Old Favourites

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious to know what people's favourite cards are. I'm after cards with unique and quirky abilities that make for unique and quirky decks. Being relatively new to the game (I started playing about three or so years ago) I'm particularly interested in older cards that I may not have stumbled across before. Which cards do you think deserve more popularity? Are there any little-known gems to which you think peoples' attentions ought to be drawn?

I'm convinced that there is a plentitude of unsung treasures out there - this is a thread for them.
Doesn't get better than Shahrazad or Balance
Tempest Efreet, Chaos Orb, Justice, Stench of Evil, Apocalypse Chime and Mind Bomb are some of my favorites.

She just cost too much by today's standard, but a forgotten gem would be Autumn Willow, it would probably have hexproof today but it was a pretty decent card back then. I made a lot of jealous when I got it.  lol
My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
I remember back when I had just started my favorite card was my Caldera Kavu because it was so gosh darn flexible (and it's a freakin' Kavu man!).  I am a fan of all things Kavu and my favorite art for one being Vicious Kavu.

Also, my Keldon Mantle used to cause many people grief. =D

Spiritmonger is da nutz.

Many laughs were had about Vizzerdrix's flavor text.

My favorite card these days...is probably Cloudstone Curio for all the nuttiness it causes.  Sorry it's not older, but there you have it.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Necropotence was fun back in the day. Good old Shivan Dragon has saved my life more than a few times. Other fun cards that come to mind are Tinker, Fires of Yavimaya, Bouncing Beebles, Wheel of Fortune, and Planar Gate

...damn. Now I have to go back through my boxes again.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules and Formats

Tips & Tricks

Astarael7 wrote:
As for the weird implications you raised, we ignore them by sticking our fingers in our ears, squeezing our eyes shut, and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of our lungs.
its not interesting or quirky, but one of the first cards I fell in love with was Craw Wurm simply because it was a HUGE creature back in '95.

Then I saw force of nature for the first time and my jaw dropped. Both of these cards drip with the flavor of green and evoke a lot of positive emotion for me.

Some of my favorite golden oldies are:

Rogue Elephant -> Old School mono green stompy. Paired with Rancor on T2 things get DUMB.
Kird Ape
Recycle
Spiny Starfish
Intruder Alarm
Duplicity
Enduring Renewal

I could go on forever. So many good memories of silly cards.
Someone killed me with an Ornithopter today, and I enjoyed it immensely. Laughing

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules and Formats

Tips & Tricks

Astarael7 wrote:
As for the weird implications you raised, we ignore them by sticking our fingers in our ears, squeezing our eyes shut, and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of our lungs.
Old school rebel decks with Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero are fun.
Kyren Negotiations is another masques card worth mentioning.
Charisma is another card, paired with Tims, and sigil of sleep equals fun times.
Future sight has always interested me, though I never got any of them...ever...
Telepathy is a highly underrated card, and more fun than you think.
The keeper cycle is fun. A friend of mine has a multiplayer apprentice/master deck that reminds me of these.

I'm not going to lie, if you want to know about older cards, then I suggest you look at entire sets. After finding several gems that I never knew existed, I just checked the entire set and found even more "new" cards. Mercadian Masques is one of those sets that everybody knocks, but you'll be surprised at the number of decent cards hiding behind all of that crap.

I'm more of a vorthos than anything, so I find things like getting Tolsimir Wolfblood out more fun than actually winning. I like to put little stories with each of my decks to make them more enjoyable. I know its weird, but it makes MtG more immersive. That and I predominantly play multiplayer, so take my list with all that in mind.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Good contributions so far - I particularly love Balance, Future Sight and Telepathy. I'd like to add Goblin Chirurgeon to the list. Awesome in any kamikaze goblin deck!

Anybody got anymore?
Really Donate shenanigans are hilarious with stuff like Illusions of Grandeur and Boomerang etc.

Celestial Dawn, Magical Hack and Donate=

"All of your permanents are white, all colored mana symbols are W, all of your lands are Magically Hacked to Swamps"

Really Donate shenanigans are hilarious with stuff like Illusions of Grandeur and Boomerang etc.

Celestial Dawn, Magical Hack and Donate=

"All of your permanents are white, all colored mana symbols are W, all of your lands are Magically Hacked to Swamps"

The other 6 people in my gaming group are going to find you and make you pay for giving me this idea Money Mouth

DCI Judge Level 1

Sign In to post comments