Tiefling wizard

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently died in a campaign and the DM is having me return with a new character soon, but he has a few limitations on what I could chose. Was hoping genasi wizard but he didn't feel a genasi would fit his campaign so I chose to go as a tiefling wizard instead. See how that works out.

Now with a tiefling wizard the first thing I wanted to build was a pyromancer kind of flavor wizard with fire, fire FIRE. ofcourse ;)

But looking the tiefling and the wizard over I see a lot of possibilities in other directions. Especially Fear seems to have quite a bit of power and feat choices.

So now I'm a tad in a predicament as I can't seem to be able to chose so thought it might be a good idea to ask here.

What makes the best optimized tiefling wizard?
Optimized for what? If you want to be the best controller you can be, you're going to ignore a lot of fire powers, a lot of fear powers, and get the best control powers. If you want part time striker duty, then, you're going to pick up some fire powers, admix fire into an at-will, and probably go with a fiery PP. But then the question would be, why not just play a warlock... The wizard fear powers didn't really look all that great to me, but I haven't looked at them in a while.
Charm / Dominatation is an easy path to take for Tiefling wizards, especially if you're starting in Paragon or Epic.

Wizards get a lot of charm powers that you can take advantage of with Glasya's Charming Words.  Combine with a big party friendly burst/blast like Beguiling Strands, and an expanded crit range, and you can be dominating enough creatures to make a DM cry.

Any stun power can be converted to a Domination in Epic with Royal Command of Asmodeus.

Enchanter Mage is a good set up for Tieflings.  You could grab Pyromancy as your secondary school if you want to keep the focus on fire too.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I'll be playing in a party with only three other characters. A shaman, a fighter and a sorcerer.

So it will be interesting to see how long I'll be able to stay alive. xD
If you play a heavy controller, the question is more like how long will your DM take to commit suicide. NOTHING ruins team monsters' day as fast and as deeply as a good wizard.
well if you decide to play an enchanter mage feel free to search for "oracle gps" in the search box for this forum.  you should find a build i posted that is quite good.  im at work now so i cant link directly sorry.  if you want to play a pyromancer i recommend looking up "prince of hell", that should pull up a build post that focuses on fire and summoning powers
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

heh thanks for linking the build MMPech.

But to add a little to my other post, Tieflings offer a very good amount of both charm keyword support and fire.  It's kinda of ridiculous in fact, they also have a feat for initiative to make it key off charisma instead which for a charm focused build is a good idea anyway.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)