Online D&D 4th Edition Campaigns?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a n00b question: Is there any way that I can play a D&D 4th Edition campaign online with other players, or is this only possible in video games?
On this very website, there are two prominent play-by-post groups - Play-by-Post Haven and Real Adventures. Though neither offer the face-to-face experience, they benefit from the fact that people can post when it's convenient, rather than relying on a specific meeting time. Typically, a hopeful DM will create a recruitment thread to attract attention to his/her specific game, stating how many players will be accepted, what the general story hook is, what materials and books will be accepted, and so on/so forth.

There are a couple things to note, though. The first is that the application process can be crowded, as there's a competitive aspect to most recruitment threads (it's typically not first come, first served). The second is that every so often, a DM will disappear, leaving the game in limbo; it's a pain, but it does happen from time to time. I'm not sure if play-by-post is your thing, but if it is, you should check it out.

community.wizards.com/realadventures

community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I have a n00b question: Is there any way that I can play a D&D 4th Edition campaign online with other players, or is this only possible in video games?

youre in luck! you are a ddi subscriber so you have access to the virtual table. this works with the character builder and monster builder to allow easy importing. there is a built in voice system as well. the community is tight. check out the forums

community.wizards.com/dndbeta/go/forum/v...

and the tables

vt.wizards.com/campaigns.php

I can confirm that the groups LordManshoon suggests are good, and in addition, one of them has a game currently forming that is specifically looking to get new players into the action.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

Also, if you don't like paying for VT access, there are free ones, such as Maptool, which have their own forums to recruit gamers (or you can still recruit them in these ones). I actually play a lot of my games online or sometimes a mix of online and RL depending on the availability/location of my players.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I currently play exclusively on OSU-GT, the Game Table Project, which is a lot simpler and has a lot smaller learning curve than MapTool (but you can still import pogs and images you create with tools like TokenTool from RP Tools on the MapTool website).

It does NOT support voice like MapTool does, however, but it is also free and is pretty easy for my players to all log into and use, while also being easy for me to run (it's essentially a shared whiteboard in Java with an interface for various roleplaying games).

You know, I would use the official online D&D board because of the ease of importing monsters and characters from the other tools, but none of my players subscribe.  Since I'm the only subscriber, that makes it difficult.  But if you're LOOKING for players, that community might be your best bet.  There are also boards both here and at other D&D-focused forums that do the whole looking for players to play with, including for online play.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

youre in luck! you are a ddi subscriber so you have access to the virtual table. this works with the character builder and monster builder to allow easy importing. there is a built in voice system as well. the community is tight. check out the forums

and the tables

Except that now it seems WotC will be ending VT: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

and the tables

Except that now it seems WotC will be ending VT: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

right. that was before the announcement if you hadnt guessed
A virtual table. One of the things I really want to start using. (currently subscribbed and making characters. But never really get to use them kind of thing. Building them as level 8 and 9's. some 11 to play with paragon options for the day I may actually play it.) The virtual table is something that can turn a night of what? old movie and playing an mmo without really doing anything. 

I do that a lot. WoW. Some nights are very nice, others. Well I learn to hate many people who play online as it kills the night. However, perhaps your like me andyou just cannot talk. Not muted mind you. I can be understood, but not as well as you may think. (picture your best bud who is a 'bit
 high' and a bit drunk. Who is also apparently european. Thats me.

So I may favor a mixture of text and talk. Speak when I have to and its always better to be glad you got a crit on a huge daily with a vampiric weapon and  another that has an effect when you crit. Then say an ally has an ability that triggers from acrit that adds even more to it... Yeah, you get rights to proclaim yourself as all mighty for a while. Especially when you dealt over a hundred damage in a single turn at level 9.

Text, well thats nice when people are talking on and on as you know that they are buds in real life and out of character. Which admittingly its much easier to rp talk by typing than speaking like you were a different character. Some could, they make any session awesome. Only ever saw that in Cragnarok at UB for me. But you get the drift. 

Here you have the ability to do both. doesn't mean you would know how the heck to use the thing.

Perhaps I may see you in one of the guide sessions that pop up. Assuming I decide if I wish to take my dragonborn warden, goliath werewolf cleric, one of my two druids. And once I figure out what the heck I did, my shaman/druid hybrid. I honestly have no clue what I was doing with that last one.

But then news or rumor that the virtual table would go poof? We were said to have this thing for an insanely long time, then got it for not even a year and they wish to do away with it? It is really the thing they should expand. Theres tons of people who want to play the game but cannot due to distance from friends. And talking over facebook will never work for this game. And then go into more details, they could integrate dungeon magazine into it for one night games. Help new dms, built in tutorials, how to use the enemies.

Something like that could expand the franchise as most of us do not live near where the encounters are. Aweosme if you have a place to run it, or if you are near a place that does. I wish I did as I would never have work that night again. And many of us cannot afford or have the figurines. My group uses those fish bowl clear rock things as pieces. We have a few character ones that we use, but thats about it. Virtual table. Well access to figurines without raiding a store for em.  (a set with the campaign and pieces for the terrain and monsters with perhaps a random one for players in there or somethin., If those aren't out ther yet, there really should be.)

I just know. Whomever decided to get a monster piece the size of 30 squares... a couple hundred bucks. A good thing if you have a bare colored room for the figurines.  the only plus to collecting so many. Or making a battlefield.  But I suppose I rambled on enough.  
I looked at the Virtual Tabletop. It was not a simple thing. It required loading up characters, entering information, mastering a multitude of specialized commands to use a map, put tokens on the map, move the tokens, and declare and execute actions.

I am sure that it worked well. I however have come to much prefer the stark simplicity of Google+. We just point a camera at the map. Players do not even need a camera. The players and the dungeon master talk with microphones. Dice rolls are declared according to the honour system (the dungeon master could roll for us in certain situations). No fuss, no mess. Each player sends a pdf of his character to the dungeon master before each session.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
I looked at the Virtual Tabletop. It was not a simple thing. It required loading up characters, entering information, mastering a multitude of specialized commands to use a map, put tokens on the map, move the tokens, and declare and execute actions.

yes...talking into a mic and left clicking your mouse took a lot of skill. and the clicking the export button to get your pc in...god knows many struggled with it.

are you SURE you played the vtt?
So I played this "Dungeons and Dragons" game with my friends at my kitchen table the other day, and man was it complicated.  We had to spend all this time reading up books, writing things down on our character sheets, learning all these strange jargons like "make an attack" and "AC", put these little figure things down on these things that one guy printed out, pick them up and put them down again, and say what we were doing.

I was exhausted.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
i couldnt figure out how to roll the dice. i just kept throwing them as hard as i can against the wall
As easy as you think the VT is, Google+ is simply easier. And happily for me and my friends, not about to go away.
As easy as you think the VT is, Google+ is simply easier. And happily for me and my friends, not about to go away.

good for you dude, rub it in. we will end up cold chillin at gto, while you will always be that guy that couldnt figure out moving tokens on the vt

good for you dude, rub it in. we will end up cold chillin at gto, while you will always be that guy that couldnt figure out moving tokens on the vt

Sorry. I did not mean to "rub it in." Was just pointing out an advantage of open resources like Google+

As for the VT, I am simply of an older generation. Likewise I find drawing with a pencil easier than trying to use Windows Paint or Photoshop. (shrugs)

thats fine, i shouldnt have been rude. i apologize
Sign In to post comments