WB Exalted

83 posts / 0 new
Last post
Been mulling over this list for awhile, fine-tuning where I see weaknesses. Still have some questions about it, but I'll post the list first.

Lands: 22
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Evolving Wilds
10 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Cathedral of War (Only really useful mid/late in game)

Creatures: 22
4 Knight of Infamy
4 Knight of Glory
3 Sublime Archangel
3 Silverblade Paladin
3 Aven Squire
3 War Falcon
2 Serra Avenger

Spells: 13
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Sword of Body and Mind
4 Lingering Souls
3 Tragic Slip
2 Go for the Throat
2 Oblivion Ring

Planeswalker: 3
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

SB:
3 Mirran Crusader
3 Vile Rebirth
2 Duress
3 Phyrexian Crusader
Disciple of Bolas
2 Inkmoth Nexus

The SB obviously isn't done, that as been what I am mainly been toying with. My original question I have is if there is a spot in this deck for Disciple of Bolas. It is a 4-drop, which I already have 6 of, so that is conflicting a little, but his ability seems like it would be nice especially since Exalted pumps til end of turn, so post-combat I play him, sac the attacker, gain life, draw lots of cards. Is it just me, or does that sound too good to just ignore? As it stands I have no card draw, but I'm not sure how necessary that really may be for something like this. The Swords are there because in a previous thread it was brought to question that there needs to be some added evasion against Blue and Green decks since Fog Bank is back and really messes up this whole strategy if it sticks around. The curve of the deck is awesome, and I've already deciphered a lot of the reasoning for most of the SB options, but I am always open to more suggestions and insight.
No Love for Exalted?
I felt that lingering souls is slowing the deck down even though it is a great card to run along side with sublime angel... maybe running duty bound dead instead??? 

How are you doing with your manabase?? 

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Page 3 on the forums. Already tweeking it.
I felt that lingering souls is slowing the deck down even though it is a great card to run along side with sublime angel... maybe running duty bound dead instead??? 

How are you doing with your manabase?? 

It doesn't seem to be slowing the deck down. I did think about Duty Bound Dead, but I really just don't like it that much. Sure it is a 0/2 Ex for 1, but then I would have to add more Black to my mana distibution, which would throw off the better white cards that compose the deck, as some of them are WW. I splashed Black for removal, Sorin, and FB of Souls, otherwise it is predominantly white. If I were to take out Lingering Souls, I would replace it with Midnight Haunting, which is essentially the same card, but faster and no FB. The mana has been alright thus far, I may change it up. Esspecially Post-Rotation I will need to make some changes. I've only really play tested it against other decks I have (which arent too great), but it seems solid. I am going to take it to FNM this week and test it out against some of those players and see where I get. I may also knock the Sorin's down to 2, and add Disciple of Bolas as a 1-of.
I actaully like Lingering souls in here. it gives you blockers for all of the flying thingys in the format and if you need it, a creature with evasion. Other than that i like the deck. Ive been considering making one myself.

Have you been able to test the deck out against other decks? 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
I'm thinking -3 war falcon and make Sublime, Silver-blade a 4 of, and drop inkmoth and a plains for 4 duty-bound dead. Best case scenario on turn three you swing a knight for 4 dub strike, then a 8 dub strike on turn 4 when sublime drops. Dropping the bird help increase the chances

1) Duty-bound
2) Knight of XX
3) Silver-blade bond to knight, swing 4 dub strike
4) Drop sublime and swing the knight against for 8 dub strike

And if monetarily possible, drop SoBaM for SoFaF, it's just so much nicer.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

i disagree about duty bound dead. Yes, it is another exalted trigger, but there should be no problems with getting war falcon to attack on turn 2, unless you miss your 2 drop. Swinging for 3 in the air on turn 2 is pretty good and you still can get double strike on turn 3.

I do think you would benefit from having a 4th Silverblade. maybe drop 1 Sorin for it. 
If you drop the War Falcon though, you lose almost all evasion, outside of played against a White or Black deck, where the knights are evasive. Ideally this is what the deck is supposed to do, with War Falcon instead of Duty Bound Dead:

T1: Plains, War Falcon
T2: Land, Knight XX, swing 3 flying (As opposed to swinging 2 on the ground with DBD)
T3: Plains, Paladin (bonded to Falcon), swing 3 DS (6) flying (As opposed to Bond to knight, swing 4 DS (8) on ground)
T4: Land, Angel, swing 7 DS (14) flying (Which is lethal). (As opposed to swing knight for 8 DS (16) on ground).

Both scenerios win on T4, but with DBD instead of War Falcon, you can be easily chump blocked by anything. with falcon they at least need a flyer rather than a mana dork like Llanowar Elves. I mean I'm not completely rejecting the idea of using DBD, but I just don't see enough justification to have him instead of War Falcon (whos only drawback won't matter, since the majority of my creatures are knights/soldiers anyway.

I would love to have SoFaF, but I don't own any, and with it rotating I feel no need to go and buy some when I am just going to replace those with other cards upon rotation. If I face a Black or Green deck I am most likely going to be Sb-ing in Mirran Crusader and watching them cry and he swings through for massive damage quickly. Also SoBaM is there because of the presence of Delver in my meta, and that will really hamper that deck messing me up, ideally. Also Fog Bank would just own this entire deck without this sword, unless I use a kill spell on it.

EDIT: I agree on the Sorin comment, I'm going to have to see how he does. 2 of may be more than enough. As I test the deck out at FNM and stuff against top tier decks I'll try and post results and see what changes need to be made.
Fair enough, but as in regaurds to Sorin, I think maybe 3 is almost pushing it. He's nice but if you draw doubles of him it could end weird. I suggest maybe considerring 1 or 2 Ajani 3.0. He is really nice for those games that you don't draw silverblade, a quick evasion+dub strike after your opponent taps out his fliers for offense is a great change-up. And if they don't have spot removal for whoever you give wings, they're in for serious trouble. Also, his ultimate mixes really well with sublime Archangel. If they don't have a board wipe and you do that after dropping her... GG

Edit: Also, the Ring of Kalonia is a really nice way to avoid chump blocks. It's a 2 drop with E1, won't get the counter bonus but trample is enough incentive. It's a nice way to tell Fog bank he's useless. 

I do like the suggestion of Ajani 3.0 and would love to add him since he fits the whole stratgey of the deck, with each of his abilities. If I happen to be able to come across him I will certainly try and pick him up, especially since I did get some good trade bait in the box I got the other day. Post-rotation I may add the trample ring, just so I can still get through. For now I think that swords ar ethe best answer to both red and blue/green.

EDIT: Thoughts on Ajani 3.0...should it be a 2-2 split with him and Sorin? or a 2-1 split one way or the other? I'm also thinking of either going down to 22 lands, or cutting Inkmoth's for basics, or Evolving Wilds...
What are your guys' thoughts on splashing U for Phantasmal Image? Is it necessary, or would it just be overkill and possibly cause more problems than benefits (mana wise)?
Image could be good, however i think youd have some fun if you splashed Green for Rancor
Image could be good, however i think youd have some fun if you splashed Green for Rancor

Hmm, very interesting....ill look into that. Rancor would solve a lot of potential problems.
If you're going to splash, splash green for rancor and sigarda. It gives you two cards that are very hard to answer.

I attempted to try to splash green along with the B/W, but the mana base seems very clunky, with very little actual basic lands. Instead I made a G/W "Exalted" list, which might be good. Anyway, this is what I came up with....Let me know if you think that it is more competitive, or more janky than the B/W version if you could. Thank you.

Lands:
Cathedral of War
2 Evolving Wilds
4 Sunpetal Grove
10-11 Plains
3-4 Forest

Creatures:
3 War Falcon
4 Knight of Glory
4 Aven Squire
2 Serra Avenger
3 Silverblade Paladin
3 Sublime Archangel
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons

Spells:
3 Rancor
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Midnight Haunting
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Sword of Body and Mind
2 Fungal Sprouting

I dont think its bad, but i do like the WB Exalted list better. You have more Exalted triggers and it seems easier to get damage in. Also, War Falcons chances of attacking turn 2 are better in WB.
I agree. Each list has its pros/cons. Not a whole lot of Exalted stuff in the meta yet. If there were some G Exalted things, then it would be a no-brainer. Perhaps if RtR fills that need, ill switch it over to something like that. Black also gives me removal, which is nice. and also some control with Duress in the SB against control, which can be innvaluable.
Yeah i like black in Exalted because it offers a lot aside from exalted triggers. You get some good removal, utility and even card draw in Sign in Blood. Ive been experimenting with it in my UB Delver deck and i like it.  Hopefully RtR gives WB a new Dual to use to make the mana even more efficient.
WB seems a little more exalted, while the wg seems more Sublime Archangel. I would suggest splashing 4 rancors and 2 sigardas in your original list. Throw in 2 WG and 2 BG lands, 2 wilds, and one or two forests. That leaves you with 5 direct sources and 2 fetch cards. A total of 8 ways of getting the single green mana you would need. The overall would look something like

4x Isolated Chapel
2x Woodland Cemetery
2x Sunpetal Grove
5x Plains
5x Swamp
2x Evolving wilds
2x Forest 

I'm a little sad that Cathedral doesn't make the cut, but it is understandable. Really wish it didnt come into play tapped, but if it has to go it must. I also think that 4 Rancor is a bit much, since I would only need to see 1 in the course of a game since it continually comes back if the creature dies, so I would say 3 is the most I would put in, along with 2 Sigarda because that thing is amazing for sure. I'm not sure what I would take out overall though. The Swords would go for Sigardas, and Rancors could go in for a Slip and 2 O-rings or 2 GftT? That mana base is also a little bit off with too much Black splash. It should be noted that the deck is vast majority white, so the mana base needs to reflect that, but that can be tweaked, so no big deal. I would say something like:

4 Isolated Chapel
2 Woodland Cemetary
2 Sunpetal Grove
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Swamp
1 Forest
8 Plains
Since the deck is majority White, 3 Sunpetal Grove and 1 Woodland Cemetery would be good if not better in my opinion.
Personally I would keep the swords and drop Serra Avenger. She's so taunting in your opening hand, and you've already got 3 other 2 drops. I'd say drop those for Sigarda, and drop a slip and go for the throat for the Rancors. Also maybe go 7:4 on plains:swamp just because where you don't need a green source, you definitely need black sources.

I know what you mean about Avenger She is essentially a 4 drop. But a 3/3 vigilance is still pretty good, despite having to wait. The whole reasn for the swords was for a way to get around Fog Bank and other pesky creatures, since I didnt have trample. Rancor solves that issue, so I feel less of a need for swords, especially since they are 3 to play and 2 to equip. Thats 2 turns, which actually slows down the deck unfortunately. Basically I want to keep churning out creatures, preferably exalted ones and keep swinging solo. I don't really see why the split of B/W should be 7:4 though. After removing a Slip and GftT's, I am down to 6 black spells, 7-8 depending on how many sorins I run (most likely 1 and then 2 ajanis). 3 swamps, plus 5-6 dual lands that produce Black, plus fetches seems more than enough, since nothing is BB. Just like with Green, there are 5 spells, so 5 lands and 2 fetches is good consdiering none is GG. However, there is lots of stuff that is WW, or at least the better stuff in the deck has it (Paladin, any of the Angels)...I'll have to see how it flows with the 3rd color. Usually when I have anything over 2 colors it becomes janky and unreliable, which is counterproductive obviously.
Could work. I personally just love the swords. F&F almost gives you a second untap phase which is AMAZING and **** is just nice to put distance between the lifetotals. Or even to catch up. I also just hate Avenger. It seems so awful to me. what happens when you draw two before turn four? You sit there looking kind of dumb with 1/4-1/2 of your hand being irrelevant. It's more a personal thing I guess.

Hahaha, great point about avengers. I would only play 2 Avengers, to avoid that kind of issue, so if I did somehow draw both between turns 1-3, sure I wouldn't be happy, but the deck has lots of other early drops you can still throw out there, or should be able to if you don't get a janky early game draw. Avenger is playing more of the role of a finisher in this deck, being the 2nd-most powerful card in the original build, pre-Sigarda. 

Swords are certainly amazing, unfortunately I only own 1 **** and 1 BaM, and with them rotating out I don't feel the urge to drop big bills on FaF. I would love to have them though, but it's a little late to put them on a wish list, haha.
Yeah, they're pricey. I got lucky enough to pull a FaF from a booster

Thats awesome. I'm usually pretty lucky pulling cards, just not really from Besieged, haha. Whiffed on a lot of those good cards. But M13 made up for it with 5 Planeswalkers in 1 box, 2 Sublimes, and a Thundermaw. So i guess my luck came back around, so I can't complain, lol. (Still woulda liked the set of swords though, I used to have the original ones from Darksteel, and those wre awesome).

I know this does not stay for long and also easily subjected to removal, but instead of splashing green, wouldn't spirit mantle be better??
Actually, it might be too easily removed
t isnt a bad suggestion, and actually would fit better in the colors. Rancor does have the added advantage of coming back to your hand from the battlefield, but I did notice that splashing green to go triple color greatly affected my ability to be able to have WW on turn 3, and enough Black to use removal and everything. I do want to replace the swords though, preferably giving trample, protection, or unblockable. The new Green ring, swords, and rancor are currently the only things I have thought of
A little late to the discussion and off topic as far as colors but what about green? i was thinking GW exalted for the time being in order to utilize birds for a turn two paladin, then turn 3 angel bonded to paladin. swing for 5 double strike then turn 4 hit for 7 double strike.

Granted birds will be going out soon enough so not sure what you guys think about it or if there's anything else even viable for green to run like that aside from strangleroot

At the prerelease I went heavy on exalted and always loved dropping turn 1 Duty-Bound Dead into turn 2 Dark Favor, followed up by Vampire Nighthawk.
A little late to the discussion and off topic as far as colors but what about green? i was thinking GW exalted for the time being in order to utilize birds for a turn two paladin, then turn 3 angel bonded to paladin. swing for 5 double strike then turn 4 hit for 7 double strike.

Granted birds will be going out soon enough so not sure what you guys think about it or if there's anything else even viable for green to run like that aside from strangleroot

Never really thought about BoP for ramping purposes. I do like that idea, except that with this idea you would need a hefty amount of green to justify have 4 BoP, because you would want them within the 1st 1-2 turns. After that they are very lackluster, unless they act as an Exalted trigger from Angel's ability. The best Exalted cards are white, with the exception of Knight of Infamy which is also good.

Going Green allows you to add Sigarda, Host of Herons who is a beast, and Rancor which is great for stopping chump blocking. However, in Green you are very limited with removal, the only ones really being Beast Within, which leaves them with a somewhat beefy creature, Prey Upon which would only really be useful with big creatures out, which exalted doesn't particularly do, at least until after the triggers have activated.

So basically the Green Core cards that you would be adding are BoP, Rancor, and Sigarda...possibly some of that removal I mention, but I feel that doesn't quite justify using Green above Black, which gives you more Exalted triggers, actual removal in Tragic Slip, DoomBlade, and Go for the Throat. You also wouldn't want to run Strangleroot in a W/G exalted build, because as I already mentioned, the core of the deck is White, so it would be difficult to have the GG needed for it on T2. Plus with B/W you also get a powerful planeswalker in Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, who pumps, pops out tokens, or eventually crushes you're opponents board presence. I certainly hope that some Green exalted stuff comes out, because then I will definitely be doing that.
At the prerelease I went heavy on exalted and always loved dropping turn 1 Duty-Bound Dead into turn 2 Dark Favor, followed up by Vampire Nighthawk.

In sealed or draft, Duty-bound is alright, but he is rarely an actual attacker. More of an exalted trigger plus a defender. You would be better served to play Duty-Bound, then wait til turn 3 to Nighthawk, and then use Dark Favor on that on turn 4 and swing, since you will be getting much more bang for your buck rather than wasting it on a Duty-Bound. Dark favor is also very good in sealed, but outside of that there are much better pump spells like Rancor. I don't know of any other Black pump spells off hand, but Rancor is the best one out there right now, since its cheap, gives +2 and Trample, and comes back to your hand if they kill the guy. Very hard to beat that.

Let's hope that there are some great green exalt cards, here's my current decklist right now

Creatures(22):

3 War Falcons
4 Aven Squire
4 Knight of Glory
4 Knight of Infamy
4 Silverblade Paladin
2 Sublime Angel
1 Thalia Guardian of Thraben

Instants(5)

3 Tragic Slip
2 Go for Throat

Enchantments(4)
2 Spirit Mantle
2 Oblivion Ring

Artifacts(3)
1 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of War and Peace

Plainswalkers(3)

1 Ajani Caller of the Pride
2 Sorin Lord of Innistrad

Lands (23)

3 Cathedral of War
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
5 Swamps

I haven't thought too much about side board yet but as there are only 2-3 main creature types, I might fit in Carven of Souls there. I also want to get my hands on my 3rd (or even 4th) Sublime Angel. Let me know what you thought about it. I did think about splashing green in, but that would slow the deck down... 

this is similar to the list im currently running. I got lucky enough to have 3 Sublimes, so I have those in there. I also like the Thalia add in, As that is a good 2 drop for this deck, which is mainly creatures anyway. I ma have to throw that in as at least a SB card option that can b swapped ou for my Serra Avengers that I'm currently running as my 4th turn option besides Sorin or Sublime if I don't happen to get either. Overall I think it is a solid list though, with potential for victories.

EDIT: I also don't know how necessary Cavern would be. Sure you could say Human/Knight but your mana-base seems good enough to be able to cast anything that you would need. If you end up having difficulty with your mana, you could always try adding in a couple Evolving Wilds

EDIT EDIT: I can't wait until WB Exalted, or W/x Exalted is an archetype. I keep seeming so many different threads about it, and I really just want to direct them to this thread since it has had so much attention already put towards it. Eventually it'll prob be moved to Tier 2, but only time will tell.
One thing that I found out about this deck is that it's very vulnerable to effects like DOJ or Bonfire of the Damned. I was thinking of whacking in faith's shield or faith's reward in as a sideboard.
Good point. Faith's Reward could be a good SB card, possibly a 2 of for that reason. This deck really needs to maintain board presence, which could mean that Duress finds a spot MD since that would mean they would have to topdeck a sweeper, rather than just hold it til its most opportune.

EDIT: Divine Deflection, could also make the SB, but that only prevents damage, not DoJ effects.
^^" Awesome!! I kind of had some ideas for SB now,... going to do testing tomorrow
I tested against different decks including R/U Control with Fetter geist, W/B Tokens, G/W/(and R I think) Birthing Pod. Personally, I found it very vulnerable, not only to sweepers like Terminus, DOJ, but also to removals like Pillar of Flame, Incinerate, Vapor Snags, Dismember, or even Devil's Play even though I have swords in!! Spirit mantle had prove to be unbelievably useful in getting through tokens and blockers while swords don't really do this job for me as well as spirit mantle. I probably end up with more spirit mantle in my main board and have swords as SB instead.