How to with ripose strike?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm think of a character built around the rogue ripose strike.
But I don't know a good way to start. A rogue in general is to squishy. So to have anything else I would have to start with a 1/2 elf. Warrior has best feats and powers for this but I think it might be to much of a stat drain. Could go monk and MC warrior but that negated a lot of monk abilitys.
Any thoughts?
Consider a hybrid defender.  It's a rogue attack so it will still get sneak attack twice while you can grab toughness and a reason for them to attack you from your second class.

Half-elf also works, and can nicely change the attack stat openig up alot of choices, but you will loose sneak attack on  it that way.

Vigilante Justice Style does alot to help it trigger.  Combine it with stealth (wich gives you massive defenses), and good mobility (pixies are great for this though lack Str), and you can stab alot.  Revenant can also do this, as they can add massive toughness to any class.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Another take would be to aim for Daring Blade as Paragon Path, since it would convert all martial melee powers to key off CHA, which could help you from being MAD.
Although I would not recommend it, unless you start at level 11+

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

You could also consider Rogue|Cleric or Rogue/MC Cleric and take Tactical Warpriest. Battle Cleric's Lore fixes the durability issue, and Tactical Warpriest applies a powerful mark that guarentees you'll get an extra attack one way or another.
Halfling, Gnome, and Razorclaw all have Dex as a primary stat and racial feats that will increase durability. Halfling and gnome have better feat support for their racials.
Halfling, Gnome, and Razorclaw all have Dex as a primary stat and racial feats that will increase durability. Halfling and gnome have better feat support for their racials.

If you are making a riposter, half orc brutal scoundrel is the way to go.  I use a dagger, to make sure I hit on 6 or so with most monsters.  Frost dagger + silvery glow + daggermaster + frostcheese = win.  Easy DPR.  Mindless CA.  Then you can focus on your RP.

[sblock]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Reginald Shivington III, level 9
Half-Orc, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Rogue Tactics Option: Brutal Scoundrel
Rogue Option: Scoundrel Weapon Talent
Associate: Trained Blink Dog
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 11, WIS 8, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 8, CHA 13

AC: 24 Fort: 21 Ref: 23 Will: 17
HP: 72 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Athletics +14, Bluff +10, Dungeoneering +8, Stealth +16, Thievery +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Diplomacy +5, Endurance +6, Heal +3, History +4, Insight +3, Intimidate +7, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +4, Streetwise +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
Rogue Attack 1: Riposte Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: King's Castle
Rogue Attack 1: Press the Advantage
Rogue Utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Rogue Attack 3: Low Slash
Rogue Attack 5: Bloodbath
Acrobatics Utility 6: Timely Dodge
Rogue Attack 7: Snap Shot
Rogue Attack 9: Knockout

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Cunning Stalker
Level 4: Vigilante Justice Style
Level 6: Backstabber
Level 8: Silvery Glow

ITEMS
Frost Dagger +2 x1
Blending Leather Armor +2 x1
Amulet of Physical Resolve +2 x1
Shielding Blade Dagger +1 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Coif of Mindiron (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

Considering dropping snap shot for now, and replacing with blade vault (picking up swift footwork)... that puts the damage on it at 1d4+2d8+34 if memeroy serves.

I also play a half orc brutal scoundrel at level one with Riposte Strike.  We're at first level (slow advancement) and so far I am happy with it.  Auspicious Birth really helps out a level 1 rogue in the hit point department, and this character does crazy damage with everything including attacks of opportunity.

I do have the admit that the DM has never actually triggered the Riposte Strike attack from me; it could be argued that this is, or is not, a success  Really, I'm just happy if they attack somebody else.

I haven't decided if I am going to get into the rapier or not when we make 2nd level.
I'de suggest Hybrid rougue/fighter. Though it will be diffiult for you to maintain mark presence, it should still be viable. maintaining CA will be dificult, however.
Even though i got some pushback on this idea a couple of weeks ago, I still say Hybrid Warden|Rogue for something like this.  Get your punishment in any way you can.
For the rogue/fighter, try adding tactical warpriest.  At 16 you can mark with any at will and the mark enforcement is an OA.  And because it is a mark, you still get fighter enforcement as well.
I also play a half orc brutal scoundrel at level one with Riposte Strike.  We're at first level (slow advancement) and so far I am happy with it.  Auspicious Birth really helps out a level 1 rogue in the hit point department, and this character does crazy damage with everything including attacks of opportunity.

I do have the admit that the DM has never actually triggered the Riposte Strike attack from me; it could be argued that this is, or is not, a success  Really, I'm just happy if they attack somebody else.

I haven't decided if I am going to get into the rapier or not when we make 2nd level.

Don't take rapier, instead take vigilante justice style.  Makes riposte strike even more annoying for dms but it does require you to be adjacent to the tank.
Rogues aren't squishy unless you build them that way.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

Don't take rapier, instead take vigilante justice style.  Makes riposte strike even more annoying for dms but it does require you to be adjacent to the tank.

^this. 
Do both, get Rapier via background.
For the rogue/fighter, try adding tactical warpriest.  At 16 you can mark with any at will and the mark enforcement is an OA.  And because it is a mark, you still get fighter enforcement as well.

Better: take the Blade Bravo paragon path.  At level 11, you can mark any target that you hit with a melee attack with CA.  It doesn't give you any better mark punishment, but you are already a Fighter and using Riposte Strike ... so, it's all good. 
Not really better IMHO - With the Warpriest - you get to mark when you use riposte strike - then if they break the mark, you get to use both an opportunity attack and an immediate action attack for punishment.  At epic level you can take the fighter feat to get an extra IA for punishments, and then use the 'normal' IA combined with vigilant justice style to hit them a 3rd time.  Like you really need that much dis-incentive to disobey your mark though :P
Warpriest+Heavy Blade+HBO+Riposte Strike+Vigilante Justice:
1) They hit you = you hit them back with the other part of riposte strike
2) They hit you + someone besides you = they just violated the warpriest mark, you hit with the second part of riposte strike, then get an OA which can be riposte strike again or another at will such as sly flourish
3) They hit someone besides you but adjacent to you = see #2

You would lose 1 die of sneak attack but you would get to use HBO which means any at will for your mark enforcement.
I know it seems like an odd choice but the staff is a pretty great weapon for this.
 Why? The combination of staff expertise, vigilante justice style & sneaky staff feats.
  Use riposte strike with a reach weapon & always apply sneak attack to weapon attacks. So sit behind your fighter and riposte anyone who attacks him.

What I dont understand is why you'd want to be a hybrid defender here? At all? Surely the attraction of the power is having a high punishment defender marking the opponent you use riposte strike against?

When an opponenet attacks you he eats a riposte and a punishment, if he attacks the defender he takes your riposte,
 So whoever the enemy attacks there hopefully always eating taking of turn damage.

Thereby, riposte strike both ups your DPR and your survivability by granting out of turn attacks whilst making attacking you even less appealing.

Brutal Half Orc Rogue & Str/Wis dwarf fighter is a horrible heroic tier tag team.

Brutal Half Orc Rogue & Str/Wis dwarf fighter is a horrible heroic tier tag team.

If you are the DM
There is a feat, I don't remember whether it is heroic or paragon, for martial characters that if you miss the target with a staff, that target grants CA until the end of the next turn.

But you would have to ensure that you always have CA for it to be completely effective, not that you can't do it easily with say, fey beast tamer.
There is a feat, I don't remember whether it is heroic or paragon, for martial characters that if you miss the target with a staff, that target grants CA until the end of the next turn.

But you would have to ensure that you always have CA for it to be completely effective, not that you can't do it easily with say, fey beast tamer.

or frostcheese!

Stay next your defender (or behind if using Spked Chain or Staff Expertise) and spam Clever Strike.
Well dm doesn't allow hybrid or dragon mags. So start rogue and mc cleric? Only lvl 1 with 1 tank everyone else is ranged
Isn't ripose strike light weapon only?
Isn't ripose strike light weapon only?

Spiked Chain MC allows it to function as a flail OR a light blade.

Sneaky Staff feat essentailly gives a staff the "light blade" keyword for attacks and sneak attacks. Staff Expertise give you reach.

If you want to up your defense, you can MC Cleric and then grab a feat to get heacy armor...but then you'll be wasting your dex, and I'll cry some. 
Try this build for less squishiness:
Bugbear Brutal Scoundrel Rogue MC Swordmage (put your left-over 3 points into INT to bring it to 13). This should give you +3 to AC for an entire encounter.

As a bugbear, you should take Versatile Duelist so you can get a Large Broadsword for 1d12 damage. (Going from 1d6 to 1d12 should shorten the battle considerably.)

Then pick-up Arcane Familiar feat and grab the canine which gives 1 resistance to both melee and ranged attacks.  

Pick-up Vigilante Justice Style to deter the baddies from attacking your dog, or anybody else near you.
Well dm doesn't allow hybrid or dragon mags. So start rogue and mc cleric? Only lvl 1 with 1 tank everyone else is ranged

Why would you MC Cleric? Boosting a dump stat for a daily heal probably isn't a good idea when Rogues generally get better mileage out of Charisma for WILL.