M13 draft 1!

660 posts / 0 new
Last post
I will vote for Hero.

Geyser would be good too, but I think we're passing some other playable red cards, but not doing that with white.

Hero of the Day!
easy hero.
Lots of good removal in the set that kills hero, who needs a full turn out to use and when the opp doesn't have a fatty he is just a 1/1. I would rather have Geyser.
I would go for the Phantasm simply because it's an evasive one drop. Sure your oppenent may never have ten cards in the grave yard but you can block a threatinging fatty or slap on some enchantments or a ring.

I would also consider Downpour and Essence Drain as they are decent control at common.
Geyser in this format is really good.  I like the hero, but there is a lot that kills it.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
are we really discussing taking something that isn't an instant-speed fireball over something that is?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Yes, double-Red is pretty bad, as Red overall seems pretty bad.

I would probably take the Intrepid Hero to try him out, the format seems slow enough that he might actually make an impact. But I think the safest pick here is Essence Drain. Black strikes me as the strongest color in M13, and moving in on it early in a pack filled with good, but not bomby, cards in other colors seems like a good plan.

Also, I'm going to leave civilization behind for something like a month from tomorrow, so you might not see a lot of me around in the coming weeks. I hope you guys can manage
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
On a personal level, I'd take the Hero, I have a soft spot for white weenie.

Though, I think the forum is correct in saying that the Geyser is the correct pick, so count that vote however you like, by personal preference or by what's probably correct.

Sad to see you heading out Lobster, you're debates with Bobus are one of the best reasons to come to the forum, both of you have excellent insight while coming from slightly different playstyles I feel like.  Going to miss watching you two butt heads, especially with M13 just released.  Hope you enjoy your trip.

I'll keep your advice on black in mind when I draft this Friday.  Right now I think that Rancor/Wolves and B/W exhalted are the only two draftable archtypes I'm aware of.  Unless you pull Jace in which case, mill, mill, mill.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Geyser. I don't even think it's that close for me TBH.
I wouldn't even consider Intrepid Hero. For me it is between Essence Drain and Volcanic Geyser. I've always liked cards like Essence Drain because they have the utility of burn, and also allow you to recover while behind. That said, one is an X spell (and an instant!), and the other is not. Geyser it is.
How is Intrepid Hero not the choice here? It is clearly a first pick rare, splashable and repeatable removal can completely take over a game. This one should be a no-brainer.
Don't forget Hero can mow down pretty much anything that has benefitted from multiple exalted triggers.  It's definitely my pick here.

Going through what has been suggested already:

Phantasm was always pretty bad outside the mill deck.  And there isn't really a mill deck without a Jace, Sands of Delirium or a ton of the common mill cards.  Yes, a 1/1 with flying for 1 is good in most formats, but in a format where every attacker is probably getting exalted triggers, thus leaving back some large blockers, it gets relegated to chump blocking duty pretty fast.

Drain is pretty good and killes most of the creatures in the format.  If there wasn't repeatable removal in the pack, it'd be the pick.

Volcanic Geyser is ok, but a lot of creatures in the format aren't that big, so an X removal spell isn't that useful against them.  Also, red seemed pretty weak to me at the pre-release, so I don't think we want to immediately commit to red right away.
3 choices here in my opinion.

Essence Drain - solid, dependable and splashable removal
Geyser - red intensive but instant speed removal.  It's not however Fireball or anything close to it.
Hero - keep the big boys off the table but die to absolutely everything.

I think I would take the Essence Drain here.

I'm reconsidering my vote. I just looked again and Hero is , I thought he was . Also I'm not really the kind of person who likes to take color intensive cards first, in fact I play three color decks quite often. If it were Fireball that would make things incredibly easy, but I don't think I can commit that much to a color for a slow burn spell. Essence Drain is definitely more my style than Hero, but I think Hero is probably powerful enough to warrent taking over it.

1: Intrepid Hero
2: Essence Drain
3: Volcanic Gyser
Geyser or Hero. Keep in mind that whoever gets the pack next is likely grabbing whichever of the two is passed.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Geyser or Hero. Keep in mind that whoever gets the pack next is likely grabbing whichever of the two is passed.

Well, let no. 2 and 3 fight over those and pick the Drain, it's better than both of them. I don't see what people like about the Hero: 1/1s for 1 are generally unplayable, 1/1s for 3...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

Well, let no. 2 and 3 fight over those and pick the Drain, it's better than both of them. I don't see what people like about the Hero: 1/1s for 1 are generally unplayable, 1/1s for 3...

But re-usable removal for 3 is really, really good. Yes, that 1/1 body and summoning sickness are nasty drawbacks. But re-usable removal in limited is nuts.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

1/1s without a relevant ability are unplayable.  However, this 1/1 has a very, very relevant ability.  How about Arms Dealer or Rummaging Goblin?  Are they unplayable?  Of course not because they have good abilities attached to them.  The same thing is true here.
Hero. Nuking a fatty a turn = pretty swell. As others have mentioned, it is easily splashable.

Runner up goes to Geyser. Instant speed fireball is never bad. 

It is not a Fireball!  It is a Blaze for one more.  Fireball was great because it could target multiple creatures
All the more reason to take Hero?

It is not a Fireball!  It is a Blaze for one more.  Fireball was great because it could target multiple creatures

I've never actually used Fireball to kill multiple creatures. I have used it to kill a single 1/1 however!

I've never actually used Fireball to kill multiple creatures. I have used it to kill a single 1/1 however!

I've used it to nuke multiple X/1's or even a pair of X/2's, but only in limited. Back in the day, I watched a friend who was bad at math screw up trying to kill two opponents at once with Fireball.

Still, I prefer Fireball to Blaze. The option to nuke multiple small fries for a little extra mana is nice.

Arms Dealer is good because he can be used immidiately upon hitting the battlefield, and Rummaging Goblin is really mediocre. You're not convincing me by comparing my pick of Essence Drain to something like Rummaging Goblin.

I know the Hero can be good, but it's not good in every deck, it's not good against every deck, and it is very unreliable. Essence Drain is good in every deck, good against every deck, and very reliable.

It's also better than the Geyser unless you are going to die before hitting 5 mana or have more than 8 lands in the late-game without anything else to spend your mana on.
It's also better than the Geyser unless you are going to die before hitting 5 mana or have more than 8 lands in the late-game without anything else to spend your mana on.

I've seen both happen. Hell, prerelease this past weekend, I've got a Swamp and three Mountains on the board, and I'm getting killed because I can't deal with one of my opponent's creatures. And in my hand is a Murder and a Turn to Slag.

BTW, I also saw an opponent drop a Hero against me, it slowed me down for several turn, simply because there were plays I wanted to make but couldn't without getting my creatures killed. (Yeah, I refused to put a ring on my Canyon Minotaurs with that thing sitting there.)

I kind of see what Lobster is saying. I think picking Hero will make us really want to be , but that's not bad at all, and it's not like we're forced to go . I can't see a deck that doesn't want Essence Drain.

Hero:
Doesn't work as well in certain kinds of decks.
Hosed by Chandra's Fury, Crippling Blight, Flames of the Firebrand, and Cower in Fear.
Slower if top decked.
Less mana.
Deals with bombs and fat. 
Reusable. 

Essence Drain:
Not a creature. (Generally a downside in limited, but definitely an upside in this case.)
Five mana.
Can provide instant stabilization.
Can deal with a wider selection of threats.
Reach.

My goodness, was Royal Assassin unplayable? Because I went x-2 day 1 of a Grand Prix based mainly on the strength of that card and the Blinding Mage backup.

I like Intrepid Hero slightly less than Royal Assassin, but I like Volcanic Geyser a lot less than Fireball. I think the key here is that if it isn't killed, the Hero will completely take over the game, forcing your opponent to keep all 4+ power creatures in their hand until they draw removal for it. In addition, due to the lower color commitment, Hero can be splashed into any deck. The Gyser on the other hand, is single target, unsplahable removal.

Plus, wouldn't Intrepid Hero and Rancor be a fun combo?

I assume you mean put the Rancor on their creatures so that they had the requisite power and then kill them?

I assume you mean put the Rancor on their creatures so that they had the requisite power and then kill them?

Exactly, it's not limited to your own creatures. Although the Hero by itself should probably be a win. Either your opponent removes it, or they never have a creature with more than 3 power again. No exalted attacks, no put a counter on my creature every turn due to a ring. Everything with 4 or more power dies. With the Royal Assassin your opponent could at least play out all of their creatures, with the Hero the best strategy is to hold them until you draw removal, but that presents problems by itself.

Now that I think about it, Intrepid Hero is probably the best answer to Rancor in the set.
My goodness, was Royal Assassin unplayable?

No but this is not Royal Assassin and we are not drafting M12.

It's not that the hero isn't good; It's the second best card in the pack. But Drain is better, and is in a better color. That makes it the pick.

How much utility do you get out of Hero in a normal game? There is going to be some amount of games where he dies before he comes online, and there's going to be some games where he doesn't affect the board at all. Then there's going to be some games where he kills a creature or perhaps two and impedes your opponent's development, which is great, but arguably a bit slow; It needs a good follow-up play. And it's horrible as a topdeck if you're behind.

Drain on the other hand is always welcome. I happily splashed two of them (along with a Rise from the Grave) at my prerelease sealed (off a Farseek, two Evolving Wilds and a single swamp - and that's w/ another splash color off a single mountain as well), and every time I cast one, it was awesome. Even in the games I ended up losing, it bought me a ton of time, probably more than a Zombie Goliath or another average 5-drop body, and certainly more than a slow card like Hero or, for that sake, Royal Assassin.
You're right about it not being Royal Assassin.  I think it's easily better.

Black is not a better color than white.  I like white a lot better in this format.

Hero is going to useful in the vast majority of games.  Are there going to be times when it's not great?  Absolutely.  However, it's a one-card hoser for a lot of major strategies.  Exalted?  Unusable until they deal with the Hero.  Green fatties?  Uncastable until they deal with the Hero.  Any late game bomb?  Dead unless they deal with the Hero.

Drain is fine, but it's not nearly as good as Hero.  Sure, it kills some of the big guys in the format, but there are a lot of very relevant X/4+ creatures it just doesn't kill.  Sure, you could send it to the face at that point, but not being able to kill a Serra Angel is going to make life difficult with Drain.  Unless the opponent is at 3 life, Draining them isn't going to be good.  Is Drain decent removal?  Absolutely, but it's no Murder.  There are a lot of threats it can't deal with.
Tough call, but I think I am on the Hero team.
I have no idea why the other player first picked what he did. 

My best guess was it was either a Murder or a really good foil card. Keep an eye out for black drying up fast as way to confirm or deny the Murder guess.

I'm leaning towards the Divine Verdict, considering we first picked the Hero. Maybe the Griffin. The Specter isn't nearly as good in limited as constructed, but it is still solid. The Specter worries me slightly, because we did pass that Essence Drain.

I'm throwing my vote behind the Verdict.

Outside of the Specter,

I like the Beetle, Elf, Griffon and Verdict.

Have to go with the removal though, take the Verdict.  Maybe we should push for W/U flyers.

My guess is also a first pick Murder
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Definitely a first pick Murder or a foil bomb rare.

I'm torn between Specter and Verdict.  I was originally thinking we take Verdict to stay on color.  However, Specter keeps looking better each time I read it.  The only reason I hesitate on Specter is that by 4 mana, a 2/2 flier is often outclassed, and we might never get to swing with it.  Still, that's an awesome ability.

I think I'm going to go with the Specter.  I might change my mind later if we get some good arguments for Verdict though...

EDIT:  Changed my vote.
Let's take the Verdict, it's a safer pick. I don't really like the Specter that much - though it can be quite gross.
I believe Commander is refering to the fact that he actually knows what the person took.  He has mentioned it before in other drafts that at the end he will say what the person took over some really good cards.

So its not "I wonder what they took to pass this", its "I know they took ____ and I have no idea why they would over the rest of this".
Verdict is the correct pick I think, but I don't like sending on the Specter.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
There sure is a lot of crap in this pack. Gem, Tower, Beetle (arguably could be playable alongside Hero I guess), Caterize, Gift, Merfolk. The only three choices we have are Shimian Specter, Griffin Protector and Divine Verdict. I really like the white cards because they are still only single white. It's also not worth taking the Specter just so the person next to us can't play it. He could have taken the Geyser last pack and a non-black non-red card pick one, which would put him in a really difficault possition. Also passing both Protector and Verdict is a pretty clear white signal I think, and we don't want to be sending that kind of message when we have the Hero that we want to play.

Oh, my pick is Verdict by the way.
Sign In to post comments