07/06/2012 TWTW: "Summer Blockbusters (and Sleeper Hits)"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Magmaquake doesn't damage players.

Apart from that, interesting analysis. Diabolic Revelation is certainly nuts for Johnnies. I remember when we used to make do with Insidious Dreams and we were happy with it :P

Magmaquake doesn't damage players.

And a good thing, too. I play with Chandra's Big Burn deck in DotP (an archetype I never realized could work), but one problem is how the mass removal of red hurts itself, and that's the last thing it needs against aggro-- it basically can do a large part of the job for them.

Is there something profoundly wrong with me that Fungal Sprouting and Sublime Archangel is the second thing I am thinking about when I look at the green cards? Probably, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give it a whirl—or open that combination in a Sealed Deck pool. Yes, I would like four tokens and a bonus attack of +5/+5 when I send in my Sublime Archangel.

Way too simplistic. Go Aven Squire, Knight of Glory and Sublime Archangel. Swing 9/8 with SArchangel. THEN Fungal Sprouting for 9. Then next turn swing 18/17 with SArchangel. 
Isn't Ghostly Flicker still on the stack when the creatures it targets return to play, making the Ghostly Flicker combo inoperable unless you have two of them?
Yes, but as far as I can tell by the time you have to pick targets, the Flicker is already in the graveyard. While abilties can trigger during the resolution of spells or abilities, they'll wait until those are done until anything actually is done about it.

L1 Judge

I'm still skeptical monoblack control will be viable. It could be primary black control-mostly black, with some support from the other colors, but i don't think it has enough finishers. Griselbrand is the only exception.
Yes, but as far as I can tell by the time you have to pick targets, the Flicker is already in the graveyard. While abilties can trigger during the resolution of spells or abilities, they'll wait until those are done until anything actually is done about it.

When an ability triggers it has to select it's targets then. I think the sequence should go Flicker starts resolving, creatures leave and return, abilities trigger (and must pick valid targets), game waits for Flicker to finish resolving before abilities go on stack, Flicker finishes resolving and goes to graveyard. So I agree the Flicker isn't available to target when the creatures return.

Is there a judge or rules guru who can say with certainty? 

When an ability triggers it has to select it's targets then. I think the sequence should go Flicker starts resolving, creatures leave and return, abilities trigger (and must pick valid targets), game waits for Flicker to finish resolving before abilities go on stack, Flicker finishes resolving and goes to graveyard. So I agree the Flicker isn't available to target when the creatures return.

Is there a judge or rules guru who can say with certainty? 

Wahooney is correct. The ability triggers in the middle of Ghostly Flicker's resolution, but targets are only chosen when it gets put on the stack, by which point Ghostly Flicker is in the graveyard.

I don't think this is spelled out completely explicitly in the Comp Rules anywhere, but it's reasonably clear from 603.3d and 601.2c.
Sign In to post comments