Using a Planeswalker as a commander

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Same rules as commander (edh) but instead of a legendary creature, you use a Planeswalker! Anyone ever thought of this before? Discuss!
This actually just crossed my mind the other day. It might be fun, but I think there would be a lot of issues considering the power level of walkers. They're much more difficult to deal with, and in some cases have much more powerful abilities.
Since they can't attack, commander damage wouldn't be possible. 
Having access to [C]Sorin Markov[/C]'s abilities all the time would be unfun. 
Its been thought of and discussed.

You would need to rework the commander damage aspect of commander, but that doesn't seem to hard. A lot of planewalkers deal direct damage which could substitute in. 

Eventually, when we have enough walkers (more multicolored) I think an EDH-esque format with walkers could be viable.

3DH4LIF3

I could see this working only if the planeswalker was an additional card in the command zone, acting like a lieutennant. You could then only play your lieutennant if you had played your commander and your commander was currently on the battlefield, additionally your lieutennant could only be played after turn 6, or something.
It'd be way less diverse as there are way less Planeswalkers than legendary creatures.

But if it has to be done, maybe add a win con: you win if your planeswalker's ultimate resolve X times?

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Thought up some other stuff:
Colors: you can use any color that you think that walker would use (c'mon, this is casual)
For example Ajani doesn't just use white. The character also uses red and green.
Don't know what to do about life total and sorins ability :\
Any more ideas?
Thought up some other stuff: Colors: you can use any color that you think that walker would use (c'mon, this is casual) For example Ajani doesn't just use white. The character also uses red and green. Don't know what to do about life total and sorins ability :\ Any more ideas?

Color restrictions are integral to what makes this format work. If you pick Goldmane as you walker commander, being stuck in mono white with a commander that can't do direct damage is fair. Not much different that had I picked Azami, Lady of Scrolls- as s 0/2 she isn't likely to win via commander damage.

40 life seems appropriate, which makes sorin rather strong. Not sure if there is anything you need to do about that. If he's too strong you just ban Sorin as commander.  

Using Ulimates as a win condition doesn't seem right either. there are ultimates that create emblems, ultimates that overrun, ultimates that aren't very ultimate.... If it was X times, Gideon might be too good, or then X has to be too large a number for it to be viable, or we have special rules for each walker... 

I think the best starting place is to play with commander damage. 21 points of damage from said walker- makes the red ones pretty good, sorin, gideon, bolas, ajani vengeant all can win too. I think it makes more walkers viable that way. It might be that there is no good analog for commander damage.

There is also the issue of the walker rule... we have a lot of them, but not too many different characters. it might be really frustrating to play Chandra Nalaar vs Chandra Firebrand. 

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments