Illegal cards?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have seen that there are some cards in magiccardmarked that are tagged as WCD (world championship decks) and they are so cheap. I'm not pro, so I play with my friends and some lil competitions in some local shops. I mean, have this cards the original size?

www.magiccardmarket.eu/City_of_Traitors_(WCD_1999_Kai_Budde).c1p249708.prod

They have the right size, but a gold border (instead of white or black) and a different back, so they aren't tournament legal. They are for collecting.

Maybe your casual playgroup will accept them as proxies for the real cards - just remember to use opaque sleeves so the different back is not visible.

EDIT: Found a good example. This is how the card looks like:

[<o>]

Only cards with white or black borders are legal for tournament play. They also must have the normal back-side (unless it's a double-faced card from the Innistrad block).

As for playing with your friends... Do whatever. But unless you use completely opaque sleeves, that card will stick out like a sore thumb. 

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

Ok, thanks for the info. Surely I use sleeves, in fact,  the sleeves are used for tournaments (because for example the Delver of Secrets has the creature on back).

Now I have it clear. aight
yes, DFC have to be either in opaque sleeves or with the placeholder card
proud member of the 2011 community team
As others have said, some of the cards are hard to find like Grim Monolith, Mirari's Wake, etc; and are perfect for playing in commander. Just make sure that it's okay with your playgroup, and don't go overboard with proxies.