Green/White Infect Pump

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Really want to make Green/White infect work, vintage legal. This is for one on one matches. Pretty sure everything speaks for itself. Emerge Unscathed isn't really pump, but it does create unblockables so I put it under pump, but it's more of a verstile spell. I'm on a budget so nothing too expensive in terms of recommendations. Am I on the right track? Other spells I am considering include Swords to Plowshares (but I don't think I need more removal, do I?), Giant Growth, Titanic GrowthVines of Vastwood,  Unnatural PredationSpellskite, and Oblivion Ring.

Creatures (16)
4x Glistener Elf
4x Ichorclaw Myr
4x Necropede

Pump (16)
4x Rancor

4x Invigorate
4x Emerge Unscathed
2x Might of Old Krosa
2x Mutagenic Growth

Removal (8)
4x Condemn
4x Oust

Land (24)

8x Forest
8x Plains
4x Sunpetal Grove 
4x Inkmoth Nexus

I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
No love for Lost Leonin?

DCI Judge Level 1

You need significantly more creatures than what you currently have (says 16, but there are only 12.) You need maybe somewhere around 24 to 32 creatures...they are the best form of removal.

You also need more permanent forms of pump, like quest for the gemblades, and auras.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I never was a fan of Lost Leonin to be honest. There are 12 creatures, but the Inkmoth Nexus are also creatures. Perhaps that's why I wrote 16 by mistake. I never knew about Quest for the Gemblades, that could certainly be an addition, what else? What should I cut?
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
No Pendelhaven? It's alright for milking more damage out.
Here are the alterations I would make:

- 2 Plains
- 2 Forest
+ 4 WindSwept Heath

Secures the Lands you need for SunPetal Grove and Invigorate while deck thinning.

- 1 Forest
- 1 Plains
+ 2 PendelHaven

It's cute.

- 2 Might Of Old Krosa
+ 2 Mutagenic Growth

You want as much "free" pump as possible.

- 4 Oust
+ 4 Lost Leonin

I agree with the other posters that you need more creatures. Maybe 1 or 2 Shriek Raptor could be good too.

- 4 Emerge UnScathed
+ 4 Glorious Anthem 

I agree with the other posters that you need more permanent pump.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Here are the alterations I would make:

- 2 Plains
- 2 Forest
+ 4 WindSwept Heath

Secures the Lands you need for SunPetal Grove and Invigorate while deck thinning.

- 1 Forest
- 1 Plains
+ 2 PendelHaven

It's cute.

- 2 Might Of Old Krosa
+ 2 Mutagenic Growth

You want as much "free" pump as possible.

- 4 Oust
+ 4 Lost Leonin

I agree with the other posters that you need more creatures. Maybe 1 or 2 Shriek Raptor could be good too.

- 4 Emerge UnScathed
+ 4 Glorious Anthem 

I agree with the other posters that you need more permanent pump.

Yeah, I want some more permananent pump, but not too much, I do want this deck to be fast, with a win in less than 4 turns if possible. Here's something I would like to do with the deck that  occured when I was testing the deck with a simulator. 

Roll for order. I win the roll, I go first.

I draw Glistener Elf, Rancor, Ichorclaw Myr, Might Of Old Krosa, Invigorate, a Forest and a Sunpetal Grove. No removal, but certainly a playable hand.

Turn one I play a Forest and Glistener Elf and then pass the turn.

My opponent plains a Plains and plays Mother of Runes and then passes the turn.

I draw another Glistener Elf but decide not to play it. I play the Sunpetal Grove, enchant the elf on the field with Rancor, play Might Of Old Krosa, play Invigorate, attack, and win the game.

Yes, it was a good hand, but not an amazing or unlikely hand with the initial deck I posted. Yes the elf could have gotten removed or bounced back on turn one. Yes I went first but that happens all the time, but nonetheless, it's still cool stuff.

So I don't want to add too many more creatures because I don't need many to win. However Glorious Anthem would be a nice addition and I probably should add more Mutagenic Growth. PendelHaven is genius and I will most likely add a couple.

Please keep the feedback coming, it's very helpful guys. 
Anything else guys, I'm going to buy the cards tomorrow.
If you are looking to make your deck faster then I would think about dropping white it only slows you down. I will list my infect deck but not to try to make you change your deck but maybe give you some ideas. The deck usually wins by turn 4-5 but I have had god hand before and won on turn 2. Turn one Glistener Elf , turn two attack Titanic Growth and 3 Mutagenic Growth for a total of 11 infect turn two.

LANDS

18 Forest
  3 Inkmoth Nexus
  1 Pendelhaven

CREATURES

4 Corpse Cur
  3 Glistener Elf
  3 Ichorclaw Myr
  4 Necropede
  4 Plague Myr

ARTIFACTS

2 Cranial Plating
  2 Livewire Lash
  2 Mortarpod

SPELLS

3 Mutagenic Growth
  3 Rancor
  3 Titanic Growth
  3 Vines of Vastwood
  2 Wild Defiance

SIDEBOARD

3 Phyrexian Metamorph
  2 Skeleton Shard

The deck is set up for modern tourneys. The metamorphs are for Melira, Sylvok Outcast and the shards are for mass board wipe. I looked at all of the colors for the best infect creature and foud that artifacts had the better infect creatures. Then I looked into which color would best support my deck. I found that green has the best support it offers nothing but beef and trample which I think is the best way to deliver infect. You get to kill their creature and still give them infect counters.

For pump you cannot be the speed of red/green. You can easily turn two them with them having no chance to block using rancor and asault strobe.

4 glistener elf

4 rancor
4 assault strobe ( a better pump, your creature lives through blocks)

4 invigorate
4 mutagenic growth

4 teetering peaks a land pump, there is one in green as well though it is +1/+1.

Turn one glistener into a turn two rancor and assault strobe with a backup of either mutagenic or invigorate is a good game scenaario.

For a vintage deck you are just to slow running white. Note that pump infect will not win in vintage anyway though. (though if you run 4 guttural response and vexing shusher as well you can really annoy most of the people). Pump infect is very vulnerable to removal and most of the meta will be running 8-16 creature removal and you only have one wad to shoot. (they will always have the answer to the first creature).

This is the shell you are likely to see other people playing. It is the sideboarding and choosing the other 12 cards that you should be worried about. Note that infect can make very good use of a transformative sideboard if you work at it.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I'd argue that Blue is the better compliment to Green Infect (at least from a Vintage/Legacy standpoint), as it gets unblockable dudes and ways of making other dudes unblockable:

Blighted Agent
Distortion Strike
Shadow Rift

It also allows for counters like Daze, Misdirection and Force of Will.
Unblockable does not do squat against removal. The main problem with pumper infect is removal, several cards depend on one that is easy to get rid of. Trample is every bit as good as unblockable and repeatable as well.

You will be facing heavy blue who will have things like curfew and force of will of their own aside from the major players of dismember and swords to plowshares.

If you want counterspells with pumper infect yoiu just use pact of negation . You only need one hit to kill and pact is actually a better choice then force of will is for this purpose. you certainly do not need to run blue to run pact.

Blue infect can work but not as a pumper variant. (Just like white can make a very good control infect deck but is lousy at pumper)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
The main problem with pumper infect is removal

Hence why you play Blue. There's at least 4 free counters I can think of right now, and they'll stop all the removal they opponent can throw at you.
I use vines of vastwood for anti removal, and if you pay the kicker you get a +4+4. Which I think is way better than any counter. And as for pact of negation is a horrible counter it isn't good until turn five. With my infect you are dead by turn four.
And as for pact of negation is a horrible counter it isn't good until turn five

The Infect player plays Pact. He doesn't care about the upkeep loss, as the opponent will be dead. Pact exists to push through the win.

Pacts are generally played on the same turn you intend on winning, its rare to play them otherwise.
When you put it like that then yes I would run it, but otherwize it is a dead card. But that also means you don't need to main board blue if you don't plan on paying the after cost.
You don't run it as the ONLY protection spell. Speedy Infect's enough of a glass cannon already. It's also not dead if it helps you win, something which can happen turn 2-3 with fairly good consistancy. It's probably the least-played of the free counters, mind you.

If you want w/g infect just run it as weenie or control. One major advantage in white is you can give them life with swords all day long

In white/green I would run something like this,

4 glistener elf
4 blight mamba
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 necropede
4 carrion call

4 rancor
4 swords to plowshares
4 oust
4 remember the fallen
2 infiltration lens

4 Temple Garden
4 Razorverge Thicket
4 Wooded Bastion
4 inkmoth nexus
2 pendelhaven
2 Sejiri Steppe
2 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Thanks for all the feedback, if it helps, this is really casual play, so it's not really a vintage deck, it's just the format my playgroup decided to play, but we are really casual, and would never spend more than 5 bucks on a card for the most part. Sejiri Steppe is cool, Vines of Vastwood is cool, but I do like the pump I have now. I do want to keep it White/Green, so as cool as some of this red and blue stuff is, I'm not considering it. The anti counter green stuff is neat though because sometimes I do play against blue control.
Sign In to post comments