Koopas in D&D

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

ok so i have a 1st level adventure in mind its based on the mushroom kingdom i made these using the adventure tools but im not sure if they area balanced i dont want to make them too hard ore easy for my players I hope to get some feed back on them to make sure they are ok

Green Koopa Trooper

Lvl:1 Minion Lurker

HP:1    AC:15 Fort:14 Ref:12 Will:14   Speed:5  Initiative:+6 Perception:+2    All-Around Vision

Traits
Turtle Shell: Gains a +4 to AC and Fort against flanking attackers

Shell-shocked: can shift 2 squares and make an attack (+6 vs Reflex, 5 damage on hit) after falling below 0 hp

Standard Actions
Club (Weapon) at will melee one at will +6 vs AC
Hit 4 damage

Crossbow (Weapon) at will melee one at will +6 vs AC
Hit 4 damage, or 6 on target without cover

STR 13+1 Con 15+2 Dex 16+3 Int 10+0 Wis 15+2 Cha 10+0

Red Koopa Trooper
Lvl 3: Standard Brute

HP:55 Bloodied at 27    AC:17 Fort:16 Ref:10 Will:14   Speed:5  Initiative:+5 Perception:+3    All-Around Vision

Traits
Turtle Shell: Gains a +2 to AC and Fort against flanking attackers

Turtle Wings: Red Koopa has small wings on its back that allow it to use leaping strike ( wings fall off after the red koopa is bloodied)

Triggered action

Shell-shocked*Encounter

Trigger: knocked prone by an attack

Effect Crawl into your shell and shift 2 squares then make an attack (+7 vs Reflex, 1d12+9 damage on hit)

Standard Actions
Greatclub (Weapon) melee one at will +7 vs AC
Hit 1d10+8 damage

Leaping Strike (weapon) at will +7 vs AC
Requirements, Turtle Wings
Hit 1d10+8 damage, and the Red Koopa can fly too squares as long as it ends in a square adjacent to an enemy

Skills: athletics+10 endurance+8 intimadate+3

STR 19+5 Con 15+3 Dex 14+3 Int 11+1 Wis 14+3 Cha 10+1

I apologize that I don't have much input as far as balance goes. I simply had a question out of curiosity: what happens should a PC decide that he or she wants to jump on a koopa? I mean, it worked with Mario. It should work here, too, right? 
I'm afraid I can't help as far as balance goes, either - I've never been a stat block guy.  I'm more curious about the fluff and ecology than anything else
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
Definitely some well thought out and balanced monsters.  Honestly, the PCs will wipe the floor with them, so feel free to pile on, especially the minions.

I love the red Koopa wings that fall off when bloodied.  Nice touch.

Love the idea, keep going with it.

It would be cool to have a terrain power where the PCs can pick up a koopa shell if it misses with it's shell shocked attack and throw it at another koopa.
Sleeping with interns on Colonial 1

I apologize that I don't have much input as far as balance goes. I simply had a question out of curiosity: what happens should a PC decide that he or she wants to jump on a koopa? I mean, it worked with Mario. It should work here, too, right? 

well in the adventure they are renamed so not sure if someone will get the refrence and actually try it but if they did id say a moderate acrobatics check to make sure that the PC can jump on it and not fall prone only thing is if they do make the check then the koopas Shell-Shocked ability activates

I'm afraid I can't help as far as balance goes, either - I've never been a stat block guy.  I'm more curious about the fluff and ecology than anything else

well in the adventure the PCs are sent to investigate a rash of disappearances but when they get to the area where its been happening  there are no clues and nothing but trees and a small abandoned well overgrown with green moss and while the PC investigate the well they are magicly forced into the well and end up in a new area where the Mushrooms grow to the size of trees and as they wonder where they are and what happened they are attacked by Koopas or Meiolanians as i call them in the adventures after that they meet a "frendly" troop of toadstools or Amantian

if u wanna know more give me alittle time and ill make up tons of fluff but i dont habe much for now the adventure is only a lvl one and it ends with the PCs leaving this land and going back into the forgotten realms

Definitely some well thought out and balanced monsters.  Honestly, the PCs will wipe the floor with them, so feel free to pile on, especially the minions.

I love the red Koopa wings that fall off when bloodied.  Nice touch.

Love the idea, keep going with it.

It would be cool to have a terrain power where the PCs can pick up a koopa shell if it misses with it's shell shocked attack and throw it at another koopa.

thanks for the feed back
well lets see 4-5 PCs im thinking 3 red koopas maybe 5 green or more how does that sound for a basic encounter 
I think you do have a well rounded group of monsters for your PCs to fight. I do have one suggestion. You shouldn't have made it so much based on mario because then it limits the amount of enemies and goals for your party to do.

Saving princess peach over and over again insn't that fun/

I think you do have a well rounded group of monsters for your PCs to fight. I do have one suggestion. You shouldn't have made it so much based on mario because then it limits the amount of enemies and goals for your party to do.

Saving princess peach over and over again insn't that fun/

yes i saw that from the begining that is why they are only going to be there from lvl 1 till lvl 2 and i also have a twist at the end that will make things alot less like mario i dont plann on too much happening just something to run my players throu a low lvl adventure so that they can learn how to play and we can get on with the rest of the adventure back in the realms
For added Marioness, allow your players to pick up the shells of defeated Koopas as a minor action (requires one free hand, presuming they are Small-sized creatures) and throw them as a standard action for a line-type attack. The shells break on contact with a solid obstacle or wall.
Great idea, very clever
So how does thid sound as an encounter im thinking 8 green koopas and 2 red as the first encounter or another encounter is 4 green and 2 red and another is just 4 red with the encounter tool ive gotten a standard rating on all of these but idk
Depends on how OPd the party is. Start with a couple reds and some greens, bring in a bob-omb or two if they're doing a little too good.

Bob-omb - minion - after 1d4 turns or when dropped to zero close burst 1 Level + 3 v Ref.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

i wanna do that bbut cant think of a mini to repersent that i need something that wwould look like the real life version of a Bobomb like a kolbold with a bomb strapt on his back

The turtle shell thing isn't OP but itn't doesn't feel right to me. Maybe make it an interrupt and more of a shield bonus for +2 AC and Reflex, this way they can only use it 1/round. 
Also i'd make them a soldier for bonuses defenses, they aren't very lurkery.
The shell shocked attack on the green one should be closer to +4 vs Reflex, but it's a lot cleaner if you just let them make a melee basic (ala Orcs).

On the red one, the leaping attack feels much more like a skirmisher attack, so i'd go that route. I'd swap the Shell Shocked Encoutner to a move action to help keep teh skirmisher theme. Also I'd let them keep the same shell powers as the green one...

Here are two quick mock ups i just made... Hope you like them!

FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
I like them my only questions are is there much of a diffrence if he shifts of flys the 2 squares in the leap attack and will the shell slide take up its a move and an attack? 
Flying provokes OA's. Shifting doesn't. Otherwise, not really much of a difference at this level.

And no, Shell slide is written as a move action so it only takes a move action (kinda like the Ranger's Off-Hand strike only takes his minor). The proning effect is just gravy.

I intentionally wrote it that way so he can shift, knock someone over, then flying leap for extra daamge against the prone target. Nifty, huh?

EDIT - it should be +6 against reflex tho, i musta typo'd that.
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis