Thrown weapons: STR or DEX?

Do throwable melee weapons use the same stat for attack and damage bonuses when thrown?

For example, when wielding a hand axe in melee, one uses STR. Do they use STR for throwning attacks as well?

How about the dagger? Would the wielder have the choice of using STR or DEX for throwing attacks, just as they would in melee?

On the subject of weapons:
Are heavy crossbows really supposed to use STR for attack and damage?
Why would anyone use a rapier over a short sword? 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/7.jpg)

Purely by the rules, you'd use the same stat to throw as in melee.  I think that's kind of silly sometimes, but yeah, that's the current rule (or lack thereof).

As far as the Crossbow goes--it really does use Strength, but I'm fairly confident that it is a typo and should be Dex.  If I had to guess, they're going to go back and declare certain thrown weapons use Dex and others use Strength, but all projectile weapons will use Dex.

On the issue of the Rapier/Shortsword--why does it matter?  Why can't they be equal?  Some people will use a Rapier, some a short sword.  No big deal. 
Personally I'm fine with offering the better of STR/DEX for thrown weapons. As to the heavy crossbow, they could have simply ditched logic altogether and decided to make it function on STR simply to offer the STR based classes a mechanically functional ranged weapon.

Or, they could be assuming that the heavy crossbow isn't just a typical crossbow with a very heavy pull, but instead as something like a gastraphetes. A truly humongous device that it takes a greater deal of STR to manipulate and support with stability. Still a shaky justification, but I'm reaching.
I like that missile are a lot based on strength, nothing is less challenging than an ogre that cant melee you and has to rely on its dex (say in 3.5/PF) to throw stuff

im ok with str for crossbows too.

Q: do these things make the game more interesting, fun and increase options
A: yes they do

more please
   The bonus should reflect the gameplay style and trope you're trying to enforce.

If you want moslty agile Rogue types being the only ones that use thrown weapons, including throwing axes, then Dex.  If you want the Dwarf fighter or a Barbarian to use them, you have to provide a Str (or some other) bonus.

Same deal with crossbows.  I have no problem with STR on crossbows if it means that the weapon is attractive to Str based melee classes. Personally though, I'd be more inclined towards simply making the crossbow do more damage than bows without regard for the character's Str or Dex score.  That makes it a potentially attractive back up ranged weapon for all classes. 
   The bonus should reflect the gameplay style and trope you're trying to enforce.

If you want moslty agile Rogue types being the only ones that use thrown weapons, including throwing axes, then Dex.  If you want the Dwarf fighter or a Barbarian to use them, you have to provide a Str (or some other) bonus.

Same deal with crossbows.  I have no problem with STR on crossbows if it means that the weapon is attractive to Str based melee classes. Personally though, I'd be more inclined towards simply making the crossbow do more damage than bows without regard for the character's Str or Dex score.  That makes it a potentially attractive back up ranged weapon for all classes. 

Then you end up with a different set of implications... if crossbows do a competitive amount of base dmg, without requiring attribute bonuses to put them on par, then any mook who grabs one becomes quite dangerous. It's realistic, but it also heavily shifts the balance of encounters, particularly in the new 'bounded accuracy' paradigm.