The Virtural Table Moving to GameTable Online

72 posts / 0 new
Last post

As you may have heard, Wizards of the Coast has decided to stop hosting the Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table. I am here to let you know that GameTable Online is in the process of adopting the VT platform and are preparing to host it at our new RPG portal. GTO coded and developed the VT so we are very familiar with the platform and are excited to be going live with this roleplaying game application.

The anticipated name for the new VT will be RPGTable Online and we have claimed the URL address of www.rpgtableonline.com.  We have some work to do to prepare for the transition but expect to be back to hosting online RPG sessions by the end of July! The details are still be worked out but we will let you know how we envision the RPGTO moving forward.

A big concern for us was making sure that your existing VT Dungeons & Dragons campaigns are transferred to RPGTO. To transfer your active campaigns to RPGTable Online all you need to do is register at www.gametableonline.com before we go live and email your GTO User Name and VT Screen Name to support@gametableonline.com. When the transition to the GTO site goes forward, we will port them over so all of your campaigns will be waiting for you!

GTO has been hosting online board games, since 2003 so we know and love games. We are looking forward to the opportunity to expand our online games to include an RPG application.

Robert Eng, Vice-President GameTable Online

Thank you kindly, good Sir.

G
VTT REFUGEE GTO lifeboat passenger WOTC disappointed GMT+8
Thanks Rob for picking Vittie up ! Wink

I hope GTO will give her more luv than her predecessor. (More Tokens and Tiles etc...)

Very happy that you retained the Campaign Manager as is too.  Looking forward to play on your site ! 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Hey Rob,

This is great news on the back of the shock of the Broadcast telling us the VT was about to be closed down.   So thanks for that.  It might be too soon to say but do you plan/are you able to continue to support import of PCs and Monsters direct from our DDi accounts (whilst they remain valid)?

Cheers
Blakey

P.S.  I have registered my new account already!
Great news!

I am on GTO / RPGTable Online as "MorphoPracktix" IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/26.jpg)

Sounds good. Will we still be able to import characters and monsters?
Hey, that's a spot of good news! I wasn't able to use the VTT much because I was lucky enough to have local games (and unlucky in regards to my college friends wanting to game online), but having that option would be fantastic.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
ive registered. i also had a lot of questions emailed to the support email but havent heard back. please chack those emails and respond when you can, thanks
ive registered. i also had a lot of questions emailed to the support email but havent heard back. please chack those emails and respond when you can, thanks

When you get your replies, can you (within reason) post them here please?  I'm sure we'd all be very interested in the responses you get...

Cheers!

When you get your replies, can you (within reason) post them here please?  I'm sure we'd all be very interested in the responses you get...

Cheers!

i will more likely pm them to you bc i have some questions that i dont want wizards privy too. i consider wotc to be a churlish, spiteful lot, so i would hate to see them to seek to punish this other business
I hope this works! I just registered with Game Table Online. Thanks for seeing the obvious value of the VT. I hope you achieve great success with this.
i need to know if this is going to work with the tools. im guessing the campaign will have the monsters and pcs that are already on the table port over, but what about stored cloud pcs, cb pcs, at monsters, and tiles? 

also can we share adventures? upload our own images and tiles? how much will it cost? etc etc

i am still waiting on a respnse from the developer 
I personally assure you that we are listening to all of your questions and will answer them when and as we can. We are currently ironing out the legal arrangements with Wizards, coding the changes needed to make the transition, and trying to address the general user response to Wizards' closing message with our message of hope. A lot is going on but we have been fighting for the VT for some time. We will try to keep y'all posted and as of now, I am viewing this forum thread as our primary communication channel for moving the VT to RPGTO so stay subscribed!
Just chiming in to say I support GTO's move and will be very happy to see the VT survive.  TBH, I'll be happier with the VT in GTO's hands since WoTC has consistantly shown they don't really care about it (or us).

Rob, if you guys do this right, and give attention to the half a dozen to a dozen issues that we've been screaming about for over a year now, you'll find that your company suddenly has a sizable cult following.

Key items I see again and again:

- Exporting and sharing maps.  Exporting map packs as adventures would be icing on the cake but maps are the absolutely critical part.
- Importing images for maps and allowing a grid overlay.
- More tiles
- More tokens
- More robust drawing tools, in particular a freehand draw tool that doesn't destroy available table memory.
- More table memory
- Clean up of the severe table memory issues

And while this wasn't an issue for WotC it is a concern with GTO taking over:

- Integration with the DDI tools.

Nice to haves but nowhere near as critical as the above list:

- Custom tokens with image import.
- Custom tiles with image import.
I personally assure you that we are listening to all of your questions and will answer them when and as we can. We are currently ironing out the legal arrangements with Wizards, coding the changes needed to make the transition, and trying to address the general user response to Wizards' closing message with our message of hope. A lot is going on but we have been fighting for the VT for some time. We will try to keep y'all posted and as of now, I am viewing this forum thread as our primary communication channel for moving the VT to RPGTO.

rob. i pmed you and emailed/registered on the site. i just want to make sure that you guys know my handle on both sites is frothsof . i reallly dont want to lose my stuff, so please let me know as soon as you can ahead of time if there is going to be any kind of limit on the number of campaigns you will be able to port over. i am having to put all of my stuff on multiple open tables, i think its limited to 20-25 or so but i will have that many open when the switch happens so i dont lose all of my work.

if there are any other steps i need to take to make sure my campaigns arent lost, please tell me

also any updates on the monsters would be good, as im just pitifully loading all 547 pages of them onto a table for now

thanks for what youre doing. im going to load like 100 of my pcs on various campaigns over the rest of the week in hopes i will be able to store them thru your service later

as for the message of hope, dont you worry about that. if you can save us all of our work, allow us access to the tools, and do it at a reasonable price, then i promise you, we are going to blow you up
Great my dad is back from his phys rehab, I come back and read this mess

I have registered on the site and sent an email listing my registration name and this wizards display name (both are the same BTW,) I do hope to see this running ASAP, and am sorry this never worked out with Wizards. Like Froth, let us know if there is anything else we can do. 
rob. i pmed you and emailed/registered on the site. i just want to make sure that you guys know my handle on both sites is frothsof.

I did receive your registration information along with a lot of others. I will be storing them in a spreadsheet for the campaign porting. In the next week, I will create a forum thread at the GTO site that will be a living list of everyone who has signed up. I will post the link here and everyone who sent me an email or message can verify.

rob. i pmed you and emailed/registered on the site. i just want to make sure that you guys know my handle on both sites is frothsof.

I did receive your registration information along with a lot of others. I will be storing them in a spreadsheet for the campaign porting. In the next week, I will create a forum thread at the GTO site that will be a living list of everyone who has signed up. I will post the link here and everyone who sent me an email or message can verify.

youre the man. i am actively trying to get some support moving your way. the players and dms of the vt are behind you 100%!!!

community.wizards.com/dndbeta/go/thread/...
Hi RobEng,

Thanks for offering us a way to continue the VT. Before I sign up for GTO I just want to make sure that it will have monsters and characters like the old VT. Will we be able to continue importing characters from the character builder on the GTO VT? Will we still have all the monsters to import as DMs?

Thanks for your time,

Zaalnog 
ok I have just signed up and e-mailed. Thanks again for keeping the VT Alive.
We will try to keep y'all posted and as of now, I am viewing this forum thread as our primary communication channel for moving the VT to RPGTO so stay subscribed!

Thanks Rob.

If nobody already did, let me offer to you , Rory and all the GTO Team our gratitude with virtual Whiskey, Chocolate and Cigars  Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Sweet, I corresponded briefly with RobEng on GTO today.  I can't wait.

To all that is good and worthwhile.

Registered for GTO and email sent to support@gametableonline.com.

Thanks again Robert.
As many others have, allow me reiterate my thanks for keeping the table and many of our games alive.
As a new member I am really dissapointed in this, I literally got characters just this week into Character Builder preparing for VT and I hedged on DDI with a monthly rather than yearly sub just to make sure it all worked out first.  Character Builder was nice because it caught some rules that I had missed when I built the characters on paper from the books. Most online d20 systems would not have these detailed rule checks.

The main reason I selected VT versus others was the legacy of D&D art as I want the art to match my monster and tile kit, and my power cards to be exactly the same as in the character builder and PH.  I realize from reading posts that VT was lacking in the art/text/modules dept, and am hopeful that an art/text/modules license is offered to the GTO.  For every tile/icon pack that exists there should be VT art, for every dungeon/dragon module there should be art, for every book there should be text/art.   Maybe if GTO is paying a licensing fee rather than WOTC paying them as a subcontractor this will now be feasible. Am a bit concerned since porting of campaigns is mentioned, did that include characters and will existing art be available?  Is this a one time port or will there be a cloud link back to DDI?   Knowing answers to these questions is important for many in subbing for one or both of DDI and/or GTO.

I certainly would be willing to pay extra for art/text/modules packs if that is what it takes to keep GTO/VT updated - after all if I want them for pnp I have to go to the local game store and pay.  The competitors certainly do well selling such packs - but they ain't D&D proper - it is why I came here to begin with.

I understand this likely cannot be commented on while a deal is worked out, but I hope both sides realize this could be a win/win for both sides and players.

well said
You are a life saver in the middle of the scales of war campaign, and now it does not have to end at 15th.

Thanks a million, and looking forward to the new tables. 
Its great to be king, but better to be dungeon master
Glad to see that you're continuing the service beyond Wizard's support.  Expect to see me sign-up tonight.

David Foxfire (Gonterman) of Foxfire Studios http://foxfirestudios.net

Like those that have posted above, I have joined the GTO website, and forum; and I have sent an email asking to move my tables, as few as they are, to the new system when it goes live.

Jax
If you are one of the VT beta users who wants to transfer their campaigns over to RPGTable Online, I have posted a list of everyone who has given me their Wizards screen name and GTO username. That list can be found at www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic....

I will continue to patrol and answer questions on the Wizards forum board but I have started some forum boards in preparation for arrival of the RPGTable Online.
Should we point out if our username is misspelled on your list?
Should we point out if our username is misspelled on your list?

Sure but I see that i have one too many n's on your name.
are you going to be able to 'test' it before hand, at least just to see if you can 'see' our data to be sure you know you will be able to pull it over?

i apologize for my inabillity to be very technical. i just want to make sure you know this will work
Like those that have posted above, I have joined the GTO website, and forum; and I have sent an email asking to move my tables, as few as they are, to the new system when it goes live.

Jax

keep following up with him bc i dotn see you on the list so far

www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic....
I just want to say that I hope game table online pulls this off.  

WotC:  If you are reading this, I just want to say that I'm a big fan of DDI and VT.  4e seems to have been designed from the ground up to be played with computer aids and a virtual table integrated with the character builder and monster builder (and a map builder and treasure generator) is a great way to play it.  If a VT that is integrated with the character builder and monster builder dies, my subscription to DDI dies with it.  So please do everything you can to make this happen.

My group started a Scales of War campaign using the VT a few months back and we are really enjoying it.  I know at least 3 of my players signed up for DDI subscriptions just for this campaign.  Really disappointed that Wizards is letting this drop.

I hope that Wizards at least works with GTO to make the transition work.  Otherwise, this might be the final straw that pushes me to make the leap to Pathfinder. 
drbell48, you took the words from my mouth.  VT has been great, campagin has been running for  afew months and most people on my table got a ddi subscription for the VT.  I'll likely keep mine as i play PnP on a real table as well, but I feel for the new yearly subscribers on my table that don't have any other use for the ddi subscription.

are you going to be able to 'test' it before hand, at least just to see if you can 'see' our data to be sure you know you will be able to pull it over?

i apologize for my inabillity to be very technical. i just want to make sure you know this will work

As a fellow layperson, I am told that it will be a taking a copy of the VT data and reassigning it form Wizards' IDs to GTO IDs. I have some test campaigns so I will be the guinea pig. There will likely be a window of time when the VT access will be closed but still operating in the background. During that time we will make the transfer and I am guessing that we will not delete the VT data until we do the port and that will give us a 2nd chance. I have asked our programmer to try and put in an error report so we can see if the user ids don't match up on either side and we can try to fix those problems manually.

As a fellow layperson, I am told that it will be a taking a copy of the VT data and reassigning it form Wizards' IDs to GTO IDs. I have some test campaigns so I will be the guinea pig. There will likely be a window of time when the VT access will be closed but still operating in the background. During that time we will make the transfer and I am guessing that we will not delete the VT data until we do the port and that will give us a 2nd chance. I have asked our programmer to try and put in an error report so we can see if the user ids don't match up on either side and we can try to fix those problems manually.

thanks for the update. plz let us know when you figure out if we can stil use tiles, the tools, etc.

also any info about pricing, saving and sharing adventures etc

thanks again.
were getting near the end. is there any more info? tiles? tools? is there anything you can confirm?

Re: DDI REFUGEES

Postby RobEng » 24 Jul 2012 15:55

drbell48 wrote:Any new updates? Closing in on the end of the Wizards hosted table. Hoping for good news.

We are working hard here for the transition but I am afraid that we are still awaiting to get Wizards of the Coast to sign or give us feedback on the agreement we put together. We would like to give more information but also don't want to mislead y'all or anger the Wizards.