krenko

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Built this deck for verhey's challenge this week (budget standard). It can kill on turn 4 with the combination of chieftain and krenko but can also make some synergies with the equipments if the game goes longer.

20 mountain
4 hellion crucible

4 goblin gaveleer
4 spikeshot elder
4 krenko's command
4 goblin wardriver
4 goblin chieftain
4 krenko, mob boss

4 goblin grenade
4 darksteel axe
4 ring of valkas

sideboard

4 corrosive gale
4 smelt
4 mark of mutiny
3 grafdigger's cage

What do you think? 

I don't like either of your equipment.  The ring is just painfully slow and the axe is just a little slower than I'd want.

Even if I liked your equipment running only 8 pieces makes Gaveleer pretty bad since you're not that likely to have both equipment and it available.  I don't think I'd like Gaveleer even with good equipment.

Where's Goblin Fireslinger?  He's pretty much built for this kind of thing.  As is Goblin Arsonist.

Mogg Flunkies might have a place as well.  They're undercosted and you're either going to have a lot of creatures on board or none, so their drawback shouldn't be relevant that much.  I'd probably want 2-3 copies.

Krenko is great and all, but I think he's either a 2-of or a 3-of.  He's legendary, so having it as a 4-of will bog down your hand a bit.

Basically, I'd cut the Gaveleers, 1-2 Krenkos, the equipment and add Fireslingers and Arsonists.  Then, you can either go with a creature heavy build (Flunkies) or a burn heavy build (Brimstone Volley or Bonfire of the Damned if you have any)
I don't like either of your equipment.  The ring is just painfully slow and the axe is just a little slower than I'd want.

Even if I liked your equipment running only 8 pieces makes Gaveleer pretty bad since you're not that likely to have both equipment and it available.  I don't think I'd like Gaveleer even with good equipment.

Where's Goblin Fireslinger?  He's pretty much built for this kind of thing.  As is Goblin Arsonist.

Mogg Flunkies might have a place as well.  They're undercosted and you're either going to have a lot of creatures on board or none, so their drawback shouldn't be relevant that much.  I'd probably want 2-3 copies.

Krenko is great and all, but I think he's either a 2-of or a 3-of.  He's legendary, so having it as a 4-of will bog down your hand a bit.

Basically, I'd cut the Gaveleers, 1-2 Krenkos, the equipment and add Fireslingers and Arsonists.  Then, you can either go with a creature heavy build (Flunkies) or a burn heavy build (Brimstone Volley or Bonfire of the Damned if you have any)

This. and also, 24 lands is too much if your curve stops at 4. Try 22. You should'nt need more than 2 Hellion Crucible ever.

@MadAdmiral: love the Fallout Avatar ^^

92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
I would go something like this.

Could probably replace the two Hellrider with the last two Krenko, Mob Boss if you want to maintain the full Goblin tribal feel, but I personally think having Hellrider is worth it.

Hellion Crucible could probably replaced with another colorless land. Cathedral of War seems like an option, but exalted may not work the best in a swarm style Goblin deck like this.

Contested War Zone could be an option as well. Hell, even something as notoriously bad as Haunted Fengraf could be worked in, since its not like this deck is going to be hurt much by sacing a land later on in the game.

Also, Cavern of Souls should you be playing in a countermagic heavy meta.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Would Burn at the Stake be good in a Krenko deck? or am I dreaming of Magical Christmasland again?
Would Burn at the Stake be good in a Krenko deck? or am I dreaming of Magical Christmasland again?

It's basically a red overrun, so I think it's worth testing if nothing else.
The only problem I have with Burn at the Stake is that you have to tap your creatures before you know if the spell is resolving.  While it's not likely to kill you outright, it would take away an attack phase if it gets countered.  For that reason, I think it should be avoided.  It could be brought in from the sideboard in a creature heavy matchup as a finisher, since you're not likely to get an attack through in the first place.

I like Eon's list above.  It's pretty concise and looks to be fairly stable.  I'm not sure on the distribution of 1-drops.  Havnig 11 of them seems correct, but I'm a little lower on Spikeshot Elder.  I think it would be my 3-of, not the Arsonist.  Arsonist + Grenade is pretty sick.  I'd also really like to fit a Bonfire of the Damned or two in there, as it's really good at clearing the board.

I would NOT play Cathedral of War.  This kind of deck isn't going to win by only attacking with one creature, so having a land that does that isn't going to be useful.

Fengraf is also a pretty bad idea as well.  It's just so slow and high variance.  Getting something back late game isn't really going to help you out all that much.

Cavern of Souls might be ok, but I don't think it's awesome in the deck, despite it being tribal.  Nearly all of your cards are interchangable, so having one countered isn't a big deal.  I would expect a control deck to sideboard most of them out.  If an opponent sees the Caverns, they are most certainly removing the counterspells.  If they don't see it, they might make a mistake and leave some in, which benefits you because they have more cards that aren't good against you in their deck.
I agree with MadAdmiral for the most part. Spikeshot Elder probably should be the 3 of rather than Goblin Arsonist, since outside of Goblin Chieftain there isn't any way to buff him to make his ability better than "ping for 1".

I left Bonfire of the Damned out of my build as I figure it is more of a SB card for the deck, but it could be just as easily squeezed in by dropping some of the other burn in the deck (Brimstone Volley most likely).

As for the colorless lands, none of the options are really that great to be honest. I pointed out how Cathedral of War probably wasn't the best for a swarm style deck like this, and I mentioned how Haunted Fengraf is an all around terrible card.

That being said, none of the colorless lands really provide much for the deck, even Cavern of Souls and Hellion Crucible hence why I mentioned the other lands, are they good? Not really, but then again neither are any of the other options really. Contested War Zone is probably the best colorless land out there for a deck like this, with Hellion Crucible coming in at second best.

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I think that list is fine, but I'd probably cut an Elder and a Blast for 2x Krenko.  Krenko gives you a live top deck if needed and if you ever get it out with a Chieftain in play, it's likely game over.

Also, I'm not sure how much I like Crucible as a 4-of.  There are a lot of heavy red spells/abilities, so having that many colorless lands is going to be a bit painful at times.  I'd probably play 3 at most.
I put this together the other day, got the Trumpet Blasts at the prerelease and they were such a good combat trick/finisher with such huge numbers of goblins swinging.
Trumpet Blast, Searing Spear and Reforge are all terrible.  Blast is just too expensive for too little effect, Spear is strictly worse than Incinerate and Reforge is only decent if you miracle it, in which case it might not be beneficial.

I think you absolutely want access to Spikeshot Elder, probably as a 3-of.  It's ability to finish out games can be pretty crucial.