D&DNext going digital? -- Virtual Tabletop canned!

Many have expressed fears about D&D going the way of gadgets and bytes, but WotC has just officially pulled the plug on the D&D Virtual Table.

Citing a failure to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public, access to the VT will be coming to an end effective July 30th.

Bummer, man.

I wonder what this means for D&DNext? (If anything.) 

Danny

Citing a failure to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public, access to the VT will be coming to an end effective July 30th.

I.e. "We know there are free programs (maptools, roll20, openrpg) who perform the role of the VT much better than ours did."

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.

For fans of the VT, we are working on making it live on...

I am the Vice-President of GameTable Online and I am happy to say we will be adopting the VT platform and are currently preparing to host it at our new RPG portal. GTO coded and developed the VT so we are very familiar with the platform and are excited to be going live with this roleplaying game application.

The anticipated name for the new VT will be RPGTable Online and we have claimed the URL address of www.rpgtableonline.com.  We have some work to do to prepare for the transition but expect to be back to hosting online RPG sessions by the end of July!

A big concern for us was making sure that your existing VT Dungeons & Dragons campaigns are transferred to RPGTO. To transfer your active campaigns to RPGTable Online all you need to do is register at www.gametableonline.com before we go live and email your GTO User Name and VT Screen Name to support@gametableonline.com. When the transition to the RPGTO site goes forward, our plan is to port your content over so all of your campaigns will be waiting for you!

GTO has been hosting online board games, since 2003 so we know and love games. We are looking forward to the opportunity to expand our online games to include RPGs application.

Robert Eng

Robert Eng

Bless you!  The VT lets me play D&D with friends I would almost never be able to play with otherwise. 

Things are probably still up in the air, but what about the Character Builder and Monster Tools... will it still be able to import from those?

In any case, Thank You for saving this (and from the sound of it, creating it in the first place!).

I don't mind wizards not doing a VT - at is what Roll20 is for.

And let's face it, they can't even do forums that work well in all browsers, their VT by definition would be atrocious. 
My thoughts on what works and what doesn't in D&D and how D&D Next may benefit are detailed on my blog, Vorpal Thoughts.
Almost forgot about this. Ah yeah, I'm going to try to find a game. ^.^
I think they tried to much.

all you basicly need is :
voice chat
dice roler
optional battle grid.
optional calculator
a way to show pictures to other players ( character sheet)

they bit of more then needed with also trying to automate saves at end of turn initiative and the like.
if they stuck with just the 5 basics listed above thay would have a good to go system for any edition of DnD
but they bit off more then they could chew

I am the Vice-President of GameTable Online and I am happy to say we will be adopting the VT platform and are currently preparing to host it at our new RPG portal. GTO coded and developed the VT so we are very familiar with the platform and are excited to be going live with this roleplaying game application.

The anticipated name for the new VT will be RPGTable Online and we have claimed the URL address of www.rpgtableonline.com.  We have some work to do to prepare for the transition but expect to be back to hosting online RPG sessions by the end of July!

A big concern for us was making sure that your existing VT Dungeons & Dragons campaigns are transferred to RPGTO. To transfer your active campaigns to RPGTable Online all you need to do is register at www.gametableonline.com before we go live and email your GTO User Name and VT Screen Name to support@gametableonline.com. When the transition to the RPGTO site goes forward, our plan is to port your content over so all of your campaigns will be waiting for you!

GTO has been hosting online board games, since 2003 so we know and love games. We are looking forward to the opportunity to expand our online games to include RPGs application.

Robert Eng

There only one game on the gametableonline. Oh well, time to check out the other site. 
i think it is a typical case of IT design
IT design
I check the other website and it's worst. ( Don't look like a lot of people play D&D)

I wonder why it's so hard to find a game?

I'd rather see roll20 (and other tools) be able to import material from the dndnext character builder, encounter builder and other tools we might see.
Please collect and update the DND Next Community Wiki Page with your ideas and suggestions!
Take a look at my clarified ability scores And also my Houserules relevent to DNDNext
Many have expressed fears about D&D going the way of gadgets and bytes, but WotC has just officially pulled the plug on the D&D Virtual Table.

Bummer, man.

I wonder what this means for D&DNext? (If anything.) 

I'm not seeing anything on the web page about this? Where did you hear that? Link?

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

It was buried in the VT forums, which you can only access with an Insider subscription.  Nice way to shuffle it under the rug, guys.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
So far, only DDI subscribers have recieved notice of this via email.

This is a major blow in my confidence with D&D R&D. I have serious reservations of Next's ability to transition well both in a tabletop and virtual environment; 4E was designed to work with both and did not succeed, and the dev's lack of any word on the digital front for 5E does not fill me with any hope at all.

Yeah, pretty much.  I've been a rather ardent defender of their efforts, particularly the VT.  No more.

If Wiz is trying to alienate their most supportive community members by cutting out an entire community wholesale, then
I'd rather see roll20 (and other tools) be able to import material from the dndnext character builder, encounter builder and other tools we might see.

That would be nice.

Alternatively WOTC could allow gamers to write their own character builder.
DISCLAIMER: I never played 4ed, so I may misunderstand some of the rules.
it failed solely bc of wizards incompetence. no other reason.

for almost two years we have been telling wizards what they needed to do to make this successful. most of the steps would have been easy for them to do. more tiles. DUH wizards. DUH. more tokens. DUH wizards.

at the beginning of the beta, we could share adventures. this made it easy for new dms to pick up the tool. they took this away, shooting the learning curve into the stratosphere. DUMB wizards. DUMB.

rarely have i ever seen a company so poised to succeed then when 5e was announced. if they had anything but ROCKS for brains, they would have uploaded all of the test material and said 'HERE we made it EASY for you to test. you get a limited time access to the VT'. this would have started dozens of groups and turned them into paying customers. instead, we are reading enworld blog posts about people who havent even gotten to test it yet. FAIL. total failure.

it wasnt ironic that Paizo sent out a release that they will have a free VT on the same day that wizards cancelled theirs. its not ironic anymore, its expected. wizards cant pick money off a table, and paizo will im sure be a stunning smash in the vt world

vts are the future. osr people are using them more and more. wizards were in perfect position to take advantage of this. they could have locked in players for years by tying it to 5e. all they had to do was actually LISTEN to the testers. instead, what did we get. poor josh, i know he did his best but the reality is, they were secretive, they never responded to even BASIC questions.

i was in the 'vt sages' group. let me tell you guys what a pathetic joke it was. its me and plague basically asking them questions with no response. thats all it is.
Today virtual table is too expensive, but the tabletop is being used by langer number of people, and there is a place in the market of videogames.

I suposse something like D&D Insider for smartphones, the next generation of videconsoles (gamepads with screens) and tabletops could be possible.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Their "support" or lack thereof regarding marketing and promotion speaks for itself. 

Why bother having a subscription when all I get really is a CB and articles?

Nice job not supporting your customers through social media even with announcing this WoTC.  
Their "support" or lack thereof regarding marketing and promotion speaks for itself. 

Why bother having a subscription when all I get really is a CB and articles?

Nice job not supporting your customers through social media even with announcing this WoTC.  

I still haven't gotten the email.
And many of us won't. Josh "talking" about this through a "forum group subscription broadcast" which is what people meant by email if you were subscribed to that group is the ONLY alert you get.

Maybe next time around they should 1. develop the tools, 2. advertise the tools, 3. launch the tools and 4.  charge people to use the tools.  Just doing 2,4, half of 1 and 3 twice didn't seem to work out so well.

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Yeah, it's not an email, it's a broadcast from the VT group.  I don't have DDI anymore but they left me in the VTT test group for whatever reason.  I had a broadcast from Josh about this when I logged in.  If you haven't seen an 'email', you won't.  Check your broadcasts.  It should be there.  Of course, the only way to know that you got a broadcast is to check 'em and, since they don't happen often, most people don't. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Text of the e-mail:

You have a new broadcast on your site at The Wizards Community!

I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table  and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

I’ve removed content from this thread because forum disruption is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

We understand that people are upset but please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another and with Wizards of the Coasts decisions but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Agreed. We may be upset at the way the company is handling this, even end our Insider/Wizards D&D subscriptions, but we can do so civiliy, so please do everyone. 
I'm stunned that people are surprised. WotC and even TSR before it, have NEVER provided anything worthwhile that was digital. Even the current Character Builder and Monster Builder are pale, sickly imitations of what a good product could be and the Compendium, whilst useful, is still nowhere near what a decent search engine should be like.

What's more is that they use processes that are so unnecessarily convoluted that anyone new coming in can't adapt them to any other format and have to essentially start from scratch. The Compendium DB is a fine example of this, as is the dnd4e file format for the Character Builder. So they end up paying a premium in order to make a sub-standard product and then wonder why nobody likes it. 

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

It's a pity, on my D&D group we used it to build the background image of our maps, screen and print and send it to other more finished virtual tabletop software and work there.  I will have to look for another way of build the background image of them. (we have a DDI shared account, because the content we get thru DDI is so minimal it's hard to justify 6 people paying 10 bucks per month for it)

I doubt we will see support for a new VT by WotC for D&DNext...at this point, i think they don't care for the people that use those kind of tools to play (even the first rules of playtesting seems to indicate that).  From the playtests, D&DNext doesn't work as well as 4e does on VT (thought to be fair, 4e with maptools works marvelous) 
There is a petition to Wizards to keep VT on Insider. Sign it here I think it should stay on the DND website not some other site. Please sign the petition.
I'm stunned that people are surprised. WotC and even TSR before it, have NEVER provided anything worthwhile that was digital. Even the current Character Builder and Monster Builder are pale, sickly imitations of what a good product could be and the Compendium, whilst useful, is still nowhere near what a decent search engine should be like.

TSR produced the Core rules on CD which was a fantastic supplement especially considering what digital tools were like pre-2000.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
I hope it was canned (and kicked in GTO's way) because they are investing on a whole new suite of Digital Tools for DDN and that it wasnt the last attempt by the D&D franchise to produce a Virtual Table. 

I remembers rumors that a chinese studio was developping the Digital Tools for the new iterations of D&D. Anyone remember how the company was called ?  

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

It would be nice if any electronically created material could include stat blocks for characters and monsters in a usable format, perhaps in a glossary at the end.  That way, people can create parsers for the various online support tools like character creation tools.  
Having gone back to 3.5 edition, this VT was really the only reason I keep my ddi account open (I make the maps, snip them, and add to my Maptools for nightly games).
Without that, it looks like my subscription may be coming to an end ... again.
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
I hope it was canned (and kicked in GTO's way) because they are investing on a whole new suite of Digital Tools for DDN and that it wasnt the last attempt by the D&D franchise to produce a Virtual Table. 

I remembers rumors that a chinese studio was developping the Digital Tools for the new iterations of D&D. Anyone remember how the company was called ?  

That was for the neverwinter MMO, not for the D&D tools...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

For those searching for a virtual tabletop alternative, there are many choices available for you.

Here's quite a comprehensive list to go through rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/the-vts

My personal favorite is Fantasy Grounds.
Promising new VTT's in development are Tabletop Forge and Roll20.

Go choose your own and have fun gaming!

P.S. If anyone wants a free demo session of Fantasy Grounds, I am able to give them sometimes since I have the Ultimate license myself. You can find me from the unofficial FG2 chat under the nick XpressO at fg2.rpg-vault.net/

And let's face it, they can't even do forums that work well in all browsers, their VT by definition would be atrocious. 

Actually, the beta of the VT is really functional. Easy to use, does everything I have been able to think of for it to do, etc.

This is kind of a bummer.

It was also nice to have a central program that is already hooked up to the CB, MB and Compendium.

Very dissapointed.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

Actually, the beta of the VT is really functional. Easy to use, does everything I have been able to think of for it to do, etc.

It was also nice to have a central program that is already hooked up to the CB, MB and Compendium.

Very dissapointed.

There is a 3rd party created parser available for inputting DDI conent to a format Fantasy Grounds understands (check the post before yours to see what FG is). This way you can use and parse whatever content you own and content from DDI to use in your games in FG.

I think they tried to much.

all you basicly need is :
voice chat
dice roler
optional battle grid.
optional calculator
a way to show pictures to other players ( character sheet)

they bit of more then needed with also trying to automate saves at end of turn initiative and the like.
if they stuck with just the 5 basics listed above thay would have a good to go system for any edition of DnD
but they bit off more then they could chew

Just to clear things up, the VT never automated saves at the end of initiative.

What the VT had
1) Masterset tiles; Dungeon, Wilderness, City
2) The ability to import PCs and Monsters directly from CB/AT
3) Dice Rollers.  Basic "click what you want to roll and roll" types, and "/roll Xdyy" chat entry rollers.
4) Dice Macro pages, where you can enter whatever text you want, and the dice, like "Saving Throw 1d20"
5) Voice Chat
6) Calculator.  Not a popup one, but you could easily use the roller for addition/subtraction "/roll 24+194-17"
7) Cloud Storage. We could save so many PCs, Monsters, Maps, and Adventures on the Cloud.  (This was one of the sore points, since the cloud limited us, and we would much rather have been able to save these things to our Hard Drives.  Saving to our HDs limited us only by our own space.  We had the ability, they took it away and gave us limitations, severe limitations in some cases, with the cloud

8) Drawing Tools.  They were basic, they were memory hogs, but we had them.  We would have liked better
9) Campaign Manager.  a Place where people could see a list of games they were a part of, the start times/dates, etc.  The CM was also a sore point, since as soon as a game would fill up, it would disappear from the CM (unless you were a part of it), and people would log in, see a blank CM, and think the VT was inactive.  We pushed and pushed for them to make it so that people could see a list of all of the full, and currently happening games, which would have presented an accurate view of just how busy the VT was to people.  Also, people could have browsed full games, and sent Private Messages to the DMs, requesting to be put on a standby list in case someone didn't show up, or maybe to spectate so that they could get the hang of the VT.

10) Forums.  The Forums were the best place to post about upcoming games, and to find upcoming games.  It let DMs post any allowances/restrictions, and if people made the effort to post character ideas, then they probably actually wanted to play.  Relying on the CM to fill games typically left a DM with no players, because people (who had no intention of every playing) would join and full up the slots, dropping that game off the CM.

11) Community Chat.  Okay, this sucked.  It kicked you out if you inactive longer than 20-30 seconds.  People would log in to an empty room, ask questions, then get kicked out.  Luckily, someone set up an IRC Chat, which we linked to in the forums.  Many VT members have been logged into the IRC chat through most hours of the day, 7 days a week.  We were there, and when people found their way into the IRC chat, we were there to answer questions, help people, provide community service.. to replace the customer service wotc was neglecting with such a shoddy chat system.

12) Dice Automation.  Within individual powers, you had "attack" lines, "Damage" lines, and "other" lines.  Click an "Attack" line, and then you could click your targets and roll, and it would compare your roll vs the defense and show whether it was a hit or miss.  Do this vs multiple targets for bursts/AOES.  Then, click Damage, and there was 1 button that would apply damage to all "HIT" targets, and not vs "MISSED" targets.  You could also select each enemy to mark Half damage, in case of weakened, or 1/2 on a miss, or even Max Damage for Crits, etc (though most of us had Crit damage lines"

So that is what we had.  With the exception of the character/monster sheet formats, I think they could have publicized the heck out of the VT for 5e playtest.  Someone could have made a custom map for the caves of chaos module, and loaded it into the pre-made module/event sections.  They could have promoted VT and Playtest from the beginning, instead of explicitly saying "no D&Dnext playtest on the VT!"  Our community is able to use the "notes" section of the character sheet to type in all the details from the 5e character sheets.. or heck, whoever set up the adventure could have pre-generated some chartacter sheets with eerything already copy/pasted.  All Playtesters who were not DDI members could have been given access to the VT for playtesting, even if it was only limited/temporary access.  the VT could have had it's format tweaked slightly (there has always been an edition selector) so that one could "select" 5e, and have the character/monster sheets formatted for 5e, and the VT could have been directly linked with 5e, and moving side by side into the future of the next edition together.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Does this mean they are also canceling that Character Picture program they also promised at 4e's launch?  That's what I was really hoping for.

Very dissapointed.

There is a 3rd party created parser available for inputting DDI conent to a format Fantasy Grounds understands (check the post before yours to see what FG is). This way you can use and parse whatever content you own and content from DDI to use in your games in FG.

Yay, I can use a third party program to interact with another third party program to do the most useful thing (for me) that the VT did automatically, with no fuss whatsoever....

I don't mean to snark, but, the fact is that the VT was functional, and had advantages over third party products, and it sucks that it's getting ditched.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
About three or four years ago there were very upset customers that argued Wizards should have never promised a VT table in the back of the 4e books.  Many defenders rallied stating they promised no such thing (even though there is a clear advertisement for the VT in the back of 4e books).  A select few hinted that it would never get done.  Wizards showed off their new software at GenCon.  I shook my head.

About two years ago an angrier group of customers threatened to boycott.  They had waited two to three years for this software program and insisted that was the only reason they had a DDi account and bought the 4e books.  Defenders rallied again stating the complexity of the issue, the lack of workforce, and making sure the product is the best it can be.  A select few hinted that this would become vapor-ware.  Wizards stated they were working out the kinks.  I held out hope for the company. 

One year ago people had dropped it.  They were tired of being upset over something that a company had promised them, yet never delivered.  When a rare thread did come about, defenders quickly gathered stating a number of excuses: legal reasons, a big software glitch, and some even touted: "You can't always believe what you read in an advertisement."  Others still, boldly pointed to the Beta as an example of how far it had come along.  Again, a select few now promised the VT would never come to fruition.  Wizards kept quiet.  I felt sick to my stomach.

And now we have the truth.  Be it angry customer, blind fanboy, or constant skeptic.  I just hope I can learn my lesson.  Frown