Home Run Dungeon Derby (Polearm Shenanigans)

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey all I'm just getting some second opinions before the game starts. I think after coming back to D&D after 7 years and reading some wonderful handbooks for builds (much appreciated), I have pinned my defender for the group that is starting soon.

At it's core, it's end goal is to be able to slide enemies farther than they can charge if their average movement is 6. Slide/prone aplenty. I'm not entirely stuck on the Longhand Student & Mark of Storm feats.

Please feel free to ask questions, I will be more than happy to reply quickly.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bron, level 11
Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Iron Vanguard
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Two-handed Weapon Talent
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Lightning
Fervent Commander (+2 to Intimidate)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 16, DEX 15, INT 11, WIS 15, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Ref: 17 Will: 17
HP: 91 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Endurance +13, Intimidate +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +7, Insight +9, Nature +7, Perception +9, Religion +5, Stealth +7, Streetwise +5, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Cleave
Fighter Attack 1: Weapon Master's Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter Attack 1: Driving Attack
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Rain of Blows
Fighter Attack 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It
Fighter Attack 9: Shift the Battlefield
Fighter Utility 10: Clearheaded
Iron Vanguard Attack 11: Frontline Surge

FEATS
Level 1: Longhand Student
Level 2: Mark of Storm
Level 4: Forceful Opportunist
Level 6: Polearm Expertise
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Polearm)
Level 11: Polearm Gamble
Level 11: Polearm Momentum

ITEMS
Antipathy Gloves x1
Rushing Cleats x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Staggering Glaive +3 x1
Summoned Scale Armor +3 x1
====== End ======

I also have a question as to why my Iron Vanguard Frontline Surge is not showing on my character sheet. Thanks again for reading!

Looks fine.

Though note that bigger and faster monsters get more common, and your allies need to let you be in front.  Consider trying to add slow at some point.  Or perhaps an ally controller will help with some difficult terrain or a wall of fire to kick them through.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Thanks mello - I'll keep that in mind to start looking for things to slow those lucky few that get past me. Any fighter feats off the top of anyone's head that can do that? I'll start browsing the compendium again.
Thanks mello - I'll keep that in mind to start looking for things to slow those lucky few that get past me. Any fighter feats off the top of anyone's head that can do that? I'll start browsing the compendium again.

Hindering Shield is the prime one, but it requires a shield.  And while there is 1-handed spears you probably have to loose staggering.

Staggering will increase though, so your slide will get further.

Also remember that things need to charge in a striaght line*, but you don't need to slide in a straight line.  So if you can hook somone around a corner (you still need line of effect), they can't charge.  Which should help with small area's.

Edit:
*ok, straight line is a bit miss leading, but it's still possible to prevent charging by hooking someone around a corner.  Like so...

______|E
Fe>>>>^

F=fighter
e=enemy start
E=enemy end
_|=wall
> = path

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Drop weapon expertise polearm. Feat bonuses don't stack.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Pick up draconic arrogance.  By 16 your polearm momentum attacks would be doing str+str+con+con.  Draconic Arrogance gives str damage on a push and str damage on a prone.  Iron Vangaurd gives con on a push and con on a prone.  So if you push and prone, you get the str+con for the push and str+con for the prone.  The more times you can dip into static mods the better.
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't think that this build works as well as intended.

I believe that you are trying to key the staggering weapon off of a push (from longhand student or forceful opportunist), however the staggering weapon only works off a slide. From what I can see, the only slide you have is from Mark of Storm however it does not appear that you have a reliable way to deal lightning or thunder damage, which the weapon property is often reserved for (used for staggering in this case).

As it stands, I think you are getting a push 3 and prone. While still formidable, it will not achieve your stated goal of pushing beyond a charge 6.

Again, maybe I missed something but that is my interpretation.

Good luck. I really like the way you are thinking.
If you really want ridiculous slide distances, do fighter, staggering spiked chain, rushing cleats, polearm master, rending chains student, reaping strike.

Fighter
-Arena Master(Spiked Chain, Mordenkrad)
-Flail Expertise (prone on a slide)
-Dragging Flail (+1 slide on a prone)
-Staggering Spike Chain +3 (+3 slide distance)
-Bludgeon Expertise (+1 push/slide, due to arena master, this will work on the spike chain)
-Rushing Cleats (+1 push/slide)
-Rending Chains Student ( adds slide 1 to reaping strike)
-Reaping Strike (the main at will until lashing flail)
-Polearm Master (+1 forced move with a two handed reach weapon, i.e. spike chain)
-Lashing Flail (MBA now has slide 1)

Reaping Strike/MBA(both will slide 1 due to either rending chains or lashing flail) >> flail expertise prones >> dragging flail adds the slide back >> slide distance is 1(dragging flail)+ 3(staggering spike chain)+ 1(rushing cleats) +1(bludgeon expertise) +1(polearm master) =prone+slide7

They have to spend their move standing, then they have to charge 6 and have reach or be able to charge 7.  Add in repel charge and you could get another mba that would do another prone+slide 7.

But it would require you to give up iron vanguard and all the polearm tricks but that is the easiest way to slide great distances.  And the flail trick works with any attack that slides.  And also gives you a third attack on rain of blows. Cool
Footwork Lure will provide an at-will slide, and keep the foe close to boot.  I'd recommend that over Weapon Master's Strike.

The feat Heavy Blade Opportunity will allow you to use an at-will on OAs.  I would consider both this and Draconic Arrogance must-haves.  With either this or Draconic Arrogance, you probably need to be getting Polearm Momentum in heroic which means adjusting your stats and it is probably a good idea to take both before taking Polearm Gamble.
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't think that this build works as well as intended.

err... that's a good point.

I saw mark of storms, but i don't any way of dealing lightning/thunder damage.
Perhaps a pocket full of Tempest Whetstone's.

Also want to toss out repel charge.  Very fun with punt builds.

guides
Power
my builds

Though it again drops the polearm side of things, I suggest looking into a staggering 3-headed flail +3 with a shield.  With the correct feat tree, your MBA will slide 5, prone, and slow.  That seems pretty win to me 

Though you may need to pickup that 3rd Paragon feat to make it 5 squares, or rushing cleet.  Eh, you'll survive to 12th 

_insert name here_
Select powers that allow you to push and slide. 

Take Polearm master as your Paragon Path at 11, which increases the distance anyone is pushed pulled or slid by your polearm by one. Get a lightning weapon of your choice, and mark of storms.

You can pick up spiked chain (proficiency), and get a 2h reach-flail, which meets all the prerequesites for polearm master. If you MC spiked chain, it counts as a light blade, so all your encounter powers that have spear/light blade riders will proc off of it.  
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I really appreciate it. So my DM and I got together and I have been talking to a couple people around here and this is what I've got so far... this actually goes well with the whole Baseball theme.

But I need to substitute a feat for Polearm Momentum, but I can't figure out which. I need your help!

Bron Skybreaker, level 11
Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Polearm Master
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 27 Fort: 24 Ref: 20 Will: 20
HP: 89 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Endurance +12, Intimidate +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +7, Insight +10, Nature +8, Perception +10, Religion +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +5, Thievery +8

POWERS
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Polearm Master Attack 11: Leveraging Strike

FEATS
Level 2: Polearm Expertise
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 8: Swift Spear
Level 11: Draconic Arrogance

ITEMS
Rushing Cleats x1
Controlling Greatspear +3 x1
Magic Wyvernscale Armor +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

Ditch either forceful opportunist or swift spear for polearm momentum.  Either one will prone on an opportunity attack so that's where your current redundancy is.  I would ditch forceful opportunist because as a fighter you should be keeping the target close rather than pushing it away.  Longarm student gives you an at-will push if you really need it for positioning purposes.  If you desperately desire forceful opportunist you can pick it up at 14, but you shouldn't because your next feat should be Impaling Spear for the accuracy boost.

But he's using Draconic Arrogance, so he wants to push more often than slide. In that case Swift Spear should be the one to go, not Forceful Opportunist.
But yeah, you're missing Polearm Momentum, fit that back in there.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I really appreciate it. So my DM and I got together and I have been talking to a couple people around here and this is what I've got so far... this actually goes well with the whole Baseball theme.

But I need to substitute a feat for Polearm Momentum, but I can't figure out which. I need your help!

Bron Skybreaker, level 11
Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Polearm Master
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 27 Fort: 24 Ref: 20 Will: 20
HP: 89 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Endurance +12, Intimidate +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +7, Insight +10, Nature +8, Perception +10, Religion +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +5, Thievery +8

POWERS
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Polearm Master Attack 11: Leveraging Strike

FEATS
Level 2: Polearm Expertise
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 8: Swift Spear
Level 11: Draconic Arrogance

ITEMS
Rushing Cleats x1
Controlling Greatspear +3 x1
Magic Wyvernscale Armor +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

You might want to look at Two Handed expertise instead of Polearm.

As a push-proner, this guy is probably gunna attract a lot of charges, especially since he doesn't slow. The bonus to defenses against them is better than a measly bonus to charge damage.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
Repel Charge.  He gets charged, gets an OA which can push and prone.  Unless the target can take actions after charging, he is done.
Doesn't he have polearm gamble for that already? Certainly, repel charge is better because you dont grant CA, but having two very redundant feats doesn't seem worth it when he doesn't even have scale spec or improved defenses yet.
Doesn't he have polearm gamble for that already? Certainly, repel charge is better because you dont grant CA, but having two very redundant feats doesn't seem worth it when he doesn't even have scale spec or improved defenses yet.

There are niche uses for it. PG doesn't trigger on teleport-charges, repel does. Remember if you prone something 2+ squares away, it usually has to stand and charge. That is its only option.

Antipathy gloves to deny shifting adjacent ought to be mentioned, as well.
Repel Charge triggers on a charge.  If the creature has reach and you have reach, if it stops at reach from a charge, you still get your OA.  Polearm Gamble does work on shifts but does nothing on a charge if they do not end up adjacent to you.
Ah, I see it's uses now. I keep forgetting that charges can still use reach, and didn't even know teleport charging was a thing monsters did. Thanks for enlightening me guys.
Repel Charge triggers on a charge.  If the creature has reach and you have reach, if it stops at reach from a charge, you still get your OA.  Polearm Gamble does work on shifts but does nothing on a charge if they do not end up adjacent to you.

*Twitch* PG does not work on a shift.

History lesson:

In the PHB OAs were provoked by leaving, not entering, squares.

PG triggered on entering a square. So it wasn't SvG. There was no rule to override, so even though the rules said "shifts don't provoke OAs", OAs only provoked by leaving. This was not RAI, straight from the guy who wrote PG, but was RAW.

RC made this crytal clear: Forced Movement, Shifting, et al, never provoke OAs that are triggered by movement. Since "Moving" is leaving one square to enter another and PG triggers off of entering, that is movement and hence cannot trigger PG.

That debate raged for years, was one of the longest standing arguments on these forums before the RC cleared up the rules.
Does draconic arrogance add its extra damage twice on a forceful opportunist attack that prones? Otherwise, I don't see DA as a reason to take forceful op. over swift spear.
Does draconic arrogance add its extra damage twice on a forceful opportunist attack that prones? Otherwise, I don't see DA as a reason to take forceful op. over swift spear.

Yes. Each push and each prone.
And if you combine draconic arrogance with iron vanguard PP, each push+prone would do str+con(push) and str+con(prone).
Sign In to post comments