Best & most useful magic items help please

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I am fairly new to D&D and am trying to wade through the huge lists of magic items that I might want during my campaign play.

I will start as a lvl 1 Changeling Cleric (healy type) with a quick multiclass in bard. I am the healer and buffer and diplomat/face of the party. I am looking for helpful items for social encounters, healing aids, ritual aids, general adventuring gear helpers.

Are there any good combat or non combat usefulness items for charming/diplomacy/invisibility/bluffing/flying ect.. that you would recommend? I will be playing lvls 1-15 most likely.

So far I have got the following list of items from some forum guides, but they lack non combat usefulness items:  (Bolded is first choice)

Weapon of Healing (Mace or staff) 3, 8, 13- + heal

Armor Scale of the Serpent 4, 9, 14- save stun

Armor Teleporting 12, 17

Armor Benefactor 9, 14 - extra heal

Symbol of Hope 3, 8, 13 - saves

2  Symbol of Divinity 2, 7, 12 - + CD

Symbol of Shared Healing 7, 12 - ally heal surge

Symbol of Life 2, 7, 12 - extra healing

1  Symbol of Holy Nimbus  4 ,7, 12 - temp HP for all

Symbol Victory 9, 14 - ally action point

Symbol Sustenance 17 - prolong effect

Symbol Defense 18 - +5 def

Neck - Healers Broach 4, 9, 14- + heal

Arms - Respite 2, 12 - extra heal

Arms - Bold Manvring  8, 18 - + Def OA

Feet -  Quickness 8, 18- reflex

Feet - Winged 13- free fall/fly

Gloves - Healer 12 - +heal

Head - Mental Onslaught 11- bonus attck

Head - Equilibrium 12- ally save

Ring - Alliance 15- ally surge

Waist - Divine Favour 13- heal surge

Waist - Vim 8 - fort save

Blessed book 1 - spells

Ritual Candle 11 - + spells

Bag of Holding 5

Many of the non-combat items are utility, and as such highly DM dependent.  Whether or not you need a silent grappling hook to sneak into the castle is as much a DM call as anything.  Whether monsters notice light sources from outside their effective range is likely going to be a DM judgment call.  Whether you need to worry about water, camp sites, fire sources, etc. all DM calls.

Char Op doesn't specialize in DM calls, so we don't spend a lot of time here looking at those non-combat items.

The exception is skill boosts.  If you tell us what skills you want to boost, this board will offer options to boost them.

Are there any magic items for boosting Diplomacy & Bluff skills specifically, or a large encounter bonus to any skill?

Does D&D 4e have charming capabilities like charm person where you can adjust attitudes for periods of time? Are there any charming items?

thanks
If skills and rituals is your thing along with being the party face i would suggest going Bard and MC into Cleric or some other leader.
Nothing starts buffing your diplomacy and bluff quite like a Changeling Bard and a high Charisma. 

Are there any magic items for boosting Diplomacy & Bluff skills specifically, or a large encounter bonus to any skill?

Does D&D 4e have charming capabilities like charm person where you can adjust attitudes for periods of time? Are there any charming items?

thanks

1) Choker of Eloquence.

2) No.  Any "charm" like power just gives you a bonus to diplomacy.  So you use that, and make a check.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

... or Mellored's recent el cheapo
and quick rituals thread ; around
here somewhere.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

... or Mellored's recent el cheapo
and quick rituals thread ; around
here somewhere.

Could you direct me to a good ritual listing - the best of the best rituals. Every caster has access to the same rituals right?
I too have been looking for ritual help, but I don't see a link in Mellored's sig, and the search function doesn't bring up anything either.
Nothing starts buffing your diplomacy and bluff quite like a Changeling Bard and a high Charisma. 

Being a half-elf from Waterdeep is helpful, too.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Such a broad question for very situational items.
   Look some more at the slotless items.
    In particular, look at the Battle Standard of Healing, which can be worth up to 30 hp per player [unfortunately hard to use in combat, so 10 hp is more common, but giving everybody in the party an extra surge of healing is no small thing.]
    Its main problem is being uncommon and thus not normally purchasable and there is a long list of other things you want. But if you are the party healer, you should consider getting one.