M13 draft 2!

649 posts / 0 new
Last post
This pick seems easy enough. That's a very strong pack overall.
It is a very strong pack overall.  I don't think it's an increadibly easy decision, as I can make a case in my head for Garruk, the clearly game-changing bomb, but heavily green commited, or Oblivion Ring, splashable, and possibly the best removal in the set.

Still, I think it has to be Garruk.  He's just game-ending if you have any kind of board presence when he shows up.
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
Garruk

And we move forward assuming that white is now closed for passing that O-ring. 

Looks like we're probably going to end up drafting green in both of these threads.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Garruk and it's not even close...
Yeah, Garruk easily, but it is a strong pack and passing an answer to him in O-ring never feels good.
Garruk and it sucks to pass on an o-ring

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Is it just me, or does passing an O-Ring sound physically uncomfortable? Also, in case it wasn't clear the first time around I am voting for Garruk. I've won many a tournament on the strength of a Planeswalker alone.
People will either realize that we got a bomb... or that we're rare drafting?

Yeah. Garruk.
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Garruk
Am I reading this correctly?
His _PLUS_ ability puts a creature onto the battlefield?
You can even just cast him as a _draw four_ in most green decks?
Holy crap this guy is nuts.

Garruk

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

garruk. this is a good green pack.
Lets try to avoid white because we are passing O Ring.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Lets try to avoid white because we are passing O Ring.

Only one pack will be coming from that direction though.
Guys, I know garruk is not a bad card, but you're passing a BOUNTIFUL HARVEST.  Not only are you losing out on the biggest bomb in the set, you're gonna get cut from green in pack 2.

Like I said, _IT'S ONLY ONE PACK_.

Harvest might be the better card, but it is also a common. I'm sure we'll see another. And my god, a mirracle might just happen and we table it. I KNOW, _REDICULOUS_, but maybe the people in our pod just don't like green! You never know!
Garruk, Primal Hunter and happy with it 
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Take Garruk. If we want to be mean, soak up all the good green and white, just to hurt the next guy in line for taking the O-ring (c'mon, he'd be stupid not to take the ring).

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Another rare in our color?  Absolutely.  Dryad's the pick as it doesn't even put us into another color yet.

I think we could also go with the Boar, but it was underwhelming.  A 3/3 for 2 is great, but it doesn't have a relevant ability.  Farseek might be ok, but right now we'd just like it to be Rampant Growth.
Dryad is the safest pick, as it works regardless of the other color chosen, I would go with that.
Another rare in our color?  Absolutely.  Dryad's the pick as it doesn't even put us into another color yet.

I think we could also go with the Boar, but it was underwhelming.  A 3/3 for 2 is great, but it doesn't have a relevant ability.  Farseek might be ok, but right now we'd just like it to be Rampant Growth.

Technically if you want the dryad to work it does put you into another color.
Yes, it puts us into another color, but not a specific color.  We're still open to any other color that gets passed to us, therefore we are not in any other color.
Dryad is definitely the pick here. I do really like flinthoof boar but in order for him to be anything other than a vanilla 2/2 we'd have to go into red which we don't want to commit to. Atleast dryad will work no matter what other color we decide to go into aside from green. 
I kind of want to say Griffin Protector, just to make MA's blood boil.

Instead I'll vote for the Dryad.
What is this 'Drafting 101 for Dummies'?

Dryad
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Dryad works for me.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Dryad. And let's try to avoid white.
Farseek might be ok, but right now we'd just like it to be Rampant Growth.

Quirion Dryad might be ok, but right now we'd just like it to not be a 1/1 for 2!
Dryad
Guys, I know garruk is not a bad card, but you're passing a BOUNTIFUL HARVEST.  Not only are you losing out on the biggest bomb in the set, you're gonna get cut from green in pack 2.

Like I said, _IT'S ONLY ONE PACK_.

Harvest might be the better card, but it is also a common. I'm sure we'll see another. And my god, a mirracle might just happen and we table it. I KNOW, _REDICULOUS_, but maybe the people in our pod just don't like green! You never know!

How is bountiful harvest the biggest bomb in the set?  I imagine you're typically getting 5 or 6 life out of it.  Angel's Mercy always tables and that would get you more for less CMC.  Is it just because it can lengthen a game in a format that seems more likely to stall?
I recommend that you attend a very nice course entitled "Internet Sarcasm 101"....
Good to see that somebody finally took the bait.
I was wondering if anybody would.  Someone also took my bait when they revealed Battle of Wits and I suggested running it in EDH.  More surprisingly, someone posted a combo that would actually make that work.
Dryad. Though for some strange reason I can't help but think there's a better choice.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

RARE DRAFTING ITT
Quirion Dryad

I really like Flinthoof Boar more, maybe if this was the 3rd pick so we had a better idea about what we'd get in pack 3. Can't really decipher too much at this point it seems, aside from knowing that Oblivion Ring is sitting behind us.
It occus to me we could really ruin some poor drafter's day by hard cutting white right now, since they'd only be able to make a mediocre white deck at best, but there wouldn't be much long term gain from that.  We're unlikely to see any white bomb pick 3, and we have two very good reasons to be in green and some other color.

Still, once that second color is picked we should hate draft white over other colors if given the chance.
Dryad! It'll be fun picking our other color(s).
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Sign In to post comments