power-level does go down, somewhat. Which is good, because a repeating 2/2 with card draw is strong. Seems like it’ll be an interesting card to watch.
15/20

HairlessThoctar
Show

Landscape Shaper

Creature-Human Druid
Tap: Untap target land. It becomes a copy of another target land until end of turn.
1/1

Cool. What a cute little card. Great for using your opponents’ creatures, if they have colored activated abilities. Also, great for double-mana lands. I just hope it is interesting to play as.
17/20

Tekkahedron
Show

Mogg Architect |

2/2

Ha ha ha ha. This is nice. I agree with HT that your flavor text is perfect. I wonder what non-creature artifact I would choose. I suppose you deck would be tuned for recursion. Anyway, I think this is both entertaining and good. I imagine he’ll be pretty amusing in the coming contest.
18/20

vlord
Show

Over the past few years, Servant of the Fire has wandered throughout the land. Learning the skills of Pyromancy. At the moment he is however weak and can only shape mana of other people into spells to do his bidding.

Servant of the Fire |
Creature - Human Spellshaper
: Target spell loses all other effects and gains 'This card deals 3 damage to target creature or player'.
1/1
"Ask yourself this, who wouldn't want to set the world on fire? I'm just helping them out a bit."

Cheers, vlord.

All your spells belong to Lightning Bolts. I love cards that make the game turn in to something else. I.e. Dovescape. This is like a mini-that. Instead of spells being doves, my Grave Titan is now a big ball of fire. When I try to Ponder all I can think about is Lightning. I like it. And the part of me that I think might be going insane, agrees with the flavor text quite a bit. As long as we’re talking about real fire. I am now imagining this card in real life. I attempt to make toast – lightning bolt comes out of my toaster. I try to fill up my car with gas – I fill it with lightning. I go on my daily feed-the-ducks-bread-crumbs walk – it is the last one I will ever take. Anyway, I digressed. Good Spellshaper. So far I’ve been impressed by both.
18/20

An_endless_epidemic
Show

ROUGH DRAFT!

Dauntless Prajurit

Creature -- Human Warrior Spellshaper

First strike

, : Discard a card. ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player. If the discarded spell was multicolored, untap ~.

2/3

Well, I’m grading this, despite it being a rough draft. If you want to edit it later, there will be penalties equivalent to late entry penalties. Details at bottom if I remember to right them. So, Wikipedia says that Prajurit is an wee little islet in Indonesia. But it is also in some Indonesian military rankings. I think that is where you imagined it. Your creature is like a soldier, except he is a warrior. Okay. Well, the card is pretty good, and by good I mean strong. Pack your deck with multi-colored spells and you’ll be set. If your deck is fast enough, this could be a pretty flashy finisher. Thank goodness it doesn’t have vigilance. Overall, I like it, even if I find it a little bland, and maybe lacking in flavor.
14/20

Fenix.
Show

Void Seeker
Creature - Rogue Wizard
At the beginnig of your upkeep, target player puts X cards from the top of his library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of -1/-1 counters on the battlefield.
, : Put a -1/-1 counter on a creature you control and a creature you don't control.
"Spreading physical and mental fatigue at the same time, Void Seekers do not scrupulize."
1/2

Yes! I wanted someone to make a Rogue. I know it wasn’t one of the requisite classes, but it really couldn’t be. I mean, just the type-line gives me a picture of your creature: “Rogue Wizard” – how much more bad-ass can you get? That being said, your creature doesn’t feel super-roguey. He feels like a helluva wizard. I like that he benefits from not killing all the creatures. He just wants to keep all these sick little power-depleted guys around. “Scrupulize” is a great made up word. I plan on saying it often. Next time I get in a “beef” with a “homie”, I will totally threaten “to scrupulize” his “face.” Anyway, I like your creepy evil card quite a bit. I look forward to seeing him quest for the answers.
16/20

Catowner
Show

Cryopyromancer
Creature - Human Wizard
:  Tap target creature, or ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
1/1

I kept reading this as “Target creature of~ deals 1 damage” which is great with infect nonsense. But, no, that wouldn’t really have been blue. Okay, well, I assume you realize this is way OP. A Minister of Impediments stapled to a Prodigal Pyromancer. Both those cards cost 3, and your card costs 2. I like the flavor. A wizard of both fire and ice, and I hope you continue in the Quest with this creature, but because I feel it is way OP, it will not receive the highest grade possible. My apologies.
10/20

Aviv_Ds_Knight
Show

Released Reflection | :UM::UM::UM: | UC
Creature - Human Reflection Artificer
:UM:: Target Artifact you control becomes a 2/2 colorless Construct artifact creature token with haste until the end step.
I am your reflection, your other half. I mirror what you say and think. I am now the person, and you are now the reflection.
2/3

He was a reflection of an ametuar dark magician. The magician accidently let the reflection trap the himself. The reflection chose to become an artificer, but he still has the chance to become a magician.

P.S.: I know I was a few hours late, but can you make an exception please?

Yes, I’m actually going to let people join late, they just get a minor reduction in score. If you make a submission after the contest is over, you get -1 -1 for each contest that has been held since, with a maximum of -3. So your grade will have 1 subtracted from it. Anyway, card. Super Blue. I like Artificers a lot, I was hoping for more of them. Not sure what a reflection is. It reminds me of Jessica’s Kralis world. Anyway, the card is okay. It isn’t overpowered. A 2/3 for , when compared to like Geralf’s Messenger is surely fine. The ability is strange. Why would you attack with a 2/2 artifact creature, when you can just attack with your 2/3 artificer. But I can see advantages, when blocking with an Ichor Wellspring or something. Anyway, the implications are intriguing and I am curious about what your intended purpose was. Glad to see another person on board. Your score includes the reduction.
13/20

139359831 wrote:
Chapter I - A Brief Encounter

You are sitting in a dusty tavern, far from home. You set out three months ago, with nothing in particular in mind. Any pre-conceived notions about what the world was like have been shattered. As you stare into whatever it is you drink, (Your character, for instance a Nekoru Firepriest seems like she would drink some sort of strong clear spirit, maybe something 180 proof. And a Hotblooded Alterist would probably drink a Fuzzy Navel or something), you begin to glance around you. What brought you to this dark place. You had heard much of the exotic land of Puetalia, but so far it wasn’t living up to its reputation.

The bar is dark, and lightly populated. Mostly a few tired looking Orcs, and a Minotaur. The Barkeep is a stunted Dwarf, who plays with his glass eye. You received a few glances and stares when you entered, (except for you Tekkahedron, Goblins aren’t strangers here), but when you quietly ordered your beverage, the Orcs went back to staring at the air. The Minotaur however continues to eye you.

The door creaks open and you glance up as a strangely tall man walks in. He walks straight to the back, and goes through a door. The excitement over, you begin to get up. Time to find lodging, when you hear the Minotaur’s fists hit the table.

“What do you think you’re doing in here? We don’t take kindly to freaks/(goblins.)” (Sorry Tek, I guess he just doesn’t like Goblins)

As you begin to answer he cuts you off, with a yell, and swipe from one of his massive hairy arms. He knocks you back against the wall, and even as you protest/warn/threaten/tremble he draws a large ax from its sheath and begins to take steps toward you. . .

Contest: Make an Instant or Sorcery or Artifact that your original card would use in order to combat this oppressor. It is possible to use a creature spell, if your character is capable of summoning creatures, but there must be some reasoning behind it. I don’t expect too many artifacts from non-artificers. If you aren’t an artificer and you choose to make an artifact I want some good reasoning for that as well. Enchantments are also accepted with reasoning. Important information: The Spell must interact with your original card in some way. I’m looking for synergy and flavor here. You can kill him, scare him, freeze him, burn him, turn him into something, teleport him, whatever: you just have to make sure he doesn't kill you. And if your original card could take care of a let's say 3/3 Vanilla, its okay, you are feeling flashy. You want to practice something. Really show this Jabroni what's up.

This is just a simple here-is-how-this-contest-is-going-to-work-type-thing. This contest is worth 10 points. I hope you all enjoy it. I know I will.

You have 48 hours - Go!

139359831 wrote:
Card
Splintershot | | Sorcery | Uncommon
Destroy target Wall, ~ deals damage to target creature equal to that Wall's toughness.

Action
The young Earthmover animates the panels on the dusty wall he has his back pressed against, recklessly flinging them towards the threat and bursting them midflight. Wood is an outdated fighting material, but it still has some sharp applications.

Flavor
Being an Earthmover I have the ability to manipulate most hardened non-organic substances like woods and metals.

Mechanics
Not much can stand in the way of a 5/1 without dying, walls can be an exception to this with their remarkable ammounts of toughness for cheap. Also walls just give aggro decks problems in general. This has the potential to be a strong wall hate card since it is possible for it to be a good 241 for only . However, if your opponent has no creatures then you must target your own creatures! That's where Earthmover and similar style cards come in, you now give yourself a target and are able to destroy a wall and a land for only ! Assuming all goes correctly that is.
Stuff:

Altimis
Show

Ethereal Illusionist --

2 / 2

Another creative submission, Altimis. I’m wondering if the wording is 100 percent correct here. Nevermind though. Could be really good with things that you want in your graveyard. That works, right? Or even just things that like discard. I was a little wary of putting Spellshaper on the list, because Spellshapers have a somewhat limited range, but this is really good.
18/20

Aha! I just realized some things with my card...
+ Discard a NONLAND card.
+ I actually intended it to work for Instants and Sorceries, but I forgot heheh... I'm not overly worried about that though (Llanowar Mentor exists). My intention was to be able to "reuse" spells tha exiled themselves as part of the cost... and to be able to cast sorceries at instant speed. Now that I see this... I'm thinking it might be too good *sigh*, not that I'm complaining, of course.

If I made it now:

Ethereal Illusionist --

, :T:, Discard a nonland card: Pay the discarded cards mana cost. If you do, you may copy that spell and you may cast the copy without paying it's mana cost.

2 / 2

It works extremely well with the new Spelltwine. Discard Spelltwine. Then cast it, and select the Spelltwine in my yard, and something from yours... and then choose two new targets for the new Spelltwine. Just some jank for you...

My Submission:
Card:

Ethereal Form--
Tribal Enchantment - Illusion (U)

Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to, and dealt by, creatures you control.

"Who would want to be involved in war these days? So much bloodshed and pain. Nothing practical for us civilized scholars."
-Morrow, Ethereal Illusionist-

Flavor:

So this is relatively different from the current flavor of Illusions, but hear me out (please)! From what I've seen about Illusions, most of them have some form of "evasion" (unblockable, spell-dodging, flying etc.); mine does not. He makes up for it by being a spellshaper, and a quite good one at that!
As for giving them protection from combat damage, I make them immune to "physical" damage. I mean how can they be damaged... they're Illusions (they're not real). Also, how can they damage anything, again... they're not real.
Also, it interacts with my "character" by needing to be Flashed out using his ability, and being a tribute to his race.

Story:

I groan.

Another hothead looking for a conflict.

I prefer riddles and traps to fighting and killing. I am a trickster at heart, and that leads to unfair battles and thus dishonorable victories. Thus, I tend to end in draws to "dignify" my opposers.

I stand calmly as I watch this beast aim his axe for my face. The axe went straight through my head, the wall, and my entire body. It might have made me blink; I don't really remember.

All of the sudden the bartender begins yelling curses at the minotaur for wrecking his bar and some of the other customers jump op to save the bar they love. The minotaur, now inches from my face, glares at me for some reason, probably because I'm not dead. He mutters "freak "under his breath and spits at me.

The minotaur is pushed out of the bar by angry orcs, and the bartender meanwhile I am left alone. I am not complaining, but I feel nobody wants to mess with me anymore. I'm glad, but sometimes the silent life is a bit dull. That's the reason I came on this venture in the first place.

*sigh*
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Mirror Defender | :UM:
Artifact Creature - Minion Construct
~ is colorless.
When ~ is blocked, it becomes a copy of the creature blocking it. Then it deals damage equal to it's power to you.
Reflections get +1/+1.
Mirrors enchanted to become what they reflect, deadly and taxing.
1/1

Action: I create a mirror defender, it fights the minotaur and I clench over in pain.

Can I give my guy a name?
Reflections are:
Spirit Mirror and Pure Reflection.
My Philosophies
1: Magic is awesome. 2: Haters gunna hate. And when they do, use your shotgun. 3: One Direction is quite possibly the most amazing thing ever. 4: I like boys. Got a problem? Then you're an idiot. 5: I'm better than you. 6: I am a vampire. 7: PONIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! [i](No, I'm not a brony. I like Actual ponies. The ones that are young horses?
First thing you should know, I'm a permanent newb. Jace has amazing hair! I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
My People Tallies
what happens next!

Aaak! My fish-bro realizes that he is out of the water and he can't breathe! His gills struggle fruitlessly while the angry (racist) minotaur punches him repeatedly.

In his dying breath* he summons up the energy for a saving grace...

Reckless Tides
Sorcery U
Return a creature at random to its owner's hand.
Return a creature card at random from your graveyard to the battlefield.

...and luck is on his side!

He dies but is immediately swept back into life, left only with an odd tingling sensation. The dwarf bartender was unfortunately swept into a mysterious void, never to be seen again (or will he???).

The Seagrinder gobbles up the minotaur upon its return to the barfield, and is rewarded with several fish minions to boot.
===
Reckless Tides is doubly good with seagrinder, since it can either bounce him OR zombify him and trigger his citp.

The random affects are there to a) balance the card and b) evoke the panic of a near-death experience.

I'm not entirely sure how he's going to survive this adventure - he's crossing his fingers for a watery locale.
I like magic almost as much as i like basketball and surviving aids.
Oh gosh, Magic and Sleeping your stories and blurbs are good and chuckle-provoking. All the submissions so far are exciting. I wanted to note that this is closing 48 hours from the original post, so about 46 hours from this post. I will edit the original now.

139359831 wrote:
Huh? Why?
My Philosophies
I am Black/Green
My People Tallies
Why is this minotaur attacking me? Aren't there other golbins here? Is it my fur? Is it because I'm smarter than him? All I know is I prefer my head in one piece. I quickly checked my pockets for something of use...

Improvised Explosives

Improvised Explosives |
Artifact

~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you played it from your library.
, , Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 5 damage to target creature.

A drop of oil, a pouch of rage powder, and a spark of inginuity.

Huh? Why?

I'm editing it so people know what the time limit is. The contest remains the same.

139359831 wrote:
No, deadline for what?
My Philosophies
I am Black/Green
My People Tallies
"I hate to be interrupted" grumbled the Void Seeker, as he was getting up, unphased. He didn't even have to think on his next move, he'd been in situations like this so many times his reaction was almost natural.

Silverbane Extract
Instant - Trap
If a creature with power 3 or greater is attacking you, you may tap a rogue creature you control instead of paying ~'s mana cost.
Remove target attacking creature from combat and put up to two -1/-1 counters on it.

Unsurprisingly, the minotaur didn't even notice the vial rolling on the ground and stepped right onto it, which sprayed a silver colored liquid upwards, gathering the attention of even the most disinterested orcs in the tavern. The assailant's lower half of the body froze instantly, locking him up mid-charge.

"Ha! You think this will stop me?" roared the minotaur, as he was raising his axe, ready to hurl it towards the hooded mage. He'd done this many times before, and he boasted about being the annual winner of his tribe's axe-throwing contest at every occasion. But this time something wasn't right, and he felt a kind of numbness creeping up from his legs towards his arms moments before the weapon left his hands. The axe left his grips too late, and hit the ground with a tud, tumbling a couple of times before stopping right at the feet of the Void Seeker.

Humiliated and powerless, the minotaur expected the mage to slit his throat or dispose of him with a spell. But "tsk" was the only thing the Void Seeker had to tell him while making his way towards the barkeep. Amidst the roaring laughter of the Orcs, the freezing effect wore off, but the enfeeblement remained. 

Show
English is not my 1st language and I know my prose is terrible, so don't be too harsh on me ;_;

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I sighed as I readied myself.

A freak.

That was what he called me but I am not offended in the least, as a matter of fact, I have already gotten used to it. I had been called a freak so many times in this foreign land that I lost count somewhere around 80. 

Or was it 90? 

Never mind, it doesn't matter, I flashed the minotaur one of my cockiest grin and beckoned him over with my blade.

-----------------------------------------------------
Ignite Anger -
Instant
Target creature attacks this turn if able. All creatures blocking that creature this turn gets +3/+0 until the end of turn.
"An angry man is a vulnerable man" - Takeda Sensei, fifth of the Nine
-----------------------------------------------------

The minotaur flared at my gesture and charged towards me recklessly, the walls trembling with every step he took. As he rose his ax, my katana flashed silver thrice.

The noisy minotaur had became still and eerily silent.

The onlookers stared with their mouth wide open. Whether they were in utter amazement or in utter shock, I did not know and I did not care either. I collected the silver coins I left at my table and walked out of the bar. 

The minotaur's deep agonized scream followed.

Flavor
One point I do like to add on is that if it seems improper for a samurai to provoke a fight (Even though the minotaur started it.), a red-green samurai isn't going to hold onto a very strict code of honor and conduct like white probably would.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
my dude

Follower of the Plague 
Creature - Rat Cleric
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gets one poison counter if the number of cards in his or her hand is less to the number of plague counter on Follower of the Plague.
1/1

Hasten Symptoms 
Instant
Target creature gets -1/-1 plus -1/-1 for each poison counter his or her controller has.
"You're sweating but you're freezing.  You're swelling but you're empty. You're bleeding but your skin is turning black.  You're breathing but... oh look at that, not breathing anymore."
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn