Your New Community Coordinator

74 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi everybody, I'm Sean - the new Community Coordinator for Duels of the Planeswalkers and Magic Online.

That means it's my job to be your messenger on a daily basis. I'm here to listen and record the forum feedback, requests, praise, complaints and prophecies you post, and then make sure all of those are heard by the other Wizards of the Coast. I'm still new but if there's one thing I've learned during my first week in the office, it's that the people who develop and support MTG honestly want to hear what the community thinks, so I look forward to passing on the good, bad, and the ugly of what goes on here.

From here on I'll do my best to answer any questions you have, plus I'll be the one to announce upcoming events or game updates and new releases. Another one of my responsibilities is to play a LOT of Magic, so when I'm not in the forums there's a good chance I'll be in-game. Feel free to message me if you ever want to go head to head (my user name is Wizards_Sean).

I want to get to know you all as a community. To start off, what's everybody's play style? Tell me what your last match was like. What cards have you been favoring lately, and what cards in Magic 2013 Core Set do you have your eyes on? In return I'll start with a few fun facts about myself:

My first Magic expansion was Ice Age. I still have the torn up deck box tucked away in my collection, but I'd never put cards in it or breathe on it too hard because it would immediately disintegrate.

A lot of my passion for Magic Online goes toward endless deck building. I spent hours last week looking through my cards, picking a bunch out for a deck idea, then changing my mind halfway through and starting all over again. As a result, 90% of my saved deck lists are composed of 100+ cards with zero land.

I play D&D and DM for a small group of my friends. I aspire to slowly and covertly replace every player character with doppleganger versions of themselves. If successful each player will know they’re playing a clone, but will think they’re the only one. This could take months or even years, but the payoff would be glorious when everyone learns the truth at once.

Also open for discussion: your expectations for me. What would you like to see from me as your new Community Coordinator? What's been missing that you'd like to see happen, and what's the Wizards community team done in the past that you'd like to see more of?

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I for one welcome our new ant overlords.

Err, I mean...

Welcome to the forums! 

I wish you a long enjoyable and prosperous stay with us.

Did we know you under another name, or are you new to our forums?
Thank you, Erik.
Ok I'll make a huge effort not to be callous and blase.

Welcome Sean, CM number I-lost-count!

Damn, failed.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Welcome.

First order of business: read this.

Have a presence on the boards and participate in discussions. Do what you can to insert information and justifications from WotC.

Be careful when making jokes: if a comment can be construed as condecending, someone will take it that way.

Please involve me in community decisions as much as possible.  I am readily contactable via e-mail, twitter and just about every chat client. Also go pop into the VCL forum.

I'm sure will come to me later.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I for one welcome our new ant overlords.

Err, I mean...

Welcome to the forums! 

I wish you a long enjoyable and prosperous stay with us.

Did we know you under another name, or are you new to our forums?

I'm a new member to the forums, but I've been reading a lot of past threads to catch myself up.

Also, thanks for the link (and for the advice) bubba. I'll read it right now

Sean Gibbons

Welcome Sean, 

I am an avid Classic player and also love any type of limited format.

My biggest beef right now is the payout for Classic events in M12. Can we please change the payout to something classic related. For more info look to Calavera's posts as he has championed this arguement for eons with no results. 

Good luck in your new role.       
Its always good to see a new face from Wotc. One that going to be the face for wotc on the boards is even better.

Sound advice already given above from a few people.

I know you have a full plate but at some point your gonna need to jump in feet first to the client if you dont already know it.

New UI in the works, so that mean you should spend some time with the new UI and also roam the Beta Boards.

This will allow you read the hugh amount of feedback over there and keep in touch with another part of the community.

You will also see me posting more over there  then here as I tend to be there and in the Beta client often.

Any questions you have over there feel free to pm me by boards or in client. My screen name is the same as it is here.

Good Luck and we look forward to great things from you. Hopefuly your not shipped off to some remote area never to be heard from again, like so many before you.   - Joe

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Hi Sean. When decisions are made (for example, what block to payout for Cube Drafts), I'd like it if you could let us know the philosophy behind the decision.

Howdy, Sean!

Enjoy your stay! *cackles maniacally* 

I'm a Modern fanatic, purveyor of fine PRE's, and general smartass. Oh. And spammer. (Those of you who have gotten my spam in client know what I mean!)

Played paper back in Ravnica days, primarilly kitchen table, some FNMs, then moved to Quebec (don't ask) and didn't play anymore. Primarilly because je non parler parapluie. ANYway, moved to Dog River, and finally dove into MTGO, and here I am.

I play Modern almost exclusively, but am conversant in all sanctioned (online) formats except Commander & Planechase. (I can fake it with those, tho!) Playstyle would pretty much be anything goes. I play Aggro, Tempo, Control, Combo, Land Destruction, Mill, Discard, Infect, Prison, WTF?, etc etc. I mainly hang out in the Just For Fun room.

Oh! And one more thing! Good luck! 

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Hiya!

I'm a huge douchbag, but as long as you stay on my good side, I'll be incredibly helpful.

Good luck and have fun!

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Its always good to see a new face from Wotc. One that going to be the face for wotc on the boards is even better.

Sound advice already given above from a few people.

I know you have a full plate but at some point your gonna need to jump in feet first to the client if you dont already know it.

New UI in the works, so that mean you should spend some time with the new UI and also roam the Beta Boards.

This will allow you read the hugh amount of feedback over there and keep in touch with another part of the community.

You will also see me posting more over there  then here as I tend to be there and in the Beta client often.

Any questions you have over there feel free to pm me by boards or in client. My screen name is the same as it is here.

Good Luck and we look forward to great things from you. Hopefuly your not shipped off to some remote area never to be heard from again, like so many before you.   - Joe

Thanks Joe. I'm quite familiar with the client, though I realize there are a lot of MTGO veterans in these forums I probably can't shake a candle to... or hold a stick at? Either way, you can expect to see me gradually spread my attention out to the other boards as I get up to speed. I appreciate the advice!

@Blippy - Excellent post, and thanks for the luck :D

Hi Sean. When decisions are made (for example, what block to payout for Cube Drafts), I'd like it if you could let us know the philosophy behind the decision.

This is one of my goals. As I become more and more familiar with you guys, I'll also be paying close attention to game updates and decisions on Wizards' end as they get put into place. If there's reasoning and philosophy that the developers don't mind sharing, I'll pass it on to the forums.

Sean Gibbons

Howdy wizards_sean, have fun.
Welcome Sean, great to have you aboard.
Howdy, welcome to the boards.
I'm a new member to the forums, but I've been reading a lot of past threads to catch myself up.

I take it you have been to other forums in the past (just judging by your posting style, seems very appropriate)?

The biggest difference between those forums and these is that the folks here tend to be much older*, calmer*, and smarter* than the occupants of other boards.  I don't know if they told you this, but several community managers have come and gone before thanks largely to just not being open and honest with us.  We understand there is an "ugly truth" to things sometimes, and in general are more likely to accept that when presented honestly.

*Myself excluded, obv.    
Actually......here's something relevant: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

While the OP is 4 years old, the last bit of the thread are recent posts.  This problem hapened 4 years ago, was resolved, but has cropped back up again.  Bubba said Worth was notified, but I figure it couldn't hurt to bring it to your attention.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

This is one of my goals. As I become more and more familiar with you guys, I'll also be paying close attention to game updates and decisions on Wizards' end as they get put into place. If there's reasoning and philosophy that the developers don't mind sharing, I'll pass it on to the forums.

A great example of what I'd like is in today's announcement about the changes to the Multiplayer room. The explanation was longer than the announcement of the change itself, great job WotC!

Welcome Sean.  I look forward to working with you... too bad that means you will have to work with me.  Wink 
First the good. The bar's been set so low you literally can trip over it to become the best Liason we've ever had. Now that that's over, you really have a couple of hard hurdles to overcome:
Entrenched forum regulars. Most have been here for a very long time. Very, very long time. They have seen WoTC make mistakes that you wouldn't believe in reality TV.
The forums themselves. These boards are troublesome at best and a nightmare to deal with at worst. Try posting links often to things you think we need to see in the less obvious areas.
Lack of forum users. Good luck building a community that has been tore apart by years of company abuse/neglect.
Meaningfull discourse of timely information. This has been a huge sticking point and has been tried from a couple different angles in the past. More info is good, timely info is better, consistantly doing both over a period of time has been unattainabe to WoTC so far.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you see this as a job worth doing and not the stepping stone that others have taken this position for.
Hmmm.

Sean, there is an aspect of these boards that WotC has very rarely taken advantage of.

There area LOT of very bright rationale people here.   Instead of implementation of some new idea for MOL by WotC, then seeing if we like it, you might help the powers that be by getting them to discuss ideas with us before hand. 

Akin to this is starting brainstorming threads.

For example, sooner or later The MOL Team will decide to implement Leagues.  Unfortunately there are few Team members who were here when Leagues last existed.  They don't know what the problems were with League structure.  But there are a fair number of us who do remember.  There have been some very good forum threads about potential League structures.    Can you imagine a better way to assure excitement about Leagues than letting us help design them in even the smallest contributory way?

EDIT: OR a more topical example.  I just read that the multiplayer room will be closed.  At first blush this seems a great way to kill the multiplayer community.  Was this decision discussed with the multiplayer community?  The rationale given in the announcement seems, uh, shall we say, lacking in evidence of any research of the multiplayer community.  Oh, and giving ONE day notice? Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback.
Thank you, Erik.
Welcome Sean and Good luck!

I am a gold mage spike timmy with some inclinations to johnny magic tricks without the genius necessary to pull them off with flair. I tend towards Aggro Control decks because I like the versatility they usually offer. I do dabble in combo occasionally but usually when it is convoluted and not particularly good (my signature deck of note was rebels conspiracy.) I write casual-oriented magic articles for puremtgo.com (somewhat infrequently of late) and enjoy community building activities.

Been playing since '94, collecting since '93. Been playing (running) D&D or some form of it since '79. My favorite RPGs when I was an active p&p player (it's been 5-6 years or so) were Champions and Shadowrun with AD&D 1st ed hybrids (home rules) coming in a close 3rd. Love the substitution meme but it is tough to pull off without some really good role players. I wish you luck with that endeavor as well.

Your introductory post gives me a lot of hope for better times to come.

Winter.Wolf

Hmmm.

Sean, there is an aspect of these boards that WotC has very rarely taken advantage of.

There area LOT of very bright rationale people here.   Instead of implementation of some new idea for MOL by WotC, then seeing if we like it, you might help the powers that be by getting them to discuss ideas with us before hand. 

Akin to this is starting brainstorming threads.

For example, sooner or later The MOL Team will decide to implement Leagues.  Unfortunately there are few Team members who were here when Leagues last existed.  They don't know what the problems were with League structure.  But there are a fair number of us who do remember.  There have been some very good forum threads about potential League structures.    Can you imagine a better way to assure excitement about Leagues than letting us help design them in even the smallest contributory way?

EDIT: OR a more topical example.  I just read that the multiplayer room will be closed.  At first blush this seems a great way to kill the multiplayer community.  Was this decision discussed with the multiplayer community?  The rationale given in the announcement seems, uh, shall we say, lacking in evidence of any research of the multiplayer community.  Oh, and giving ONE day notice? Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback.

?? I sure hope this is either wrong or a case of a door closing, a window opening. Link please Mr Algy?
Nevermind found it: community.wizards.com/magiconline/blog/2...

Winter.Wolf

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Thread discussinng the closing of the multiplayer room.  Link to the announcement is in the first post in that thread.
Thank you, Erik.

Be careful when making jokes: if a comment can be construed as condecending, someone will take it that way.

I'll second this bit of advice. ;-P

Welcome Sean!   

Hi Sean,

I played MTG when it first came out.  My friends and I were just kids.  I remember I'd have a deck of like 100s of cards of all colors.  Sadly we only played for about a couple of years before we moved on to other nonsense.  I left all my cards at my friend Travis' house.  Years later I asked him if he still had them but his mom threw them out.  Very sad because I know we had some good ones.

Advance 20(some odd) years into the future I just decided to check it out again.  I don't have any friends that have even heard of the game and no real desire to make new friends at local card shops.  So MTGO is my only source for magic.

Right now I'm just playing the planeswalker format because building a deck from scratch is a bit intimidating.  Dealing with bots and all that.  The planeswalker cards that come with the client keeps me busy.

The latest deck I'm enjoying is a mono green deck that has a bunch of cheap creatures and a bunch of +3/+3 enchants.  Plus some "play extra land" cards. Something very satisfying about beating a guy with a 3/2 creature that has 2 +3/+3 enchants after just a few turns.

Of course it doesn't always work out that way..

anyway hopefully WoTC keeps people like myself in mind as they go forward.  W/out MTGO I don't really get to play MTG.

I'll second this bit of advice. ;-P

Welcome Sean!   

CAW?!

CAW?!

Tabak had his own that's even more recent.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Hrrrmph.

I expect you to be promoted out of this position within 8 months, and I expect it to be left unfilled again for twice that length.

Regardless, welcome.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Welcome.

First order of business: read this.

Have a presence on the boards and participate in discussions. Do what you can to insert information and justifications from WotC.

Please involve me in community decisions as much as possible.  I am readily contactable via e-mail, twitter and just about every chat client. Also go pop into the VCL forum.

I'm sure will come to me later.

Dang, if that post is still step one, I should see about updating it again some time.

Welcome Sean!  I've been playing a little while, just before Fallen Empires, joined MTGO during the initial beta.  Last year I introduced my 11 year old to Magic, so the next generation is on the way.  I've played way more on the new set betas than on the live server for the past few years, the lack of leagues and other version "upgrades" have cause my spending to go from about $20 a month to $0 for a long time.  Still love the game, nothing can touch the rich meta game around playing of "your" deck against someone else.

One piece of advice.  It is ALWAYS better to tell us truthfully what is going on, then to try and hide, minimize, excuse, or ignore news that impacts the game.  People are exceptionally invested in this game, and on the whole, are very bright and understanding of issues that cause problems.  No news is much much worse than telling us bad news, the earlier and less watered down we hear about problems, the better we can cope.
Welcome Sean,

I hope you have a positive and profitable stay with us.

I have two pieces of advice that have mainly been shared by others already but I think they are very important so I'd echo them.

1) Honesty and transparency are very good.  We can take bad news.

2) Most of us here want to help make this game better.  Let us help you.  If there is anything that we can help decide or give feedback on, we will handle it with plenty of well thought out ideas and discussions.
To echo ArchGenius and others, let us help you.  Spend a while on this board and you will very quickly determine that there are a number of us who have been around for a very long time and have unrivaled understanding of Magic Online past, present and future.  We want Magic Online to succeed.  You wouldn't believe what we've been through trying to help it succeed.  We know this product can be the future of Magic: the Gathering, and if we've stuck through it up to this point, you can bet we'll stick through it when things are on the upswing (and I sincerely believe that they are right now).

My next bit of advice is that you should play more multiplayer.  Get out there and play some Commander and be talkative.  Let the other players know who you are.  The hard truth is that this forum is, for the moment, fairly anemic.  By posting here, you've let a very small (but unusually well-informed) group of Magic Online players know who you are.  You're never going to reach them all, but you need to try.  At the moment, the best way to do that is to play a bunch of games in a bunch of formats and let those people know who you are.  Let them tell their friends that they played a game with the new CC and that he seemed like a nice guy.  You can't start from the top and work down at this job.  Those of us at the top (in terms of how much we pay attention to the state of the game and the community) are already in your camp and ready to help out.  The other 99% of Magic Online players don't even know the Community Coordinator position exists, let alone that you've just filled it.

Also, the flagship just launched a new Magic Online-centric article (Jacob Van Lunen's Perilous Research).  Talk to him and make sure he gives you a shout out.  Perilous Research isn't exactly community-oriented, but it's all we've got on the flagship site right now, so make sure you're using it.  Heck, maybe you can contribute a "Sean's Corner" subfeature to his column every now and then to let people know what's happening.

Oh, and in response to your initial questions:

I'm Ith.  I've been on Magic Online for ten years.  I was an Adept (similar to current ORCs) for three of those years.  I'm a Spike-Johnny (in that order) who tends to play online draft and Commander.  I dislike Primeval Titan.  My last match was an Avacyn Restored draft where I played mono-black and got blown out by someone else playing mono-black, and I'm kind of bitter about it.
Hi Sean,
Welcome.  I'm usually a lurker.  I post occasionally.  Like others, I have a long history with MTG and MTGO.  I'm an incredibility poor player with bad eyesight who just retired.  Someone has to lose and it is usually me.  My son introduced me to magic when he went off to college back in the day and YESTERDAY, my nine year old granddaughter called to tell me that she spent her own money on her first booster pack.  It had a hellrider in it (which I'm sure will not go over well with the other Grandma---why couldn't it have been a werewolve?)  That made the four generation of magic players in my family!  I would like to know it that is a record.  My daughter's ex stops at our house to play magic when he is in town.  How's that for dedication?  Since someone has to lose, and it is usually me, I try to at least be nice and kind to everyone I met online.  I do not have a favorite since I lose equally well in all. 

I really wish you well and like others, expect you to be promoted in eight months if you survive. 

PS.  I have two family members and three friends (from the kids) who will return or join MTGO when a good version of leagues finally arrives.  I'm hoping that happens soon since I would like to lose to them all before I die.
Good Evening Sean!

Welcome Aboard! You'll be seeing my posts a lot and I hope you find them useful as they are usually suggestions for how to improve MTGO offerings.

I'm Calavera in game (someone who hasn't logged in in years has my nick on here) and I consider myself a typical MTGO only player. I'm old school... started playing in Ice Age at tournaments run by Scott Larrabee down in Costa Mesa I qualified for a couple pro tours but quit paper MTG just before Urza....

Picked up MTGO when it started but quickly quit because Onslaguht was horrible and Morph may have been my least favorite mechanic of all time... but I came back for Time Spiral and um... have been addicted ever since...  I even tried to play paper  again but found out that I was not only twice the age of all the people in my area.. but cheating was worse than ever so quickly came back online.

My playstyle is "merfolk"  as I love Classic and Legacy and attacking for 2. I bet you can guess what the one card I want from M13 is?   although I will always be a monoblack necro player at heart (hymn hymn I win!) I am also addicted to foils... only lands and commons and uncommons so far... but I tend to overdraft these quite a bit.

What I would love from you in terms of your position is pretty simple... feedback. There have been some head scratching decisions made and some totally awesome ones.... and the board trolls like myself have had tons of amazing suggestions and some not so great ones.  For instance, I credit myself with suggestng multiple colored draft queues to distinguish which you were joining... It was implemented a copule of weeks after I suggested it on the boards... but I never had a reply to my thread saying "great idea" or "we are actually working on that already" so who knows if it was really my suggestion? I like to think so.. If you get bored and go through my post history you'll see I've started tons of threads with ideas that went without comment from Wotc...

For my final though I will tell you my most pressing suggestion... the sparcity of 64-man draft during release events...  If you notice these events generally fill up DAYS in advance.. and are only scheduled once every 7 hours... they are obviously very popular.. why not make more? I have gone entire releases without being able to get into a single one... and If I don't know my schedule days in advance I can forget about it (not to mention there is always at least one guy who signed up then doesn't make it to the tourney so it takes forever to draft/deckbuild).... If you could get them to schedule more... or make the queues fire on demand for the M13 release... it would be amazing.

Well that is it for my wall of text! Have fun and good luck!

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Welcome.  I'm on vacation, so this will be kind of short.

Walk the walk before you talk the talk.  Please don't pander or market to us.  WotC culture isn't really used to open communication, you'll likely find a lot of vetting needs to be done.  That's okay, just be up front about it when it happens.

IMHO, community management is 90% community and 10% management.  We have had a former CM who believed the opposite.  If you sense we are a bit jaded on the boards, the previous attempts to fill your position are a part of the reason why.

Personally, I don't think this is the time to rush to judgment.  I hope you take the time to understand the game and community and find your own way.  You're never going to make everyone happy, but you can find and define a role.  I just hope that role is more of a positive influence to the community than the past attempts.

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Welcome.  I'm on vacation, so this will be kind of short.

Walk the walk before you talk the talk.  Please don't pander or market to us.  WotC culture isn't really used to open communication, you'll likely find a lot of vetting needs to be done.  That's okay, just be up front about it when it happens.

IMHO, community management is 90% community and 10% management.  We have had a former CM who believed the opposite.  If you sense we are a bit jaded on the boards, the previous attempts to fill your position are a part of the reason why.

Personally, I don't think this is the time to rush to judgment.  I hope you take the time to understand the game and community and find your own way.  You're never going to make everyone happy, but you can find and define a role.  I just hope that role is more of a positive influence to the community than the past attempts.

Later,

Don! 

And yes, this qualifies as "short" for Don

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

I had the exact same thought while I was still reading it! Though, to be fair, I don't mind reading his "long" posts.

I had the exact same thought while I was still reading it! Though, to be fair, I don't mind reading his "long" posts.

I wish my "long" posts were still archived.  Alas, they were lost in one migration or another, years ago.  Until Don writes a 40,000 word post, I still win. ;)

I wish my "long" posts were still archived.  Alas, they were lost in one migration or another, years ago.  Until Don writes a 40,000 word post, I still win. ;)

What if I post 50 lolcats?

What if I post 50 lolcats?

While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount.  Stop contributing to worldwide illiteracy.
While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount.  Stop contributing to worldwide illiteracy.

And now, twice in one week.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Hello and welcome.

Please, be a person who gets things done based on our suggestions, not one who keeps coming to us with excuses about why it can't/won't be done.

That would be an amazing thing to have. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge