Dungeon Command: Mixing your sets to create your own unique warbands.

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
In our 5th preview article www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4... , I listed some guidelines for mixing sets and creating your own warbands. As we reach the release date, I'd love to see any warbands you've created!

And if you have any questions about warband building in Dungeon Command, feel free to ask here!

Chris 
Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris
As noted elsewhere, there was some confusion around the Umber Hulk (you clarified that the Umber Hulk is the one making the attack mentioned in the gaze power, not the target).

You also clarified that forced movement is a maximum, but the player causing the slide/etc. doesn't have to use that full amount. So, if you have a power that slides a target 3, you can just slide 2 instead.

One general question I had was around peeking at another player's cards. My guess is the game expects transparency. I can look at the foe that my opponent just deployed. If a creature attacks me, I can look at the card being used against me and know all of the particulars before deciding whether to use an immediate.

One thing we had to hunt for was around orders and line of sight. The requirement for line of sight appears in a text box rather than under Orders or Line of Sight, which was a bit unexpected. Orders need line of sight unless the card says otherwise.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

As noted elsewhere, there was some confusion around the Umber Hulk (you clarified that the Umber Hulk is the one making the attack mentioned in the gaze power, not the target).

Yes, the Umber Hulk's confusion gaze should be added to the official FAQ soon. I'll post a link when it's live.

You also clarified that forced movement is a maximum, but the player causing the slide/etc. doesn't have to use that full amount. So, if you have a power that slides a target 3, you can just slide 2 instead.

Yes. All movement is up to as many as you want. So if you are moving or shifting your speed (which let's say is 5) you can move or slide 0,1,2,3,4, or 5 spaces. The same goes for sliding. If you play an Order card that says to slide an adjacent creature 3 and you only want to slide him 1, that's fine. 

One general question I had was around peeking at another player's cards. My guess is the game expects transparency. I can look at the foe that my opponent just deployed. If a creature attacks me, I can look at the card being used against me and know all of the particulars before deciding whether to use an immediate.

Yes, absolutely. Once a creature is deployed, or a card is played, it's visible to all players. 

One thing we had to hunt for was around orders and line of sight. The requirement for line of sight appears in a text box rather than under Orders or Line of Sight, which was a bit unexpected. Orders need line of sight unless the card says otherwise.

Yes, whenever you play an Order card that has the active creature targeting a creature or space "within" x squares, you just need Line of Sight to that square. You don't need a clear shot (LOS to all 4 corners of that square), just LOS to one corner. 

I'm curious about the breakdown of the Order decks in the published sets.  Did you go for a roughly 1/3 each of Standard/Minor/Immediate, or some other formula?  Do you recommend players build to that formula?

Since Immediates can be used on either turn, making them more versatile than Standards, are you putting restrictions on their power when compared to Standards?  Otherwise, as more sets come out, what's to stop someone from building an all Immediate deck that works better than a mixed Standard/Immediate deck.  Or is this the type of variety you are looking to support, similar to MtGs support for a vast array of play types?
I'm curious about the breakdown of the Order decks in the published sets.  Did you go for a roughly 1/3 each of Standard/Minor/Immediate, or some other formula?  Do you recommend players build to that formula?

Since Immediates can be used on either turn, making them more versatile than Standards, are you putting restrictions on their power when compared to Standards?  Otherwise, as more sets come out, what's to stop someone from building an all Immediate deck that works better than a mixed Standard/Immediate deck.  Or is this the type of variety you are looking to support, similar to MtGs support for a vast array of play types?

In the faction packs, we do try to start with a 1/3 breakdown of immediate, standard, and minor cards. As we playtest the sets and try to make each faction pack feel unique, the breakdown does change. I would suggest starting  with the 1/3 breakdown and seeing where it takes you.

Immediates tend to have less to do with attacks and more to do with preventing damage. This means that while you can play immediates on your turn, you will most likely be wasting part of the effect.

As we introduce more cards, an all immediate deck is an option, but each creature can (normally) use only one per turn. You can gang up on them once they tap to use the immediate. However, more tools will become available and we hope we will see a variety of deck types!

Thanks Chris,

I'm excited about the flexibility.  I look forward to building a devastating Minor-only deck, just to see if I can make it work.
Chris, 

I'm trying to get a good read on how many of the same faction pack someone should pick up.  Clearly, it makes sense to pick up every unique faction pack if you're into customizing warbands, but since I'm going to be helping out the owner of my FLGS on Game Day, I want to prepare for the more extreme questions.

1.  Is there any limit to a particular card you can place in your deck (such as 4 in MtG)?
2. Can you build a warband of 12 Umber Hulks? 

Looking through the producs, I can see someone maybe buying two copies of the same faction pack, but it seems like youd be killing the variety of your warband by tripling or quadrupling your faction packs.  
Chris, 

I'm trying to get a good read on how many of the same faction pack someone should pick up.  Clearly, it makes sense to pick up every unique faction pack if you're into customizing warbands, but since I'm going to be helping out the owner of my FLGS on Game Day, I want to prepare for the more extreme questions.

1.  Is there any limit to a particular card you can place in your deck (such as 4 in MtG)?
2. Can you build a warband of 12 Umber Hulks? 

Looking through the producs, I can see someone maybe buying two copies of the same faction pack, but it seems like youd be killing the variety of your warband by tripling or quadrupling your faction packs.  

There is a limit. You can only have 4 of each unique card in your deck. The rule applies to both Order and Creature cards. 

So you could not have a warband full of 12 Umber Hulks.

Also, to give you some reference for warband building, no card is ever tripled in a Faction Pack. They are either single cards or doubled cards. So if you purchase 2 of each pack, you will have 4 of some cards and minis (the limit for warband building), and 2 of every other (a good number to get a feel for which cards you may want to get more of).  
A few questions:

1. If an Order card untaps a tapped creature on your turn, you can attack with the creature a second time as a Standard action, correct?

2. Are there plans to release smaller sized creature/card packs to expand your army? Or plans to release terrian tiles + new Order card packs or something? Or should we expect more faction packs of this same size for the forseeable future?
Tim Callahan Staff Writer at Tor.com and Comic Book Resources Blog: Geniusboy Firemelon
A few questions:

1. If an Order card untaps a tapped creature on your turn, you can attack with the creature a second time as a Standard action, correct?

Yes, as long as its still within it's current activation. 

2. Are there plans to release smaller sized creature/card packs to expand your army? Or plans to release terrian tiles + new Order card packs or something? Or should we expect more faction packs of this same size for the forseeable future?

I can't speak to any unannounced product. For now, we have 2 more faction packs that are the same specs as Cormyr and Lolth officially announced:

Tyranny of Goblins: www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p... 

Curse of Undeath: www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...
One thing the rules do not make clear is how cover interacts with ranged burst effects. Both the Copper Dragon and the Half-Orc Thug can perform a ranged attack that will burst to hit adjacent enemies. If adjacent enemies are in Obstructing terrain (or have cover due to LoS), can they tap to dodge the blast damage?

As an example: A Copper Dragon taps to perform a ranged attack against a Drider who is adjacent to a Spider that is in Obstructing terrain. The Drider takes full damage. Can the Spider tap to dodge the blast damage because it is in Obstructing terrain? Could the Spider tap if it were granted cover due to Line of Sight?

One thing the rules do not make clear is how cover interacts with ranged burst effects. Both the Copper Dragon and the Half-Orc Thug can perform a ranged attack that will burst to hit adjacent enemies. If adjacent enemies are in Obstructing terrain (or have cover due to LoS), can they tap to dodge the blast damage?

As an example: A Copper Dragon taps to perform a ranged attack against a Drider who is adjacent to a Spider that is in Obstructing terrain. The Drider takes full damage. Can the Spider tap to dodge the blast damage because it is in Obstructing terrain? Could the Spider tap if it were granted cover due to Line of Sight?

In your example, no the Spider could not tap to dodge. It could cower or use an Immediate action though. 

Creatures with cover can tap to dodge ranged attacks made against them. The splash damage from the Copper Dragon's Acid Breath or the Half-Orc Thug isn't targetting the adjacent creatures (in your example, the Spider) those creatures just take the damage and can't dodge away from it.

Note that if the target of the attack could dodge it, the splash would still happen since the splash is not contingent on the target taking damage from the attack, it's just automatic damage flying out from the adjacent square. 
Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing how sets develop. It seems that the attributes boil down to the following:

STR - Deal and evade melee damage, occasionally with a minor effect like healing
DEX - Battlefield movement, evasion and light attacks
INT - Spells to help you control the battlefield
WIS - Spells to boost your commander? Only see a "Draw Orders" card.
CON - Hinted at previously, not sure if it will make an appearance? Absorbing huge amounts of damage at the expense of speed?
CHA - ?

STR/DEX looks to be the choice for powerful beaters... get them to the opponent quickly, and stay alive while you pummel. ;)
I'm working on a war band that uses the copper dragon (maybe two).  The trick is getting it to be defensive and set up correctly.  I've been playing a lot with the Cormyr deck to try and figure out how to use the dragon the best.  It's been interesting.  Pretty sure I need a Dwarf Cleric.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com

Dwarf Cleric is completely brutal.
I'm working on a war band that uses the copper dragon (maybe two).  The trick is getting it to be defensive and set up correctly.  I've been playing a lot with the Cormyr deck to try and figure out how to use the dragon the best.  It's been interesting.  Pretty sure I need a Dwarf Cleric.

I think Copper Dragon is interesting, but I think we'll see a metagame that goes against putting your eggs in one basket. I don't think its viable yet, but new pieces available in upcoming sets could change that. Right now, I think he provides a safe home for an Arcane Ritual, and an occasional fireball cannon. You want to eliminate the dragon, but its such a threat on the field that you don't want to risk approaching it either. 

I think Copper Dragon is interesting, but I think we'll see a metagame that goes against putting your eggs in one basket. I don't think its viable yet, but new pieces available in upcoming sets could change that. Right now, I think he provides a safe home for an Arcane Ritual, and an occasional fireball cannon. You want to eliminate the dragon, but its such a threat on the field that you don't want to risk approaching it either. 

I appreciate the advice.  I've been playing Cormyr against my brother (he uses the drow), and I've lost every game.  I've learned more about the cards I like and what not, but it's still an uphill battle.  I love the Arcane Ritual card, and the ability to Fireball is a solid choice for me.  The trick is supporting the rest of my guys, especially against the DEX based drow who seem to move really well.  Granted, I'm not all about winning, but I would like to be able to pull it off every once in a while.

The two-player maps seems awfully small too.  Or is this just me?

Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Played another game.  Lost.  Here's more things I've learned about the copper dragon.  I'm also running Rhynseera as my Commander.

• The first turn usually allows me to be unhindered (as the forces haven't clashed yet).  This is a good time to grab some Morale, use Order cards that require me to tap, or just get a good position.  It also means (with Rhynseera) that by the next turn, as the forces start coming closer, that I will then have 2 more Leadership, meaning I can deploy a Level 2 figure to support.

• Arcane Portal and Arcane Ritual make great targets for the copper dragon, who can then let the army deploy all around him.  This really helps support the dragon.

• The dragon needs another piece to try and get the opponents to tap out.  Preferably something that can hold it's own.  I think the War Wizard, Half Orc Thug, and the Dwarf Cleric are all pieces that need to be used.  The issue?  They will take an extra turn.

• Damage prevention is key for the early turns against the dragon.

• Opponents love to swarm the dragon.  This is a great way to use cards like Fireball, as the opponent likely sets themself up in a solid formation.

• The ideal map (I think) is Starting tile, magic circle, plain, magic circle.  It puts the circles at a solid distance, as if you manage to get Arcane Ritual early, you want to start drawing extra cards ASAP.  With Rhynseera and the Ritual, you're drawing two cards a turn and filtering one (if you need to).  My opponent has always come to me, so I should find a way to get home turf advantage.

• Another strategy might be to try and collect Morale?  Not sure how to run this, as I don't want to drop little creatures when I really need something solid to support me.

Granted, this is only the first release of the game.  However, I def like playing the dragon the best, so I'm going to keep playing around with this strategy and see what I come up with.  That's the beauty of a game like this.  Great job Design Team!
I am Red/Green
I'm also running Rhynseera as my Commander.

OK, let's start right here. Rhynseera gives you a lot of order cards. How do you make that an advantage? By putting as many creatures on the field as you possibly can, making your opponent use their order cards, and then crushing them when they are out of options. You thrive on conflict, but only if you have enough pieces on the field.

More pieces on the field means more targets for your order cards. A level 3 piece can make use of better than half of the cards in your deck, and level 1/level 2 can use most of them. Getting more small pieces out means you can send one to gather morale, and another to start harassing the enemy. If something dies, it makes room for you to deploy a bigger and better piece at the end of your next turn.

The Copper Dragon should be the piece you put down to either save your butt or finish your opponent. Its not where you start. When you're at a disadvantage and you expect to be below half morale soon, you need to get enough levels freed up to play the dragon and pull any other pieces back into a defensive position to keep your remaining morale safe. Then drop the dragon. Line up other pieces behind it to support it, and push in. It can soak damage while you advance, and is a significant fast ranged attacker. You can cast arcane ritual on it to replenish your orders rapidly while your opponent is stuck looking for a solution. And if it dies and you were already lower than 6 morale, you're not taking as much of a hit as you would by having it die while you were at 6 or higher.

If you want to run the dragon, I actually suggest the Drow commander who starts with 9 Leadership.  You can't turn loot into cards with that many of your figures (though the Drow Wizard shares the extremely powerful Int stat with the dragon) but you can first-turn deploy Dragon + Cleric, which is brutal, or quickly supplement it with extra cheap guys.

If the dragon's your only piece on the board, you're going to have a lot of trouble.  It's tough, but being down that many actions per turn will leave you with a real uphill struggle, and you can draw extra cards with it (Arcane Ritual) but can't use any of the action-gainers since it isn't an Adventurer and doesn't have Dex.

If you want to run the dragon, I actually suggest the Drow commander who starts with 9 Leadership.  You can't turn loot into cards with that many of your figures (though the Drow Wizard shares the extremely powerful Int stat with the dragon) but you can first-turn deploy Dragon + Cleric, which is brutal, or quickly supplement it with extra cheap guys.

If the dragon's your only piece on the board, you're going to have a lot of trouble.  It's tough, but being down that many actions per turn will leave you with a real uphill struggle, and you can draw extra cards with it (Arcane Ritual) but can't use any of the action-gainers since it isn't an Adventurer and doesn't have Dex.

This is definitely something I never considered (mostly because I'm always playing against the drow commander).  So I now believe that I will switch over to this guy, since I plan on getting a second copy of each set.

Here's the warband I'm thinking of:

Copper Dragon
Copper Dragon
Dwarf Cleric
Dwarf Cleric
Drow Wizard
Drow Wizard
War Wizard
War Wizard
Half-orc Thug
Half-orc Thug
BLANK
BLANK

Obviously, this list will need some tweaking, but I think it has potential.  Another drow would probably help, but I'm looking to make the deck Str/Int.  We'll see.

Thanks for the advice/help so far.  Granted, we only have so many choices right now, but I've really enjoyed the dragon the most, so I want to keep trying to get things right with him.  I plan on posting a deck list soon.
War Wizard
I am Red/Green

I think I'd fill the other two slots with Drow House Guards or one of the Level 1's to go grab treasure.  The L1s do it a bit better since they're faster, but the House Guards let you draw cards with the commander ability.  Human Ranger could be ok too if you're playing a lot of the lower level Str cards, since she moves 7.

I think I'd fill the other two slots with Drow House Guards or one of the Level 1's to go grab treasure.  The L1s do it a bit better since they're faster, but the House Guards let you draw cards with the commander ability.  Human Ranger could be ok too if you're playing a lot of the lower level Str cards, since she moves 7.

I ended up getting a second set of each today, and my FLGS owner gave me two promo Drow Wizards (I also got the promo Secret Passage and Into the Fray cards too).  I came home, put together a warband, and have started tweaking.  I'm still playing around with my other options.  Here's what I like so far:

Copper Dragon
Copper Dragon
Dwarf Cleric
Dwarf Cleric
Drow Wizard
Drow Wizard
Drow Wizard
Drow Wizard

The other 4 minis are kind of up in the air.  I ran 2 Half-orc Thugs and 2 Human Ranger and never bothered to play them when I had the choice.  Not sure if I should maybe try the Dragon Knight, or try and get 2 more Clerics (ebay is probably the way to go for this).  Maybe the War Wizard needs to be tried next, but I don't have a ton of Int attacks (only what is available).  The range helps too.

Deck wise, Faerie Fire is amazing.  The clerics also use Wis, so I'm thinking about throwing in 2 Scheme to draw me some extra cards.

I want to tweak a little bit more before I post a deck list.  I'll keep you guys informed.  Thanks for all the advice!
I am Red/Green
Chris, is there any way we can get access to either images of the creature and order cards or at least some kind of database will all the card info? It'd be really nice to have that all easily available for warband construction purposes and just getting to know all the different cards better.
I want to tweak a little bit more before I post a deck list.  I'll keep you guys informed.  Thanks for all the advice!

Hi FotD,

Here's my take on a Copper Dragon Band. You might not have all the cards needed for this, but you can use this as a suggestion for what may help make it work.

Commander: Kalteros the Sellword (9 Leadership)

Kalteros is necessary to get your Dragons out on the field early with a few supporting pieces.

Creatures (12)
2x Copper Dragon (L6 STR/INT)
2x War Wizard (L4 INT)
2x Dwarven Cleric (L3 STR/WIS/CON)
2x Drow Wizard (L2 INT/DEX)
2x Dwarven Defender (L2 STR/CON)
2x Elf Archer (L1 DEX)

High Intelligence content... we'll be casting a lot of spells. I'd potentially swap War Wizards for more Drow Wizards after playtesting, but War Wizards are certainly a greater threat and much more durable.

Order Cards (33)
2x Killing Blow (L5 STR)
2x Invigorating Smash (L4 STR)
2x Forceful Strike (L3 STR)
2x Battle Ready (L4 STR)
2x Fireball (L3 INT)
3x Arcane Ritual (L2 INT)
2x Faerie Fire (L2 INT, Edit: Drow affinity)
2x Blast of Force (L2 INT)
4x Shield (L2 INT)
2x Defend Ally (L1 STR)
2x Healing Potion (L1 Any)
4x Into the Fray (L1 Any)
2x Sacrifice (L1 Any)
2x Saving Throw (L1 Any)

You are basically sending your dragon out to smash your opponents, with ranged backup from a wizard or archer. When its damaged, fly it back to a protected area using Into the Fray, or just back it far enough off that you can fireball/breathe the melee chasers into submission. Shield, Battle Ready and Saving Throw all work to keep your Dragon(and potentially dragon-s) ready for a fight.
I don't know why everyone is so excited about the Dragon. I feel that a strong Adventurer theme built around Dwarven Defenders and the Dragon Knight could be much more devastating:

Leader: Kalteros the Sellsword

2x Dragon Knight (L4 STR/CON)

1x War Wizard (L4 INT)

1x Half-Orc Thug (L3 STR/DEX)
2x Dwarf Cleric (L3 STR/CON/WIS)

2x Drow Wizard (L2 DEX/INT)
4x Dwarven Defender (L2 STR/CON)

Mix in 4x Level Up, INT-Draw-Engines, Quick Shot, some save cards and untapping effects to make full use of your most dangerous creatures. I would even use some Piercing Strikes to finish off the biggest threats with your Half-Orc Thug or Drow Wizard. Voilà!

You simply move the tank around, hiding your Defenders behind the adventurers, and use as many Level Ups on Dwarven Defenders as possible (no more than one on each, of course Wink), so they can defend each other. This should prove too much for your opponent since your adventurers should only be killable through Order cards. The Half-Orc Thug is nice to use the "splash" effect on enemy models ganging up on your characters. The Defenders soak up the collateral damage, if any.

Kalteros is only used for the extra 2 levels. Should the Drow Wizards have the leasure to collect treasure, that would be a nice bonus, but not necessary, because this warband should be able to keep its losses at a minimum.
Gapraid, I just like the Dragon, so I'm most interested in playing with it.  Adventurers seem to be a popular choice, but I'm just not that interested in playing them.  More power to you for doing so.  I'm enjoying the challenge of customizing a warband that I enjoy (although I am eagerly anticipating the goblin warband).

RPG Chicago, my build is similar, but I'm at the point of more tweaking.  I think 4 Drow Wizard are a must, especially since I'm running Kalteros and want to benefit from his ability in some way.  Into the Fray has definitely become a 4 of card for the deck.

I've also been interested in building around the Drow Queen.  Use Drow Priestesses and spiders mixed in with some Driders could have some really cool results.
I am Red/Green
Gapraid, I just like the Dragon, so I'm most interested in playing with it.  Adventurers seem to be a popular choice, but I'm just not that interested in playing them.  More power to you for doing so.  I'm enjoying the challenge of customizing a warband that I enjoy (although I am eagerly anticipating the goblin warband).

I don't play the warband at all. I just wondered why nobody mentioned the Dragon Knight which seems much more powerful in a deck of its own, than the Copper Dragon. Right now I play with the starters as they come. No tweaking until a community has been established in my area. I find it dreadful to kill the fluff and mix Drow with dwarves, other elven races and halflings. IMHO it is a no-go to mix evil and good races (although I cannot understand why not all Drow have the Evil ability). I just took a look at the powergaming aspect of the game. I would have been much happier, if the game designers had separated good from evil creatures and gave us some neutral ones to put in the mix. But I guess that the game has been influenced quite a bit by MTG, including the fact that you can play everything you want in any combinations imaginable.

I don't play the warband at all. I just wondered why nobody mentioned the Dragon Knight which seems much more powerful in a deck of its own, than the Copper Dragon. Right now I play with the starters as they come. No tweaking until a community has been established in my area. I find it dreadful to kill the fluff and mix Drow with dwarves, other elven races and halflings. IMHO it is a no-go to mix evil and good races (although I cannot understand why not all Drow have the Evil ability). I just took a look at the powergaming aspect of the game. I would have been much happier, if the game designers had separated good from evil creatures and gave us some neutral ones to put in the mix. But I guess that the game has been influenced quite a bit by MTG, including the fact that you can play everything you want in any combinations imaginable.

I like how we have the option for both good and evil.  The copper dragon has good as a keyword, while the priestess has evil.  Down the road, people will be able to make "good" and "evil" warbands.  It's just another theme to be used.

I played the Cormyr set out of the box against my brother, who was using the drow.  All in all, I couldn't wait to start creating my own warbands because I felt that the Drow were much, much stronger than Cormyr.

The Dragon Knight is a beast though.  I agree with you.  Personally, he just doesn't seem as cool as a dragon.  I would definitely run a couple of them for an Adventurer warband though.  His Strength/base attack already make him a force to be reckoned with.
I am Red/Green
I don't know why everyone is so excited about the Dragon.

I don't think most people are excited about the dragon at all. Its a capable piece, but needs a lot of support and good tactical play to be worth its cost. My warband suggestion is how I would go about doing that. I wouldn't use the dragon in a warband that wasn't designed to maximize its potential, much like the old DDM skirmish game had warbands that focused on the use of 1 or 2 critical pieces.

The Dragon Knight is very good, but not fast. He's also going to be half or more of your deployed forces during much of the game. And when you lose him, you will definitely feel the morale hit. You're not gaining as much morale as the enemy with your slow band and slow commander; your enemy will have more control of the field, and be more able to sacrifice a few creatures to disrupting your group.
The Dragon Knight is *brutal* with Behind Enemy Lines. He can take out a lot of just-deployed figures, especially if he has some order card back-up. What does he fear? The Umber Hulk!

The warband I've been using looks like this:

Warband - Creatures (12 cards)
2x Dragon Knight (C2) Lvl 5 Str, Con
2x Dwarf Cleric (C3) Lvl 3 Str, Con, Wis
3x Dwarven Defender (C5) Lvl 2 Str, Con
1x Halfling Sneak (C9) Lvl 1 Dex
1x Half-Orc Thug (C10) Lvl 3 Str, Dex
1x Human Ranger (C11) Lvl 2 Str, Dex
2x War Wizard (C12) Lvl 4 Int

Order Deck (30 cards)
2x (C1) Arcane Ritual (Int 2) minor
2x (C3) Behind Enemy Lines (Any 1) minor
2x (C5) Cleave (Str 2) minor
4x (C6) Daring Attack (Str 3) standard
1x (C9) Defend Ally (Str 1) immediate
1x (C10) Disrupting Attack (Str 2) standard
2x (C13) Forceful Strike (Str 3) standard
1x (C14) Healing Potion (Any 1) minor
4x (C15) Heroic Surge (Any 1) minor
3x (C17) Intercept (Str 1) immediate
2x (C19) Into the Fray (Any 1) minor
2x (C21) Invigorating Smash (Str 4) standard
1x (C22) Killing Strike (Str 5) standard
2x (C25) Power Attack (Str 1) standard
1x (C32) Seize the Opportunity (Str 2) immediate 

The warband builds around the Adventurer keyword, and I think I could do a better job of building it now, but until more of my friends start building their own warbands, that's what I'm using. The synergy between Defender+Cleric+Knight is very good, and my War Wizards hunt down and destroy Drow Wizards in particular.

Cheers,
Merric 

Merric Blackman

Blog: Merric's Musings; On Twitter: MerricB

Your really play the Halfling Sneak in your warband? Even if they don't have the Adventurer keyword, I would always pick the Elf Archers over him because of the ranged attack and better speed they provide. You have no DEX cards to make use of him and the ANY cards are better used on other characters to be honest.

And no Fireball Trap??? It is one of the best cards in the game! If you play the War Wizard, that card should be an auto-include IMHO.

Also you assume meeting Drow only warbands. Did you agree upon house rules to play minis from the same box only or are you just forgetting about other Heroes?Wink
The Halfling Sneak is much better than the Archers here because his purpose is mostly to pick treasures, in which case the Commander's ability to double move by spending an action if the mini is an Adventurer is a boon. Also, once he's done his job, with a Dwarven Defender in play the Halfling Sneak is a very efficient piece, dealing 20 from attack and flanking damage and effectively having 40 HPs (thanks to Block 10) all for a measly Level 1.
Sorry, but that doesn't make him any better, IMHO. To walk extra Speed he needs to give up his action of the round, so no treasure. In the next turn he can easily be killed by a mobile opponent. In melee combat he still stinks, even if he can use his flanking damage and has the Dwarven Defender next to him. To move pieces, only to make that little sneak 10 damage better, is no option in my book. I'd rather play no level 1 creature instead of using him, if that is the choice I am given.

Ranged attacks from the Elf Archers are little nasties because nobody dares to use good cards on his 10 damage. So it is a very good creature to slowly wither the opposition away and deliver the killing blow with another mini, when cowering really hurts. Also the Elf Archer is great to deliver the "killing blow" and reduce enemy morale, since it is not unlikely your opponent might pay 1 morale to save his level 3+ creature.
Sorry, but that doesn't make him any better, IMHO. To walk extra Speed he needs to give up his action of the round, so no treasure.

Wait, so you can't pick treasures on the next turn?

He has effectively 12 speed, which does make him a better treasure hunter for use in distant tiles or enemy territory than even Demonweb Spider in the Lolth bands (not as good as Drider but the Drider is level 4 and should be on the frontline if possible). If there's one thing the Cormyr bands need, it's a cheap way to go get treasure that won't disrupt their formations, on which the warband depends a lot.

I'm with Gapraid on this one, grabbing treasure is great but I'd rather do it with a figure that has a reasonable chance of being good after.  The Halfling Sneak just rarely seems to do anything else of value, whereas the archers have such ridiculous range that they're less likely to die and don't have to slog all the way back from whatever treasure they grabbed to do their thing.
As I just tweeted, Little birdie tells me (and allows me to share) that PAX Prime will feature a Dungeon Command tournament Sunday Sep 2 at 11AM. $20 to play, but get 1 box (so you make out like a bandit, win or lose)!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

The horrible sting of working the booth at PAX strikes again! Frown
I wanted to ask about the feary fire, i got 2 of them and one is a lvl 1 and the other is a lvl 2...

the only other diffrence is the gold symbol on the lvl 1.

It's the only order with a lvl variant i have

is that normal?
I wanted to ask about the feary fire, i got 2 of them and one is a lvl 1 and the other is a lvl 2...

the only other diffrence is the gold symbol on the lvl 1.

It's the only order with a lvl variant i have

is that normal?

Alas, yes, it is. The gold/silver symbol are for splitting the decks into two when playing with a single faction box. The Level 1 is a misprint - both should be Level 2.

See the FAQ

Cheers,
Merric

Merric Blackman

Your really play the Halfling Sneak in your warband?

Nope. I've never actually drawn him. I know he's there because the card is, but he's never come up, so I've never had the moment of "this guy is horrible, let's get rid of him!"

I made up the warband on the Game Day from my two Cormyr sets. (Sarah then made up a Drow warband from my two Lolth sets plus the remaining cards from the Cormyr sets). At present, those two warbands have only faced each other - most of the potential players have said, "this game is great! When do the goblins come out?"

So, I'm waiting to play a warband made by someone else (and with their figures). 

Cheers,
Merric 

Merric Blackman