YMTC Idol 10: Round 4

40 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw thirty contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Thirty-nine hopefuls came to this year's call, but only twenty-four made it through the auditions, with four falling in the round thereafter. The second round claimed four more victims, followed by another three, leaving thirteen remaining. Should you wish to reach glory, you must face the challenges set forth by my magnanimous panel. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

Contestants
AnubisDread
chinkeeyong
Degauss
Detektor
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Freyjann
Imidazoline
Mono789
pietro_aronica
razorborne
silasw
Tekkahedron
Yushang

[color=purple]Round 4 Criteria[/color]:
Magic has learned to manage its resources wisely, reusing them where the fit seems natural. I am not opposed to this idea, thus I present your criteria for this round as originally presented by YMTC Idol's initial host, tyranno6, for the audition round of YMTC Idol 7... with one minor change.

Often in Magic R&D creates 'suites' of cards — a character, like Akroma, Angel of Wrath, and the spells she casts (Akroma's BlessingAkroma's Vengeance), and her servants (Akroma's Devoted). Sometimes, like with Pious Kitsune, the cards reference their masters in the rules text, not the card name. Occasionally, like with Godo, Bandit Warlord, even his weapon (Tenza, Godo's Maul) is made into a card.

Assignment:
Create a card that is wielded, is cast, or serves the character you created for the audition round of this year's YMTC Idol. You may change that audition card by giving it a specific character name, but aren't required to. Repost your audition card with your submission for this round (but don't post your blurb from that thread; link to it if you feel it is required).

You have five days to submit your card. Three contestants will be eliminated this round.

Good luck!
I hate you Rush.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Eeep. I'm not going to include the blurb, as the audition was about using other cards to derive a set environment, this round is just about the relationship between two cards. You've seen it already anyway.

Not a criticism of the criteria per se, but very few of the audition cards were legendary, where as all of the criteria examples are - an alternate example might prove helpful, but hey, it's Idol we should be able to figure it out.

History's Keeper |
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
If you would draw a card, instead put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return one of those cards from your graveyard to your hand.
He remembers all tales of import, and allows the meaningless to fade into obscurity.
4/4

So he's a historian. A bad-ass Minotaur historian to be sure, but a historian nonetheless. What do historians need? Books.

Keeper's Ledger |
Artifact
Whenever a creature dies, put a tome counter of Keeper's Ledger.
, : Draw a card for each tome counter on Keeper's Ledger.
To ensure their longevity, each name in the Ledgers is engraved on a page of lead with the horn of a revered Keeper.
for reference:

Gor-Alek, Caprinate Eversage-
Creature-Goat Wizard (M)
At the beginning of each end step, draw a card for each spell you played this turn.
Fathom 6 (you may cast this card without paying its mana cost if you've cast 6 or more spells this turn.)
"The homunculi have found something. Assemble the council, there is much to be done."
4/4

blahblahblah talking okay seriously though

obviously, we are making a set about playing some spells. I'm likely going to use my set's ability word, Spellcraft, which is Landfall for spellcasting. pretty simple. now the question is what level I want to set my card. mythic is out: if it's used by him, it can't also be the same level as him. rare would let me make a big splashy thing. uncommon is more assistant-level stuff, where the card rewards you most likely for playing spells but does so in a lesser manner. common is the enabler. for now, the following is my submission, because it fits well with the mechanics of Gor-Alek and the themes of the set, but it may change.

Visions of the Eversage-
Sorcery (C)
Draw two cards.
Fathom 2 (You may cast this card without paying its mana cost if you've cast 2 or more cards this turn.)
"Gor-Alek's throne sits at the Mouth of Infinity. Who knows what marvels he sees, while others beg for the scraps?"~Belaz-Kan, Attendant to the Eversage

I like this because it's much more than the sum of its parts. I mean sure, it's a slightly more color-intensive divination. and sure it has the set's marquee keyword on it. so it's just those two mashed together. but it's also the best possible card to have when you're trying to set off a fathom chain. 'cause the biggest risk with fathom is that you're limited to what's in your hand. you have to save it for one big turn. but with visions, that's not true. not only does it provide you with fuel during that turn, it also encourages you to play in a manner other than just piling up everything you need, then going off, because you can get lucky off the rip. so this little common that's a stapled-together version of a core set staple and a mechanic I already designed takes on so much more meaning. I think it's supercute.

it's also worth noting a simple design decision I made that affects this card: fathom cards will alway have double-color in their mana cost, to make them hard to run in decks that can't support the color. if this cost , in addition to being strictly better than divination, you could run it in, say, a white-black deck and splash some random blue dual to cast it when you couldn't fathom it. as is, it takes away a non-blue deck's ability to cast it without paying the fathom cost, which rewards you much more for running it in decks with the proper colors. it's like phyrexian mana. sure, any color can get it, but by playing the right colors you can get it much easier.

Not a criticism of the criteria per se, but very few of the audition cards were legendary, where as all of the criteria examples are - an alternate example might prove helpful, but hey, it's Idol we should be able to figure it out.

Which is why I allowed the name addition if wanted. Just keep the general concept in mind. Your creature wants something to call its own. Lightning Bolt can belong to Lightning Elemental if you want it to.
...of course we need to use the round I made what is probably my weakest submission that even I hate. Well my own fault, you reap what you sow. At least I chose a good flavor?

Soulless Sentinel 
Artifact Creature - Golem Zombie (R)
Ingenious - Soulless Sentinel is indestructible as long as you have four or more cards in your hand.
Soulless Sentinel gets +5/+5 as long as an opponent has three or less cards in their hand..
"A brain in a body of steel is far better than employing men. These beings have no soul to waive their hand, no mind to question orders, and no patience for those vastly inferior to ourselves."
-Aldark, Sciencelord of Astath

5/5

Sentinel's Concience  
Creature - Homunculus (C)
When Sentinel's Concience enters the battlefield, target opponent discards a card and you draw a card.
 "Even the completely obidient can go astray. Thankfully, there are servants who have their minds intact small enough to whisper guidance in their ears. And are more than willing to serve me... or face the consequences."

1/1

Siege Engineer 
Creature - Human Rigger
Defender
: ~ assembles a Contraption from three cards in your graveyard. (Put a colourless Contraption artifact token onto the battlefield exiling those cards as components.)
Contraptions you control are 5/3 Juggernaut creatures in addition to their other types.
Whenever a Contraption you control dies, return one of its components to your hand.
"War is the only art that benefits from continually reusing the same material."
2/4

Siege Plating
Artifact - Equipment [SOG - U]
Equipped creature has hexproof and ": Untap this creature".
Equip
If Siege Plating is a component of a Contraption, that Contraption has hexproof and ": Untap this artifact."
"But what's the point of reusing things if you don't use them as often as possible?"

Note: The first ability synergizes strongly with Siege Engineer. The second ability had to work on her Juggernauts as well as normal Contraptions, which are typically noncreature artifacts with tap abilities. And of course they mirror each other.

Which is why I allowed the name addition if wanted. Just keep the general concept in mind. Your creature wants something to call its own. Lightning Bolt can belong to Lightning Elemental if you want it to.

Oh right. I completely missed that.
Advocate of the Pale Sun
Creature - Spirit
Flying
Repurpose (Each nonland permanent you sacrifice as you cast this spell reduces its cost by that permanent's mana cost. Mana cost includes colour.)
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return to your hand all cards that were put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn. If three or more permanents would be returned this way, you may return those permanents to the battlefield instead.
The Pale Sun, the symbol of House Idero, protected by the spirits of law, justice and honour even in the face of imminent catastrophe.
4/4

For reference and placeholding, here's my audition round submission. Follow the quote to get the blurb for my interpretation of the set.

Stone of the Pale Sun
Artifact
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, draw a card.
When CARDNAME is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, white creatures you control enter the battlefield this turn with a +1/+1 counter on them.
"When the Sun sets, may our Advocate rise to guide us during the night."
Stone inscription

I'm unsure whether it should have an ETB effect as well. On the one hand, it would scream "REPURPOSE!" if it only had the die trigger making it really obvious what it's supposed to do. On the other, the ETB makes it even better and doesn't leave a card that doesn't do much by itself. I'm torn.

ADDENDUM: I'm aware of this card's infinite combo potential with white persist creatures, but I'm unconcerned about it. Obviously there would be no persist in the set, and sometimes infinite combos happen even in Standard.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Lord of Remembrance

Creature – Spirit Avatar (R)
2/2

Martyr anything (Whenever any number of cards is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may sacrifice this permanent to return those cards to the zone they were moved from. If a card is put into your library this way, shuffle your library.)

"Genevi will be a city of the forgotten no more."

Book of Remembrance

Artifact (R)

, : Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
When Book of Remembrance is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you may shuffle your graveyard into your library.

Tended to by the long-lost spirits of the Eternal Scribes, it keeps the memory of a once-great city alive.
Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
CKY, are you bad at anything?
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
I'm beginning to think CKY may be anime in real life...
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
Fickle Spelgeon
Creature - Devil Shaman  (R)
Surge -- Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may exile it. If you do, flip a coin. If you win the flip, copy the exiled spell twice. You may cast the copies without paying their mana costs. If you lose the flip, draw a card.
4/3

Spelgeon's Toolkit
Artifact
Whenever a spell you control is copied, you may draw a card for each spell copied this turn.
Doctors and scientists are just like mechanics. They're only as good as their tools and as interesting as their targets.
\o/
Oh hey, CKY did a book too.
I DEMAND SATISFACTION. 
Auditon Card
Molvino Wardmaster ()
Creature - Human Spellshaper R
, Discard a card: You may cast a copy of one of Molvino Wardmaster's spells:
///
Guard Glyphs
Creature - Wall 0/3
Defender, protection from no mana cost
///
Keep Pure
Instant
Counter target spell that targets a creature.
///
2/4

Molvino Aeroglyphs ()
Instant U
Target creature gains flying until end of turn. If Molvino Aeroglyphs is a white and blue Spellshaper’s spell, that creature also gains lifelink and hexproof until end of turn.
Template (When this spell card is put into your graveyard after resolving, you may exile it as one of target creature’s spells.)

Entropy Alchemist
|
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
, Discard a card: Return target card from your graveyard to the top of your library. If that card shares a type with the discarded card, draw a card.

2/2

Alchemist's Fetch |
Creature - Homunculus

When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card. Then, if it's madness cost was paid, return it to it's owner's hand.
Madness -

The alchemists have trained their fetches to ignore certain thought patterns, letting them skate the line between sanity and madness.

1/1
Genevian Vindicator 
Creature - Human Soldier
When Genevian Vindicator enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each non-Spirit creature you control.
When Genevian Vindicator attacks, Spirits you control get +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature card in your graveyard.
4/4
"No Genevian shall ever die in vain."

Genevian Cadet
Creature - Human Soldier
When Genevian Cadet enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
1/1
"May your ancestors guide you." - Kalas, Genevian vindicator
I DEMAND SATISFACTION. 

Who wields books anyway? No one has ever marched gloriously with a dictionary in hand.
I DEMAND SATISFACTION. 

Who wields books anyway? No one has ever marched gloriously with a dictionary in hand.

Writers are today's infantry my man, and dictonaries keep their weapons in check.

Elesa, Link to the Afterlife 
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
You may choose not to untap Elesa during your untap step.
, : Exile target creature.
When Elesa becomes untapped or leaves the battlefield, return all creatures exiled by Elesa to the battlefield.
2/3

Elesa's Paladin
Creature - Human Knight
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to legendary creatures you control.
: When target creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return that card to the battlefield.  When you do, put Elesa's Paladin on top of your library.  Activate this ability only once each turn.
4/4

This paladin does what a paladin does best: protect.  He stops Elesa from being damaged and if she is the target of a Doom Blade or something instead, he can still save her, but at the cost of tempo.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Finalised submission.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Finished!
\o/
Autarch Fornax 
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Opponents suffer from mana burn.
Creatures you control deal damage to opponents in form of .
Give that Ragbone all the power he wants. He will burn from the inside, or become one of us. Either way, one less beggar on the streets.
8/4

Fornaxian Wrath
Instant
Add to target player's mana pool equal to the amount of damage dealt to that player this turn.
Unused mana produced this way causes mana burn. 
Fixed typo in flavour text
Round 1 Entry:
Reyu, the Exalted 
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (MR)
Vigilance
Discard a card at random: Put X 1/1 red and white Human creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield, where X is equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
Sacrifice those tokens at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn.
4/3

"Though his ability to lead is second to none, it is his capacity to inspire hope that would surely cause even the sun to follow him to the ends of the world and back." - Anonymous follower
-------------------------------------------

Current Round Entry:

Reyu's Soul Blade  
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has first strike and gets +2/+0.

Whenever equipped creature attacks, put X 1/1 white Spirit tokens with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking, where X is the number of human creature cards in your graveyard.  Exile these tokens at end of combat.

Equip

It rallies loyal phantoms from beyond the Veil that continue to fight for freedom.

This is the round that never ends...

It just goes on and on my friends...
Round closed! Judges, please list the four submissions you think worst of this round, from most to least decent. Three contestants will be eliminated this round.

submissions
Eeep. I'm not going to include the blurb, as the audition was about using other cards to derive a set environment, this round is just about the relationship between two cards. You've seen it already anyway.

History's Keeper |
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
If you would draw a card, instead put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return one of those cards from your graveyard to your hand.
He remembers all tales of import, and allows the meaningless to fade into obscurity.
4/4

So he's a historian. A bad-ass Minotaur historian to be sure, but a historian nonetheless. What do historians need? Books.

Keeper's Ledger |
Artifact
Whenever a creature dies, put a tome counter of Keeper's Ledger.
, : Draw a card for each tome counter on Keeper's Ledger.
To ensure their longevity, each name in the Ledgers is engraved on a page of lead with the horn of a revered Keeper.

for reference:

Gor-Alek, Caprinate Eversage-
Creature-Goat Wizard (M)
At the beginning of each end step, draw a card for each spell you played this turn.
Fathom 6 (you may cast this card without paying its mana cost if you've cast 6 or more spells this turn.)
"The homunculi have found something. Assemble the council, there is much to be done."
4/4

blahblahblah talking okay seriously though

obviously, we are making a set about playing some spells. I'm likely going to use my set's ability word, Spellcraft, which is Landfall for spellcasting. pretty simple. now the question is what level I want to set my card. mythic is out: if it's used by him, it can't also be the same level as him. rare would let me make a big splashy thing. uncommon is more assistant-level stuff, where the card rewards you most likely for playing spells but does so in a lesser manner. common is the enabler. for now, the following is my submission, because it fits well with the mechanics of Gor-Alek and the themes of the set, but it may change.

Visions of the Eversage-
Sorcery (C)
Draw two cards.
Fathom 2 (You may cast this card without paying its mana cost if you've cast 2 or more cards this turn.)
"Gor-Alek's throne sits at the Mouth of Infinity. Who knows what marvels he sees, while others beg for the scraps?"~Belaz-Kan, Attendant to the Eversage

I like this because it's much more than the sum of its parts. I mean sure, it's a slightly more color-intensive divination. and sure it has the set's marquee keyword on it. so it's just those two mashed together. but it's also the best possible card to have when you're trying to set off a fathom chain. 'cause the biggest risk with fathom is that you're limited to what's in your hand. you have to save it for one big turn. but with visions, that's not true. not only does it provide you with fuel during that turn, it also encourages you to play in a manner other than just piling up everything you need, then going off, because you can get lucky off the rip. so this little common that's a stapled-together version of a core set staple and a mechanic I already designed takes on so much more meaning. I think it's supercute.

it's also worth noting a simple design decision I made that affects this card: fathom cards will alway have double-color in their mana cost, to make them hard to run in decks that can't support the color. if this cost , in addition to being strictly better than divination, you could run it in, say, a white-black deck and splash some random blue dual to cast it when you couldn't fathom it. as is, it takes away a non-blue deck's ability to cast it without paying the fathom cost, which rewards you much more for running it in decks with the proper colors. it's like phyrexian mana. sure, any color can get it, but by playing the right colors you can get it much easier.

...of course we need to use the round I made what is probably my weakest submission that even I hate. Well my own fault, you reap what you sow. At least I chose a good flavor?

Soulless Sentinel 
Artifact Creature - Golem Zombie (R)
Ingenious - Soulless Sentinel is indestructible as long as you have four or more cards in your hand.
Soulless Sentinel gets +5/+5 as long as an opponent has three or less cards in their hand..
"A brain in a body of steel is far better than employing men. These beings have no soul to waive their hand, no mind to question orders, and no patience for those vastly inferior to ourselves."

5/5

Sentinel's Concience  
Creature - Homunculus (C)
When Sentinel's Concience enters the battlefield, target opponent discards a card and you draw a card.
 "Even the completely obidient can go astray. Thankfully, there are servants who have their minds intact small enough to whisper guidance in their ears. And are more than willing to serve me... or face the consequences."

1/1

Siege Engineer 
Creature - Human Rigger
Defender
: ~ assembles a Contraption from three cards in your graveyard. (Put a colourless Contraption artifact token onto the battlefield exiling those cards as components.)
Contraptions you control are 5/3 Juggernaut creatures in addition to their other types.
Whenever a Contraption you control dies, return one of its components to your hand.
"War is the only art that benefits from continually reusing the same material."
2/4

Siege Plating
Artifact - Equipment [SOG - U]
Equipped creature has hexproof and ": Untap this creature".
Equip
If Siege Plating is a component of a Contraption, that Contraption has hexproof and ": Untap this artifact."
"But what's the point of reusing things if you don't use them as often as possible?"

Note: The first ability synergizes strongly with Siege Engineer. The second ability had to work on her Juggernauts as well as normal Contraptions, which are typically noncreature artifacts with tap abilities. And of course they mirror each other.

Advocate of the Pale Sun
Creature - Spirit
Flying
Repurpose (Each nonland permanent you sacrifice as you cast this spell reduces its cost by that permanent's mana cost. Mana cost includes colour.)
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, return to your hand all cards that were put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn. If three or more permanents would be returned this way, you may return those permanents to the battlefield instead.
The Pale Sun, the symbol of House Idero, protected by the spirits of law, justice and honour even in the face of imminent catastrophe.
4/4

For reference and placeholding, here's my audition round submission. Follow the quote to get the blurb for my interpretation of the set.

Stone of the Pale Sun
Artifact
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, draw a card.
When CARDNAME is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, white creatures you control enter the battlefield this turn with a +1/+1 counter on them.
"When the Sun sets, may our Advocate rise to guide us during the night."
Stone inscription

I'm unsure whether it should have an ETB effect as well. On the one hand, it would scream "REPURPOSE!" if it only had the die trigger making it really obvious what it's supposed to do. On the other, the ETB makes it even better and doesn't leave a card that doesn't do much by itself. I'm torn.

ADDENDUM: I'm aware of this card's infinite combo potential with white persist creatures, but I'm unconcerned about it. Obviously there would be no persist in the set, and sometimes infinite combos happen even in Standard.

Lord of Remembrance

Creature – Spirit Avatar (R)
2/2

Martyr anything (Whenever any number of cards is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may sacrifice this permanent to return those cards to the zone they were moved from. If a card is put into your library this way, shuffle your library.)

"Genevi will be a city of the forgotten no more."

Book of Remembrance

Artifact (R)

, : Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
When Book of Remembrance is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you may shuffle your graveyard into your library.

Tended to by the long-lost spirits of the Eternal Scribes, it keeps the memory of a once-great city alive.

Fickle Spelgeon
Creature - Devil Shaman  (R)
Surge -- Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may exile it. If you do, flip a coin. If you win the flip, copy the exiled spell twice. You may cast the copies without paying their mana costs. If you lose the flip, draw a card.
4/3

Spelgeon's Toolkit
Artifact
Whenever a spell you control is copied, you may draw a card for each spell copied this turn.
Doctors and scientists are just like mechanics. They're only as good as their tools and as interesting as their targets.

Auditon Card
Molvino Wardmaster ()
Creature - Human Spellshaper R
, Discard a card: You may cast a copy of one of Molvino Wardmaster's spells:
///
Guard Glyphs
Creature - Wall 0/3
Defender, protection from no mana cost
///
Keep Pure
Instant
Counter target spell that targets a creature.
///
2/4

Molvino Aeroglyphs ()
Instant U
Target creature gains flying until end of turn. If Molvino Aeroglyphs is a white and blue Spellshaper’s spell, that creature also gains lifelink and hexproof until end of turn.
Template (When this spell card is put into your graveyard after resolving, you may exile it as one of target creature’s spells.)

Entropy Alchemist
|
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
, Discard a card: Return target card from your graveyard to the top of your library. If that card shares a type with the discarded card, draw a card.

2/2

Alchemist's Fetch |
Creature - Homunculus

When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card. Then, if it's madness cost was paid, return it to it's owner's hand.
Madness -

The alchemists have trained their fetches to ignore certain thought patterns, letting them skate the line between sanity and madness.

1/1

Genevian Vindicator 
Creature - Human Soldier
When Genevian Vindicator enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each non-Spirit creature you control.
When Genevian Vindicator attacks, Spirits you control get +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature card in your graveyard.
4/4
"No Genevian shall ever die in vain."

Genevian Cadet
Creature - Human Soldier
When Genevian Cadet enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
1/1
"May your ancestors guide you." - Kalas, Genevian vindicator

Elesa, Link to the Afterlife 
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
You may choose not to untap Elesa during your untap step.
, : Exile target creature.
When Elesa becomes untapped or leaves the battlefield, return all creatures exiled by Elesa to the battlefield.
2/3

Elesa's Paladin
Creature - Human Knight
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to legendary creatures you control.
: When target creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return that card to the battlefield.  When you do, put Elesa's Paladin on top of your library.  Activate this ability only once each turn.
4/4

This paladin does what a paladin does best: protect.  He stops Elesa from being damaged and if she is the target of a Doom Blade or something instead, he can still save her, but at the cost of tempo.

Autarch Fornax 
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Opponents suffer from mana burn.
Creatures you control deal damage to opponents in form of .
Give that Ragbone all the power he wants. He will burn from the inside, or become one of us. Either way, one less beggar on the streets.
8/4

Fornaxian Wrath
Instant
Add to target player's mana pool equal to the amount of damage dealt to that player this turn.
Unused mana produced this way causes mana burn. 

Round 1 Entry:
Reyu, the Exalted 
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (MR)
Vigilance
Discard a card at random: Put X 1/1 red and white Human creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield, where X is equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
Sacrifice those tokens at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn.
4/3

"Though his ability to lead is second to none, it is his capacity to inspire hope that would surely cause even the sun to follow him to the ends of the world and back." - Anonymous follower
-------------------------------------------

Current Round Entry:

Reyu's Soul Blade  
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has first strike and gets +2/+0.

Whenever equipped creature attacks, put X 1/1 white Spirit tokens with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking, where X is the number of human creature cards in your graveyard.  Exile these tokens at end of combat.

Equip

It rallies loyal phantoms from beyond the Veil that continue to fight for freedom.

Just now, I realized the wording on my card should be "When another target creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn."  I did not intend for it to work on itself, since its purpose is to protect others, not itself.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Okay, so I may have forgotten a teensy bit about this. Comments are done, I'll go over them once more with a clear head tomorrow and post 'em then.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
As promised...

Comments
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Molvino Aeroglyphs
Can I buy like 6 boxes of this set? Please? My only complaint is that this card should probably be better when you just straight up cast it to make it less parasitic. Maybe "white or blue" instead of "white and blue" as well. But seriously, I love the spellshaping.

Detektor
Siege Plating
I really like this interpretation of Contraptions. It's strange that "Siege Plating" gives hexproof (which feels like a magic defense) as opposed to toughness or indestructability, but it works/mirrors very well. Probably balanced as per Voltaic Construct.

Razorborne
Visions of the Eversage
It's a nice common that makes good use of the keyword. I do kind of wonder how the mechanic can work on cards other than this, because card-draw is essential to this actually working. Even this card, which requires 2 other spells while drawing 2 cards, you're still down 1 in total, making the next Fathoming  turn harder. Still, this card itsself is solid.

Imidazoline
Keeper's Ledger
I suppose it's okay, it's a Jayemdae Tome that at first doesn't work, but can become quite good (which is probably balanced because 4 and 4 mana is a lot. It wouldv'e been extra-neat if the ledger somehow gained counters from the graveyarding of card from the Keeper

Mono789
Elesa's Paladin
Costing 5 is probably a good cost to prevent infinite-saving power. Saving legendaries from damage seems unnessessarry, it feels like like it's fighting the other ability for wow-ness.

AnubisDread
Sentinel's Concience
Unhinge/Mind Ravel says that 3 mana doesn't get you a body, so it seems weird for a blue card to be above the curve here. Not that that's a huge deal, because I don’t think this is crazy broken, but still. The flavor text reads like it needs a good once-over, it doesn't really make sense.

pietro_aronica
Stone of the Pale Sun
The ETB should be fine, it gives shades of the Wellsprings from SoM block. I wish the leaves play ability was a little less head-smashingly obvious, maybe by not limiting to white creatures. Solid, average submission.

silasw
Genevian Cadet
Probably above the curve as 2 power for 2 mana, split between 2 creatures with partial evasion. I suppose there was Leonin Skyhunter, but that cost double-white, and didn’t need to be killed twice.

Freyjann
Reyu's Soul Blade
It feels like the triggered ability should somehow work with Reyu's generation of human tokens, but it doesn't. Without the connection, it's an oddly-tribal card that feels a little out of place.

CKY
Book of Rememberance
Seems pretty expensive, especially when considering Planar Portal. I don’t see why the leaves-play ability would be that relevant. It seems like it should interact with Matyr, but it doesn't really.

Degauss
Fornaxian Wrath
I feel like this is too good at R, seeing as how it can be most of a Final Punishment. They can attempt to bleed off mana with instants or activated abilities, but if you're facing a non-Red opponent, it might be too punishing. If it cost a little more, and had the option to give you mana for damage you dealt to combo with, that'd be cool.

Tekkahedron
Alchemist's Fetch
So, it's like 1U: instead of discarding a card, draw a card? Repeatable, too? That's preeeeeetty good. The flavor is cute, though.

Yushang
Spelgeon's Toolkit
Calling a Shaman a 'mechanic' and giving him a toolkit seems a little strange. I don't quite get the "as interesting as the targets" part either. The ability is pretty narrow, too. Extra-Crazy with Storm and such, but might be too useless otherwise.

Bottom 4, top to bottom
CKY
Degauss
Tekkahedron
Yushang
Calling a Shaman a 'mechanic' and giving him a toolkit seems a little strange. I don't quite get the "as interesting as the targets" part either. The ability is pretty narrow, too. Extra-Crazy with Storm and such, but might be too useless otherwise.

It's a spell surgeon.  Hence: Spelgon.  Fusion of the two words. :P 

The "as interesting" part is that normal boring cases are his work (taking apart and looking at spells) are normal and mudane.  He gets normal, if boring effects (cantrips)/etc.  However, whenever he gets an "interesting" spell, then fun stuff happens, like Warp World.

Almost everything is crazy with Storm, though.

It'd probably also be used with the card itself, and in the set that it was posted with, but those weren't said to matter.   Copying theme and everything.
\o/
the set is designed to make casting multiple spells easier. things like a cycle of one-mana cantrips and the return of cascade are all geared toward making Fathom and the other spell-enabled mechanics possible.

It's a spell surgeon.  Hence: Spelgon.  Fusion of the two words. :P

...I had no idea that's what it was supposed to mean. I'd have gone with the "stick two words together to make a new word" route that Wizards loves so much (like sunstriker, battleflight, bladetusk, huntbeast, etc)
The "as interesting" part is that normal boring cases are his work (taking apart and looking at spells) are normal and mudane.  He gets normal, if boring effects (cantrips)/etc.  However, whenever he gets an "interesting" spell, then fun stuff happens, like Warp World.

The way it reads is that the doctor/scientist/mechanic becomes a more interesting person when they're working on an interesting 'target', which seems strange. They get more interested, perhaps?
The way it reads is that the doctor/scientist/mechanic becomes a more interesting person when they're working on an interesting 'target', which seems strange. They get more interested, perhaps?

Nono, it's more interesting.  Doctors with weird quirks are always thought to be more interesting.  Those who study weird occult things (in media stuffs) are thought to be more interesting.
\o/
Heyyyy, it's comments time.
Comments
Imidazoline

I personally prefer scrolls, but lead page books are cool too I suppose. It's probably a bit better Jayemdae Tome, but that card isn't as impressive anymore, and it still has some upsides depending on matchups. However, that is what I like about the card. The biggest payoff is against aggro decks, but that's also the matchup where you get he least time to use it. The flavor does make it slightly odd to trigger from any card the way I read it, though.

razorborne

I really can't see this card being balanced, even if I'd love to see it printed. It seems like it's too easy to use as a +1 card advantage in any sort of dump your hand deck. Card advantage is obviously very valuable, and I don't think Fathom should be used on stuff that helps you keep the chain going. I would at least make it Fathom 3, so it requires a little bit of effort. Big fan of the flavor though.

AnubisDread

To me, this just looks like an Unhinge, but you upped it by adding a 1/1, and colorshifted it into a color that does't get discard as often, which would more commonly increase the cost, if anything. Not that Unhinge can't be obsoloted, and I don't think the card is overpowered in a troublesome way, it's a power breach imo. I also have troubles seeing how the flavor describes the process of both discard and draw, although I can apply it to either one.

Detektor

I'm surprised you managed to continue with this in a way that impresses me. For a joke mechanic you're making it into something quite cool. I'm not incredibly fond of the abilities the card gives though. It feels a bit cheesy in how easy it lets you make engines, even if they probably won't be too efficient. It looks like one of those cards casual players would hate. My other issue is that the flavor text doesn't make too much sense with the mechanic, assuming that it would be possible to assemble cards from zones other than the graveyard.

pietro_aronica

I find the card to be quite messy. Without the context of the ability, it's an incredibly weird card. Even with Repurpose, the ability you chose doesn't work too well with how you have to word it. The payoff also seems incredibly weak outside of that your one specific card, which is often a blowout anyway. While I like what the card is trying to do, the card itself doesn't appeal to me a lot.

CKY

I have no idea why, but I really like the card, even if there are many aspects I don't. The mana costs seem too high, I don't think looping Time Warps is too scary. I think the effect is closer in power to Jayemdae Tome than Planar Portal, personally. At first I thought it had the Darksteel Colossus clause, which I find strangely fitting, the optional Emrakul one is also quite cool.

Yushang

I think the card is too potentially abusive to the point where it limites design space for instants and sorceries in an oppressive way. While storm is the obvious one, it's also absurd with Gigadrowse, and copies is one of the easier ways to create keywords for instants and sorceries. The fact that it grows so quickly makes it too dangerous, and would probably be cooler if it just triggered whenever you copied something.

Elzaban_the_Ethereal

I really like what you're doing with the mechanic, it's a pleasant surprise for something I was going to tuck at the bottom the first round before I saw the render. Even if I still have some doubts to the potential complexity you can achieve. I like the concept here too, but I have two issues. The first one is the somewhat needless restriction. It's a hybrid spell, it shouldn't require being attached to a white and blue card, I'd change the extra effect to something that could reasonably fit into both colors. My other problem is that it's really hard to understand what the card does without context, so if it could be worded in a way that made more sense it would be neat. Possibly just saying "spellshaper" somewhere. The mechanic is also a bit parasitic, but that doesn't bother me as much.

Tekkahedron

I'm not sure if you wanted the card draw to be the one you put on the top with the alchemist or not, but for what it's worth, it doesn't work. However, the card itself does seem a bit too abusive. With a repeatable discard outlet, you can gain an absurdly high card advantage. I'm not entirely sure, as there aren't too many discard outlets that are actually good, but it does discourage the creation of new ones. It also creates some repetitive gamestates where you just reuse the madness multiple times a turn.

silasw

Haven't I seen this exact card (for the most part) in this contest? Aside from being blue and the creature itself had flying. It does fit better in white, as it has access to more efficient creatures, but it's also potentially troublesome with Crusade effects. Trading Raise the Alarm's instant speed for a flier does seem fair though. For such a simple card, there isn't much to grab onto to talk about, as the flavor text is also a bit simple, if not slightly too generic. It fits really well with the card though, at least, so it's not just tacked on.

Mono789

Elesa's Paladin seems to be really disconnected from Elesa herself, something I find to be strange. It's not like she's going to enter combat a whole lot, and given how much she cares about exile, the paladin seems to be going for the opposite of that. He's also really big for more or less a utility creature, costing you eight mana each time you want to use the ability. I also think he's going a bit overboard on the protection, and that the second ability is less interesting if you're going to want to play with legends, and he makes them less likely to die in combat.

Degauss

Would it be possible to make burning mana a characteristic, instead of always using so much space on determining it? I think that would make it slightly more appealing, although it would probably require reminder text. Either way, I like the card, but more in the aspect of using it on yourself. However, I fear that as a ritual, it's a bit too cheap. I'll give the benefit of the doubt, as I can't think of terribly many engine components that actually damage you a great amount, but it's certainly on the dangerous side.

Freyjann

Feels really similar to Runechanter's Pike. It's a bit strange to me that the tokens disappear in different manners between the two cards, even if they're different types. I get that it makes sense for humans to die and spirits to fade away. I really can't say I find the card terribly interesting though, the flavor is quite generic. I also think it could cost 1 less, but equipments have been a menace in standard for a while, so I'm okay with being on the cautious side.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Still waiting for Mown. I do have a guest judge lined up; not sure when I'll unleash said person, but if Mown is too busy at the moment, that time might be soon.
I had done quite a few comments yesterday, but I forgot to plug in the power cable, so I lost it <.<
I'll just have to decide the bottom four, but so far it looks to be easier than last round.

Yxoque wrote:

I'm going to disagree with Kavu quite a lot this round.
Bottom Four

AnubisDread
Freyjann
pietro_aronica
Tekkahedron

Yxoque wrote:

My rankings will be up in the morning. Next round will also be posted at that time.
It's morning somewhere.

Comments
I'm not necessarily looking for you cards to combo. A keen relationship can be shown in numerous ways. Hopefully, you put some thought into just how to tackle that facet.

Imidazoline

I like the subtlety of this interaction, and its a neat idea for your character to have. He's sort of a gatekeeper to some massive labyrinth of damnation, and the book is a neat way to jot down those who have perished. The mechanic is very flavorful, which wins me over more than anything.

razorborne

The glaring issue with this submission is how much it's married to the card that inspired it. That is, whether or not the card is sound mechanically, it's very much just the mechanic you already made, but on a standard card. The nature of contests scolds this a bit (though it doesn't necessarily rank you lower in my mind). The card itself feels a bit powerful; I somewhat fear the chains it can create at such a low cost. Fathom on anything that draws cards is straight-up scary! I wouldn't say this is broken, but it definitely feels above the curse. The flavor text was rather enjoyable.

AnubisDread

I've heard of some interesting justifications for blue forced discard, but this one isn't my favorite. You could have made it black and that easily would have sufficed. Your original card was even a zombie, adding credence to using another color! The card's simplicity is nice, but at the cost of being interesting, really. Putting it on a 1/1 creature just sorta makes it even more lackluster (though I could see reasons for doing so, I don't see them here).

Detektor

Ah, the contraption guy. I don't remember liking this all that much, but thought it showed plenty of thought and innovation. The card you made for it to wield is much more interesting. It hints at the contraption world you dreamed up and provides a real reason for me to want them to exist.

pietro_aronica

That last ability irks me. It'd be one thing if the stone dying pumped all your creatures. It's another thing that it asks you to find a bunch more creatures to play afterward. I get that it's there as a card that combos with Repurpose and the Advocate in general, but it reads awkwardly. Cards like that would much rather be elegant than force an exact interaction.

****eeyong

This is an odd connection. Your Book sorta does some things like your Lord, but not quite exactly. The connection and the inspiration just doesn't make a ton of sense. The card is fine; the trigger is a bit of a drawback to multiples of this, but multiples of this is sorta a drawback in itself. All in all, this card feels flat as far as the criteria goes, and is merely okay as far as design goes.

Yushang

A rather fierce, direct connection with this card. It's an interesting draw engine, totally stupid with storm (but that's more storm's fault), but fun and interesting.

Elzaban_the_Ethereal

This was a perfect opportunity to go simple, but your card just asks too much. The color restriction just doesn't need to be there; it already required that color to cast in the first place. The extra benefits also add some complications. The keyword is fine, and just adding that to a Spellshaper's supply seems fine. I like the idea, but your execution is all over the place.

Tekkahedron

This card is too comboy. What I mean is that this doesn't feel so much as something belonging to the original card, like the criteria wanted, and instead is just something that works well with it. The flavor and overall idea is what gives the odd feeling to me. It's also got an odd quirk that, while interesting on papaer, doesn't feel like it plays all that well.

silasw

This is my favorite of the simple commons posted so far. I try not to make comparisons in the nature, but I will here. You card isn't particularly exciting, but it does one, simple thing and elegantly supports your cause in two ways, even if it doesn't appear so at first glance.

Mono789

This card is fancier than the Legend herself! It's a shame you bogged this card down with extra abilities; the first one is rather interesting on its own. The second is just a long winded ability that just isn't all that interesting in combination with the first. This really should be two cards. Good thing is that I actually like both abilities. Your creature is awful big for a white fella.

Degauss

This is a good example of a card that is undercosted, not as a balance issue, but as an opportunity issue. What this does is very swingy, and it really wants to be costed higher just because of the immense effect it can produce from nowhere. That does nerf the card, but it's a card that can work that way. I like the idea, in general; it definitely belongs to your creature.

Freyjann

I don't get why this is Reyu's blade. Are you suggesting that with it, Reyu not only leads the living, but the incorporeal? I like that they both summon armies, but that's where the connection ends, and it's a meager connection at that.

My nominations
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
chi[mc][/mc]nkeeyong
pietro_aronica
AnubisDread

Eliminations
The more votes, the worse. The lower down the totem pole, the worse. The higher your overall score, the worse.

AnubisDread: 1 - 4 - 5
pietro_aronica33 - 6
Tekkahedron34 - 7

Thank you for your excellent participation, and for making it farther than I myself did in this competition (save one really inspired year). Please return for the group participation rounds later.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Next round is up, and it's a doozy. 

Disappointing, but thanks anyway...
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.