DOVES!!!!!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been working on a dovescape deck, for just ever, and it has seen iterations that are playable, but it's never been my best deck, and there has always been this clawing at the back of my mind that the card really has more potential than it has really ever seen.

with that said, this is the skeleton of the newest dovescape deck I've started working on, and I don't have a decklist for it yet, I just want to hear if there are any other cards that may go well with these ones that I might not know about:

dovescape 
dream halls to be replaced with omniscience when the time comes
show and tell 
guile 

as you can tell, this is more of a dream halls/show and tell deck, so keep that in mind, but all advice is welcome!
The problem that a Dovescape deck has is that it takes awhile to get going, unless you have the right amount of mana acceleration and card finding ability. I would highly recommend going Green-Blue for the mana acceleration, either through mana producers or land finding. It might even be worth tossing in some white for things like Sterling Grove, Enlightened Tutor, and Lost Auramancers.

If you're attemting to go infinite with Guile, then you'll need enough spells to either stall or find. This is where scrying and straight-up card draw will help. So things like Ponder, Cream of the Crop, Augury Owl and Ponder's little brother Preordain. Wall of Blossoms is an excellent blocker and card drawing tool, which can easily be exploited with creatures that bounce cards, like Stampeding Wildebeests.
You could add Leyline of Singularity so your opponent doesn't use the tokens against you
You could add Leyline of Singularity so your opponent doesn't use the tokens against you

That would affect his own tokens, as well.
Rush of knowledge with omniscience.
Thunderstaff or urza's armor to protect against enemy birds.

If you play the deck as an "auto-win" deck, then you'll want to play dovescape last.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
My personal favorite deck that includes Dovescape has been the Enduring Ideal deck. It's pretty awesome to watch someone play it well. The deck works by setting up a defense and then spaming doves like crazy. The build I linked is a little out of budget for most, but you can get the idea of how it works and such from it.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Grand Architect and Pili-Pala is Modern legal and easily searchable/ramped to Turn 2 with Vintage, and turn 3/4 otherwise. This gives you the mana for Dovescape and then you can lock your opponent out the game with Curse of Death's Hold (so I'd advise U/B in that case).

The infinite mana can give you card draw with Braingeyser or it's ilk to get the pieces, and then justy set up your play and then sit back and let the feathers (terrible pun) fly.
What do Dove decks do about Monk Realist and the like?
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.