New player looking for some help with my first deck and getting started in the game.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello everyone I recently started playing M:TG I know its not a super cheap game and I do intend to put money into it, right now I have a fairly limited card pool. I am very experienced in card games and strategy games in general but with such a large card base available I'm trying to find a solid starting point. My current deck is a Mix of 2 Dark Ascension intro packs: Grave Power I’ve based around cards that boost for every creature in grave with a few Werewolves mainly just because that is where I would like to go with the deck. Here is my current list

Creatures Green

1x Wolfbitten Captive/Krallenhorde Killer
1x Lambholt Elder/Silverpelt Werewolf
1x Young Wolf
4x Ambush Viper
1x Strangleroot Geist
2x Splinterfright
2x Ghoultree
2x Boneyard Wurm
1x Acidic Slime
3x Dawntreader Elk

Creatures Blue

1x Moon Herron
2x Deranged Assistant
1x Tower Geist
2x Armored Skaab
1x Alluring Siren
1x Chasm Drake

Spells Green

1x Feed the Pack
4x Mulch
3x Tracker's Instincts
1x Grim Flowering
3x Wreath of Geists

Land

3x Evolving Wilds
12x Forest
7x Island

I would like to run more Geist and Young wolves but I have only pulled one of each. I’ve been playing against a Black Avacyn Restored Event Deck that my Girlfriend bought when I bought my two intro packs. I do not plan on sticking with this deck and I don't feel the water portion of the deck serves a lot of purpose. The water is mainly there because that’s how the deck came and I don’t have enough green cards to transfer it to a full green or a green/red. The more competitive deck I would like to start with is actually something really close to this. With the deck in the link I can buy everything there aside of the Huntmasters for around 60$ off of ARG or with Huntmaster for about 127$.

So all in all what I’m looking for is advice as to whether my first deck looks ok enough to even get started with and if the Werewolf deck would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance for the comments. : )

As a new play it seems you're conflicted.

First pick something that you would like to play.  Are you wanting help with the UG or do you want to make a somewhat budget RG?  Also, one of the keys to successful decks is consitancy.  In aggressive builds that generally means 4-of for most of your cards.  The more able you are to win in a long game (control decks), the less you really need to run because you're going to be more likely to hit what you're after.  This is pretty aggressive, so I'd try 3-4 copies of most of your cards.  Start with the commons and uncommons.  Once you have the Geists and other creatures, start moving up in price.  I'd stick to 1 Acidic Slime and maybe 2-3 of your 5-casters, but it should at least be a start for now until you become more decisive.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.
Thank you for the advice, how do you feel about the werewolf deck for a new player? Will it be a solid starting point?
Tribal decks (Werewolves, Zombies, Humans, etc.) are a good place to start, because they are relatively easy to play and you aren't so dependent on mythic rares.  With Werewolves, you would probably want to run 4 Huntmaster of the Fells which are really expensive, and I haven't been impressed by any pure werewolf decks I've come across recently.  Zombies is really good right now.  There is a lot of synergy in Humans.  It seems like Goblins might be fun for the few months before rotation since it has some goodies in M13.

Whatever you do, have fun.  This is a game.Laughing

To auto link cards use [c*]Card name[/c*] just leave out the *'s.
To auto link cards use [c*]Card name[/c*] just leave out the *'s.

Thanks for that awe-inspirng insight.  With 16 posts, I assume you're here to get help, rather than give it.  If that's the case, you can open up gatherer.wizards.com/ and search the cards you are unfamiliar with.  It is not our job to spoon feed you when we're working with the amount of threads that this forum can present.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.