Lone Wolf (possibly no Cub).

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently started reading Lone Wolf and Cub. I can admit that its style and story both captured my ronin "fetish" and my fondness for art. Thus, i decided to attempt to build a character resembling Ogami Itto.

For those not familiar with the comic, Ogami is a master swordsman and executioner for the goverment, that after being accused falsly chose to walk the path of the ronin, the disgraced warrior, and now works as an assasin.

So, to sum it up: master swordsman, assasin, cunning, a master strategist, able to use even broken boards as weapons.

The best things i can come up with is either an Arid Berserker with refluffed raging to reflect a highly offensive state of mind/stance (he does not wear armor, at least not in the part i have read) or a Fighter|Barbarian hybrid, with Arena Training Hybrid Talent and the above refluff for the rages.

Any suggestions and ideas on this one?

Thanks.
If you post a build, it will help CharOp regulars by giving them a starting point they can use to suggest changes.

As far as your concept goes, yeah, a Fighter|Barbarian hybrid may meet your needs, and both can be very happy with Str/Dex builds. Arena Training seems like the right way to go if using any old object as a weapon is important to you. However, if it's more important to you to fight without armor, and have a high accuracy to reflect your "master swordsman" angle, Avenger might also be worth your consideration.
Stupid thing that there is no Arena Training Hybrid Talent.

To reflect the cunning assassin part along with being a swordsmaster, a Fighter|Rogue might be the right thing to do. Either use the Hybrid Tempest or Hybrid Rogue Tactics (Brutal Scoundrel for efficiency or Cunning Sneak for fluff).

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 5
Human, Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Arena Training
Arena Training: Arena Weapon (Fullblade)
Arena Training: Arena Weapon (Greatspear)
Extended Arena Training: Arena Weapon (Quarterstaff)
Extended Arena Training: Arena Weapon (Execution axe)
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 12, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 20 Fort: 19 Reflex: 16 Will: 14
HP: 51 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +6, Heal +8, Endurance +8, Athletics +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, History +2, Insight +3, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +1, Thievery +5

FEATS
Human: Agile Superiority
Level 1: Extended Arena Training
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Staff Expertise

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Cleave
Fighter at-will 1: Weapon Master's Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Footwork Lure
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Battle Fury Stance
Fighter encounter 3: Parry and Riposte
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel

ITEMS
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Master's Blade Fullblade +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

This is the best i could come up with, went pure fighter for arena training. AC is a little inferior compared to hide or scale.
My problem with hybrids is that the core mechanics of each class go off only with that class's powers, and that requires a degree of setup that a pure class can pull of easier (at least thats how i see it).
Any thoughts on the build above? 

I think you approached this the wrong way.

" So, to sum it up: master swordsman, assasin, cunning, a master strategist, able to use even broken boards as weapons. "

Except for the master swordman, all the other traits are descriptive rather than mechanical. I suggest you first determine which mechanical characteristics you find important, and then go look for a class to best suit that.

You could, for example, determine you prefer a rogue with a short sword, or perhaps an assaulting swordmage with a rapier.

You do have a point. In fact that is why i went with fighter, for the arena bonuses (being able to fight with anything semi efficiently and with two to four waepons good enough. Master strategist, cunning, assasin are all more of flavor than of mechanics.

If possible i would like to use fighter, with a build close to the above. Critique and any other ideas are welcome. 
OK, well, I do not know this character you speak off at all. However, I would not go in cloth as a fighter, but instead pick something better and refluff as regular clothes.

I do not see the point of extended arena training, fullblade and quarterstaff are sufficient, are they not ?

I do not like your E1, D1, U2 or D5, since they are all lesser choices (IMO) than other powers at the same level. Particularly Rain of Steel, since you are building a striker here, and that is a pure defender power.

I would also prefer a Str/Dex race here, since you really would like to boost both. On top of that I would go with 11 Con, and Wisdom 13.
What powers would you suggest? Also, i think i saw somewhere a multiclass barbarian feat that gives you Barbarian Agility. Does it exist or is it just my imagination?
You won't get Barbarian Agility from multiclassing. You'd have to hybrid and use the hybrid feat for that.

Not very charopped, but from what I've read from you, I hope this guy will give you the feel you're looking for.

MBA is +18, 1d12+10 at level 11

Half Orc Arena Fighter
level 11 Half-Orc, Fighter, Son of Mercy
Build: Arena Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Arena Training Quarterstaff/Fullblade

Final ability scores Str 21, Con 12, Dex 19, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 11

Start: 16/11/15/8/14/10

AC: 27 Fort: 25 Reflex: 22 Will: 24 HP: 87 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 21

Skills: Endurance +12, Intimidate +12, Athletics +14

Feats (in no particular order)
Staff Expertise
Anger Unleashed
Surprising Charge
Reaping Blade
Thirst for Battle
Superior Will
Marked Scourge

Powers:
at-will: Threatening Rush & Footwork Lure
E1 Passing Attack
D1 Lasting Threat  (reliable !)
U2 Glowering Threat
E3 Parry and Riposte
D5 Nimble Bladestorm
U6 Ignore Weakness
E7 Hydra Charge
D9 One Against Many
U10 Clearheaded

Gear : Amulet of Protection +3, Magic Fullblade +3, Magic Hide Armor +3

I would second checking out an Avenger, especially a Pursuit Avenger. They are extremely accurate thanks to re-rolls, and their schtick is picking an enemy and chasing them down then killing them. Plus they wear cloth armour, and have good AC.

If the using anything as a weapon is more important I would also suggest considering an Iron Soul Monk - yes their powers are all technically implement powers, but they can use any weapon as an implement (and get bonuses for using powers with some weapons as implements). So the fact that they use implements only really plays a role in the fact that the power has the implement keyword - you still retain the feel of hitting people with a weapon - in fact you are so good at it that whilst most people could only do 1d4 with a broken board you can do 1d8. Since you were happy refluffing the rages, I presume you're happy to ignore the fact they are called implement rather than weapon as well. Monks also wear cloth naturally and have great AC from it, so you wouldn't need ot make any sacrifices there. I'm not sure what levels you're looking through, but if you do go into Paragon the Soaring Blade (Psionic Power) looks like an excellent fit for a paragon path as well.

Both have a lot of mobility powers as well. Does the character need to function as a defender mechanically? I ask since the Fighter and Bezerker both are, but your description sounded more like a striker, hence the two striker suggestions. In play the various power sources almost no mechanical impact (there aren't many feats which key off the power keyword of Divine, Psionic or Martial, and some are replicated).
I am well aware of both classes. My problem with them is not the reflavoring, it is their main stats. While i understand and believe Dexterity and Wisdom help one to hit and damage his opponent, i do not think one could use only one of these to be an effective melee combatant (not mechanicaly, "fluff-wise"). This is probably a personal quirk.
What about an Assassin(Executioner)|Avenger hybrid?

I think it fits the character fairly well and you can use both Wis and Dex as your main stats. Since hybrid Executioner applies to melee basic attacks you can take Power of Skill and Overwhelming Strike, which gives you the benefits of both your hybrid classes striker features. Take Armor of Faith as your Hybrid Talent so you get decent AC.

Wisdom I can kinda understand why you might have a problem with with weapon attacks (although not as much as something like Charisma, after all Fighters have Wisdom as a secondary to represent knowing how to fight well).

Dexterity seems perfectly natural to me though, especially for a guy who fences (admittedly my image of a master swordsman) rather than a hammer or axe guy? Its about being quick and nimble, parry and riposte, sneaking in a blow too fast for the other person to stop in the dance of steel - strength I've always viewed as I hit it, hard. You swing a whacking great big sword at someone hard enough that they physically can't stop it, and it slams into them, brutish, whereas the Dextrous guy sidesteps the blow and delivers another cut to the oaf swinging the sword. Incidentally, the Iron Soul monk would be Dex main Con secondary, quick and tough. Obviously your quirks are your own, just thought I'd try to do my bit to persuade you that Dexterity could be a master swordsmans main stat
My pervertion is that i find Strength, Dexterity and Wisdom all stats a master swordsman should have, be strong, fast and perceptive, and i try to have my characters use three stats, usually that does not end well.

Iron Soul and the Hybrid Avenger|Executioner seem interesting, i will take a look there, cannot promise anything though.
It's not like a person with 10 STR is a weakling.  I don't know the character, but I doubt he goes around lifting oxen and whatnot.  With discipline and control, you can be a master swordsman without developing hulking muscles.  But this is not really a CharOp issue.
Hybrid executioner is a bad idea, since the executioners strikers feature requests you use the very weapons an avenger does not want to.
Baldhermit, your build is the closest thing to what i want, i have to admit that i have gone that way with my last character (though he was much more Wis invested).

As for the executioner, i took a look, can't say it intrigued me much. 
I actually threw a Hired Killer (or Executioner, can't remember) background on a Slayer and refluffed the Scale (or was my dex high enough I just used Hide?, I remember Ogami wearing and fighting in armor while in disguise at least twice). It worked well enough for me.
Sign In to post comments