Magic speed.

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
One of my friends told me that magics overly powerful cards will go away forever, and that the speed of the game is going to slow down so cards don't domanate standard anymore is this true?
MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC!!!!!!!!
One of my friends told me that magics overly powerful cards will go away forever, and that the speed of the game is going to slow down so cards don't domanate standard anymore is this true?

Yes, Standard will soon be dominated by dice and miniatures, cards are on the way out.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Yes, Standard will soon be dominated by dice and miniatures, cards are on the way out.

Thanks, I guess
Well, cards in Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Beseiged, New Phyrexia, and Magic 2012 will all be rotating out in October, so if the "overpowered cards" you're referring to are in those sets, then, yes, they will be leaving Standard.

HOWEVER, we don't know what will be brought in with Return to Ravnica, so it's impossible to say what the speed of Standard will look like after rotation.

Also, I would not use the phrase, "will go away forever," as I'm sure many of the cards that are rotating out will someday be reprinted in future sets, thus putting them back in Standard again at that time.
You are Red/Blue!
Well wotc does have a speed in mind when they design for each format. For standard they aim for 6+ turns per game, although I think they would love to make it more like 8 turns. For Modern they aim for 5+. I don't think they care enough about legacy to set a specific game speed. Vintage is vintage so there is no point in them attempting to try and make the games last a certain amount of turns.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
No direct offence to the OP, but I just have this funny giggle I use whenever I hear someone say "This format is going to get slower!". No. No it's not. It's moving about as fast as it always does. Just because kill spells are more expensive doesn't mean the game is going to get slower. If anything, it just might speed up.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
The only way to remove a card from the game forever is AWOL. Otherwise it'll just leave for a little while.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

Thanks, I guess

No, Escef's just *puts sunglasses on* having pun at your expense.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

No direct offence to the OP, but I just have this funny giggle I use whenever I hear someone say "This format is going to get slower!". No. No it's not. It's moving about as fast as it always does. Just because kill spells are more expensive doesn't mean the game is going to get slower. If anything, it just might speed up.

"Slower" would be Rise of the Eldrazi limited, or, as I call it, BG 52 Pickup. (Or at least draft.) "Faster" would be Standard during the Urza Block, as in "Answers? What're those? We just flip a coin, and whoever goes first wins."

What I have noticed, though, is that first LD, then discard (Yeah, I know, they've never reprinted Hymn to Tourach, but my point remains.), then counters, and now removal, they're slowing down all my control options. Which means the format will be more aggressive.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I thought control has trouble with agro.  So its more likely as control goes down then midrange and combo goes up.

As far as game speed, the tokens strategy is really fast and probably the best one in ISD block.  So if anything the speed will increase with the format being mostly ISD Block.
It's more like control beats everything unless aggro gets a great hand. Then when you combine and aggro and control deck and get cawblade, delver, or faeries, you end up with the best deck in the format.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Yeah, thanks all of you for the info it makes more since now;)

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Please stop that.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Please stop that.

Don't say please. Just roll up a newspaper or magazine and give him a good solid whack on the back of the head. He'll learn... eventually... I hope...

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Please stop that.

Don't say please. Just roll up a newspaper or magazine and give him a good solid whack on the back of the head. He'll learn... eventually... I hope...

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Please stop that.

Keep makin' faces, you'll get some too!

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Please stop that.

Keep makin' faces, you'll get some too!

Man, if making faces was all I had to do to get some, I would've started practicing in the mirror years ago! :D
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Man, if making faces was all I had to do to get some, I would've started practicing in the mirror years ago! :D

Yup, all they are doing is making combo stronger when they slow down control. Combo already aggressively uses creatures most of the time. Even control when it is dominate has been using aggressive creatures to clock the other guy.

The next 3/2 flying creature for one mana had better not be in blue. Not real happy with the bears either.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
This thread.
I thought control has trouble with agro.  So its more likely as control goes down then midrange and combo goes up.

Combo is more aggressive than aggro. Combo wins on turn 2 or 3. Aggro usually wins around turn 4-6.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
He's not exactly a prophet. Magic has already been getting slower over the years. I mean, how long have they been printing Cancel, Shock and Abyssal Specter over their predecessors? I was actually floored when I found that they were printing Lightning Bolt again, I thought for sure that would never happen with the slower and more creature friendly game they are trying to push for.
He's not exactly a prophet. Magic has already been getting slower over the years. I mean, how long have they been printing Cancel, Shock and Abyssal Specter over their predecessors? I was actually floored when I found that they were printing Lightning Bolt again, I thought for sure that would never happen with the slower and more creature friendly game they are trying to push for.

Technically, a game with Cancel is faster than a game with Counterspell. More expensive removal means the threat lasts longer, and more expensive counters mean the threat is more likely to be successfully cast.

But when was the last non-FTV Channel printing?
139359831 wrote:
It's hard to say if removal has gotten slower or not. One the one hand black has gotten better removal than ever, terror outclassed by Doom Blade and then Go for the Throat[/C], and then [c]Dismember oh and then Tragic Slip and Geth's Verdict is in there too. Then you got White slipping from Path to Exile all the way to Oblivion Ring. Then you got red going from bolt to incinerate and shock to [/c]Pillar of flame[/c] and Searing Spear. Blue then goes from Cancel to Mana Leak to Dissipate. 

Then for mass removal you end up with day of judgment replacing wrath. Black gets black sun's zenith and now mutilate. Red gets Slagstorm then Bonfire of the Damned and now Magmaquake.

It is safe to say that 2 mana counter everything cards probably won't exist going forward without severe drawbacks.

Either way the game will not get slower because creatures keep getting faster. Until there is some kind of backward anti-power creep the game will still be fast. 
Technically, a game with Cancel is faster than a game with Counterspell. More expensive removal means the threat lasts longer, and more expensive counters mean the threat is more likely to be successfully cast.

I would disagree. Legacy is a much faster format and they are slinging only the most efficient removal in the game. The speed of the game is determined by the overall costs of cards, not just the solutions. Games that involve turn one 5/5 creatures or 2-3 card game winning combos are going to end faster than any matchup in type 2 one way or the other no matter how fast your removal is.

I would disagree. Legacy is a much faster format and they are slinging only the most efficient removal in the game. The speed of the game is determined by the overall costs of cards, not just the solutions. Games that involve turn one 5/5 creatures or 2-3 card game winning combos are going to end faster than any matchup in type 2 one way or the other no matter how fast your removal is.

Turn 1: Land, something
Turn 2: Land, Something
Turn 3: Land, Dark Ritual, Snapcaster Mage, flashback the Ritual, Ghastlord of Fugue

Comparing Legacy to Standard is a bit of a mistake because Legacy also has Dark Ritual, among other things.

But comparing one Standard environment to another is a different thing. We aren't dealing with Urza-block combos, Tendrils of Agony, affinity, or Jund in Standard right now, so it's by definition slower than it was when we had those things.
139359831 wrote:
Turn 3: Land, Dark Ritual, Snapcaster Mage, flashback the Ritual, Ghastlord of Fugue

what does the snapcaster do there? the ritual already nets you enough to play the ghastlord.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

what does the snapcaster do there? the ritual already nets you enough to play the ghastlord.

Not if I'm playing more than two colors!
139359831 wrote:
Well wotc does have a speed in mind when they design for each format. For standard they aim for 6+ turns per game, although I think they would love to make it more like 8 turns. For Modern they aim for 5+. I don't think they care enough about legacy to set a specific game speed. Vintage is vintage so there is no point in them attempting to try and make the games last a certain amount of turns.

You have absolutely zero idea about what you speak of, do you?
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.