Book Club Discussion - Mistshore - Introductions & Questions

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello again, and welcome to our (lucky) 13th Book Club discussion!  I'm thrilled to welcome back two-time Book Club veteran Jaleigh Johnson.  Jaleigh joined us in the past for back-to-back discussions of Unbroken Chain and Unbroken Chain: The Darker Road, which I thought were some of the most thought provoking and interesting discussions we've had.  She's also the author of the Realms novel The Howling Delve.

This time around, we'll be discussing Mistshore from the Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep series.  We've read a number of books from the series so far, so I don't think we'll be disappointed.  You can pick this book up in a few formats: The original paperback just went out of print, but there are still several copies available online and in stores; you can pick it up as one of the two Waterdeep omnibus editions put out more recently; or there's always the eBook version.

What makes this more exciting is that Jaleigh has a novel coming out in a few months, Spider & Stone, that will mark a return to some of the characters from Mistshore.  It's also part of the whole Rise of the Underdark theme that's going on at Wizards this year.

We'll be starting the discussion of the first few chapters on Monday, July 16th, so pick up your copy before then and get ready to go back to Waterdeep.  In the meantime, stop by and let us know you'll be participating, welcome Jaleigh back, and ask any questions you might have.  If you're new to the book club, we'll be discussing around 50 pages a week, with a new forum going up each week.

Welcome to any new readers, and welcome back to everyone else!

Thanks, dado, it's good to be back!

I'm excited for this one.  Mistshore has special significance for me as a fan of the Realms.  Also, this book was just flat-out fun to write, I mean in a giggling-to-myself-while-I'm-typing sort of way.  

Like last time, I'd love to do some kind of book giveaway for all the participants.  My original thought was to give away a copy of Spider and Stone when it's released, but I realize some or all of you may be reading paperbacks, and Spider and Stone is ebook only.  So if I could get a show of hands--how many of you are reading Mistshore in paperback and how many will be using an e-reader?  And like dado said, if you have any questions for me, fire away.
Hi dado, Jaleigh, all,

I joined the D&D community a while back, but this will be the first time I participe in a discussion, and I am very excited that we will be talking about Mistshore. I read it as an ebook. I still prefer paperbacks and hardcovers, but I am happy that I will still be able to read Spider and Stone on my iPad when it comes out.
Hello all!  I hope the summer is going well and our friends back East are staying cool.  

I'm having fun playing in the current season of D&D Encounters.  I also got the green light to share I was part of the "friends and family" playtest for DnD Next.  We had some early input into the system that became the wider/open playtest that is now available to anyone who signs up.  It was a fun experience but I'm not actively doing any playtesting at this time.  Honestly, I'm just tired of D&D (the RPG) having a major or minor reboot every few years.  I have limited time for RPGs so I'd rather learn just one set of rules and play it for as long as possible! Oh well...

In other news, I'm doing some stand-up paddleboarding this summer.  It's a great sport/activity.  I go in the Puget Sound with beautiful views and a variety of marine life.        

My wife and I just finished watching season one of Game of Thrones.  It is fanstastic and I can't imagine anyone on this forum would not love it.  Highly, highly recommended.      

The most exciting news is my little girl is walking now! It took her 16 months but now she's a pro. She gets into everything around the house which is the most wonderful, yet frustrating, experience ever.  Attached is a picture for Jaleigh and my fellow readers.  You can see she's excited about Mistshore just like I am!!

ahhh what a cutie! She will grow up fast on you. my little one starts kindergarten next month. I can't believe she is already starting school, she is only 5 yet she is already 4 ft 2(she is really tall for her age), she has a little attitude now, she is so smart and such a people person. Before you know it that little girl of yours will be asking to borrow the car and you will be thinking "didn't she just start walking"?

My daughter is named Seraphim, so I just built an angel magic the gathering deck that has seraph angels, seraph sanctuary etc. hehe...anyways...I am going off on a Mommy tangent.
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Hi everyone. I am excited to get back into another book with all of you. I had a great time reading Brimstone Angels and digesting all of the feedback that everyone shared on these message boards. I am trying to get my brother to join in since he likes the Forgotten Realms novels almost as much as I do, but no luck yet.

Goldpiece - That is a great pic!! I remember when my guys were that little. I would always say "I can't wait until they can walk." Then it was "I can't wait until they can run and play." Now my boys are 15 and 11 and I feel like I wished the years away. So my advice is enjoy these years becasue they do fly right by and you can't get them back. One of my biggest regrets was not carrying a camcorder with me everywhere I went so that I would be able to sit back and relive the memories someday. 

Lupa- The first day of school. What an incredible moment for a parent. Prepare for the emotional rollercoaster that comes with it. I remember putting my oldest son on that bus like it was just a few weeks ago. Of course the fact that it was 9/11/2001 probably helped to cement that moment into my memory. 

Jules - Welcome to the family. I hope that your first experience with the book club will be a good as mine was.

Jaleigh - I am reading Mistshore in the paperback only because I bought the Waterdeep Omnibus when my local Borders was going out of business. I may get the ebook version though because if I doze off while reading one night and drop the Omnibus on my face it may actually hurt quite a bit. 

Yes, another gold piece baby photo!  it's like the discussion can't begin in my mind until we see a photo of her smiling face holding the next book.  I just had this vision of the Book Club continuing on and on and gold piece's daughter saying: "No dad, I'm not taking another picture with one of your books!"

Jaleigh - I'm reading a paperback copy I bought a while ago.  I have a problem with collecting too many books... My wife is trying to remedy that.  I have a Nook touch now and do read some new books on it.  We actually read Shadowbane in the Book Club, which was eBook only.

One question - I'm excited to start reading about Icelin, both here and in Spider & Stone, but any plans for Ashok and the Unbroken Chain crew?  Any chance you'd merge some of the characters from these casts at some point?
Hello again everyone, welcome Jules, and welcome back Jaleigh!

I'll be reading Mistshore in the omnibus version, but I'm ebook compatible, thanks to the iPad.  I may get a Kindle at some point soon, as I'm getting jealous of my wife's Kindle + Audible combo.  Speaking of my wife, she had the same problem Mordrim described above before getting her Kindle; only for her, it was the hardcover of A Dance With Dragons, which was significantly painful.
Just bought the Kindle version from the Amazon store--assuming that Kindlegraphs will be available soon [hint-hint] I wish I could get a better view of the cover--looks like a very cool sewer landscape, right?

Who did the art?

Very much looking foreword to another trip to Waterdeep. Has anyone reached out to Ed & let him know that we are doing this? I think it would be very fun to read along with the CREATOR!

@Gold_Piece, Your daughter is the official Mascot of this group! Paddleboarding is awesome! I went surfing with my nine year old Kate in Newport Beach this morning. Someone dropped in on her & dropped TWO fins through the top of her deck. 

She is fine & mostly upset that someone ruined her favorite surf sticker!

In any event, I am still trying to finish up the last Monster Book from the Vaginal Fantasy Hangout Reading Club, Kusheil's Dart [which is REALLY awesome--kind of an S&M Game of Thrones with Angels], but I should be caught up by Monday!

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game

Jules, welcome!  I'm glad you're excited about Mistshore.  We're all pretty laid back here, and anything's fair game for questions.  I hope you enjoy the discussion.

Gold piece, your daughter is adorable as always.  I can't believe she's a year older...yet I haven't aged a day...hmm.  The paddleboarding sounds like a lot of fun.  

Mordrim, welcome, and tell your brother he's always welcome too.  Yeah it would not be fun taking an omnibus to the face--guess we should have included a safety warning with that book, heh.  I had the same trouble when I was reading Middlemarch.  That thing is a brick, and the text is tiny.  I gave up and got it on my Nook.

Dado, given the choice, I would probably keep the two casts separate, at least for now.  Ashok has enough problems to worry about without throwing Icelin into the mix.  As for the elusive third shadar-kai book, I'm afraid I don't have any new information there yet--right now I'm finishing up the last of the work on Spider and Stone, so there hasn't been time to talk about future projects--but I'm still hopeful it will happen.

Gemini, welcome back!  Your wife has my sympathies.  A Dance With Dragons is a deadly hardcover.  Handle with care.

David, good to see you again!  Kindlegraphs, huh? I'll look into it if it's something people are interested in?  Lol, I'm so behind on technology.  I just got my Nook at Christmas, I'm skyping for the very first time tomorrow, and I got my first smartphone yesterday.  Don't get me wrong, it's all cool, but it makes me feel old.  And I'm not old!  ;)

The cover is a view of Mistshore itself, which is on the harbor...although sewer is a pretty accurate description too.  Lots of unwanted things end up in Mistshore.  Andrew (Android) Jones did the artwork.  If I had to choose a favorite of all my covers, it would probably be this one.  I would love to have a huge print of it for my wall. Yes, that's right, I said I want a print of a huge sewer on my wall! ;) 

I believe Ed does know about the book club, but he maintains a crazy busy schedule (seriously, his schedule would kill me), so I doubt he'd be able to follow along here.  He does answer Realmslore questions on the forums at Candlekeep.com through a third party, so if you have any specific questions about the series, you could direct them through those forums.  

Thanks for the welcome. It's hard to find people where I live at the moment who share my passion for D&D and the Forgotten Realms. So I'm really glad I found this group.

Thanks all for the kind words about Isabel (my daughter.)  I look forward to finding some adventure/fantasy books with her in the upcoming years. 

Special welcome to Jules and any other new readers joining us.  Glad to have you!  
ahhh what a cutie! She will grow up fast on you. my little one starts kindergarten next month. I can't believe she is already starting school, she is only 5 yet she is already 4 ft 2(she is really tall for her age), she has a little attitude now, she is so smart and such a people person. Before you know it that little girl of yours will be asking to borrow the car and you will be thinking "didn't she just start walking"?

My daughter is named Seraphim, so I just built an angel magic the gathering deck that has seraph angels, seraph sanctuary etc. hehe...anyways...I am going off on a Mommy tangent.

The first day of school must be an amazing experience! I will cry. I just know it. I got a little teary the first day of daycare – even though my wife was in the same building as Isabel.  Sending her off to a big school on her own will be quite an experience.

Mordrim – I know what you mean about the “I can’t wait until…” thoughts.  I try to focus on the present instead of always thinking about the future.

I must admit – I *never* bought lottery tickets until Isabel was born.  I liked my job okay and didn’t want to waste my money.  Now that I have a little girl I’d do anything to be able to take a few years off and just spend time with her and teach her what I know.  So I buy a ticket once a week or so and cross my fingers… 

Hi there - I'll be joining in again, reading the omnibus edition of Mistshore. I tend to prefer ebooks nowadays, but availability issues mean that WotC ebooks have been rather harder to get hold of. I haven't tried the tip posted in the 'Reading Schedule' thread yet, though - will have to give that a go at some point.
So if I could get a show of hands--how many of you are reading Mistshore in paperback and how many will be using an e-reader?

I read it as paperback as I am also a collector and every FR novel becomes decoration after I read it. Thus I deeply sadened when novels are ebook only.

Mirtek, I can sympathize.  I have a section of my desk set aside for all my published novels--can't add an ebook to it, alas.  I can't help loving my Nook though, so I'm torn.  I'd love to have both.
Sign In to post comments