Crafting in D&D Next

I havent been able to (yet) play D&D Next but it seems very simplified and characters more powerful (read: Better), one thing just crossed my mind when I read the playtest files.

Crafting should be in the game, and not that "needs 200gp worth of materials", that is dull.
I am talking about naming the materials, like 2 ingots of adamantium and such, and in alchemy there should be tens (hundreds if you are optimistic) of plants to make potions from.

I guess this crafting will be added in some of the modules that come after the launch, but I want something interesting to be added to the crafting as well, just prices wont be enough for me if you people in WotC decide to add crafting to the game.

I dont think it would make the game better if it isn't good, but it can bring something different in the roleplaying experience. I dont think anyone has done this before, usually it is up to DM to invent the ingredients or just ignore it.

It could be possible with this "new modules, new rules" -experience, it just needs a proper add-on.

Bottom line: No 3.5 crafting.

What do you, think about this idea?
Well the thing is that they're only going to be as available as the DM lets them be, much like crafting already works in previous editions. Theres not much difference from "Is there any Deathbell in these woods?" to "I buy some crafting mats in Town." because neither of these things are terribly interesting, the former may get you a random encounter, but I imagine most DMs aren't tracking the location of hundreds of different herbs and will instead handwave availability, negating the whole system aside the handful of people who want it, and would probably make their own system for it.
Point taken.
Although I think that it could be interesting to get some materials like dragon's hide to make a dragon hide armor, which cant be purchased.
It can be a bit distracting but it can also bring to some interesting to just walking from random encounter to another when players say: "Do I see any intersting herbs during our walk?"
Hello,

This topic belongs in   Playtest Packet Discussion   so I'll be moving it there

Thanks,

Monica

Monica

Wizards of the Coast Online Community Coordinator

A friendly dragon.

Getting to Know Your Magic Online Client

Basic Dungeons & Dragons FREE

WotC, please, please don't do this. Don't waste a dozen pages on something most groups either won't need or will be outright unable to use.

Jonir, this isn't Skyrim. Not everyone is playing in the same setting, so any list of materials & recipes will be useless.
OP, I have to agree with Tylara there. Bethesda did an excellent job creating an in-depth crafting system for their games (Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc).

However, your suggestion would not do well for adaptation into the core rules. Perhaps as its own supplement...but not in the core mechanics.
A simple subnote of " nature and availability of these materials is determined by your DM" would suffice for me.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

There is some 3rd edition supplements which include nothing more than lists of feats and weapons (which seems pretty weird because D&D weapons have one statistic with any kind of relevance) so why not a supplement with forging and alchemy materials and rules?

Of course this is a waste of paper in the core-rulebook, but in supplements it could be interesting. Especially if WotC takes some time to write it properly. I understand that this new D&D is going to have many new supplements. So I am expressing mine ideas of what those supplements could include.

I was bored because alchemy, which should be relevant to at least wizards, is just toned down or ignored altogether. It is over-simplified and stripped to bare mechanics. If this would be an trend then the character's name could be "Adventurer", his weapon is named "Sword" and he is on a journey to place called "Town".

Wizards (or other crafters) could also get some free time from the campaign and go gather some materials if they would want. Some may argue that why would people want to do this but hey, it is beneficial for the group, and all DM's know what lenghts players will go to do something beneficial to the group (or at least to them selves).

Not every campaign has the need for this kind of thing, if no one takes crafting skills or isn't interested in using it, then there is no need for it. But I doubt I am the only one who wants a bit more from his/her crafting skills.
They have already given something similar to that via the Herbalist theme...and I'm sure they'll do themes of other variants (Alchemist, Tinkerer, Tradesman, etc). I see where you're coming from on that...and I'm sure the in-depth write ups for crafting can take place in one or more supplements, with the core rules giving the broad "DM's call" explaination of crafting like Valdark mentioned.
Oh yeah I would definitely purchase the supplement for ideas.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

This sounds like a great idea for an additional module:  it'd be outside the core rules so those who don't wish to bother with it do not, and available for those who'd like additional rules to this effect.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of being able to make extra-nice armor from dragons; it's just one more thing that makes your character pretty amazing if you manage to take one down.

Don't see where this belongs in the 3 main books, but I would buy a 128 page supplement entirely dedicated to this idea.
I'm right there with ya. In fact, many a solid adventure hook have come in the form of "The (crafting) material you need is extremely rare, and the only place it may be found is in the (adventure locale).

Beyond incredibly rare materials, or when the players are in a rural region without any major trade hubs... If you need items, you go buy them. It's how Iron and Copper and Lead mines make money. They're not inherently precious metals, and typically the Mine owners can't Mint their own currency, but there are always people around to buy them in order to make and sell their own finished goods. The same goes for Trappers, Lumberjacks, Farmers, Hunters, Fishermen, etc.

Commerce may be boring, but it's realistic.
"nature and availability of these materials is determined by your DM"

Well formulated.

Crafting should be in the game

What do you think about this idea?

I think the DMG should have flavour text for crafting, but never explicitly give rules for it. (ad&d style)

Even in splat books: crafting should be like the Lady of Pain, it exists but it's never quantified.
Even in splat books: crafting should be like the Lady of Pain, it exists but it's never quantified.

I think crafting should be a modular option for those who wnt it.  I'm not one of those people, but I know it would be popular.
I don't think more than a background should be in the main rules (like for herbalist), but a packed to the gills expansion with all sorts of crafting shenanigans would be awesome.

That goes double for poisons.
'That's just, like, your opinion, man.'