What Happened to Fighter Combat Challenge

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happened to the Fighter Class feature Combat Challenge?  When I create my character using the Insider Character Generator it only gives me the option of Combat Superiority (which is in the players handbook) and Combat Agility (which I don't see in the players handbook).  Any insight is appreciated.
What happened to the Fighter Class feature Combat Challenge?  When I create my character using the Insider Character Generator it only gives me the option of Combat Superiority (which is in the players handbook) and Combat Agility (which I don't see in the players handbook).  Any insight is appreciated.

those are in addition to combat challenge, which is automatic, you dont have to pick it
Combat Challenge is a Power Card (green, At-Will) in the DDi Character Builder but it is in fact a Class Feature. Refer to the Player's Handbook for the complete text since even the DDi Compendium doesn't show it correctly. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

It is very confusing because the character builder lists a dozen or so at-will powers, some of which give you the option to mark an enemy.  If Combat Challenge was a given then it does not make sense to offer the marking ability on at-will powers because you would have it anyway. 

The players handbook only lists 4 at-will powers but Combat Challenge is a class feature.

Have they maybe switched up the way Combat Challange works or am I totally missing something? 
im sorry if it doesnt make sense to you. combat challenge is a punishment for violating a mark. the fighter can mark on any target if a fighter attack whether it hits or misses. it is an at-will power...with the caveat that it is an immediate action. they havent switched it up, i just probably am not explaining it very well

the reason those other at-will powers mention marking as something out of the ordinary is bc for example there is one of them that lets you mark creatures that you didnt attack. does that make sense?
OK, lets see if I got this then.  On my turn, I use Viscious offense and attack monster A.  Hit or miss I can mark that monster.  Because I used Viscious offense I can then also mark any monster adjacent to me and it does not have to be the one I attacked.  Would that be right.
That would be correct.  You mark monster A for attacking it per the combat challenge feature.  Then the Vicious Offense power lets you mark a monster adjacent to you.  Doesn't have to be the same one you attacked.  Sucks if you only have one monster next to you as it's marked with the attack, but it's a way to multi-mark with the fighter.
Always keep in mind, "The character builder is not a rules source."
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I surely agree it is not a rules source and that is why you will be hearing a lot from me going forward.  I am totally new to the pnp game of d&d.

Can someone maybe explain why the players handbook only lists maybe four at-will powers for level one but when I use the Character Creator it lists about a dozen?  Same for encounter and daily powers.
Because the Player's Handbook only had 4 Powers published at released while the Character Builder list every Fighter Powers from all source ever published.

Also make sure you watch the Powers Requirements so you don't end up taking one you can't or won't use. For exemple you can't use a Power requiring a free hand or a two-handed weapon while holding a shield.

Requirement: You must be wielding a two-handed weapon.

Requirement: You must be using a shield.

Requirement: You must be wielding two melee weapons.

Requirement: You must have a hand free.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Can someone maybe explain why the players handbook only lists maybe four at-will powers for level one but when I use the Character Creator it lists about a dozen?  Same for encounter and daily powers.

Two additional splatbooks, several campaign guides and over one hundred issues of the online Dragon magazine... The character builder contains all the additional content released since the original PHB was published.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

This thread has been moved by VCL request.

If you have any questions, please contact:
Customer Service

Note that Wicked Strike has a Requirement of "One creature you have marked" or something like that.  Basically, in order to attack something with Wicked Strike, you have to have that something marked first.

This is a blessing if you get dominated since you can't be told to use Wicked Strike on your allies.  But it also means that you have to use Wicked Strike *after* marking something (usually second round or maybe on an action point.) 

This is a blessing if you get dominated since you can't be told to use Wicked Strike on your allies. 

I'd rather say its unfortunate instead, because the baked in attack penalty (-2) would have made it a better power to get attacked by otherwise, instead of another At-will or MBA Tongue Out

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Well, a mixed-blessing, then ....