Recharging Dailies

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm working on my own homebrew version of 4e and one thing that has really bugged me has been dailies. I don't like them as is, but I don't necessarily want to get rid of them either.

I've already run games where extended rests were more narrative in nature, so they occurred at the end of the adventure or "chapter". That works well, especially in the slower intrigue type of games, but I want something else I can toss into games that are faster-paced.

My latest thought was to allow characters to recharge dailies by spending an Action Point. Since AP are only awarded every other encounter, this would avoid using dailies like encounter powers, but the characters might be more willing to use them in earlier encounters instead of always saving them since they can pull them back out before hitting that final fight.

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this and what balance issues might ensue.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Depends on the class and level.  If I was playing a 1st level cleric with moment of glory or an invoker with silent malediction it is a great trade since all action points usually get you is an extra at will use for the round.

Other classes dailies are not nearly as impresssive so it depends.  And some essentials don't even get dailies so you have to consider that as well if people are playing with a class like the slayer.

As players hit paragon action points become more valuable since they trigger other benefits and daily powers become more common.
Depends on the class and level.  If I was playing a 1st level cleric with moment of glory or an invoker with silent malediction it is a great trade since all action points usually get you is an extra at will use for the round.

Other classes dailies are not nearly as impresssive so it depends.  And some essentials don't even get dailies so you have to consider that as well if people are playing with a class like the slayer.

As players hit paragon action points become more valuable since they trigger other benefits and daily powers become more common.

True, it will be more beneficial for some classes than others. I'm just wondering if it will be to the extent where a character that doesn't constantly recharge dailies gets boned compared to the character that does. I want it to actually be a meaningful decision, otherwise it would just be easier to have one daily automatically recharge at every milestone (which I suppose could also be a route to look at).

Since this is for my homebrew 4e system, I'm not sure that I'm going to worry about Essentials-style classes since I might not include them at all.

Thanks for the feedback.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I try this for a while, but we give it up.

Recharge all dailies used in the encounter after the short rest.  Roll D4. On a 4 you recharge the power. Use same rule for item daily power.
Extended rest only restore healing surge.

On the average you use a daily power once every four encounter. But sometimes it go nice, or not nice...

Some player like the random, but Controler hate this method, they cant rely on a power when they want to.

Houserule and standard rules are not perfects. So players will find flaw in your new rules and  they will take advantage on it.

For my homebrew 4e campaign the PCs must use a surge to execute an encounter power and 2 surges to execute a daily power.  They can use them as many times as they want as long as they have surges.  This has the effect of limiting healing some, but we like it that way.  We also alow characters to take the extra benefits of a power (just remove the surge value of HP) without spending a surge if they want.

If you are woried about the effects of removing the encounter/daily design (and it can cause problems if you are not ready for them).  Just have the characters spend a surge to recharge a daily.   
So I'm working on my own homebrew version of 4e and one thing that has really bugged me has been dailies. I don't like them as is, but I don't necessarily want to get rid of them either.

I've already run games where extended rests were more narrative in nature, so they occurred at the end of the adventure or "chapter". That works well, especially in the slower intrigue type of games, but I want something else I can toss into games that are faster-paced.

My latest thought was to allow characters to recharge dailies by spending an Action Point. Since AP are only awarded every other encounter, this would avoid using dailies like encounter powers, but the characters might be more willing to use them in earlier encounters instead of always saving them since they can pull them back out before hitting that final fight.

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this and what balance issues might ensue.

I have actually been using this exact mechanic for about 3 years.  I found it wasn't quite enough, but it worked decently, nonetheless. Certainly better than the rules in the book.  Now, however, my house rule reads as such:

Characters are encouraged to advance as much as they can before taking an extended rest. Characters regain 1 spent healing surge at each milestone, and 1 daily power every two milestones.