Planeswalker Creation Contest 3: Part 2

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello and welcome.

For those of you who have been here before you now how this goes. For those who don't:

Each round I will post a challenge. The challenge could be a race, a class, or a concept. ANyone who want may submit a planes walker that fits the challenge. The following round, while the next challenge is ongoing, we will vote for the previous challenge. The winner for each challenge will be added to the Hall of Fame. 

The deadline starts at a week from the begining of the challenge. As interest wanes the deadline can be moved up, but always with 24 hours notice at least. This is to keep momentum and interest.

There can be only one entry per person per week. If you change your mind later, remove your old walker and add your new one (or just edit the post so that the new walker is there). 

You are free, for now, to build off of M:EM work. However this privilage can be revoked if material is winning votes simply because of the M:EM. Nothing here is added into M:EM, unless you meet the requirements for entry over there and make the submission. This includes anything based off of M:EM material. If you don't know about the M:EM, check the link!

And so we begin a new.

Round 1: Out of the Mouths of Babes- Children
Round 2: Take the Bull by the Horns- Minotaurs
Round 3: Feme Fatales- Female Villans
Round 4: What Measure is a Monster- Non-Humanoids
Round 5: We Were Gods Once- Old Walkers

Round 6: Double Trouble- Teams
Round 7: By your Powers Combined- Elementalists
Round 8: Big Damn Heroes- Non White Heroes
Round 9: Instant Classic- Traditional Fantasy Races

Round10: When All You Have is a Hammer- Taskmages
Round 11: The Bigger They Are- The Big Guy/Girl

HALL OF FAME:
Round 1: Matal, the God Child - jedi123
Round 2: Keridor- Barinellos and Huudran the Living Maze- Keeperofmanynames
Round 3: Mirel Aegis- by Chronego
Round 4: Vikterys- by Barinellos and Mari Gwyn- by Tevish Szat
Round 5: Ilyria the Accursed- by TevishSzat
Round 6: Larasa Farleth and Morgan Voor- by Tevish Szat
Round 7: Kannak, the Frostborn- by hairlessThoctar and Olympia the Outcast - by Chronego
Round 8: Kamahiro, Ronin Sparkmage- TevishSzat
Round 9: Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar  
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Round 9 Voting:

Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar
Garwyn, Slaver- by Eddned
Myrna - Blue, Illusionist- by Chronego

Round 10: When All You Have is a Hammer

Taskmages.

Taskmages are characters with limited magic ability, usually pertaining to some work that they are hired for. They know only a handful of spells, maye even only one spell. Their spells fall within one discipline, rarely more if there task calls for it. These are mages who use magic for a specific job. Think spellshaper creature type.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar

Going in the order I read them:

Garwyn--

I like the character. You've got a very interesting setup here that has potential to really critique some of the inherent racism in traditional fantasy. And it's an interesting take on Merfolk, which have traditionally been depicted in Magic as being extremely imperialistic.

The only thing holding this entry back is that it just feels so brief. It's a good short pitch conceptually, but there's no emotional hook. You've got the start of one, but you don't really linger on Garwyn's feelings or give us a reason to empathize with him despite his racist beliefs, which is basically essential for a character like this.

Gwei--

My only criticism is that she doesn't have a huge reason to be a Planeswalker. The disappearence is important to her narrative, but could probably have been achieved in a different way. Still, I think you did a great job of making her race important in a way that, like Edd's entry, addresses themes explicit and implicit in classic fantasy.

Myrna--

This entry has me really torn, because I think you've got a great character here--one of the best we've seen. But, at the same time, you don't do a whole lot to play with the idea of the Halfling. Or, at least, I can see some of it coming through, but it's not nearly as pronounced as the other entries. You've got a great story, a great characterization, a REALLY cool Ascention story... but it stretches the prompt a lot.

You know, usually when I do these critiques I end up with a fairly clear front runner in my mind.

And this time I've just managed to confuse myself further. All the entries have really good elements, but all of them have a piece or two missing. Hm. I'll have to think about this further...
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Round 9 Voting:

Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar 1

Round 10: When All You Have is a Hammer

[this space intentionally left blank.  I'll be back with some ideas later]

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Round 9 Voting:

Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar 1
Myrna - Blue, Illusionist- by Chronego 1

I'm going to echo Keeper on Garwyn: There is potential there. Just not enough meat. With permission I would actually like to develop him some for use in the coven in M:EM.

Gwei- there is something that really captures me here. I like her, and see a lot of ptential for someone who has to solve conflict. A character with great potential. But the idea that both factions hated her, but then went to war over her death just doesn't add up. It feels so off. 

Myrna: Interesting. The idea of using blue magic to expand the thoughweft is intriguing. Her emotional emptiness is also interesting, especially because it comes from having been loving someone because they basically made her. However I have a problem with her: we had an earlier entry of a kithkin that was defined by her hatred of the thoughweft (aliet kind of reveresed). 

My vote is going to Myrna despite that. I'm kind of intriuged by her some of the story on her. Chronego do you think of her as a villian or a hero? 

You are Red/Blue!
But the idea that both factions hated her, but then went to war over her death just doesn't add up. It feels so off. 

That wasn't my intent.

What I was going for is that both sides were so itching for an excuse to go to war, that when Gwei disappeared, they both jumped on the chance to use her disappearance as an excuse to blame the other side for said disappearance as a declaration of war.

I guess my message wasn't very clear.

Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar 2

I like how Gwei's story really explores the implications of half-elves, and how they are caught between two (sometimes incompatible) worlds. Most fantasy ignores that aspect of half-breeds, so it's refreshing to see it handled so well, here. For that, Gwei gets my vote.

I did like Garwyn though. The idea of such a proud man brought so low is very Greek Drama (which I like a lot), and the backstory really adds depth to the merfolk of your world. Since merfolk generally don't have much of a definition beyond "they live in water" (not even in Magic), it's cool to see them separated from humans. However, the one thing that bugs me is that it shouldn't be that hard to undo the transformation spell, or at least learn a way to cast an illusion to restore his appearance. It seems like a somewhat weak motivation for the character, since it shouldn't take long to fix and then, what does he do? Return home for good?

Chronego do you think of her as a villian or a hero?

She's meant to be a mercenary, with no true affiliation with Good or Evil. She acts purely on logic, rather than emotions or empathy, so even when she does good deeds, she's not really heroic about it. She probably leans more villainous as, being a mercenary with no qualms against "atrocities", she'd be hired for some pretty dark jobs.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Hmmm ok well that shoots down my thoughts on her. For now. 

I'm always on the look out for candidates for the various stories and projects we work on. And I'm looking for some deceptive villians and such to use with the coven for various plot threads. ALthough as mercenary she could prove useful to them anyways. 
You are Red/Blue!
Chavdar the Eclipse
Human Assassin

Pitch to a Potential Employer
"They call me the Eclipse. You give me money, I make your problems go away. My specialty: poisons. I can make it look like a natural death, or I can make an example; either way, everyone wins. Well, except for the poor sap now lying facedown in a pool of his own vomit.

My price is high, but I have yet to meet an unsatisfied customer. You pay me, you get what you want, guaranteed. Half up front. And don't you think about skipping out on the bill; I've got a special poison reserved for those who try to cheat me.

Do we have a deal?"

Appearance
A dark figure, obscured by the shadows cast by the buildings of the city, stalks towards you. Even in the gloom, you can tell he is wearing a dark cloak with the hood drawn up, shielding his face from view. His hands are out of sight, tucked under the folds of his cloak.

He steps out of the shadows and into the torchlight cast from inside the tavern. His eyes scan your face from beneath his hood before he lowers it, revealing pale blonde hair and sunken black eyes. He has the ears of an elf, coming to a tip, but his nose is hooked, marking him as someone of foreign heritage.

Most jarring, however, is the silver mark on his right cheek. A tattoo of a skull, the jaw replaced with an embellished T, seems to glow in the soft light.

"Shall we go inside?" he asks in a quiet, deep voice.

How Did it Come to This?
On Inifime, the Assassin's Guild is the law. There is no one to oppose them.

Those who pay their protection fees are insured against harm: marked as off-limits to the thieves and killers of the Guild, and guaranteed a return of property stolen by the unregulated. Those who refuse to pay their fees are made examples. Those who cannot afford the fees pray to remain under the Guild's radar.

Chavdar was an assassin of the Guild, and one of the best. Having grown up poor, he'd had little choice: either join the Guild as an initiate, or become a test subject for the insane researchers of the Fedil Academy. He became an initiate at the age of thirteen, which was not uncommon; what was uncommon was that he survived the entry exam.

Initiates of the Guild are given an assignment to carry out before they are trained. Those who manage to kill the target and escape alive are admitted to the Guild; those who fail or refuse are marked as the next initiate's target. Chavdar didn't refuse, and he certainly didn't fail.

After his successful trial, he became a full-fledged initiate, and was trained in the arts of stealth and killing. He even developed a knack for poison magic, able to create crippling or deadly mixtures of toxins from nothing, applying the result to his weapons, whether dagger or crossbow bolt. He could tailor the poison to the task at hand, and became a useful asset to the Guild.

But the Guild is not perfect. Sometimes a mistake is made, and a protected target is chosen. Whenever this happens, the assassin is marked as a rogue agent and becomes a target of the Guild; they could never admit that the Guild targeted a protected citizen.

Chavdar was sent on such a mission, and upon his return was informed that he had just killed a protected citizen. He was reprimanded for the breach of protocol, and was issued a deathmark: a magical brand on his right cheek that marked him as an enemy of the Guild and a soon-to-be victim. Those so marked were shunned by everyone, whether or not affiliated with the guild; the mark was akin to becoming an outcast.

When the assassins showed up to kill Chavdar, he defended himself, and soon stood amidst half a dozen corpses. Knowing that they would not stop sending assassins until he was dead, he decided to go into hiding. As he slipped into the night and strode off in search of shelter, the darkness closed around him.

When he found light once again, he was no longer in the city. At first, a panic swept him, for on Inifime the wilderness was dangerous, even to the elves. Yet this was not the moss forest that housed the insectile formicids. There were real trees here, and grass beneath his feet. Wherever he was, it was much further than he'd planned on traveling.

His desire to escape had awakened his spark. He was now a planeswalker.

Life as an Outcast
Chavdar became a contract killer. His assassin training, mixed with his affinity for poison magic, made him one of the best, and he has established contacts on a dozen planes. He lives in luxury on these twelve worlds, though he constantly rues the fact that he is denied the chance to return home, thanks to his deathmark.

If the price is right, he will kill anyone, even a former employer. The tougher the job, the more he revels in it, for the thrill of the hunt is more motivation than even the weight of gold in his purse. That's not to say he'd ever work without pay.

But not all his time is spent killing. He still searches the multiverse, seeking out knowledge of new poisons, or new means to deliver them, whether with steel or direct spellcraft. One day, when he has accrued enough power and wealth, he may return home to bring down the Guild that shunned him for obeying orders.

The Card
It was tricky designing a Planeswalker with just one style of magic. I decided that it wouldn't fit to have a standard three-ability card. Fortunately, his assassin-for-hire style gave me the solution: his first ability would not be a loyalty ability. He's loyal to no man, merely to gold; if you want to increase his loyalty, you'll have to pay him more. So, without further ado:

Chavdar, the Eclipse -
Planeswalker - Chavdar
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay . If you do, put 2 loyalty counters on Chavdar, the Eclipse.
[-1]: The next time target creature becomes blocked this turn, destroy each creature blocking it.
[-6]: Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn. Creatures your opponents control get -2/-2 until end of turn.
[4]

This character is somewhat similar to my last entry, Myrna. Myrna probably could be labeled a Task Mage herself, after all; she only uses illusion magic, and is an agent for hire. However, Myrna tends towards jobs that don't involve killing, whereas Chavdar only takes jobs which require the elimination of a target.

Still, if I lose votes for the similarities, I don't mind. I had fun writing both characters, and I really do enjoy this style of character. I'll just make sure to retire it for a while, after this. If the contest continues *fingers crossed*
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Mercenary is a very wide arcetype and I feel the two are distinct.

Taskmages aren't just specialized in one discipline, they are specialized to only a few spells. They aren't arch mages. They are everyday working class mages. Which is actually the issue I* have with Chavdar: he feels to me like he has many spells, as opposed to only a few.

* While I take issue with it, others may not. 
You are Red/Blue!

Taskmages aren't just specialized in one discipline, they are specialized to only a few spells. They aren't arch mages. They are everyday working class mages. Which is actually the issue I* have with Chavdar: he feels to me like he has many spells, as opposed to only a few.

Well, she may not be the best example, but Jaya Ballard, Task Mage could do a lot of different spells involving fire. Poison is a lot more limited than fire, and in Magic terms it's pretty much one of two things: -X/-X, and granting Deathtouch. So while he may know how to make a lot of different poisons, their effects are really only two: weaken, or kill.

Still might be too general, but it's really difficult to have a Planeswalker who knows just one spell, since by their nature they have access to more spells than any ordinary mage ever could...

Well, she may not be the best example, but Jaya Ballard, Task Mage could do a lot of different spells involving fire. Poison is a lot more limited than fire, and in Magic terms it's pretty much one of two things: -X/-X, and granting Deathtouch. So while he may know how to make a lot of different poisons, their effects are really only two: weaken, or kill.

Still might be too general, but it's really difficult to have a Planeswalker who knows just one spell, since by their nature they have access to more spells than any ordinary mage ever could...

Hence the challenge. Look to the name (sometimes there is actually meaning in them): When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

But I can accept that arguement. Jaya is actually on the upper end of taskmage power. But you convinced me. 
You are Red/Blue!
One of the reasons I stopped participating (aside from becoming a father and graduating in july and a million other things) is that the limits on the characters started to become less thematic and more for the sake of restriction.  

"Femme Fatale" was a great idea that challenged a lot of players to write a compelling, independant female character (which, I personally found out is incredibly difficult for me).  You could have virtually anything, as long as she was female and people fell down and did not get back up.  Contrast that with the current contest: an incredibly gimped wizard.  (That's what I got out of this at least)

Much like Chronego's post above mine points out, a planeswalker and a taskmage are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to spell diversity.  Let's compare Chandra Nalar and Jaya Ballard.

Chandra: loads of fun ways to burn things with fire.  Like really, hundreds, maybe even thousands of ways to use fire.  Is each spell original? Most definitely not, but they are still there.  She also has a story that is tied in to her being a planeswalker, her spark is important in some way.  

Jaya: She's also a fire-loving female, with loads of color-pie appropriate passion, but she doesn't have the  same breadth of skills as Chandra.  She doesn't make phoenixes, for example.  Taking her card literally, she can do a few things: kill blue stuff, incinerate individuals, and cause massive firestorms.  That pretty awesome, and her card is some sexy sexy utility, but she's no planeswalker, and it would be a poor design on Creative's part to say 'this person should be a planeswalker'.  

What I am trying to do here is turn the design of this contest back into "choose a trope and build under it's umbrella".  Femme Fatale was awesome, because it was a common idea that many people could relate to.  Some of your potential ideas stink because they are incredibly MtG-centric.  If you really want to save this competition, you should spend some time looking over this list on TVtropes and pick a few of the characterization tropes for future stages of the contest.  The struggle should be about what makes the person tick, not thier job or thier species, which is what this contest has degenerated into.

I picked out a few and want to link them here for the benefit of all involved, and listed them here for you.

Addiction Displacement - a character was addicted to one thing, but substituted something else (hopefully morally acceptable, but then again, maybe not *wink wink writers*) and now copes with being addicted to that.  There is a whole ginormous pile of creative space in this trope for fleshing out characters.  They could be anyone, anywhere, any time.  They just have to deal with the inner striggle (addiction) and the outer struggle (changing that addiction because of the consequenses).  This contest would be epic, and even have room for heart wrenchingly awesome characters.

Broken Ace - a character that is good at everything, but the cost to get that good broke them.  Now, they are socially dissonant, hating the society that did this to them.  Now, slap some planeswalker powers on that, and you get an incredibly powerful antisocial wizard.  That is a great idea to run with.  We could have this come from all kinds of angles.  Each entry would invent a society, with a few values, and then illustrate how one member of that society absolutely hates it and is (unless diverted somehow *wink wink writers*) going to come down on it like a s--- ton of bricks.

Of the three I picked out, this one would be my favorite.  I've already got a U/G vedalken that's going to unleash some beastly mahem on his fomer lab mates.  Anyone else steal that idea, and there will be bears in your pants.  Many, many bears.

Chronic Hero Syndrone - a character that simply cannot say "It's someone else's problem".  They micromanage in the extreme.  They are the only ones whom they feel are competent, and heaven  help those who hurt the people that 'belong' (*wink wink writers*) to the character.  This character is obsessed, with a nice unhealthy splash of narcicism.  If you have a spare 40 hours or so, Google 'Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" for an extremely good example of how this can contribute to a deep, complex character.  

There are 3 excellent starting points, and I didn't even get into the fourth letter of the alphabet.  There are HUNDREDS of examples on the original page, and most of them would make for excellent contests.  Please, do this contest a favor and get the flavor of the week some more depth that "Kithkin".  Blurghrurgeriughrgrup.  

Okay, now I'm going to go drink some icewater and cool off.  And the bears need training.
-------------------------------------------------------------- "TAKE EVERYONE'S KEYS. Things are about to get awesome." -Steve Argyle
Halea the Windborne

Physical Description
Halea is a human female, ninteen years of age.  She is shorter than average (5'1").  She is slender.  Her skin is fair and heavily freckled.  Her eyes are blue-grey.  Her hair is auburn and kept in a short bob-cut.  Halea usually wears natural brown leather trousers with many pockets, a perriwinkle blue linen tunic, a natural brown leather vest, and goggles.  All her clothes are close-fitting.

History
Halea's early childhood was like many others.  Her family was neither particularly rich, nor very poor.  She had a brother three years her junior, and didn't know enough about the world to recognize the trades of her parents.  All that changed when she was eight, and found out to be a mage.

Mages, even weak ones like Halea, belonged to the guilds -- powerful trade orginizations that employed their skills.  When she cast her first spell (Blowing out a candle half a room away), her parents took her into the city, and submitted her to them.  There she was taken, with other young mages both willing as she was and unwilling, and the guilds chose ther new members from the common-born crop

With her paltry talent with air, Halea was selected by the House of Senders, the guild of messangers and couriers.  Over the next few years, they trained her, both in using her magic with little success, and in the tasks required of a sender, with somewhat greater success.  When she was twelve, she entered the ranks, more or less.

By then, she had only increased the force and duration of the winds she could conjure.  It wasn't a useful talent for any guild, much less the House of Senders, but Halea was eager to practice her new trade well, for she was most at home running or riding as the task required.

Still, she wasn't happy in the House of Senders, for she had no place.  To the other guild mages, she was a failure; a whelp with a useless talent, no better than an ordinary person.  To the common folk, she was a guild member, frightening and unapproachable except on business.  And to her masters in the House, she would always be common-born.

All that changed as Halea focused on her magic.  For years, she studied and practiced with one goal: she could launch a cutpurse or a training dummy, or hold a running man at bay.  Why, then, couldn't she lift herself with the winds?  Why couldn't she fly?

And, when she was fifteen, after countless attempts that merely sent her sprawling, Halea discovered that she could.  It all made sense, the same way that calling up winds had when she was eight.  The pieces locked into place, and her speed and control grew rapidly.  Her new-found skill brought her two things.  First, it brought her the respect she had sought.  While no one wanted a green girl running their messages, the haste afforded by her flight quickly made her among the most desireable Senders.  Second, it brought her joy, for never had she felt more at home than in the boundless sky.

Good years followed, as the small measures of fame, fortune, and freedom that Halea had earned agreed with her very well.  But it was not to last -- as she learned to fly at least as fast as drake-riders, the most critical sendings came to her, ones in which third parties took interest.

While bearing such a message, a scroll bound from one king to another, Halea was ambushed in the open sky.  The griffin-riders that attacked her were relentless, and while focusing on her spell of flight she couldn't fight back effectivley.  Finally, one of them struck her a cruel blow and, dazed, she fell.

Halea regained her senses only a split second from impact -- far enough to realize what was going to happen, but too close to stop it.  She closed her eyes... and hit nothing.  For a moment after re-assuming her senses in the Blind Eternities, she thought she had simply died instantly, but the understanding followed shortly.

Halea's second Planeswalk was home to finish her task, but after that, she decided she would not be returning to the House of Senders.  The multiverse was far too big for her to ignore, and the way she saw things, other planes were far beyond the jurisdiction of guilds.  She was free.

The Short Version
On Halea's home plane, Mages are required to serve a guild.  Guilds are dedicated to particular trades, and Halea was chosen by the guild that controls messangers and couriers.  Once Halea learned how to fly, her talents brought her fame, fortune, and danger... the latter of which caught up to her when she was ambushed carrying sensitive diplomatic documents from one kingdom to another.  She would have been killed, but her Planeswalker spark ignited.  After making her last delivery, she saw no reason to have to go back.

Personality/Philosophy
Halea is young and eager.  In some ways, she still doesn't understand the harshness of the Multiverse.  Though she's certainly starting to learn, she doesn't let anything get her down: persistance and optimisim are her best traits, stubbornness and naievite her worst.

Halea enjoys the feeling of freedom, something that she never experienced in an absolute sense before going off into the planes.  At the same time, she likes to have a purpose, and feels lost if she's not striving for something.  Thankfully, there's a lot to strive for in the planes, especially when it comes to exploration.

Powers

Halea is a mere taskmage, with access to a few spells:
1) Flight: By manipulating the winds around herself, Halea can fly.  It's very quick flight, and she has perfect maneuverability -- turning on a dime, vertical take off and landing, and the ability to hover.
2) Wind Blasts: Halea can't manipulate winds carefully enough around anything but herself to move it with percision, but she can use strong bursts of wind to "push" targets.  She can sustain the force to create a wall of sorts, but this takes all her concentration.

Aside from her spells, Halea has little going for her -- she's very agile, but she doesn't really know how to fight.  In combat, she's learned to just avoid and evade long enough to take to the skies.

YMTC

Halea the Windborne

Planeswalker - Halea
[+1]: Tap target creature with power 2 or less.
[-2]: Untap target permanent
[-3]: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature with flying would deal combat damage to you, it deals that much damage minus 1 instead".
[2]

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D

Frankly Arbatracious it's not restrictive. I repeat in the past we got plenty of entries off of just race. Aven, Gorgon, Elf, Goblin. We got plenty. 

Second: Race is something that has often been suggested by  people. The amount of times race has come up in "I want x type of planeswalker" I would have thought them our best weeks. And while we only got three entries last week they all played into strong themes for their race and made interesting characters (some of the most interesting characters we've had in the contest honestly). 

Next: Chronic Hero Syndrome. We are going to get a bunch of white knight templars. I will use Femme Fatales as an example where in 2 days we had 3 brain washed zealot women in the contest. With something as open as that we still had three of the same characters within 2 days. It's the exact same reason I won't make a "x color _____", requiring something like that locks into what is possible. 

Broken Ace: The magic will change but the basic character idea won't. They will all be antisocial wizards as you describe. Same characters different trappings.

Addiction Displacement: I do this to make up for not doing this. After three sob storries about replacing this with that I'm not going to care anymore.

The tropes you suggest aren't as open as you think they are. They great things to layer into a character, but to build a challenge around them is going to get a bunch of similar characters. They aren't "I'm a female villian" they are "I can't stop saving people".

Next I give you our hero week: Just as small turn out as others and the only thing I removed was being able to rely on white for heroes. And this was a suggested theme that someone in the contest wanted. As was Oldwalker, and a few other challenges I've proposed. 

Tropes is an idea but it needs to be "The Big Guy", which was almost this weeks contest. I decided against it because I figured people would struggle making the size relevant to the character. 

There is a difference between make a villian and make a big bad. Even more of a difference between villian and mad scientist. The prompt should allow for multiple smaller archetypes. 

Let's look at last week. In particular the least developed entry of them, that I happen to thing was the most solid concept: Garwyn. he could have been anyrace, but playing into the empyrial concept of Merfolk that is common a very interesting idea was created. Gwei was a very original character while on the surface had nothing to do with her race. And yet when looking closer she is defined by it. Myrna is defined by her dislike of a key part of Lorwyn kithkin. They looked at a race and built a character off part of their themes. 

Much like Taskmage is a theme for characters who have limited tools, but higher resourcefulness because of it. This is a character with limits they have to overcome. A sailor who knows limited aeromancy to diect ships, all of sudden finds themselves using the same spells to banish rabid baloths and send themselves flying over walls.

I will admit Minotaur was too restrictive, and Oldwalker wasn't accessible enough for the those unfamiliar with them. I will even admit that this week may succumb to taskmage being a nebulous term. But tropes as specific as the 3 you mentioned will only lead to repetitive characters. 

But in the end: One of my goals is to allow people to throw in tropes of their own chosing. Child wwas actually one of the best and most diverse weeks because everyone was tapping into themeatic parts of a children. Much like the entries for this week they added other tropes (We got a Chronic Hero Syndrome character from the last contest) onto a set of themes commonly used by the race. Their characters could have been any race honestly, but by tieing them into their race they made stronger characters. I wanted to give you something thematicthat you can layer more ideas and have a bunch of diverse characters. I don't want to spend every week picking the best "antisocial wizard" "tryhard hero" "junkie", but I want to see those style things placed over the Emperial Merfolk. The working class wizard. The curious goblin. 

Also: Jaya is a planeswalker. She was in fact the inspiration for this contest prompt. She is also a rather beloved character of many fans: so it wasn't bad onc reative's part. 

All that said: Maybe I should step down. As Barinellos loved to point out at the begining, and now Arbatracious has taken to saying, I just can't run this and have it work. I just approach the creation process from totally different  angles than most of you. I will take your "advice" into consideration. To be clear if I step down I will encourage someone else to take over running the contest.

You are Red/Blue!
Frankly Arbatracious it's not restrictive..... There is a difference between make a villian and make a big bad. Even more of a difference between villian and mad scientist. The prompt should allow for multiple smaller archetypes.

I think part of the problem is that it's not restrictive enough. As MaRo is fond of saying, "Restrictions breed creativity." Something as general as race doesn't give much of a jumping off point; it doesn't really inspire ideas, because there isn't much to build off of. Arbatracious's suggestions might be a little too restrictive. I think the best is somewhere in between: enough to get the mind working around the restriction, but not enough to shoehorn everyone into using the same tropes.

Femme Fatale was brilliant because it told you that you had to find a way to put a unique spin on "female villain who weaponized her charisma", but didn't say you had to make "The Vamp" or "The Black Widow". Similarly, Child was a great middle road, because there's a lot you can do with it, but it gives you something to build from.

The hard part is finding something just restrictive enough that still allows freedom. It's a tough job, and I don't envy you, Jedi.

Myrna is defined by her dislike of a key part of Lorwyn kithkin.

Completely off-topic here, but I have to correct this. I didn't write her to dislike/hate the thoughtweft. What defines her is what impact it had on her life (stunting her emotional growth). She doesn't mind the thoughtweft itself; she just avoids using her souped-up version because she wants to find a way to feel emotions on her own, rather than giving in to the temptation to borrow the emotions of others for a "quick fix", so to speak.

All that said: Maybe I should step down. As Barinellos loved to point out at the begining, and now Arbatracious has taken to saying, I just can't run this and have it work. I just approach the creation process from totally different  angles than most of you. I will take your "advice" into consideration. To be clear if I step down I will encourage someone else to take over running the contest.

Might I suggest we find a way to allow someone different to pick the criteria each week, maybe the person who won, or if that fails, the person who steps up first? This would: a) get more people excited, because it gets them thinking about what criteria they want to pick for their turn; b) mix up the style each week, to keep us all guessing; and c) take the presssure of having to constantly brainstorm new ideas off of a single person.
I do think Tropes are a good way of looking at possible criteria, though the specific examples might not be the best.  Specifically, Characterization Tropes are probably the best place to mine from.

I'll delve deeper into TV Tropes, alot of the ones that come to mind I feel restrictrive. I'll  look more deeply into them.

And some help with prompt brainstorming would helpful. I have a lot going with trying to start my career.

@Chronego: Ok but she is still defined by part of being a Lorwyn Kithkin, rather than just bein another telepath. 
You are Red/Blue!
Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar 3

I do like mine, but I will give me vote to Gwei.
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
You know, we actually had a near regular number of entries for Minotaurs... Just, you know, interjecting that into the discussion of how hard and terrible race-based entries are.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
This contest will end tuesday at midnight. I will run at least one more challenge with a trop and see if that helps.
You are Red/Blue!
I'm having a bit of trouble this round.

I was always under the impression that a Magic who specialized in a very small number of spells and refined those skills in those spells was the flavor definition of the Spellshaper creature type.

And that Task Mages weren't necessarily restricted to one or two spells, but were rather spellcasters who chose to become mercenaries.
I'm having a bit of trouble this round.

I was always under the impression that a Magic who specialized in a very small number of spells and refined those skills in those spells was the flavor definition of the Spellshaper creature type.

And that Task Mages weren't necessarily restricted to one or two spells, but were rather spellcasters who chose to become mercenaries.

Don't get hung up in the name. If it helps you more think of a spellshaper for this contest*, as thats the word that goes with the defenition I gave for you. 

Taskmages to me were always working class mages. Oddly enough the only taskmage card we have (Jaya Ballard, Task Mage), is creature type spellshaper. So maybe that's where I took the definition from.

* I hate the type spellshaper. It is the most unflavorful type inexistence to me. They are supposed to represent mages with only 1 (or 3 in Jaya's case) spells that they can cast reliably. Mechanics they do this by turning any card in your hand into that spell. They could be wizards, but instead they get a name that really doesn't make sense with the flavor trying to be captured but rather the mechanics of the flavor. Would it really be so bad to make them wizards or some other spellcaster type.

/rant 
You are Red/Blue!
mkay
I have an idea for a contest: Phobias. It's open-ended, since there's a wide variety from which to choose as far as fears are concerned; but it's restrictive enough to give a jumping-off point.

Anyone? Yea, nay?
Yeeeees, this is a very good idea.
I have an idea for a contest: Phobias. It's open-ended, since there's a wide variety from which to choose as far as fears are concerned; but it's restrictive enough to give a jumping-off point.

Anyone? Yea, nay?

Let me think about it. On one hand you're right it's a good starting point, but like Arbatracious' list I feel it may lead to a lot of very similar characters. The phobia has to be a large part of the character (rather than something layered in), meaning I feel like we'll get a lot of people who are running through the multiverse. If each of the characters has to have a fear that is that important to them then they are likely either running from it or learning to deal with it: either way it's gonna be a lot of the same plot.

I do agree with people that Child and Female Villians were the best contests. The main reason though is that they are defining characteristics that have serveral tropes that can be incorporated. With children we had free spirits, the spoiled brat, the one emulating a parent. Hell the winning entry (trying not to toot my horn) was a mixture of the enfant terrible, tyke bomb, and spoiled brat. I think this is the mix for success: wide archetypes that can have several tropes woven into one character to make a new and unique character. Finding blankets this wide open may be problematic. 

How do people feel about the big guy or the mentor as challenges?
You are Red/Blue!

I tried writing a Mentor with Ghislain Scrapforge. That is one stifling trope.

The Big Guy might work. There are a lot of ways to take it (the tropes page lists five right there). I would probably enjoy that.

And yes, the Phobia one might lead to a lot of similar characters, but it might not. Depending on the phobia chosen, the way in which a character reacts could vary quite a bit. An arachnophobe and a claustrophobe, for instance, would have very different ideas of where to travel, what they'll do when there, and why they want to travel in the first place. And there are a lot of ways to confront a fear: good old complete avoidance, attempting to confront it, studying it, or even trying to find some magical way to remove your fear entirely.

I'd better stop, I'm giving myself ideas...

I tried writing a Mentor with Ghislain Scrapforge. That is one stifling trope.

The Big Guy might work. There are a lot of ways to take it (the tropes page lists five right there). I would probably enjoy that.

And yes, the Phobia one might lead to a lot of similar characters, but it might not. Depending on the phobia chosen, the way in which a character reacts could vary quite a bit. An arachnophobe and a claustrophobe, for instance, would have very different ideas of where to travel, what they'll do when there, and why they want to travel in the first place. And there are a lot of ways to confront a fear: good old complete avoidance, attempting to confront it, studying it, or even trying to find some magical way to remove your fear entirely.

I'd better stop, I'm giving myself ideas...

Use those ideas on a character weather or not Phobia is a contest. 

I'm hesitant because, for me, building a character off a fear of spiders or whatever. But then when I don't have writer's block I can build off race/magic type. Asher, a character that has been pretty popular over at the M:EM, was designed because I wanted a dementia casting walker. I start with the trappings and lay then find archetypes to fit. That may be one of the problems is I approach building differently. I'll look into this. 
You are Red/Blue!
But then when I don't have writer's block I can build off race/magic type. Asher, a character that has been pretty popular over at the M:EM, was designed because I wanted a dementia casting walker. I start with the trappings and lay then find archetypes to fit. That may be one of the problems is I approach building differently. I'll look into this. 

I think most people write that way... when they're coming into it with a desire to write. When you're motivated to write, you usually have a core concept already, and a love of the concept that motivates you to flesh it out, breathe life into it, and let it fly free.

But for a contest, where people are coming in cold sometimes, you need to supply enough of an idea to jump-start the participants. We don't necessarily come in with a strong desire to create "character X"; we come with a desire to be enticed into coming up with an idea from scratch. And sitting there with such a broad scope as "a standard fantasy race" or "an elementalist" leaves us with no spark. We need a platform to get us thinking. "Someone with a phobia... Oh, that gives me an idea!"

Just my two cents. You're looking at this as "I don't want to limit their options, because they've all got great ideas." We're looking at this as "But... that's not enough to spark a cool idea from."
But then when I don't have writer's block I can build off race/magic type. Asher, a character that has been pretty popular over at the M:EM, was designed because I wanted a dementia casting walker. I start with the trappings and lay then find archetypes to fit. That may be one of the problems is I approach building differently. I'll look into this. 

I think most people write that way... when they're coming into it with a desire to write. When you're motivated to write, you usually have a core concept already, and a love of the concept that motivates you to flesh it out, breathe life into it, and let it fly free.

But for a contest, where people are coming in cold sometimes, you need to supply enough of an idea to jump-start the participants. We don't necessarily come in with a strong desire to create "character X"; we come with a desire to be enticed into coming up with an idea from scratch. And sitting there with such a broad scope as "a standard fantasy race" or "an elementalist" leaves us with no spark. We need a platform to get us thinking. "Someone with a phobia... Oh, that gives me an idea!"

Just my two cents. You're looking at this as "I don't want to limit their options, because they've all got great ideas." We're looking at this as "But... that's not enough to spark a cool idea from."

Yeah like I said: Running this I want to see a lot of cool characters. Participating in this you guys want to make 1 cool character. (speaking per each contest) So my challenge is finding things that inspire each of you to make a unique cool character. 

It's a matter of perspective: to me there is equal inspiration from "phobia" and "fantasy race". They both have a certain baggage that come with them, and give me things to work from and with. It's just part of the theme of the character. But thats to me, and I honestly am less inspired by phobias than races. But this is all personal preference, not right or wrong.

You are Red/Blue!
Kariya, Sporemother

History
Show
She couldn't hear it anymore, it's pulse had weakened substancially. It once was that when Kariya walked among through the woods she called home, she could feel the heartbeat of the world beneath her feet. Hear it in the air. Hear it from the trees. Hear it the breath of all the animals. It would grow louder as it bunched together into leylines and then spread apart again.
Not anymore. Something had changed. She had no idea what it could be.

Her elders didn't "hear" as well as she did, but they too noticed a change, and it frightened them as well. Grandfather Drell said that in his hundreds of years he had never heard of the forest going quiet. His grandfather had never heard the forest grow quiet. His grandfather's grandfather had never heard the voice grow quiet. In all of the recorded lifetimes of the Elvish people, the forest had always been quiet loud, and elves lead long lives.

Growing up, her mother had taught her that all life was inherently the same. Though they walked different paths, anything that drew breath sought purpose and fulfillment and happiness, and that she should do her best to see that in other people and encourage it. So she had. She had personally made pilgrimages to the very edges of the continent in her life, and had thusly made friends the world over. She sought them ought again at this venture. She visited the nomads of the plains, and the soldiers in the cities to see if they knew what was wrong. She visited the seafolk at their beaches and the skyfolk at their cliffs to see if they knew what was wrong. She visited the barbarians on their craggy ledges, and the gobs in their lowland valleys to see if they knew what was wrong. She even visited the much maligned warlocks and shamans of the vast cess to see if they knew what was wrong. Everywhere she went she heard the same story; There was something going on but no one knew what was behind it. It just seemed "off" in ways that no one could fully comprehend.

Her days began to bleed together as she began to lose sleep. She would try her magic, she would whisper to the plants, tell them that everything was okay. Nothing. Not even a peep. She was beside herself with worry. Days turned into weeks into months. She was losing hope. She fell to sleep.
I need your help.
She awoke. She thought she heard the pulse. She sat up and listened. Quiet. Though she listened for minutes, it felt like hours.
Need... your...
She definitely heard it that time. She sprang from her bed and went outside her hut. And again, waited.
Kariya...
It was coming from the wood. From the very heart of the wood.
Without hesitation, she headed in that direction. She walked for she did not know how long. It felt like forever. She would hear the voice every now and then, and it grew steadily louder. Eventually, she wandered into a clearing. In any other clearing she would have marveled at it, she had never seen such distance between the trees in the wood before. The distance was not what caught her eye though. It was what was in the clearing. A mass. An enormous mass of plant matter, writhing and undulating. She stared at it for a time, before gathering the courage to step into the clearing proper.

In an instant, the mass stopped. After a breif pause, it began to shift again, in a different way. She wasn't sure, but she thought it was turning to face her. It began to take shape. It grew thin at the bottom and sprouted two large limbs from the top that twisted and turned into what could be called arms. The arms split out to the sides of the mass and a third lump began to form between them. It churned until it eventually took shape into what she thought to be a head. Three holes split open for the mouth and eyes. She stood before an enormous planty humanoid shape.
Kariya, it is so good to finally meet you.

The plant man-thing introduced himself. His name was Massomi, and he was the heart of this wood; it's maro-sorcerer. It was the forest and the forest was it.
I had hoped I would someday meet you under more agreeable circumstances, but such is not to be. I shall be frank; our world is dying. There is nothing that can save it.
She blinked several times, and then tried to speak. Words would not come out. She stuttered. Eventually the words came to her
"What."
He elaborated. Their world wasn't really dying, it had never been alive to begin with. Their world had been birthed millenia ago by a godlike being. Massomi had been the first thing to come to be on the plane, and he had watched over the course of times immesurable as life came and went, kingdoms rose and fell. He explained that every so often, the creator would return and renew the magics used to birth the plane, keeping it alive for that much longer. This god was late. Very late. And without this god, the world had begun to atrophy.
Massomi had tried everything he could to sustain the world, but it was not enough. So he formed a different strategy. He had rememebered stories the god had told him, about others like him. Many others. That they would just sometimes happened, that anything that drew breath had a chance at this godhood.

When you were born, I thought I sensed such potential. Potential not unlike our forefather. I wasn't sure who it had been, but I am now. I am convinced that you are our god, reborn. Hope renewed for our world.
You are a Planeswalker.

"But what does that mean?"

Massomi was not entirely sure himself, but if anyone could find out what had happened to the god, or how to save their world, or even if it could be saved.

Though our world may die, it's voice will continue in you my child. Our culture will not fade. Our language will remain spoken. Our blood will yet flow. You are not of our world. You are our world.
Never forget that.

Massomi closed his eyes and began to chant softly. He began to glow.
This is my gift to you child.
He reached out a hand and placed a single finger upon Kariya's forehead.
It is all of our world's magic that I could gather that yet remains. I hope it serves you well.

It was more painful than Kariya had thought it would be. She imagined it was what a tree growing inside of her would feel like. Its roots spreading through her body, finding out nooks and crannies that were not there and filling them. She felt like she was on fire and drowning and freezing and falling. Everything went quiet. Something had changed.

And then she heard a whisper. Like her woods used to sound. She had almost forgotten what it sounded like. She sat up. It was a forest unlike what she was accustomed to, creatures not like the ones she knew. The sky was different colors, the grass had a different texture. Everything was different. She walked up to one of the trees, they were shorter than the ones back home and they were covered in brightly colored fruit. She put her hand upon it. She could hear its heartbeat. It was beautiful. She took her hand away and there were vines growing between her hand and the tree. She jumped back in fright. From the point where her hand had been, a small planty mass began to grow. It looked like a saproling from back home, but different somehow. Its likeness looked like one of the trees here; wheras the ones back home looked like the trees back home. She had always had a penchant for plantlife, but it was never this prolific. Plantcalling was a rare gift back home, and she dabbled but never like this. So quickly, so big. Massomi's gift more than likely.

She was overwhelmed. So much was going on all at once. She could hear the world around her again, but she had no one to share it with.

She began to cry...."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

Appearance
Show
Kariya is an elf of average height. Her hair is cut short and is dirty blonde. Her skin is a pale greyish-brown, and resembles tree bark in color and pattern, though not texture. Her eyes are fairly large and hazel. Her body is crisscrossed with pronounced veins, actually the roots of the plant magic that Massomi had granted her. She often wears a flower in her hair, grown from her own body.

Her clothes are simple and resemble leather though they are actually made from stripped tree bark.

Personality
Show
Kariya is a kindly soul, her culture has a firm belief in the sanctity of life, all life, no matter how alien it might be. Her capacity to sense life has only exaggarated that belief. Kariya hates unnecessary death, and will do everything in her power to stop it. She is a bit naive that way, she has trouble accepting that a conflict can be solved without bloodshed. Should she ever encounter such a dilemma, it will surely put everything she believes in to the test.

She is overwhelmed as of late with her new found powers and what to do with them. She wants to try to save her home somehow, but she has no idea where to start, or if she even can. While that's going on, she is constantly seeing smaller, more manageable problems all around her. It's very conflicting to her.

Power
Show
Saprolings. Kariya can make a messload of saprolings.

Her kind has an innate ability to sense other lifeforms, or indeed life itself, in the form of a steady rhythm they hear in their head. This isn't particularly magical, they can do it innately, though hers has strengthened considerably since Massomi's gift.

YMTC
Show

Kariya, Sporemother

+1: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
-X: Put X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-8: For each creature you control, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
I actually considered making my Task Mage a saproling user... he was going to go into Construction, like on Ravnica or something.

Mostly, I just liked the mental image of saprolings wearing hard hats.
Mostly, I just liked the mental image of saprolings wearing hard hats.

I have an image of Kariya wearing a saproling as a weird hat. Does that count?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Mostly, I just liked the mental image of saprolings wearing hard hats.

I have an image of Kariya wearing a saproling as a weird hat.

Awesome! Forget selling services like an ordinary task mage... she'll sell sapro-hats!
Round 9 Voting Results:
Gwei, the Whipsering Wind- by HairlessThoctar 3
Myrna - Blue, Illusionist- by Chronego 1

Round 10 Voting:
Chavdar the Eclipse- by Chronego
Halea the Windborne- by TevishSzat
Kariya, Sporemother- by hairlessThoctar

Round 11: The Bigger They Are...

This weeks prompt is to make The Big Guy. Not as part of a group, necessarily. Any of the variations of the archetype are open. 

You are Red/Blue!
Oh fudge I forgot to vote. :/
Chavdar the Eclipse- by Chronego
Halea the Windborne- by TevishSzat   1
Kariya, Sporemother- by hairlessThoctar

I liked both entries. Still, I have to choose one. So, as much as I love saprolings, I liked the Windborne slightly more. She genuinely felt like a weaker mage, which fits the criteria better.

I didn't realize how hard it would be to make The Big Guy magical. Compounding this problem is that I've chosen to adapt yet another character from my novel, one who is, again, not innately magical. I feel like my attaching magic to the character feels unnatural... That is the downside of a Planeswalker creation contest, I guess. Some concepts just work better as mundanes.

Anyway, allow me to introduce Jogar, son of Gowyr, Genius Bruisers meets Gentle Giant:

History
In the year 514 AWR, ships carrying invaders landed on the southern shores of Descara. The Descarans were a nomadic people, and were used to near-constant war; nonetheless, they were not equipped to handle this threat.

The invaders, who called themselves Percipians, brought war machines and enchanted weapons and armor. Though they were outnumbered, they had superior technology, making the sides roughly equal in strength. The Percipians swept across the southern reaches of Descara largely uncontested. By the time the Descarans gathered a resistance force, they had lost a large swath of their nation.

The war raged for the better part of a decade, but neither side was able to push the border far in either direction; the Descarans could not regain lost territory, but neither could the Percipians capture more land. Finally, fearing that the struggle would weaken them to other dangers, the Descarans sued for peace.

Even though open hostilities ended, there were hard feelings on both sides. The Percipians had been granted undisputed rights to the land they'd taken in the invasion, and there were many Descaran tribes who resented the loss of that territory. Nonetheless, not everyone felt the same.

One such man, Garnoc, felt quite the reverse. He caught the eye of a Percipian woman, Narella, and the two were soon closer than friends. Of course, Garnoc's tribe did not appreciate this; he was branded a traitor, and cast out of the tribe.

Garnoc begat Gowyr who begat Jogar, and still the line was shunned. Jogar grew up in the nation of Pecuna, to the east of his homeland of Descara. Though he was raised with a mix of Descaran and Percipian customs, he still knew that he belonged to neither culture. It would haunt him until the day his entire life changed.

Who Is Jogar?
Jogar is a human. He is descended from the proud line of the Descarans, a nomadic warrior race. Yet his grandmother is a Percipian, former enemies of the Descarans, now uneasy allies.

Jogar is a large man, even for a Descaran. He stands roughly six and a half feet tall, and is heavily muscled to match. His people tend to wear supple leather armor over silk shirts; Jogar, as if afraid to admit his forbidden heritage, instead wears chainmail. When armor is not essential, he wears a simple brown tunic and pants, belted around the waist with a simple leather belt.

On his back he wears his preferred weapon, a two-handed axe. The axe bears silver runes, etched into it to enhance its physical properties; it was a gift from Narella to Garnoc, passed down to Jogar. A crossbow hangs from his belt.

He keeps his head shaved. Among the Descarans, this is a sign of weakness. Whenever a warrior loses in battle, he cuts his hair, so that the strongest warriors tend to have the longest hair. A shaved head means a warrior has lost every battle. However, in Jogar's case, his hairstyle is instead indicative of his feelings of inadequacy as a half-breed.

From his Percipian ancestry, Jogar has innate talent with enchanting, especially weapons. The axe he carries was crafted by his own grandmother, as a gift to his grandfather on their wedding day. He strives to create a weapon of such quality, someday.

He hates being confined. Descarans are a nomadic people, which fits quite well with his planeswalking. He travels the planes, rather than the plains, but the principle is the same; no home holds his roots for long.

Many people define Jogar by his size. They see a brute, with more brawn than brains. Jogar does not fight this stereotype, preferring to keep to himself, only speaking rarely, and even then keeps it as terse as possible. Those who get to know him, however, see the gentleness behind the giant stature. They see the brilliant tactical mind that underlies his physical size. His friends and enemies alike respect him.

Jogar's history
Born an outcast, Jogar grew up thinking himself flawed in some way. His father taught him the ways of the Descarans: the use of weapons, how to ride a horse, how to care for his arms and armor. His grandmother taught him the ways of the Percipians: runecrafting (enchanting objects), a love of knowledge, and the art of research.

Jogar showed a particular affinity for tactical thinking. Though skilled in one-on-one combat, he specialized in planning and finding the enemy's weakness. When time came to find employment, he became a mercenary, one of the most prestigious jobs in the duchy of Na Haric.

The thing about mercenaries in Na Haric is that many mercenary groups function as a sort of Thieves' Guild: they will take jobs that break the law, provided the pay is good. Jogar just so happened to wind up employed by Tallis Steelfang for the Merciless Blades, the most criminal of all the mercenary groups.

His small band of mercenaries did everything from guard caravans to ambush them. They broke into nobleman's estates, and retrieved stolen property for other noblemen. Jogar, through all of this, was a great asset to the team, and his band quickly became the favorite of Miss Steelfang.

When the time came to stir up a little feud, so as to gain a contract with Count Fenber, Jogar and his crew were chosen. They were sent to ambush a caravan that belonged to the Count, and were given House Darl uniforms to wear, so as to implicate the Count's rival.

Everything went according to plan, at least until they returned to the city. At the gates, they were apprehended by the guards; the Captain of the Guard, Mirel Aegis, had discovered their plot and laid a trap for them. The ambush had led to nothing, for she had defused the situation in time. Jogar and his friends were tossed in prison.

Descarans were a nomadic people. Jogar did not like being confined. His mind raced, seeking a plan of escape. In his desperation to get free, he felt eternity close around him, ripping the air from his lungs. He fell through a space with no sense of down, finally landing on solid ground once again.

He was a planeswalker. He would never be imprisoned by anything, even a world.
So when I saw this week's contest, I started thinking about making a character that was physically imposing, but the laconic suggests that the character need only the physically strongest in any given group, not necessarily the largest.
Jedi, are you aiming for the more literal interpretation of this?
So when I saw this week's contest, I started thinking about making a character that was physically imposing, but the laconic suggests that the character need only the physically strongest in any given group, not necessarily the largest.
Jedi, are you aiming for the more literal interpretation of this?

No. I mean anyone who could fill that archetype. I will try to make this more clear in the post. So  physically imposing with out being overly large is fine.

@chronego: It's one reason I was hesitant using this prompt: These characters aren't usually that magical. So layering in magic is likely to lead to  a lot of green (with white, red, and black possibly getting some secondary love) 
You are Red/Blue!
These characters aren't usually that magical. So layering in magic is likely to lead to  a lot of green (with white, red, and black possibly getting some secondary love) 

That sounds like a challenge to make a blue big guy.
c:<