Modern Elves

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
i've always loved playing with elves, albeit at my friend's dismay lol. i've been playtesting a modern format of my casual elf deck(which makes tons of mana and tokens lightning fast, talking about 20 elves turn 3 with no glimpse). it's running pretty well, i've been testing it on magic online. looking for suggestions on maindeck and sideboard, as i don't have a sideboard at the moment lol.

Creatures:
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Boreal Druid
4x Heritage Druid
4x Nettle Sentinel
3x Elvish Visionary
4x Elvish Harbinger
4x Elvish Archdruid
4x Imperious Perfect
4x Immaculate Magistrate

Spells:
4x Lead the Stampede
4x Thousand-Year Elixir

Lands:
17x Forest

i went 16 and 4 last night on mtgo playing modern constructed. the ideal opening hand would be a couple Forests, Llanowar Elves or Boreal Druid, and a Thousand Year Elixir, along with either Imperious Perfect or Immaculate Magistrate. I can get the elixir out turn 2 pretty often, which lets me tap mana elves as soon as they come out, effectively letting me play llanowars or boreals for free. i usually win by turn 4 or 5 having an Immaculate Magistrate that i can tap twice a turn, or an Imperious Perfect pumping out two 2/2 tokens a turn.

i need a sideboard of some kind, just a general purpose toolkit essentially. suggestions on maindeck are welcome also :-)
Depending on how much mana you can produce on turn 3, might Genesis wave be better than lead the stampede?
Depending on how much mana you can produce on turn 3, might Genesis wave be better than lead the stampede?

for some reason i was thinking it was banned lol, idk why. that's a great idea, i'll testrun that when mtgo comes back online.

Green sun's zenith is banned, so you were probably thinking of that
Some suggestions for you;

Eldrazi creatures
Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots over Thousand Year Elixir.
Immaculate Magistrate MUST go out and 4 Ezuri MUST go in. Or probably 3 Ezuri and 1 Eldrazi Monument.
Don't know how I missed this, but Joraga Warcaller should pretty much be an auto-include.
Also you must replace Lead the Stampede with Regal Force. The Force is 5632896y275 times better. Combo elves used it back in extended and I don't see a reason you shouldn't include it.
The idea of the deck is to use the elixir to tap and untap immaculate and pump up unblocked creatures. With this setup I've gone a total of 24 and 6 online. Elixir is better than greaces because it'll let me tap and untap any creatures I need.

an eldrazi wouldn't hurt, but as I said the deck is pretty quick, the games I lost were mainly due to mass destruction, so sideboard would have 3 eldrazi monuments probably. Need some graveyard hate, although I stomped a knight of reliquary deck

tried genesis wave, too slow compared to lead the stampede for where it's being used(turn 3 to 5). 3 mana for at least 2 elves versus 10 mana to look at the top five that early isnt worth it imo
Well that's not very effective then since just 1 doom blade just ruins your strategy flat out. I'd say Ezuri/Eldrazi Monument woth Regal Force give you better options and more raw power. Once you set up with ezuri or monument your elves are regenerating or indestructible either way protecting you from DoJ or WoG, pyroclasm effects all played in modern. The magistrate makes 1 guy dangerous, if you are lucky 2. But he is 4 mana for a 2/2, he is slow and not very impressive. I used to play the combo elves with grapeshot and was very pleased with their consistency. Another way to go infinite these days with elves is Cloudstone Curio.
I'm with the Genesis Wave crowd here.  Lead the Stampede is fine, but Genesis Wave doesn't draw the cards.  It puts them into play.  Plus, the only card it doesn't hit in your deck at the moment is itself.  Lead currently reads "draw 2-3 cards".  Genesis Wave reads "put your entire library into play".  Big difference there.

I think you're trying to build this to be too much like Legacy Combo Elves.  However, without Glimspe of Nature and Wirewood Symbiote to constantly re-fill your hand and smooth out your spells, you're going to stall out a lot trying to emulate that kind of deck.  That said, if you build more like the aggro version of the Legacy deck, you'll likley have more success.

I'd definitely go with more Ezuri, Renegade Leader, Chameleon Colossus and other "elves" you can make huge.  Basically, everything in the deck either makes mana, draws elves or pumps elves.
Actually I would substitute the 4 elixirs and the 4 Lead the Stampede with some summoning pacts or chord of callings and the mentioned by me regal forces. You can go infinite by tutoring the nettle sentinels/heritag druids and just draw your deck with regal force. 1 Akromas memorial(or the newly reprinted Fervor) should be a decent win condition if you don't want to add the storm element to the deck. Idea is to win immediately when you go off, instead of making 1 elf big. That's why I like tutors because they increase the consistency of what you are doing and basically saying "i have access to every creature in the deck" instant speed. Elves in legacy do it, elves in old extended did it I can't imagine it being worse than elixir/stampede by any stretch of the imagination.
I've played alot of elves and your list will fold to any deck with good Removal. Check my list out if you want another take.
Actually I would substitute the 4 elixirs and the 4 Lead the Stampede with some summoning pacts or chord of callings and the mentioned by me regal forces. You can go infinite by tutoring the nettle sentinels/heritag druids and just draw your deck with regal force. 1 Akromas memorial(or the newly reprinted Fervor) should be a decent win condition if you don't want to add the storm element to the deck. Idea is to win immediately when you go off, instead of making 1 elf big. That's why I like tutors because they increase the consistency of what you are doing and basically saying "i have access to every creature in the deck" instant speed. Elves in legacy do it, elves in old extended did it I can't imagine it being worse than elixir/stampede by any stretch of the imagination.

I've played elves alot and Summoners Pact isnt actually that good in Modern Elves. It kills you. Alot. Chord is better and Lead the Stampede is an Allstar.
I'm with the Genesis Wave crowd here.  Lead the Stampede is fine, but Genesis Wave doesn't draw the cards.  It puts them into play.  Plus, the only card it doesn't hit in your deck at the moment is itself.  Lead currently reads "draw 2-3 cards".  Genesis Wave reads "put your entire library into play".  Big difference there.

I think you're trying to build this to be too much like Legacy Combo Elves.  However, without Glimspe of Nature and Wirewood Symbiote to constantly re-fill your hand and smooth out your spells, you're going to stall out a lot trying to emulate that kind of deck.  That said, if you build more like the aggro version of the Legacy deck, you'll likley have more success.

I'd definitely go with more Ezuri, Renegade Leader, Chameleon Colossus and other "elves" you can make huge.  Basically, everything in the deck either makes mana, draws elves or pumps elves.

Lead the Stampede is better because after they wipe the board you can still play it to fill your hand back up. genesis wave is only good when you have a board full of elves, which is the goal, but isnt always the case.
My pact suggestion was based around going infinite in 1 turn. You can just have 1 Akroma's Memorial swing with the hasty elves after making thousands of mana and putting your deck on the battlefield, or grapeshot-ing someone for his life total. I wouldn't run pact in a non-combo elves, but then again I wouldn't play elves without explosive combo 1 turn kill.