Cleric and Darksun

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I am trying to create a Cleric with the Elemental priest Theme for the Darksun setting, but I cannot find the cleric.

Why?

Thanks
The Siltskimmer Page - www.siltskimmer.org
If you're creating the character using the Dark Sun settings, Clerics are not available since they are a divine class. No gods in Dark Sun therefore no Divine magic.
If you're creating the character using the Dark Sun settings, Clerics are not available since they are a divine class. No gods in Dark Sun therefore no Divine magic.

That being said, if your DM allows it, and you can come up with either a significant backstory to explain it, or you can refluff it far enough (for example, an "Arcane Cleric" could very well be a Preserver), you could always use the Home campaign and enable the Dark Sun options. If your DM allows it...

You might have better luck convincing your DM to let you play a Runepriest probably a Mul or Goliath.

If can fluff in very easily.
Sorry I was answering the mechanical question as to why divine characters aren't an option when you chose Dark Sun setting in the CB. Malak is correct that using Home Campaign with Dark Sun option (in the Manage Character section) will let you create a cleric assuming your DM gave you permission to do so. If not, you may want to also look into Druid (sentinel) or Shaman which are primal character types which fit very nicely in Dark Sun.   
Yup! I found that I could build the Cleric I want with the Darksun option with the generic setting.

Btw, one thing I don't understand is why cleric shouldn't be part of darksun? That's the main point of the darksun setting since 2nd ed!

If you don't have cleric, what classes can you take instead and what's the background behind it to change such a big part of the original setting!? 
No gods, no divine classes.  Seems a pretty direct cause-and-effect.

Every other class is legal, to the extent of my knowledge.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Actually in the 2e and 3.5e setting there never was any God, the cleric were recieving their power from the elemental planes. What does replace them actually? Because cleric were core to most of what explain the setting.
The Elemental Cleric was used in the 2e game because it was needed for party building - running without a cleric was excessively dangerous in 2e, as I understand.

In 4e, the Primal classes - particularly Shaman - exist to fill that void; ECs were always a weird fit, anyways. Per "Modern" Dark Sun, you want an Elemental Cleric, you should probably build a Shaman or maybe a Druid.

Not that using a normal Cleric couldn't work; just that it's a weird fit for the setting.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.

Actually in the 2e and 3.5e setting there never was any God, the cleric were recieving their power from the elemental planes. What does replace them actually? Because cleric were core to most of what explain the setting.

Clerics were "Core" in 2e because they had to be.  2e didn't have mechanics set up to allow for non-cleric main healing.. except the druid, perhaps, but even the Druid wasn't the best party healer.  4e finally allows for non cleric healers, so it's finally possible to get rid of them, and still maintain a group.

in 4e, what replaces the cleric. . .   Druid, Shaman, Warlord, or any other non-divine Leader.  Tag on Elemental Priest Theme, and any of them can be called an "Elemental Cleric"...   You don't have to have the Cleric Class to be called a Cleric.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Sign In to post comments